[Mainland Chinese Drama 2016] The Imperial Doctress 女医·明妃传

sugarplum892

Yay, more love for Queen Qian here! I think she is such an awesome character she really deserves all the love she's getting from the viewers. 

@Teng In @budgerie

I'm also happy that they made JianSheng Queen Qian's child too, instead of having her be childless. I too actually mind too much if the Queen does become a cripple and goes blind in one eye. The source where I got most of my history stuff from actually indicated that in history, even as a cripple, Queen Qian still took care of QiZhen when he was put under house arrest, sold her embroidery to improve his health and stayed with him as he went through bouts of depression while in house arrest. Not sure how accurate the source is though and I'm not sure they'll include those events in the drama. 

What would make me really upset is if the writers decided to kill off Queen Qian just so that QiZhen and YunXian can get together. I would rather they (Queen Qian, QiZhen and YunXian) returned to their little 'threesome' relationship that they had earlier lol.

Also, just watched the latest episodes and ... 

Spoiler

so far, I still don't really hate QiYu. Yes, he has his faults and he's a bit of the 大男人 mentality but for now, I think deep down, he truly loves his brother and wants to rescue him ‘home’. When the Ming Court received the second ransom (poor Queen Qian and her jewels didn’t manage to bring her husband back) he was one of the first to say that they must pay the ransom to bring QiZhen back and for now, he is constantly advocating to 'bring QiZhen home'. Judging from the previews, I think he may (contrary to history) actually go onto the battlefield to attempt to save QiZhen when the Mongols try to invade Beijing. Of course, I may change my opinion once we get into the later episodes but for now, I can empathise with him to some extent. 

In these latest two episodes, I also finally saw the Empress Dowager (not QiYu's mum) as someone other than a one-dimensional 'evil, scheming stepmother' kind of character and actually someone with a few somewhat redeeming qualities. I think the scene where she angrily refuses MeiLin's idea for them to flee to Nanjing because of the Mongol's 'incoming' attack on Beijing, and insisted that she stayed in Beijing even though she was in ill-health and fleeing to Nanjing was probably the safer option, was the key scene. That scene made me feel that she is a very patriotic woman who, for a lot of the time, does what she thinks is best for the country. The means by which she tries to get what she wants is definitely a bit 'unethical' and 'wrong', and a lot of the times, she is still that selfish character who bullies and manipulates to get what she wants. Her loyalty to the country definitely does not excuse her past actions. However, at the very least, she is loyal to the country and probably won't abandon it if there is a crisis. MeiLin on the other hand ....:expressionless:. I still see the spoilt princess with next to none redeeming qualities.  

One final, very minor thing that somewhat bugged me in these two episodes -- correct me if I'm wrong but did most of the soldiers not know that YunXian was a female?! How could they have mistaken YunXian for a guy?! I mean, I think Liu ShiShi has such beautiful, 'soft' facial features and there was no indication of a 'deliberate deepening of the voice' so how could they have mistaken her for a guy lol?! Random plot device, I guess ....

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Teng In  Thank you for the history bit.  I do not think the real QiZhen shone like some famous emperors but like you said, the impression I get from all these palace tales is that one has to be ruthless to survive.  :(  I read that he was the one who passed the edict that the wives of emperors need to be buried alive with their dead husbands so he did something for women.  QiZhen was a child emperor so probably well protected and not as worldly.

Thanks @ei-san_stv  for the explanation on how Yunxian was ended up on Mongolian soil.  The soldiers knew Yunxian is female.  Hard not to guess otherwise unless the soldiers are blind, haha..  Like you say, she is definitely female.  

I think the Mongolian princess is falling for QiZhen.
725b895djw1f1ghuaek2kj21kw16o4ib.jpg

725b895djw1f1ghup59u5j21kw16once.jpg

Just finished the latest ep.  Can someone tell me how putting QiZhen inside the body of a dead horse saved him?  Keep his body warm?  Saw pix of blood flow.  What does it mean?

I read (earlier) in internet chinese news that lots viewers like Queen Qian. Surprisingly or not surprisingly people are saying Qi Zhen you have a good Queen, be contented. Hahaha! Hope I read correctly. 

Don't know how the drama is going to put the cripple part and blind part but I want Qi Zhen to (at least) be remorseful for what the Queen went through for him and quit pining for Yun Xian. I would really hate the script if Qi Zhen abandons Queen or the script have her killed, just so Qi Zhen can be with Yun Xian. My biggest fear is because YX spent so much time with QZ in Mongolia, he may have forgotten he got a wife and baby! As if one YX is not enough, we now have Mongolia Princess falling for QZ. My poor Queen. 

