[Drama 2014] 9th Boy/Plus Nine Boys - 아홉수 소년 - Thank You For Watching!

The first episode was really nice~ The characters are likeable so far and I love how they mentioned celebrities (e.g., Park Hae-il, Kim Shin-young) and their "misfortunes" in the opening scene. Also had a good laugh at the "uglizing" talk during Dong Goo's audition scene (poor Macaulay Culkin and Harry Potter!) and Min Goo's unfortunate bowel problem. Hilarious!

I found out about this drama because of the little cutie Lee Chaemi (loved her in Two Weeks) and was pretty much only interested in her storyline with the other cutie, Choi Ro-woon lol. I'll have to continue watching because this 'Plus nine' curse that the male characters are under is quite an appealing (and amusing!) concept on its own.

Love the indie music used throughout the ep! I was so excited when I heard the familiar tunes of 10CM's songs in the background ♥️♥️ Thanks for the track list, @nancykimlee‌ and @AnBlue‌. I was trying to figure out some of the song titles because I remember listening to them before, but now I don't have to search anymore! :)

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hunterdd

Finished episode 1. 
Really liked all the 29s year old cast. This part is solid and interesting. It is going to be the main focus of the show I think.Didn't see enough of the 39 year old uncle, but the actor is fantastic at comedy so expecting a lot.So far the 19s and 9s year old storyline is a bit meh.
Are they are targeting the 13-39 age bracket, because the 19s year old cast looks very young.

Guest itashee

class="content-title"BTOB’s Sungjae Praised for His Acting in “Plus Nine Boys”

ddangha August 30, 2014

sungjae-plus-nine.png

Sungjae of boy group BTOB is under the spotlight for his surprisingly good acting skills he showed in the new tvN drama “Plus Nine Boys.”

Many praised the idol’s acting in the first episode of the drama, which started airing on August 29. Some are even calling him the next big idol actor.

In the drama, Sungjae appears as Kang Min Gu, a 19-year-old high school judo athlete.

Previously, Sungjae showed his acting chops on tvN’s “Reply 1994” in a supporting role.

After the broadcast of the first episode, Sungjae posted on his social network site, “I watched it, nervous that it would be awkward! I’ll try my best to show a better performance in the future! Thanks to everyone who tuned in for the broadcast. ‘Plus Nine Boys’ hwaiting! Kang Min Gu hwaiting!”.

“Plus Nine Boys” is about four boys – a 9-year-old, a 19-year-old, a 29-year old, and a 39-year-old, each with their own love story. By the end of the drama, only one character is supposed to succeed in his romantic endeavors.

Source:http://www.soompi.com/2014/08/30/btobs-sungjae-praised-for-his-acting-in-plus-nine-boys/

Guest nancykimlee

"Track 2" songs Jin Goo search for signs of co-workers dating online: I know the band is Jeju Boys 재주소년, but unsure of the song.Jin Goo's chocolate realization: 전태익 - 니가 날 좋아해주면 좋겠어Jin Goo gazing at Se Young at coffee shop: 빌리어코스티 - 한참을 말없이 and again when Jin Goo and Jae Bum are playing basketballSung Jae selfie and sees Soo Ah again: Peterpan Complex - 봄봄봄Jin Goo typing at office with flashback: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvPlOLEeneYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvPlOLEeneYIt snows, Jin Goo grabs an umbrella: 

Kwang Soo in his room/phone call: 
again when Kwang Soo is in the car to GwanghamunKwang Soo arrives at the art gallery: 재주소년 - 유년에게Kwang Soo smiling in front of painting: 
@iloveporkandbeans :x
It's still early, but I think this is my favorite Kim Young Kwang role to date, though 'White Christmas' remains one of the best things I've seen, and his chemistry with Kyung Soo Jin is effortless and adorable. I love Se Young! Girl knows how to eat, is good with kids and can hang with guys and girls. I think it's safe to assume that Se Young has reciprocal feelings for Jin Goo but whatever happened in the past has kept both hesitant. Maybe with Jae Bum's looming confessions, Jin Goo will finally muster up the courage to say what he really feels because right now, he's just testing the waters by teasing and putting it out there but not in an official "I like you, I want to be with you" kind of way. 

@the girl who! Agree! This OST is pretty much awesome, and I'd love to hear some Lee Juck, as well as Lucid Fall and Ggotjam Project, too. :) 
@miky88 Agree. Dong Goo needs to be humble and understand that his cute face only worked when he was younger, but if he wants to stay in the biz and grow, he'll need to refine his acting chops and go against Do Min Joon, which btw, LOL. 
@hunterdd The 29 yr. old Kim Young Kwang is headlining this drama so his romance with Kyung Soo Jin will take precedence. We'll see more of the 39 yr. old Oh Jung Se too, probably when he runs into Yoo Da In, perhaps? I was thinking that maybe her character, also named Da In, are the noisy upstairs neighbors..? And I'm looking forward to Min Goo officially meeting Soo Ah and not just admiring her from a distance. :)

Guest TerezaT

Done watching ep 2, Plus 9 boy is definately in my drama list now. I like the way how simple it is. No jealousy, no rich-poor problem, no bad second lead, they are all real people but still interesting enough to be watchable.

