File:Saimdang, the Herstory.jpg

Drama: Shin Saimdang The Herstory  신사임당

Director: Yun Sang Ho [Bride of the Century, The Legend]

Writer: Park Eun Ryung [Saving Madam Go Bong Shil, Thank You Life]

Network: SBS

Episodes: 30

Broadcast Period :   2017-Jan-26 to 2017-May-04

About the Show

Follows the life of artist, writer and poet Shin Saimdang. She became a symbol for a good wife, great artist and the mother of prominent Confucian scholar Yi I.

Cast of Characters

Main Cast
Lee Young Ae as Korean Art History Lecturer Seo Ji-Yoon / Shin Saimdang
Park Hye Soo as young Shin Saimdang
Song Seung Hun as Lee Gyeom
Oh Yoon Ah as Whieumdang Choi
Yoon Ye Joo as young Whieumdang Choi
Kim Hae Sook
Others
Yoon Da Hoon as Lee Won Soo
Choi Chul Ho
Choi Jong Hwan
Yoon Suk Hwa (윤석화)
Kim Mi Kyung
Park Jung Hak
Lee Joo Yeon
Park Joon Myun
Kim Young Joon
Hong Suk Chun
Sul Jung Hwan (설정환)
Yang Se Jong (양세종)
Jang Suh Kyung (장서경)

Production Notes

Drama series is the first acting role for actress Lee Young-Aesince 2005 film "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" and her first drama series role since 2003 MBC drama "A Jewel in the Palace."

Lee Young-Ae plays two characters in the drama series. Shin Saimdang (born October 29, 1504) is an artist, calligraphist, poet and she appears on the current South Korean 50,000 won bill.

Actor Kam Woo-Sung was offered the lead male role, but declined.

First script reading took place August 4, 2015 at SBS Ilsan Production Center in Tanhyun, South Korea. Lee Young-AeOh Yoon-AhYun Da-HunKim Hae-Sook and other cast members attended except for lead actor Song Seung-Heon.

Filming began August 10, 2015.

source: Dramawiki | Asianwiki

01.Soompi code of conduct SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!

Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. 

Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like   Viki, Dramafever will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee Young-ae to come back in a new drama as Shin Saimdang

photo475817.jpg

Lee Young-ae is coming back as Shin Saimdang in a new drama. One of the reasons she didn't star in MBC drama "Dae Jang Geum 2" was because of this.

A source claimed, "Lee Young-ae has set her mind to play Shin Saimdang the icon of a good mother and wife. The synopsis has been going back and forth for a couple of months now".

Lee Young-ae is now coming back with a drama about a wise mother's educational methods after making history with "Dae Jang Geum" which was exported to 91 countries and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" which was the last thing she starred in 9 years ago.

Lee Young-ae's agency claimed, "Lee Young-ae was greatly interested in the role of Shin Saimdang. Being a mother herself and raising children, she naturally took interest in a role of a woman who is a wise mother and wife".

However, she hasn't closed the deal and is still waiting for specific details.

According to the production, "Shin Saimdang" will start filming in fall and be released next year. It is expected that this drama will be exported internationally under Lee Young-ae's name.

Meanwhile, Lee Young-ae appeared at an appointment ceremony for a promotional ambassador on the 13th and said, "I am grateful for those who are waiting for me. I am trying to balance raising a family and acting at the same time so I will come back with something new as soon as possible".

Source: http://www.osen.co.kr/article/G1109933814

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest MaknaeC

class="article_post_title entry-title" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; font-size: 32px; font-family: 'Playfair Display', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(72, 72, 72); padding: 0px 0px 15px; text-transform: capitalize; letter-spacing: 0.800000011920929px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Lee Young Ae To Make Her Drama Comeback After 11 Yearsla1.jpg
Ilgan Sports - Naver: Lee Young Ae cast in sageuk drama 'Saimdang'... makes comeback after 11 years 

