[Drama 2014-2015] Valid Love 일리있는 사랑

brokbsb

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, my friend who is a huge fan of UTW is finally done watching this drama. I asked for her opinion and she said, "Man, it's a waste of my time. So frustrating. As much as I love UTW, I wish they three go their separate ways. That's my take." I'm surprised with her answer actually. Glad she's not bias-blind after all. 

@TeBe OMG That screen cap is what Valentine's Day is all about ^^ Can't believe that the chemistry between them is just LEAPING off the screen.  Ok, I think I'm going to rematch episodes 3 to 9 :)
@lc85  Yes, it is hard to recover :-S  But being masochist, I think I'll watch 50 Shades of Grey instead and visualize that in the Korean Version Kim Joon/LSH will be doing the whipping, paddling, and of course HAMMERING :D  IDK why LSH is making me think BDSM and Tantra at the same time:)  
One thing I am super curious about is how many hours does LSH work out in a day to maintain that hot bod? 

You girls are blind and superficial! How can you miss the chemistry between IR and the pollack? Look into the fish eyes, all the love and caring and passion and... what is it? Ah.. grain of sand.. well. You can't miss the chemistry. It's there and it's HUGE.
On the other hand what we have? A carpenter (pfffft.... carpenter! The pollack is a scientist!) who can't remember that 3x3= (Is it nine? Yes I'm sure it is) 9... C'mon! Of course the writer chose the pollack! This is why the script is written during the shooting: if the chemistry between two characters is leaping all around you must stick them together in the name of realism, otherwise the viewers will think that you are making fun of them!

By the way.... I'm thinking to buy spectacles from a certain korean writer person. Does someone want to contribute?

@TeBe OMG That screen cap is what Valentine's Day is all about ^^ Can't believe that the chemistry between them is just LEAPING off the screen.  Ok, I think I'm going to rematch episodes 3 to 9

:)

@lc85  Yes, it is hard to recover :-S  But being masochist, I think I'll watch 50 Shades of Grey instead and visualize that in the Korean Version Kim Joon/LSH will be doing the whipping, paddling, and of course HAMMERING :D  IDK why LSH is making me think BDSM and Tantra at the same time:)  

One thing I am super curious about is how many hours does LSH work out in a day to maintain that hot bod? 

Oh dear @snklgs‌ -- and LSH would have that deep, sexy voice to go with your K version of 50 shades!! :P

wow!

The K version of 50 shades is probably light years away -- after reading some VL fan posts here about VL. I don't know any kdrama writer/ producer who's brave enough to tackle this topic. Certainly not KDW ---! The whole hammer scene of VL got some viewers' undergarments in a bunch (lol) saying it's violent -- ohh puhleeze!

But LSH as the K version of Christian Grey? -- YES!!

Haha!! @ascsp‌ -- brilliant!!

Edit: before anyone accuses me of being a terrible momma of 2 girls for supporting my VL chingu @snklgs‌ to recover from her VL blues by watching 50 shades --- I won't be offended. (LOL). :P

@lc85 he's also a model. Hands down, he also wins in terms of having a hot bod...Super golden torso. Yes, and I'm totally sick^^ and an anti feminist^^ and all shades of abnormal^^ for finding that hammer scene hawt:) in my version though, they would've banged against that wall THEN on the.floor...on the table...all over Castadiva! That would've been legal adultery \:D/

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU @ascsp for that image...  \m/ 
Yes, a carpenter is definitely POREVER! Too bad writernim is scared to jump off the plane and skydive with this character. She missed seeing the beauty and chose to stay in the plane till the end. Writernim, PLEASE don't attempt such foolish dreams in the future. If you're not brave to go all the way, don't think about it. HT character wasn't written as someone without flaws either so it's VERY hard for me to see a woman goes back to the man who could easily slap her so hard with the same hand that just touched his noggin. Eww... 

@lc85 I think some k movies do go above and beyond...for example Pieta . But not sure whether LSH has a vision about his image or would he take the risk of choosing roles that are not status quo.