Guest itashee

class="entry-title"

A nice review of ep1.

class="entry-title"Plus Nine Boys – First ImpressionPosted on September 1, 2014 by kooriyuki

I admit: ever since the announcement of Show, I’d been waiting (im)patiently for Show to start. And it didn’t disappoint me, well at least for the premiere week. Plus Nine Boys is zippy fun, with lots of meta jokes to boot and a Mom who’s so incessantly superstitious that makes me wonder if her boys’ and brother’s bad luck is self-fulfilling prophecy.

tvn-ec9584ed9989ec8898-ec868ceb8584-e01-

So apparently there’s this superstition that when one’s age has a number 9 in it, one is doomed for that year. Show started with supposedly real examples of famous people who had terrible misfortunes in their “9” year: Comedian Kim Shin Young, who was 9 when she accidentally drank her father’s tonic, which made her grew fat ever since; movie actor Park Hae-il, who was 19 when he got into an accident so bad that he had to take his final exams in a hospital room; boxer Shim Geun Ho, who was 29 when he was dumped by his girlfriend who married someone else immediately after, and since then Shin remained single; and lastly, TV personality Lee Kyung Ae, who was 39 when she had a freak accident involving microphones, and since then she has phobia of holding microphones and will always wear rubber gloves when holding one.

Show drives home the idea of bad luck in the age with a 9 in it, and introduces us our boys, each 10 years apart from another. Mom Goo Bok Ja (Kim Mi Kyung) is ultra superstitious, and often consults a man whom she calls “Bodhisattva” (Park Hyuk Kwon), but the man insists he believes in Christ (ZOMG I loled). He sells her amulets (they’re now in digital version!) which he claims will help her boys avert crises for the year.

The eldest son is Kang Jin Goo (Kim Young Kwang), 29, a travel agent/planner; the middle son is 19, Kang Min Goo (Yook Sung Jae of BTOB), and the yougest is Kang Dong Goo (Choi Ro Woon), aged 9. Their uncle is Goo Kwang Soo (Oh Jung Se), and he heads the pack of the unlucky boys at the age of 39. The boys have their own set of problems each, and honestly speaking I don’t know who’s got it worse.

Uncle Kwang Soo suffer from work woes (the main singer of a rock band flashes at a live music program), and gets transferred to a helm as the PD of a lesser known variety program. He is told by a fortune-teller that he no longer has any new chances in his love life, and when Kwang Soo feels despair that even his love life is a goner, he is told that he still has chances among his exes. And so his good friend (Kim Kang Hyun, aka Cheon Song-yi’s loyal manager) helps him track down his first love who is still single. Meta joke: this fortune-teller supposedly told Na Young Seok PD to do a travelogue, and that’s how the Grandpa Over Flower series was born.

Jin Goo is a playboy but he has a long time crush on his colleague, Ma Se Young (Kyung Soo Jin). Park Jae Bum (Kim Hyun Joon) completes the trio as Jin Goo’s best friend. The three of them work at the same travel agency, and Se Young disapproves of Jin Goo’s cassanova ways. Jin Goo hides his affection for Se Young, but does sweet things to her, such as taking the same bus daily with Se Young after work, even though the bus she takes goes in a complete different direction from where he stays. So imagine his sense of betrayal when he sees Se Young and Jae Bum dating.

Min Goo is part of his school’s judo team, and is counting on winning the judo competition to enter his choice of university. His world crashes down when he suddenly suffers from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) in the middle of a critical match. A mysterious girl (Park Cho Rong of A Pink) enters his life, but as of Episode 2, there’s still no hint of what she’s going to do in his life.

tvn-ec9584ed9989ec8898-ec868ceb8584-e02-

As for the youngest of the unfortunate boys, Dong Goo is a child actor, who resumes acting after a few years of hiatus. Dong Goo is living in his past glory, and thus has no idea that his method of acting (simply being cute and reading his lines syllabus by syllabus) is backfiring on him and making him the butt of all jokes among the other child actors. Dong Goo has a secret girlfriend Jang Baek Ji (Lee Chae Mi), and how cutely funny (or funnily cute) when Baek Ji says they’ve been dating for the past three years, but Dong Goo shushes her, “I’m a celebrity!” Making kids re-enacting the meta of adult celebrities is absolute brilliance.

tvn-ec9584ed9989ec8898-ec868ceb8584-e02-

Show is still building up the case for our boys, and I’m waiting to see how the superstition will play out and whether the boys will overcome their streak of bad luck. I pretty much like this ensemble cast, and the chemistry between the cast is rather solid. I feel sorry for them because the timeline of the first two episodes supposedly spans over the first few months of 2014, and making the cast wear thick winter clothes in the middle of summer is simply cray cray. So kudos to the cast for enduring the heat and putting up a great performance!

PS: I absolutely love Jae Bum’s poker face!

Source: http://nekosdrama.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/plus-nine-boys-first-impression/

Guest yookduk

@itasheeThanks for the great recap. I laughed real hard when I saw Jae Bum's poker face.:DI love how kim young kwang's story was going and really looking forward to see how Sung Jae's story unfolds.

Guest KoreanA

Hi everyone :-h

I really enjoyed these two episodes :x

The actors and atmosphere in the drama are great,,, :x

I knew Sungjae was an excellent actor and I'm so happy that he is in the very deserved spotlight right now :x

Sungjae-ah Hwaiting :x

I really like you baby boy :D

Archived