1. [+1969, -154] Finally, we get to see Young Ae noonim in hanbok. Let's all take a bow.
2. [+1433, -93] This will be my first Lee Young Ae drama after graduating from elementary school.. I'm in my mid-20s now... I'm anticipating this
3. [+1154, -77] Perfect.. Oh my...
4. [+1088, -148] Full-time CF model, part-time actress
5. [+724, -75] Oooh I hope it hits daebak. Fighting!!
6. [+127, -30] Isn't her husband a swindler?.........
7. [+107, -16] She still looks the same
8. [+29, -3] Please cast Yoo Seung Ho as Yulgok (note: Yulgok is Shin Saimdang's son)

source: kkuljaem
-----------------------
Oh My God!!! So, she is really confirmed for this drama, right? I wanna scream I'm so happy! I'm waiting for her comeback for so many years and she will comeback with saeguk, that makes me more happy >.<

class="entry-title" style="background-color: transparent; border: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 10px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px 40px 0.1em 0px; vertical-align: baseline; word-wrap: break-word; font-size: 20px; clear: both; color: rgb(0, 0, 85);"Lee Young Ae Confirmed for Pre-produced Sageuk Drama Saimdang Airing in Early 2016Posted on March 24, 2015 by ockoalamunans.jpg
I’ll believe this latest drama casting news when the actual dramas airs and not a moment before that. With that said, all the news portals are reporting this casting as confirmed so let’s go with that for the time being. Original Hallyu superstar actress Lee Young Ae, she of the titular saeguk drama Dae Jang Geum which remains the most watched K-drama of all time by miles and miles and miles, will be making her acting comeback after ten years away from the industry.
Lee Young Ae will be returning to the small screen in early 2016 with the sageuk drama Saimdang: The Herstory, chronicling the life and times of Joseon era artist and calligrapher Shim Saimdang who was given the posthumous moniker Wise Mother. Lee Young Ae was offered this project back in the summer of 2014, with the drama reportedly being written and produced specifically with her in mind. That’s not a stretch based on her star power and track record, having gone on acting hiatus on a high ten years ago with both television’s Dae Jang Geum followed by the hit movie Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.munans2.jpg
Lee Young Ae is grace and class personified, both as an actress and reportedly in her real life great reputation within the industry. She is also enviably one of those lovely ladies who only gets prettier with age, just like Kim Hee Ae and Kim Hee Sun. Saimdang will be produced by Group Eight and the story a rendering of the real life Joseon era genius artist with a fictional epic romance thrown in. Plus Lee Young Ae will be playing two characters, the historical Shim Saimdang and her modern day descendant who is a college art history professor. Saimdang will be penned by the old-school scriptwriter from Second Proposal, Saving Mrs. Go Bong Shil, and Thank You My Life. The drama will complete casting shortly and start filming this June, planning to be completely pre-produced. Group Eight is already in talks with China for this drama to air on Chinese television or web portals simultaneously with the Korean airing in early 2016.

Source: Koalasplayground.com

Lee Young Ae to Return to Acting after 11 Years with Drama “Saimdang, the Herstory”ck525 March 24, 2015
Lee-young-ae.jpg
Lee Young Ae will be returning to her acting career after 11 years in “Saimdang, the Herstory.”
On March 25, drama production company Group Eight said, “Lee Young Ae has confirmed her appearance in the drama ‘Saimdang.’ We will officially start production immediately in order to air around early next year.”
“Saimdang” retells the story of Shin Saimdang’s ingenious art skills and tragic love life. Lee Young Ae will be playing the role of both an art professor from the modern ages and Shin Saimdang. The plot will shift back and forth from the past to the present as the professor tries to discover the mystery behind Saimdang’s diary and a mysterious painting.
“We have thought of Lee Young Ae as the perfect actress for Saimdang because of her elegant and sophisticated image ever since we were on the drawing board . We’re already excited to see how Lee Young Ae will interpret the legendary female figure in her own way,” the producers said. “We are hoping to start airing in early 2016. We’ve already been receiving a wave of calls from media representatives in China and Japan after announcing Lee Young Ae’s participation. We are currently evaluating the possibility of simultaneously airing in China as well.”
Park Eun Ryung, a popular scriptwriter for her work in “The Woman Living Across the Street,” “Second Proposal,” and “Saving Mrs. Go Bong Shil,” will be in charge of the drama’s script. Filming for the drama will start in June.
Source: [Soompi]