About the bunched up panties... my solution to that is to take it off^^....with a hammer^^

...was thinking that the saddest.part of VL was we didn't get any Valid.Adultery^^ or kinky stuff like ramyun play;)

I think all of them should have gone their separete ways, but wow...was I the only one who thought the actual plot was okay? It wasn't amazing like Bad Guys or Misaeng, or even thought provoking like White Christmas (even if it had it's own flaws), but it wasn't the worse thing in the world. The ending was lacking, but the majority of kdramas tend to have crappy endings so that was to be expecting.

About lack of bang bang scene(s)... I didn't miss it at all but here my 2 cents about it

1) Maybe HT is a pollack but not a dumb one: he don't want his mackerel back if someone else bite it (I can understand it)
2) Maybe LSY don't want to shoot bed scenes (I can understand it)
3) Maybe LSH don't want to shoot bed scenes (I can understand it... but.... WHY????? No, I'm joking, I totally understand it)
4) When the writer saw the chemistry between the little confused wife and the big bad carpenter thinked "RED ALERT! My poor good husband can't compete with all of this, I can't have the end that I chose with mother Teresa 15 years ago!" and canceled all the bed scenes from the script.
5) The most probable one: the writer wanted to tell us a story about deep feelings and human nature, and not about hard simple lust and this is a good choice in my opinion: this drama sucks a lot but has some good points that raise it above the average.

So girls... no 50 Shades of carpentry on the Castadiva's workbenches.
Sorry  :P

My main disappointment is the lack of actual adultery:) One track mind consistency in terms of my main rant^^ Now, it would have been nicer if the story actually kept to a coherent flow. But, IDK really how to think of this drama as adultery-themed given the way the premise was set up.  They should put a disclaimer" Viewer beware. There is no actual legal copulation in the legal adultery sense of the word happening in this drama"
@ascsp  LOL "big bad carpenter" & "50 shades of carpentry on CastaDiva's benches":) Love the way you put these words together.
But really, the way they set up CastaDiva, it is quite monastic since there is really no place to "lounge" and relax. Even Kim Joon's bed is small and narrow. That was definitely a sign that we weren't going to see any sexytimes happening in CastaDiva....while HT and IR had that marriage bed in their apartment.  So it was like.... 
IR: " KJ, you are so hot, but my delicate bum cannot have hot smexy times with you on wooden stools and benches....I need a REAL bed!"
Too bad, because they could've totally give new meaning and purpose to that wide table and the rocking chair--- I mean they don't call it table or rocking for nothing^^

@MochiRochi
Yes, Kim Doo Woo is the writer of Valid Love and my personal dilemma.

As european viewer I am really trying to figure out what was the original intent of the writer, because I need to get rid of this Valid love porever and ever. I really think that an european viewer like me could figure out something from this 20 episodes, despite cultural differences, and I am not talking about moral of the story, I'm talking about putting together all the pieces into a whole picture.

I don't know if Valid love (like other kdramas) had to have a moral, but this is not important because all the stories have something like that, and the best ones are those with the inner moral conceiled by the feeling of reality. But for sure Valid love had to have a core, something that can put together all the pieces into a coherent picture.

Now, weeks after the (dreadful) end of the drama, I think that Kim Doo Woo was trying to tell us a story about the kind of love that gives meaning to life, and that isn't the predictable one (aka love as automatic consequence of the marriage/affair). Maybe she was trying to show us a typical situation where a marriage can't go on and on without effort. Being married doesn't meen being automatically happy. Yes, cheating is not the solution, but the human need to be happy, truly happy, is very powerful and cannot be ignored, so maybe trying to make the marriage work is for the better, instead of pester some neighborhood carpenter.

Ok, if this was the real intent of Kim Doo Woo, many things of the story make more sense, but not everything. If the only problem of the marriage was the lack of happiness, all the dementia plot, HS illness, cheating father, was for.... what?
I think that HS illness was for show us the hardness of IR life, but at this point I wonder if it was necessay. The hard and simple dragging on and on of a neglected marriage isn't enough? No. It wasn't because for the writer HT and IR love is fated, so without HS illness just after their honeymoon they would have been happy porever and ever day by day as soulmates without really make efforts!
And this is the major problem of this drama: the damned rubbish about (first) fated love and soulmates that watered the real life issue of a neglected marriage that could be immensely more interesting!

