[Thai Drama 2013~2015] Hormones The Series วัยว้าวุ่น

yoyo_icecube

Continued

Dinner at Zomzom's. John explains to ZZ that Mali's Thai is not so great. She learned some at her home school in America, but she can't keep up. John asks ZZ's help. ZZ is asked if she has anything to add, she's been quiet for days.

ZZ: "Can this be the end?"

"Zomzom, that's not lovely, not OK!"

Zomzom says to Mali: "At school, you are forbidden to make it look like we know each other. Do not let anyone know we live together. {English} You don't know me at school. I'm not your sister!"

School. ZZ with her friends. Mali walks by in the distance. No communication between them.

Mali comes to the room for the first time. "Hi everybody, my name is Mali. I'm from America. I can speak and read Thai a little."

The teacher gets everyone to introduce themselves, give their nickname, something about themselves.

Phao: "Hi, I'm Phao. I'm handsome, awesome, and lonesome." And very smooth and not so bad at English. ;)

Robot: "I am Robot, I have, uh..." Blinking his eyes. "Sweet eyes, you buffalo [you idiot]!" says Phao. Mali repeats after Phao. Everyone is amused. Phao gets punished. Mali observes this strange new punishment (knocking knuckles on the desk).

5/1. There's a new music teacher. "Luk Dan" is her name. Sun, A, and Ryo are good at recognizing parts of music. The teacher explains BPM (beats per minute).

The whole time, Jane appears disinterested.

"How many bpm?"

Jane gets it right: 120. She explains how she calculated/estimated her answer. They congratulate her. The teacher: "Pretty good, Jane. Nobody else could get it."

The teacher plays a song and wants the students to see how they feel (closing their eyes).

Non and team are working on the recycling election promise.

Boss comes. He carries a paper stamped "Not approved." It pertains to the homework reduction idea. In their meeting, the teachers did not approve it.

Non and he discuss it. Boss suggests that they do more surveys, focus groups, etc. to better explain their opinion and the background of their request.

At night at their home, Zomzom runs into Mali in the kitchen.

Zomzom asks whether Mali knew her dad was gay. "Gay? Yes, I knew," answers Mali in Thai. ZZ: "Aren't you mad about it?" "No, he takes care of me." ZZ asks if Mali is gay, then; as parent, so it should be the child. Mali says she's not gay. ZZ responds, "Heh, sorry. I guess my dad is [gay], too, but I'm not."

Zomzom comes out with her offensive comment that we knew was coming: "I don't like your face."

Mali: "Why? What's wrong with my face?"

Zomzom is fed up. The conersation is over. She says, "Don't wanna look at it. I wanna eat." She walks out.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Continued

First runs into Oil in the outdoor corridor at school. KNP and Oil are going bowling this Saturday. Oil invites First to join. First asks Oil to make an excuse, as the time really approaches, and not come (e.g., "I'm got an upset tummy"). Oil agrees reluctantly. First leaves.

The English teacher has Mali talk in English. "Listen to this. It'll be a good accent to learn."

Mali talks in English. She ends by talking about her dad. "And he was destined to meet the man of his dreams. So now I have two dads, and I think they're happy together." The other kids are a bit confused but still understand.

The girls want to see a photo of her dad. So handsome! They want to know how, if her dad is gay, she was born, etc. They seem to be a gossip group. :P

Phao rescues her from the gossipers. He leads her away. Phao: "This is not a human. This is a robot. I mean his name is Robot." He teaches her vocabulary, including guitar (which is the same).

Siam Paragon, bowling. First is waiting. KNP comes in. They meet. "Oil isn't here yet, right?" asks KNP. Then she gets a text from Oil saying she is sick (stomach virus). KNP calls Oil to check. Oil doesn't answer. "What should we do?" asks KNP. First says they should just play, but KNP hesitates. First: "Whoever wins eats free. Whoever loses pays." This is enough for KNP. It involves free food.

They play.

KNP wins.

They are thinking about how the spoils will be spent.

First grabs her hand and starts walking. KNP is not impressed.

She stares him down.

"I'm sorry," he says. "Pang... Well... I like you."

"First, didn't you hit on Oil? And... I don't like you. Don't do this again." She leaves him standing there, alone.

Definitely a great put-down for someone being such a jerk. Go, KNP! :D

First calls Oil. "Hello, First?" "Oil..." "How was it?" "I'm brokenhearted." "Aww, KNP made it clear and that was it?" "Totally clear. She said that I had hit on you... She was not impressed." Oil talks to him. "Oil, you're right." Oil: "Don't let it get you down, First!" They hang up.

