[Drama 2014] Secret Door 비밀의 문

Guest maea18

@nancykimlee read and mentioned the Memoirs a few pages back and caused me to revisit it as well. For those that are interested, reading the first and last memoirs will provide good context and insight into Sado's life as seen and experienced through Princess Hyegyong.

@kanyaprasetyo‌ I liked Immortal Lee Soon Shin better than Hwang Jin Yi and like you said, it wasn't bad but it also wasn't that great. She has another great cast to work with so I hope the material is good esp if it's focusing on a murder case that will shed a diff light on Sado.

@liddi @kaeruchan‌ Han Seok Kyu was magnificent as King Sejong the Great, and with his various films and roles, I am certain and excited about this portrayal. It'll be a breath of fresh air. :)

I'm glad there are various sources of subs for you guys because I've noticed in other threads how things are mistranslated esp when it comes to sageuks.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@jjsjang I haven't seen her other works, only Hwang Jin Yi so far and DS is the 2nd. She's experienced in sageuks, so at least she knows what she writes. My concerns in HJY are based on how the characters written.
In this drama, I believe we won't see someone straight up good or bad. Yeongjo-Sado's relationship is complex and Sado himself is quite normal, until he's pressured and mentally unstable n whatever will happen in the drama.

You just remind me of particular dramas, Three Musketeers and Empress Ki. EK is only subbed by MBC, Viki or dramafever don't get license. The result is so hilarious that I still chuckle every time I watch it using MBC subs because they use so many inappropriate words and slang. I'm not native so I don't understand some words sometimes but for natives it's really funny. =)) =))
While TM is subbed, but some subs are missing so it's hard to understand, esp because sageuk use different speech.

A longer introduce how the story is investigated! I guess we can guess some clues! So the close friend of Prince Sado (Lee Je Hoon - the painter played by Seo Jun Young is a victim and the story starts by his death? What's the relationship between two of them that leads to his death? Is that the reason to explain for Prince Sado's revolt?

Ah, I like how intelligent the detective girl played Seo Ji-dam by Kim Yoo Jung! Oh yes, so we have a detective girl in Joseon, very interesting! I think I start to like the characters of Han Suk Kyu (King Yeong-jo), Kim Min Jong and this modern-thinking detective girl! And of course, with other great actors in the team! Han Suk Kyu, he's daebak!  

@kooraThank you for sharing the latest video... it looks really rivetting. Now if only I could understand what they were saying!
@kaeruchanis this the spoilery video that you mentioned previously? I can see why SBS would have made private soon after.
And nooo... @nancykimlee.... Seo Joon Young dies again! Is he fated never to survive in every sageuk that I see him in? ~X( Sigh... either way, I hope there is a lot more scenes with him than just the snippets we were privy to... love what we see so far of the friendship between his character and Prince Sado's.

Guest kaeruchan

There's a new teaser for SD!

More details about the secret Yeongjo wanted to hide but Sado's intention of solving the murder case might threaten him and his position..

@liddi sorry for the late reply but yup, that's the video I'm talking about :D Someone managed to save it! I think it was meant for a later promo, maybe after several episodes have been aired..

Less than one week to go~!

Oh, I heard the press conference for Secret Door is scheduled on 9/18..

EDIT: Secret meeting between Crown Prince and his tutor Park Moon-su...
1410830389_763687.jpg
More under the cut ^^v

jhjdhe20140916092816_P_03_C_1.jpg
2014091609271636816.jpg
2014091609205583612_1.jpg

class="content-title" “Secret Door” Releases an Intense Teaser Video ddangha September 15, 2014 0 “Secret Door” Releases an Intense Teaser Video

Upcoming SBS historical drama “Secret Door” has released their third teaser video.

In the video, glimpses of the drama’s numerous cast members are shown. Along with cuts to a various intense scenes, the caption throughout the video reads: “A dangerous promise exchanged for death / A revealed secret / Start of a series of murder / Those who try to hide the truth / And those who try to reveal the truth.” Some of the dialogue revealed in the teaser video also talks about murders being framed as suicides.

Throughout the teaser, there are also foreshadowings of the conflict between King Yeongjo, played by Han Suk Kyu, and Prince Sado, portrayed by Lee Je Hoon.

“Secret Door” is scheduled to premiere on September 22, after the completion of the currently airing melodrama, “Temptation.”