Lee Young Ae to Return to Dramas After 11 Years with ′Saimdang′Breaking her hiatus of 11 years, Lee Young Ae will be returning to the small screen with the new drama, Saimdang, the Herstory. 
On March 25, the drama production company, Group 8, stated, "Lee Young Ae has confirmed to appear in Saimdang, the Herstory. With the goal of airing in early 2016, production will begin. 
After much consideration, Lee Young Ae has chosen Saimdang, the Herstory as her comeback project, which will redefine the life of Shin Saimdang, a genius artist from the Chosun era
In the drama, Lee Young Ae will play the two roles of an university lecturer of Korean art and Shin Saimdang. Her character stumbles upon the journal of Shim Saimdang and begins going through all the art secrets of the past as the drama hops back and forth in time.89975003.jpg
The drama production company stated, "It′s not wrong to say that we began the planning with Lee Young Ae in mind. We decided that Lee Young Ae′s traditional and elegant image fit very well with Saimdang, the Herstory. We′re already excited to see how Lee Young Ae will act in Saimdang, the Herstory." 
"We′re preparing the production with early 2016 as the broadcast goal. With news that Lee Young Ae has joined the project, we′re already being drowned with inquiries from drama affiliates from China and Japan. China is even considering airing the drama at the same time." 
Saimdang, the Herstory will be written by Park Eun Ryung, who penned Women Next Door, Second Proposal, and Saving Ahjumma Go Bong Sil. As writer Park Eun Ryung has written dramas that focus on the worries and lives of mothers, people are waiting to see how she will portray the mother of Korea, Saimdang, in the drama. 
After concluding MBC′s Dae Jang Geum in 2004, Lee Young Ae took a hiatus from dramas. Her last project was in 2005 for director Park Chan Wook′s Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. It will Lee Young Ae′s comeback project in 10 years, and for dramas, 11 years. 
Saimdang, the Herstory will begin the casting process and begin filming in June. 
Photo Credit: Group 8
Source: [Mwave]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MaknaeC

class="content-title" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1.4em; font-size: 23px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(63, 63, 64); text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 1px 1px 0px; visibility: visible; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Kam Woo Sung in Talks to Star Alongside Lee Young Ae in New Dramakamwoosung.png

Actor Kam Woo Sung has been offered a role in the upcoming drama “Saimdang” starring Lee Young Ae.

According to his agency, Kam Woo Sung recently met up with a representative of “Saimdang” to discuss the drama. Contrary to some reports, however, he has not looked at the script or accepted the role yet.

If the actor decides to take on the role, “Saimdang” will mark his return to the screen only a year after the end of MBC’s “My Spring Day.”

Actress Lee Young Ae has already been confirmed for the lead role. She will be playing both Shin Saimdang, a famous artist of the Joseon Dynasty, and a modern art professor.

The drama is expected to air on SBS.

source: soompi

Guest MaknaeC

Kam Woo-sung courted to be Lee Young-ae’s leading man
KamWooSung1.jpg

Now that Lee Young-ae (Dae Jang Geum) has confirmed her drama comeback in the biopic Saimdang, The Herstory, the casting rounds have begun to find her leading man. The offer is currently out to Kam Woo-sung (My Spring Days) to co-star, which would mark his first sageuk in five years since he headlined King Geunchogo.

Saimdang is a Joseon-era historical drama about real-life artist, poet, and calligrapher Shin Saimdang, known as Wise Mother. She lived in the 16th century, and the drama will be set in both her lifetime and the present day, with Lee Young-ae playing dual roles. She’ll be a present-day historian who discovers a secret in Shin Saimdang’s life and sets out to unravel the mystery. She then also plays Shin Saimdang in the past, as the drama explores her unusual life as an educated woman in Joseon, and tells the story of her epic love. 

read more-dramabeans

Guest MaknaeC

History about Shin Saimdang, a remarkable woman, wife, mother, artist, writer, poet, teacher.

Shin Saimdang, Mother, Poet and Artist (1504 – 1551)

Written by Mark Peterson
Professor of Korean Studies, Brigham Young University

50000won.jpg

ShinSaimdangpainting01.jpg

The most famous woman of Korean history is Shin Saimdang (1504 – 1551). She is honored today with an award in her name, which is basically the “mother of the year” award. Recently she was selected to appear on the new monetary denomination, ₩ 50,000 note. She was an artist and a poet and the mother of one of the two great scholars of Confucianism in Korean history — Yi I (also known by the penname, Yulgok).

Shin was born in 1504, died in 1551. She married a man named Yi Wonsu who originally was from Paju, just north of Seoul. Although she was a remarkable woman in her own right, her fame was linked to that of her famous son, Yulgok, Yi I. Yi was one of the most famous scholar-officials in the Neo-Confucian vein, and Koreans have come to think of Yulgok and his mother in the same way they think of the great Chinese scholar Mencius who also had a famous mother. In a parallel to the life of Mencius, who was taught by his mother, Yulgok was taught by his mother as a young child. And in the same way that Mencius came to be regarded as a great scholar of Confucianism, in large measure, because of his mother, Yulgok became a great scholar and his mother is credited with his early education.