Then we find out that Oil was just around the corner. She peeks out to check First's devastated face. First doesn't notice.

Wow, so creepy, the two of them! :mellow:

The Angels Gang knows about Mali and her two dads by now. They notice her at their table. They approach the table, sit down, and talk to her.

"Let's talk Thai. Watch my mouth: 'My dad is gay [tut, not the Thai word that is pronounced 'gay'].'"

Mali repeats. "What does gay mean?"

They all tease her with these words: "My dad is gay."

It gets to Zomzom's turn. She repeats the words contemplatively, not harshly. Her friends are not impressed with the lack of burn.

They chase Mali out of her seat. Mali says, "Alright," and leaves.

Continued

Zomzom in the cafeteria. She notices Mali in the distance, alone. She forces her friends to sit down elsewhere.

Phao and Robot sit with Mali.

"Hey, Mali, are you fluent in Thai yet?" asks Phao in Thai. In Thai, Mali says she's OK.

Phao bonds with Mali over P'Phu's confusion about his sexuality (or at least, he tries to bond and would probably succeed if Mali completely understood him). "But he's my brother anyway," Phao says in the end.

KNP and Oil. Oil asks about how that day with First was. She hasn't said anything. KNP is slow to reveal the details.Eventually, she tells Oil that he took advantage and grabbed her hand.

"Really?" says Oil.

"Do you like First or not?"

"That's crazy. He's into you."

"You knew?"

"I did."

"But do you like him?"

"That's crazy. No, I don't. Really."

"I don't like First, Oil. If you don't like him, then that's good. He can stay away."

"First doesn't like me. Don't worry about it."

Jane comes. KNP signals to Jane.

The music teacher passes by and tries to get Jane to participate more in music activities. Jane isn't interested in all this extra stuff. She agrees reluctantly to try but would prefer other people to be into it.

First, Pala, Non are eating and drinking in Non's room. I think they asked Pala to drink or have more. Pala has to leave before Grandma gets to school.

At Zomzom's. "Hi, Dad! Hi, Uncle John!" Zomzom sees Mali's glass. It bothers her. She asks if it's just the two of them. They explain where Mali is. She says she didn't ask where anybody is.

Uncle John and Dad talk about whether they should try to talk with her. They put it off for another day.

Zomzom watches a display of affection between Dad and John. She is pissed off, shaken, so many things at once.

Continued

In the science lab: Pala, First, Non, Ter. Zomzom and her friends are in the background.

Non teases Ter. He grabs him from behind and pretends to be sexual. First: "Hey, Non's on top!" Ter is a bit bothered himself, I think.

Zomzom is overhearing and seeing all this joking around, and she is bothered. She yells them down. Pala, meanwhile, is taken in by Zomzom. He stares at her. She yells at him: "What're you looking at?"

After class, Pala slowly approaches Zomzom. ZZ apologizes. He's just staring at her quietly. He grunts OK, though. He can't say anything clearly to her. "OK," she says to close the "conversation." He watches her leave; he's smiling as his eyes follow her.

At the Angels Gang table. They call after Mali as she passes. One of them goes to grab her. Zomzom is uncomfortable.

"I have to get your advice. My friend is pregnant. But the father is gay. What should we do? Oh, what should we do?"

"Hey, you don't have a mother?"

MalI: "No."

"But she must be real, because she bump-bumped with your father, and you were born."

Mali retorts at length in English. Part of her retort is: "What I care about is my dad's in love with her dad [indicating Zomzom]. They love each other." It's in English, but they understand. They get it.

Zomzom cannot control herself and leaves. Her friends call after her. They apologize to Mali.

Zomzom's house. Dad and ZZ are alone. "Are you tired, honey?" asks Dad. "Can we talk?"

Zomzom doesn't exactly agree but gets roped into it. They sit on the couch.

"Zom, love isn't right or wrong. it can happen with anyone, any sex. I want you to understand me, Zom."

"Does Mom know that you're gay?"

"She knows."

Zomzom is not making eye contact. She says, "This is why she left you, right?"

"Yes."

"Why did you do this to Mom? Why did you marry her? Did you ever love her?"

"I did! I do. But not in that way."

"So you deceived Mom! If you wanna be gay, then I give you permission, that's fine. Here." She takes off her skirt and throws it to him.

He cannot reply. He cannot say anything.

Zomzom is left standing there by herself. Her dad leaves the room.

Note: replies merged by Soompi. Two acts in one post.

Continued (end)

Zomzom is crying in her room. She picks up her phone to call Mom. She also sees how bad her state is.

Mom asks what's wrong. "Dad talked to you, right?"

"Dad lied to Mom. How could he do that? I never knew all this."