-----------

link: http://www.soompi.com/2014/09/15/secret-door-releases-an-intense-teaser-video/

The video is the same as the one posted by @kaeruchan so I won't post it twice :)>-

Guest nancykimlee

(Rough) translations for teasers
Latest teaser:

Text: 30 years agoYeongjo/Unknown: Lord Kim!Text: A dangerous promise exchanged with deathKim Taek: Accept it or there will only be death waiting for youText: Slowly a secret is revealedKim Taek: ... came back again, quickly find him/herText: The beginning of murdersUnknown: Throw that document away! If you hold onto it, you'll die!Text: Those who hide the truthUnknown: This case shall be disguised as a suicideText: And those who want to reveal the truthSado: Whoever it is, however strong they may be, I will find them and punish them for what they've done
Another teaser: 

Text: The missing document has reappearedKim Taek: The document has reappeared. Are you scared?Text: The beginning of deathYeongjo?: Of course I'm scaredKim Taek?: Do what you have to do to stop the Crown PrinceText: The father who is trying to hide the truth, the son who is close to the truthSado: Whoever it is, however strong he may be, I will find them and punish them for what they've doneYeongjo: I will resign from the throne!Text: Dangerous political gamesPrince Hyegyong: His threat to resign is a warningSado: Please withdraw, please withdraw your decree to resign from the throne
I'll get to the longer, spoiler-ish trailer tomorrow (since it's late here) but wahhhh, hold me @liddi! :(( And thanks @koora! :)Fun fact: Kim Sang Joong (narrator) is on an SBS show, I Want To Know where he's a detective so here, it's: The Secret Door x I Want To Know and he's breaking down the info for us. I'll probably end up summarizing it since it's kind of long but it starts off with Crown Prince Sado and his best buddy of 20 years, Shin Heung Bok. And well, the rest is tragic, sighs.
Thanks @kaeruchan @kanyaprasetyo for the teasers and updates! :x We're getting close to the premiere and I can't waiiiiiiiit! 

@nancykimleeThank you very much for the translations. >:D<Looks like Shin Heung Bok's tragic fate is linked to King Yeongjo's secret (does it have to do with his ascension to the throne?)... which sets the scene for the conflict of interest between father and son. Like you, I am on tenterhooks and can't wait for the drama to air ~X(

Thank you @nancykimlee for the translations!! >:D<

I'm curious whose murder is it? Why Yeongjo is so scared if the truth is revealed? Maybe the murder of his political enemy or someone close to him? So many questions :-? :-?

Thanks for the updates everyone! It's only few days before premiere! \:D/ \:D/

BS Releases Han Seok Kyu “Secret Door” Stills, Also Starring Lee Je Hoon

SBS Releases Han Seok Kyu “Secret Door” Stills, Also Starring Lee Je Hoon

Media network SBS has released a set of still photos featuring actor Han Seok Kyu, who will play one of the two male lead roles in forthcoming historical drama “Secret Door.”

Han Seok Kyu1

The pictures are taken from a scene where Han Seok Kyu’s character is threatening senior government officials with a sword and ordering them to cover up a mistake made by his son (played by actor Lee Je Hoon). The scene illustrates the character’s initial fierce loyalty to his son and his quick temper, although a bitter conflict between the two character ensues as the plot develops. [more]

class="title_sec" style="line-height:34px;"New TV dramas to look out for

As the hot and sultry summer gives way to fall, Korea’s major TV networks are revamping their primetime roster with new series.

From a period piece retelling the story of an ill-fated Joseon crown prince to heartthrob Rain’s rom-com comeback, the fall TV lineup looks as diverse as ever.

Here’s a closer look at some of the most anticipated dramas. 

‘Secret Door’

A suspenseful period drama with a fresh premise, SBS’ new Monday and Tuesday night series aims to repeat the success of its critically acclaimed Joseon-era predecessor “Deep-Rooted Tree.”

Han Suk-kyu, who played King Sejong in the 2011 drama, returns as King Yeongjo in the upcoming series. In defending his reign, King Yeongjo ends up killing his own son, the crown prince Sado (played by Lee Je-hoon), by locking him in a rice chest. 

20140916000740_0.jpg
“Secret Door.” (SBS)

Sado is a much-debated historical figure. In some records, he is described as being insane, erratic and sadistic, but in others he is just a man in agony who falls victim to a court power struggle.

Through its 24 episodes, the new series takes the latter view, portraying him as an idealist who believes ultimate power resides with the people. That faith pits him against his father, the king, who wants absolute and supreme power.

Penned by Yoon Sun-joo who wrote such period blockbusters as “Hwang Jin-yi” (2006) and “Sejong the Great” (2008) and directed by Kim Hyung-shik of “Sign” (2011), “Phantom” (2012) and “Suspicious Housekeeper” (2013), “Secret Door” will premiere on Sept. 22. [more]

Guest chenderella

Thanks for the teasers and updates @koora @kaeruchan and for the translations Nance! When you explained about Kim Sang Joong and his show, it made more sense because at first I'm like uh, I love him but why is he here, lol. It always helps to have a Korean explain things that sometimes we would miss or not understand. I think that's why I like Viki subs more than other sites because they put things into context with explanations in (). Oh btw, I finally marathoned through Tree with your recommendation and mind = blown and out of tears. Because of a current weekend drama that's testing my intelligence and patience, I look forward to this even more because I hope that the writing will be as good as the cast. I already feel sad and it hasn't even started yet. Can't wait to watch it with all of you!! :)

Guest nancykimlee

The press conference is today! 
Press conference courtesy of SBS. You can view the long trailer starting around 12:40.