Poet and Artist

She was famous as a poet and artist. When she left her native Kangnung after bearing seven children and went with her husband to Seoul, she penned one of her most-famous poems. Later, in the late seventeenth century onward, in a fully Confucianized society where women were required to leave home at the time of marriage, women identified with the sentiments of Shin Saimdang on leaving one’s mother behind. At the time of Shin Saimdang, however, her husband had moved into her home in her village and she did not leave as a young bride, but rather as an older woman accompanying her husband who was a government official. She wrote:

유대관령망친정

늙으신 어머님을 고향에 두고
외로이 서울로 가는 이 마음
이따금 머리들어 북촌을 바라보니
흰구름 떠있는 곳 저녁산만 푸르네

Looking Back at my Parents' Home while Going Over Daegwallyŏng Pass

I leave my elderly mother behind in Kangnung
Wracked with emotions, I am alone on the road to Seoul
I look back at my home, and for a moment take hope.
The white clouds flying below shroud the mountain green.

read more chosonkorea

• 1 month later...

May 20, 2015

Lee Young-ae's new drama to begin shooting in July

Broadcaster SBS on Wednesday confirmed that actress Lee Young-ae’s new drama will begin shooting in July.

The drama tells the story of Shin Saim-dang, a Joseon period artist and poet who was also the mother of the Korean Confucian scholar Yulgok.

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20150520
Publicity posters for "Saimdang, the Herstory," starring Lee Young-ae, scheduled to broadcast next year. (SBS)

In the drama, Lee will play the roles of Shin and a modern day professor of Korean art history. 

The drama will be prerecorded and directed by Yoon Sang-ho, the director of the 2009 MBC drama “Tamra, the Island.” 

The drama’s producing company said that shooting will begin in July, and that the drama will be broadcast during the first half of next year. 

“I enjoyed Yoon’s ‘Tamra, the Island.’ I am glad that I can work with him on my drama comeback,” Lee said. 

The upcoming drama will be the actress’s first television series since “Jewel in the Palace,” which aired on MBC in 2003. 

Related article: Lee Young-ae stars on cover of China fashion mag

By Choi He-suk (cheesuk@heraldcorp.com)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

@Kaizen68, thank you for starting the thread and all the info. you provided.

Thank you to all contributors.

@MaknaeC, thank you for the historical article about Shin Saimdang. Love it..

Here is an another article, which gives us some additional details about the drama.

Star Re-Shining

“Saimdang, the Herstory” to be Framed by Lee Young-ae’s Touch

Left: Lee Young-ae, who will play Shin Saimdang in an upcoming TV production. Right: Chochungdo, a painting genre initiated by Shin Saimdang, depicting plants and insects.

Left: Lee Young-ae, who will play Shin Saimdang in an upcoming TV production. Right: Chochungdo, a painting genre initiated by Shin Saimdang, depicting plants and insects.

Lee Young-ae will be returning to the TV soon. After her marriage and childbirth she took a 10-year hiatus. But her fans couldn’t forget her, and still miss her role as the main character in “Daejanggeum,” which was also known as “Jewel in the Palace.” Exported to over 90 countries, the epic smash hit drama raised the Korean Wave around the globe. Lee spread Korean taste and flavor like a tsunami, surpassing geographic borders and ethnic boundaries.

Yesterday a South Korean drama production announced her appearance in its new project. What induced her elegant choice for a comeback is the life story of genius female artist Shin Saimdang who lived in the 16th century Joseon Dytnasy. The producer explained that Lee’s highbrow, refined image exactly matches Saimdang enough to guide viewers to rediscover the life of one of the most respected women in Korean history. Viewers are already anticipating her authentic performance and her role as a civilian ambassador who will introduce the excellence of Korean culture to the whole world.

Lee will play a double role in “Saimdang, the Herstory,” which will tell us a story-within-a-story starring a university lecturer of Korean art history who finds a secret diary of the poet, artist, and mother who raised Lee Yul-gok, the greatest scholar of the time. Moving between the past and present, her interactive narration is going to arrest viewers with the full breadth of a free spirit who never failed her dream as a woman, artist, wife, and mother, even in a rigid Confucian society with notorious gender discrimination.

After confirming Lee’s starring role, the production agency said that it will begin filming the new TV series in June after months of pre-production, and from the first half of next year it will start to air. Being aware of her name value and successful career in the cultural content industry, oversees studios are highly attentive to her return. One Chinese production is considering simultaneous releases both in China and Korea.