That's why HT doesn't lift a finger for 20 episodes: he is the one chosen by fate, so he doesn't need to do something. When his anger subsides he can sit by the river and wait for IR to flow back to him. The end
Dementia plot was there for viewers that can't stand cheating women so they need something to feel better about IR.
SJ was for show us that HT can't escape from his fated role of IR husband.
In laws were there to show us that fated love isn't always easy but lasts until the end (.... for pete's sake!)
Kim Joon was there as engine of the affair because IR being destined to HT couldn't pursuit another man for too long.
And lack of real adultery? Because there is a limit to this rubbish about fated love. An actual real life and common sense limit: if you sleep with another man for months and then return home with your stress relieved and a shiny smile, fated or not, I will get rid of you porever for sure.

So, Valid love what was for? Show us something strong about love. A valid one, a not so sugar coated one, with issues and cheating and all, and that's really wonderful: real life, welcome to dramaland!!!!!
BUT all of this is resolved by some rubbish about fate and not by hard work and efforts and actual talks. (Real life? Out from dramaland... as usual....)

@snklgs
Thank you, words are my life time passion, but write in english is still very difficult for me :)

Valid points, @ascsp I agree! 
When the drama was airing, maybe after ep 3, I remembered I was feeling hawt from Kim Joonie fever and asked where's the banging/copulation scenes. This drama is after all labeled as an affair drama. Ain't no affair if there's no copulation. Kisses are just kisses. That's not affair. I can kiss a toad and that doesn't mean I'm having an affair with it. So I read the postings on this thread that said, "This drama is different.....The writer wants to show a different side of an affair....a different type of drama...more on life lessons....get your mind out of gutterland and blah blah blah...." so I waited and waited and see all these sweet scenes KDW gave KJ and IR, waited for the real adultery to happen and nada. That shoes scene is not KJ and IR copulation. They may do spooning but that's about all KDW can handle. If KJ did bang IR, girl won't even run back to her husband. Period.
The ending is simply nonsense. I realized this drama is as stale as mackerel's kiss. KDW shouldn't writer another affair drama till she "grow up". Want to show me real world affair drama, then include everything!! We are adult audiences. We can handle richard simmons. 
UTW's words made sense now when he said he realized he doesn't have to prepare anything for his role. Cos HT doesn't have to do anything to win his woman back. She's served to him on a silver platter in the end. Pfft. 

Oh, no. I loved to great extent sweet scenes between little red IR and big bad carpenter. Oh yes! I was captivated, hooked, mesmerized by those scenes. I was blinded. I never missed the banging because they were giving me so much more! Big bad carpenter was a lovely sweet understanding lonely (hot) guy with the most sexy nape of the world and look at those puppy eyes, my god he is a dream can't be real, wake up woman this is only a show, and looook what wonderful ears.... stop! And IR was stronger and more indipendent and happy with the big bad carpenter and she could really work with him and have fun and she was lovely and caring and funny and almost free and... and I forgot! I forgot that all of this was in fate-ruled dramaland and the end of the show shot me right into the forehead and here I am whining over a star crossed couple... whywhywhy..... :((

I definitely agree with you @ascsp

The writer dropped the ball with HT, because no matter how you see it she decided to show Kim Joon and Il Ri as a couple and not IR and HT. I still don't understand why their flashbacks, whenever they thought about the other, was during the high school scenes. We're told that they have a great marriage that made people jealous, but we never saw it. You can't root for a married couple on a show if you don't show them as a married couple. The only time they had scenes together where they actually interacted for more than a minute or so was after the slap incident. Before then, it was KJ/IR all the time and HT off doing his work.

So, how can you root for a married couple when one of them cheats, the other one is hardly around, and they don't communicate like adults? That again polarizes them as a couple. So even though they ended up together in the end, I don't think anyone really care about it like we were suppose to.

I still feel like the best ending would be for all of them to go their separate ways and seeing them grow as individuals instead of being stuck with each other because it just feels forced. There was no reason for IR to go to HT's home. There was no need for KJ to indulge in Miss Go's fantasies. And there was no reason for all of them to be together, when they needed space to think and figure out what it was that they truly wanted.

But then I remember that this is a kdrama and from the very beginning I compared it to OohLaLa Couple. Because I had that drama in the back of my mind as I watched this, it was easier to just accept things. And even though I didn't really care if HT and IR got back together, I at least understood it better than OohLaLa Couple.

Archived