"Zom, I know it's tough... I cried, too. But crying can't change him and how things are. I started to adapt to it. I started to see your dad as a friend. He was good to me... I'm just telling you what I did. What you decide to do is your own choice; it's your own life, Zom."

"Why can't you take me to be with you, Mom?"

"It'll be good for you there, Zom. You know Dad loves you a lot! Don't think about it too much. Good night! Bye bye, sweetie!"

Zomzom cries more.

Photo of Dad and Zomzom in a frame. (Very touching, I thought.)

Zomzom wakes up. She sees she was mentioned in the Angels Group on WeChat. They ask her not to disappear. They tell her stuff about their dads, too. One dad plays too much golf. One dad snaps a lot. Another does nothing but work all the time. Zomzom smiles at how concerned they are. She says she'll come back.

She goes out of her room, into the kitchen. Dad is up, reading the paper. They look at each other and say nothing. Zomzom takes a seat across from him.

Zomzom asks where "the others" are. They're not there now.

"Dad, I'm sorry."

He says nothing. He just leaves... But he comes back with breakfast for her. He still says nothing. Zomzom cries as she eats.

Next time

Phao wants to join SeeScape. There'll be two guitars. P'Mind even comes to see them play. Robot: "Old girl, new girl, both here for this."

Guest CrypticShan

What a good episode. Are they planning to make us cry in each one? :( Zomzom is the best character for me now. Tough on the outside but really caring on the inside. Her relationship with her Dad is precious too. :) Go Team ZomZom! I like Mali too but she's too innocent for now. It's weird that she's bad at speaking Thai but goes to a regular school anyway. :) 

Thanks a lot bencanuck! :) 

Mali talks in English. She ends by talking about her dad. "And he was destined to meet the man of his dreams. So now I have two dads, and I think they're happy together." The other kids are a bit confused but still understand.

The girls want to see a photo of her dad. So handsome! They want to know how, if her dad is gay, she was born, etc. They seem to be a gossip group. :P

Phao rescues her from the gossipers. He leads her away. Phao: "This is not a human. This is a robot. I mean his name is Robot." He teaches her vocabulary, including guitar (which is the same).

Let me add something from a perspective of a Thai person. The reaction of most kids aren't entirely positive. The girls who saw the picture of Mali's dad said he was handsome and because of that it was a shame he was gay. This is pretty rude but it is a common expression you often hear from Thai people. Phao noticed how inappropriate this was and he went to rescue Mali from them.

The Angels Gang knows about Mali and her two dads by now. They notice her at their table. They approach the table, sit down, and talk to her.

"Let's talk Thai. Watch my mouth: 'My dad is gay [tut, not the Thai word that is pronounced 'gay'].'"

Mali repeats. "What does gay mean?"

They all tease her with these words: "My dad is gay."

The Thai word "Tut" is offensive and derogatory in this context. It is equal to "sissy" if not stronger, perhaps almost most as strong as that F word in English. So basically the girls were trying to get Mali to say "My dad is a fa*****"

In the science lab: Pala, First, Non, Ter. Zomzom and her friends are in the background.

Non teases Ter. He grabs him from behind and pretends to be sexual. First: "Hey, Non's on top!" Ter is a bit bothered himself, I think.

Zomzom is overhearing and seeing all this joking around, and she is bothered. She yells them down.

First got Non to grab Ter and yelled "Non is a top, Ter is a bottom" but Non corrected him saying "I'm versatile". Well, perhaps it foreshadows something?

The main theme of this episode is the Thai homophobia, which although not violent or hateful, is still full of misunderstanding and insensitivity.

Anyway, big thank to @bencanuck. You work is appreciated! It's amazing you did this for every episode.

If we will look at it on a realistic way, what Dao did (not choosing her happiness) was the correct choice. She can't stand on her own yet. She's too young to go against her family but there's still hope for her. If she'll be open to her mom and make her understand what she really feels. I've been through that stage. When I was still young, I also tried not to be in a relationship because my mom doesn't know I'm a lesbian and said to myself that I'll come out if I can already stand on my own. 

Once Dao feels it's the right time, she can eventually come out. What I really like with Dao if we will compare her to Phu is that,she's not confused. We know she loves Koi so much but she's just torn between the two girls she loves the most and being young and dependent, I think it's a good

Dao's decision is a timely and right decision for me if I'll look at it on a realistic way. If I were on her shoes, I would have done the same thing because I'm still dependent to my mother on that age. Either way, if ever I'll choose Koi, there is no assurance that I'll be happy knowing my mother is also suffering but what I'll do that Dao didn't do is to tell my mother what I'm really am. And telling her that I choose her over Koi. Maybe trying out and shedding some light to her might make her understand me. 