Hmm....how could people not know YX is a woman? It's so obvious. Her makeup or dressing didn't make her look like a man! 

It's no doubt that the Empress Dowager is very loyal to the country/dynasty. Get in her shoes, it's not easy for her to be where she is. Women in that era are not seen/heard. Living in the palace is either to eat or be eaten. QZ was only a child when he ascended the throne. She had to be there to see that everything is put in order. And QZ had so far proved himself incompetent - just a rash quick tempered (pining for YX) emperor. 

I hope that when he returns, he would do something useful with his time. Spend time with his Queen and son and learn to be a good emperor for the citizens and stop pining for YX. BTW, where's the baby now? With Queen or with the Empress Dowager? 

@budgerie

Totally agree with you. Please, writers, don't kill off Queen Qian just so that QiZhen and YunXian can be together. 

Though I don't think that he will forget his wife and baby when he is in Mongolia for all those years. In the latest preview for tonight's episodes ... 

Spoiler

He acknowledges that Queen Qian suffered a lot because of him and it would be bad of him if he married the Mongol princess. I think that at least shows that he never forgot about his Queen even during his time in Mongolia. Don't worry, he only treats the Mongol Princess as a sister at best :) 

Also, I've seen spoiler pics before on Baidu for what I think is the 'reunion scene' between Queen Qian and QiZhen (not sure if it is but it's definitely when he came back from Mongolia) and ...

Spoiler

I'm not absolutely certain if she'll go blind or cripple but she faints during the scene. I think she may have ended up pretty sick and she definitely suffered when he was gone... We'll just have to wait and see but whatever happens, I'm looking forward to the scene where they reunite.

As for the baby, good news (for now):

Spoiler

Judging from the latest previews, the baby is still safe with Queen Qian and her maid. Yay! Not sure if the Empress Dowager will do anything evil later but for now, the baby's safe. 

By the way, does anyone know how many episodes are left? I seem to have the impression that it is 45 episodes but not really sure... 

The captured soldiers doesn't know that Yun Xian was a female because she disguised herself as a male doctor in Ming Dynasty.. Anyway, this is a drama, countless of dramas had girls pretending as guys while the characters the drama will never know but the audience will know LOL.. 

Yup, according to history, Zhu Qi Zhen did two good things:

1) let the elderly to enjoy benefits (respect the old ones)

2) abolished the "buried together with the dead King" traditional spiritual

+ famous for being a lovey dovey pair with Queen Qian.

However, Zhu Qi Yu was a better king who can lead the country better.. Lots of Chinese hated Zhu Qi Zhen because he gave order to killed off the loyal official, Yu Qian (although he was not presented in the drama, audience believed they fused Official Yu Qian and another loyal official into Yu Dong Yang).. Another wrong thing done by Zhu Qi Zhen, listened to the wrong side again and killed the good guy.

Anyway, no worries.. People don't hate Wallace Huo of course, they like his portrayal of the character because the King was suppose to be immature and ruthless at the beginning and becomes mature in the future..

Also, according to the history Zhu Qi Zhen is a man which have lots of good characteristics, this is also the reason that makes him a hostage who can survive and even make friends with the Mongolian.. In the future when he get back his throne, the Mongolian presented Ming Dynasty offerings, the quantity was more and the quality was better than last time..

Something must have happened when the king was a hostage, he managed to gained respects from the Mongolian. Ye Xian's brother, Wan Yan treated the King as his bestfriend and cried when Zhu Qi Zhen was sent back to Beijing.. He promised Zhu Qi Zhen that he will help him to get back his throne but Zhu Qi Zhen already doesn't care about the status, he just want to go back to his "home" and meet Queen Qian.. 

In the drama, Yun Xian might becomes the reason both Zhu Brothers be enemy thus leading to Zhu Qi Zhen to be held captured by Zhu Qi Yu. I don't know how the drama gonna play out the plot but I just hope Zhu Qi Zhen express lots of love to Queen Qian.. kk

Side note, the ratings for ID in Jiangsu and Dongfang channel are 1.2++ and 1.5++ respectively.. 

@budgerie

Totally agree with you! Please writers, don't kill Queen Qian just so that YunXian and QiZhen can be together.

Also, don't worry about QiZhen forgetting Queen Qian and his baby during his time in Mongolia. Judging from the latest preview...