Anyhoo, @kaeruchan (she's awesome!) and I will be around for updates. Not gonna lie, we're totally excited and have been wondering if the cast will show up in modern garb or hanboks, LOL. Edit: They're in modern garb and looking good, especially Lee Je Hoon, ha! <3
The cast! :)201409181436776373_541a6f9cf220d.jpg
201409181450137493425A_1.jpg

201409181451457511616A_1.jpg

cr as tagged
+ Rice wreath pictures to get things started. :)Bxx1mi7CQAE_LCd.jpg:large
cr dreame twitter

Guest nancykimlee

Lee Je Hoon!!! :x :x :x
2014091814270310691.jpg

2014091816285080882.jpg
2014091816284891510.jpg
2014091814270674811.jpg
1411018961_765207.jpg
wjhjdhe20140918144828_P_03_C_1.jpg

Park Eun Bin + Kim Yoo JungSo pretty!!201409181433770076_541a6f0aa13b5.jpg
More pics of the two + solo shots of them below_

201409181432770984_541a6ec4e927a.jpg
2014091814374111037.jpg
2014091814374325000.jpg
2014091814374539954.jpg
2014091814132810116.jpg
2014091802341_0.jpg
2014091802341_1.jpg
1411019430_765218.jpg
2014091802637_1.jpg

TenAsia is silly enough to put out an article with pics of these two asking which is prettier/better, the 23 yr old Park or the 17 yr old Kim. Um, both? :D
Kim Min Jong@irilight2014091802436_1.jpg

2014091802436_0.jpg
Img0404_20140918165357_2.jpg
Img0404_20140918165357_1.jpg

Choi Won Young2014091802433_0.jpg

2014091802433_1.jpg

Note: I'll edit this post with pics from our cast as they come so I don't spam you guys. :)Btw, in attendance:Han Seok Kyu (totally his ahjussi style @kaeruchan, LOL), Lee Je Hoon, Kim Yoo Jung, Park Eun Bin, Kim Min Jong and Choi Won Young
@kaeruchanThis is the spinning wheel of death for me as it lags, wahhh! :((

xsxmwi0l.jpg

Guest kaeruchan

LOL @nancykimlee he does have his hair shorter this time :D

Park Eun-bin and Lee Je-hoon look so lovely together~~they can be mistaken as campus couple!
2014091802500_0.jpg

PD said that the drama includes mystery, melo, etc.
KMJ said that his character is a cool character.
HSK - about his character, Yeongjo who have so many dreams.
PEB - she wishes that she can show a good acting. (btw this is her 10th sageuk if I'm not mistaken :D)
KYJ - her character is like a female detective.
LJH - he will try his best until the end.
CWY - his character is someone who stay beside Sado's side.

EDIT: @nancykimlee I think I can manage with the streaming, can you cover the articles?

They showed the highlight video at the beginning of the press con..

It started with an assassination attempt on Yeongjo and Kim Taek was the one who saved him. Because of that, YJ signed a secret agreement with Noron (I think) and to safeguard his secret, they burned down Seungjeongwon (Office of the Secretaries), probably to get rid of any records (this might be related to Gyeongjong-Yeongjo's issues in history). Flash forward to 30 years later, YJ gave something (a drink?) to a young eunuch and the servants all freaked out when he broke the bowl and got angry. Sado found out from Je-gong that YJ was going to abdicate the throne but YJ was actually testing his subjects and KT knew it. SD knelt in front of the throne hall (like in the pics) to persuade his father into reconsidering his decision.

The secret agreement was found by a Royal Painter (not sure who he was - either SD, Heung-bok, or the other artist) but HB knew that it's dangerous. He was going to deliver a package (looks like a book) and at the same time, Ji-dam was out to deliver a book (LOL were they working as book dealers?) and saw someone pushing HB from the bridge. HB died and his corpse disappeared when JD came back with the police inspector. He seemed to be on his way to meet SD as the prince waited for him.

Later, there was a visit to the late queen's tomb and HB's corpse was retrieved from a well at the tomb. SD was so heartbroken to see his best friend like that while YJ was furious about it. This might be the start to his suspicion towards his own son. An officer could sense that someone was trying to make HB's death as a suicide and JD was the only eyewitness to the case, sharing the fact with Chul-joo.

That was a short session..maybe they have to head back to filming...The highlight will be posted by sbs later, but you can watch the press con on the link provided by @nancykimlee above~

@nancykimlee, @kaeruchanYay and thank you so much to both of you for taking the time and effort to share the press conference with us!This feels totally like refreshing drama threads during live airing... here I go again with my trusty friend the F5 button!

Archived