This kind of thing is not only happening in Thailand. It's a common thing. It's really hard for other people to accept homosexuality. I didn't know there is a misunderstanding about lesbians having bad relationship with their fathers because I, myself is to close to my father and also my lesbian friends. I think male gays are not close to their fathers but close to their mothers. Lesbians tend to be close to the father most because of one common thing--"girls" :lol:

that's why i quoted the question if the happiness that based on a lie was true, if it would last long.

how you commented that you eventually told your parents answering the question. in the end, her mother had to know and would be hurt, so her pain might be pointless.

I'm watching Earth right now (See Scape 1 vocalist). I don't know what is this show. hahaha

arth.jpg

I'm old, so I was taking a short nap before the episode started. Was not sure when I woke up if this was real or some sort of weird dream. :lol:

she's actually debuted and here are her releases.

tbh, i didn't recognize her at all, because i barely watched season 1.

additional to Ben's recap.

at the beginning, Zomzom's gang chatted that they would apply to be beauties in the parade (of the school's sport event). Later, they discussed it was unfair that the teacher rejected applicants and chose a new student (Mali), hence they diverted their frustration onto mali.

Zomzom's mother and Uncle John were Flight attendants and colleagues, that's how Zomzom was familiar with Uncle John.

Boss told Non that he asked the teacher if he could join the teachers' meeting to propose the homework reduction project but rejected, the teacher told him that the teaching outline for this semester had been decided. he said there was still a hope that they could join the semester 2 teaching outline meeting which would be held before the semester started.

Seeing the star sticker Koi was reminded of Dao and she kissed Net as to wipe out Dao from her head.

What Dao typed was a novel, she modified the journal she made in previous episode into a novel, with fictitious names of Proud and Noon.

the word 'toot' can be used in both offensive and neutral ways, but it's not neutral in this context.

the western music class was utterly unrealistic. the music class should be held in music room and the class should start with outline introduction. the style of that teacher was impossible too. how could a conservative strict school hire such person as a teacher? besides, the music class usually isn't like that, it usually about teaching students how to read sheet music and play music instrument or sing.

@bencanuck, thanks for the recaps!

First of all, my comments for episode 2. My thought about KoiNet: After ep 2 and the scene in 3 I get the feeling this is supposed to play out the scenario that the gay girl just needs to find "right" guy (but in the end it's not just going to work bc obvious reasons :P). While sexuality can be fluid and she could be bi her awkwardsness and circumstances she's dating him just makes it seem that way to me... They share intrest and get along great as friends, talking and such but that is what I think about their relationship :sweatingbullets: While Net is a nice guy I think it was bad time to mention that he likes her since Koi is clearly still upset and all...

And towards the end when Dao wrote about her parens knowing what's best for her and wanting her to be happy (mostly she doing the things her parents think are the best for her, because that is what will make her happy if I understood correctly (?)). I just wish that her parents (or rather mom) would be accepting of her! The relationship makes her happy, in an ideal world the parents would be content no matter if it was a boy or a girl that made their child happy :( Hope that makes sense. But while I know why it's hard for Dao to come out to her mom I get the feeling she has to be brave and do it (even though I think her mum suspects since the incident at school) for her mum to even begin trying to understand and accept it all...

I liked today's episode and specially ZomZom's character. I can understand her in some ways -- seeing a parent find new love (even if it's with someone of the opposite sex) can be tough and a bit awkward, specially if you're suddenly living wih someone new. I think the relationship with Pala could be cute!

It must be tough for Mali when everyone is talking quickly around her in a language she doesn't fully understand. I'm grateful for the English parts though, it's the only parts I could understand, haha.

Guest CrypticShan

Can I ask about the actor's background in this thread? :) I just recently vested in watching the series and also watched Frozen Hormones too.

I noticed that some of the actors are still studying while doing the series, so I was wondering if it's required for them to finish studies before going onto a full time acting career in Thailand or purely by choice? Or do these actors take one job stint and it's over for them? Are the celebrity scene competitive over there? I'm just curious because often in some countries, young people stop studying to pursue acting completely so their popularity won't drop. I like this side of Thai actors, completing their education. 

I like Mali too because her english parts are the only one I can understand. :) 

Well, at first, I thought Zomzom was just unreasonably bitter however, I think her reaction towards the situation is understandable. She felt betrayed. She knew who Uncle John is. She thought he's just a friend and then one day your father will just introduced him as his lover without even knowing your father is gay? That's like stomping on a bomb. It's really hard for her and insensitive on the part of her father. I wish her father did it in a gradual way so that Zomzom will have a time to digest everything first.