Depicting the highly-gifted artist Saimdang's passion for art and immortal love for her family, Herstory reinterprets an ancient Korean woman who was an all-around success in every part of life into the contemporary meaning of art, education, and family. She will portray a full and varied life delivering unchanging value to all lives. We as the audience will enjoy her acting, one of Korea’s greatest living actresses portraying one of Korea's living national treasures, and expect another rise of Hallyu.

Source

Some conflicting reports about Kam Woo-Sung being cast/not being cast. No news about it posted at his agency Clover Company, so I guess we just wait.

UPDATE:  It looks like Woo-Sung is out. I'd sure like to see him work again, before he completely ages out of the leading roles.  (Then again, he probably would like, to, too.  It can be hard to find the right project.)  Best of luck to Lee Young-Ae!  I loved her in "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance."

• 3 weeks later...

Lee Young Ae Wows Judging the Miss Korea Pageant and Prepares to Film Sageuk Drama Saimdang, the Herstory

twho8.jpg

Famed K-actress Lee Young Ae made a double news splash this week in her usual low key but undeniably classy way. First came news that filming is about to start on her upcoming fully pre-filmed K-drama Saimdang, the Herstory. With this news came two production created posters featuring Lee Young Ae in her costume hanbok playing the titular role of Shin Saimdang, the real life late Joseon era female calligrapher, poet and scholar given the posthumous moniker of Wise Mother. I can’t think of another K-actress better suited to play this renowned person.

Read more HERE

July 24, 2015

Lee Young-ae's new drama syndicated even before filming

SEOUL, July 24 (Yonhap) - Actress Lee Young-ae's upcoming drama has been syndicated to six countries even before the start of its production, producers said Friday.

"Saimdang, the Herstory" is a drama that reinterprets the life of Shin Saimdang, the mother of Korean Confucian scholar Yulgok. It goes back and forth through time, and Lee will play both Shin and a college art history instructor in the modern era.

The show has been syndicated through Turner Entertainment Company to six Asian countries, including China, Japan, Thailand and Singapore, production company Group8 said.

"It's extremely rare for a show to be syndicated even before its filming," Group8 said in a statement, adding the right to broadcast was also sold at an undisclosed record price. "It just reaffirms Lee's status (as one of the most popular actresses in Asia)."

The filming will start next month, with the show scheduled to be broadcast in the first half of 2016 on the South Korean terrestrial network SBS.

AEN20150724002900315_01_i.jpg

The poster for the upcoming drama “Saimdang, the Herstory,” starring actress Lee Young-ae, who will play the mother of Korean Confucian scholar Yulgok (Yonhap) The poster for the upcoming drama “Saimdang, the Herstory,” starring actress Lee Young-ae, who will play the mother of Korean Confucian scholar Yulgok (Yonhap)

sojungpark@yna.co.kr

Actor Song Seung-Heon has been offered the leading male role in upcoming period SBS drama series SAIMDANG, THE HERSTORY which has already cast Lee Young-Ae in the title character role. Actress Lee Young-Ae previously starred in mega-popular 2003 MBC drama series "Jewel in the Palace."

If Song Seung-Heon accepts, he will play Lee Gyeom. His character has a free spirit, but is suffocated by his aunt's nagging and solemn servants. He then sees a woman of fate. That woman is Saimdang (Lee Young-Ae).

SAIMDANG, THE HERSTORY first airs sometime during the first half of next year in South Korea.

Embedded image permalink

Source: AsianWiki

C-news: LEE YOUNG AE'S UPCOMING DRAMA SOLD ITS OVERSEAS LICENSING RIGHTS

AT HISTORICAL RECORD HIGH PRICES.

CR: ALLTHATSTAR

E84H7jQ.jpg

Wow! So exciting! Can't wait for LYA to return to the small screen. If SSH accepts the offer, that'll be awesome! :P

Hello everyone :) 

Song Seung-Heon, is he going to work with Lee Yeong-Ae? During the final discussion on ‘Saimdang’

15102_1.jpg

Actor Song Seung-Heon is coming back to drama in 3 years.

On July 24th, there was report, “Song Seung-Heon is making a final discussion with the production crews. There was not a firm contract yet, but there is a discussion going on.

If Song Seung-Heon decides to appear on ‘Saimdang’, he is appearing on drama after 3 years since ‘When Man Falls in Love’ in 2013.

Meantime, ‘Saimdang’ is a reinterpretation of Saimdang, about her artistic soul and eternal love. It will be broadcasted from the early of next year.

Source

Archived