Mali is innocent and I really like her (because Claudine is my bias too :wub:) She's not hesitant to tell that her father is gay because in America, it's more open. Phao is a revelation on this episode. I thought he's ashamed of Phu because of his reaction before when he noticed that there is something going on with Thee and his brother. He's a grown up now. Robot is the little version of Non. You want some English tutorial, maybe? I can help you with that, Robot. :lol:

Can I ask about the actor's background in this thread? :) I just recently vested in watching the series and also watched Frozen Hormones too.

I noticed that some of the actors are still studying while doing the series, so I was wondering if it's required for them to finish studies before going onto a full time acting career in Thailand or purely by choice? Or do these actors take one job stint and it's over for them? Are the celebrity scene competitive over there? I'm just curious because often in some countries, young people stop studying to pursue acting completely so their popularity won't drop. I like this side of Thai actors, completing their education. 

in thailand there are even celebs who take master degree, Kwan Usamanee, a famous actress, finished one and planned to pursue a doctorate degree in next year, (and she has 1-2 dramas yearly) Nadech, a famous actor, said he would take a master degree program within next few years.

non-scientific bachelor degree programs are usually lax and most subjects are lecture classes, which are skip-able. (most actors enroll business admin, comm arts or liberal arts.) besides, busy actors will register less credits, mere 9-12 credits a semesters.

Thai drama usually shot in 2-3 weekdays weekly.

the perspective is totally different in thailand, we say who knows how long an entertainment career will last but education will last forever, it will help you take another path when the time comes. indeed, thai celebs are needed to take a degree or they will be disrespected, called stupid. A Supachai, the chairperson of an (unofficial) agency announced every kids in his management must go to university. education is a powerful tool to boost one's popularity.

That's what I like with the Thai actors also. I'm not living in Thailand so I don't know also however, from what I observed, most of them are still studying while doing work in TV and movies. For example, Peach (Win) from first gen, recently graduated from Chulalongkorn University. Punpun (Toei) is also studying on that university. Tou (Thee) is taking up Law right now. Michael (Mhog) graduated. Gunn (Tar) is currently studying music. Also, in Frozen Hormones (Episode 8) Fon (Dao), Pea (Boss), Kao (Sprite) and Tor (Phai) cut their vacation short and needed to go back to Thailand because of their studies. Pea, I believe is taking up architecture. Belle (Koi) also did the same thing in Episode 12.

There was also an episode in Frozen Hormones where they gave out higher points to those kids who wish and choose "intelligence" because that means that they give more importance to being good at school other than other things ( they can wish intelligence, love and good health).

Also my other favorite thai actress, Yaya Urassaya, graduated in Chulalongkorn U. :wub:

It's true that most of the Hormones actors who have finished high school have gone on to study subjects like Business or Comm Arts.

But not all. Some take scientific or highly technical courses, with tight lab schedules, etc.

It may be worth mentioning them for their accomplishments. For example, Tor is a student at the top-rated faculty for Agro-Industry in the country (and possibly in ASEAN -- wouldn't surprise me). Nunar (Phai's big sister) is a chemical engineer; when filming Hormones, she was a student at Thailand's #2-ranked department in the field. To me, these two in particular are pretty impressive in what they managed to study (what they are managing to study) while working. :o

Well, at first, I thought Zomzom was just unreasonably bitter however, I think her reaction towards the situation is understandable. She felt betrayed [...] I wish her father did it in a gradual way so that Zomzom will have a time to digest everything first.

In this regard, Zomzom's story reminds me of Kwan's in Season 1. The character was lied to her entire life. Her family situation was a lie from birth until now. Then she and everyone else find out about the lie at roughly the same time, and she (understandably!) snaps under the strain. :tears:

(Not that I excuse her bullying of her dad and Mali, though. Just saying I can see why someone would snap.)

What a good episode. Are they planning to make us cry in each one? :(

I have long suspected that the Hormones writers are some sort of tear vampires... in a good way. ;)

While Net is a nice guy I think it was bad time to mention that he likes her since Koi is clearly still upset and all...

Is it karma at work?

In S02E04, after encountering Din again, Dao started to relive her trauma symptoms. During that, Koi went in for a kiss. That's not an OK thing to do. Everyone should know that someone else's trauma isn't your opportunity (no matter how mutual the opportunity it may seem "in the moment"). So this kind of "taking advantage" -- is it some sort of karma at work? :mellow:

KoiDao shippers, please don't kill me.  ;)  It's just that I'm still bothered by Dao's trauma being the original gateway to KoiDao. If they do end up together, the gateway should be better than this, in my opinion.

Archived