Spoiler

He acknowledges Queen Qian suffered a lot because of him and that it'll be shameful of him if he married the Mongol Princess. That, at least, shows that he never forgot his Queen and his baby during all those years in Mongolia. Definitely looking forward to the scene where Queen Qian and QiZhen reunites :) 

Also, good news. Based on the latest preview ... 

Spoiler

The baby is still safe with Queen Qian and her maid. Not sure if the Empress Dowager or anyone will do anything evil later on but for now, the baby is safe and sound with mum, waiting for dad to come home :) 

By the way, does anyone know how many episodes does this show have? I seem to think it is 45 episodes but not sure... If so, that means that we've got about a week before the broadcast is over. Boy that was fast!

@ei-san_stvAgree with you. At least he acknowledged his queen. Maybe I'm being one sided but I only want QZ to be with his Queen. So far into the drama, all we see is one sided love on QZ part. YX may have liked him and even more after their stay in Mongolia, but I think she only liked him as her brother, confidante, close friend but nothing passionate. And I hope it remains this way. I do not want to hate YX for breaking her promise to Queen Qian (she vowed not to have feelings for QZ plus Queen Qian saved her numerous times, falling in love with her husband is not the way to repay her kindness). And I'm so glad baby Crown Prince is safe with Queen. I thought the Empress Dowager had taken him away....

@Teng InI too hope the drama adds in more lovey dovey scenes of QZ and Queen Qian (since he's famous for being lovey dovey with Queen in history). This is for the benefit of viewers who likes Queen Qian. Can't even find a MV of Queen with QZ. 

I have a feeling too that YX is the cause both QZ and QY became enemies. QY must have become jealous of YX/QZ relationship. YX/QZ obviously have become the best of friends by the time they returned home. 

I too prefer QZ to take Queen Qian as his soul-mate.  He needs to learn contentment.  Queen Qian actually deserves better, with QZ, she seems to be looking after an immatured man.  She treats YX like a sister, so should he and stop fooling around.

Actually the way to unite the brothers is for YX to marry the Mongol guy, YiXian, the one struck by lightning and she had to use her mouth to pull his tongue back to senses.   If she married the guy, the 2 brothers have nothing to fight anymore.... LOL

@lovehbhjw2013

Chingu, Hello dear remember I said I'd wait a while and come back to ask for your input/opinion on whether I should continue to watch this drama? Can you tell me if the drama got any better ? I'm scared to read comments above cause I'm afraid of spoilers. Thanks for your help :wub: hug hugs.

If Yunxian marries the Mongolian prince, there will be no more drama.  :D

Queen Qian is so popular among the ladies.  YunXian worth pursuing.  She's intelligent and wise (except during her younger days but like everyone else, we need more experience to grow up).  Cannot blame the two brothers falling in love with her.  She wouldn't go for QiZhen since it will hurt Queen Qian?  And I think she really love QiYu more than QiZhen from what I could see from all the eps.

Spoiler

I think this drama will show Queen Qian's son as a teenager?  I remember seeing a young boy with QiZhen.  

I really do not like the three ladies - Queen Mother, QiYu's mum and WMeiLing.  I think MeiLing will lose her unborn child?  I vaguely remember a cat fight between MeiLing and YunXian on a boat in one of the trailers.  

Spoiler

The crown Prince (queen Qian and king Zhu Qi Zhen's son) is gonna be the future king, he will be alright..

Yun Xian will be loyal to Zhu Qi Yu because that's what important for a girl, stay loyal (从一而终)

One memorable moment for tonight's episode: the king Zhu Qi Zhen said to Yun Xian, it is important for you to stay alive, that's the first priority.. for "name" and "purest", they are not important compared to your life..

*name (名节) as in woman's name are important in the past, which was the reason General Hang willing to let her daughter starved to death when he found out Yun Xian went to Zhu Qi Yu's house at night and comeback on the next day.

*purest (贞操) as in stay virgin 

From here we can see that Zhu Qi Zhen loves her and doesn't mind if she's tainted or no longer "pure" or anything because he valued her life more than anything..

@lovehbhjw2013I do like the mongolian chap, he's rough looking but pretty handsome. I think he'll make a nice guy for Yun Xian. Better than Qi Yu though. Yay! So nice to know Queen Qian got lots of supporters. 

@BellyButtonQi Zhen touching Yun Xian face! I love to see him do that to Queen. 

Actually I'm getting bored of the drama being in Mongolia so long. I am eager for them to return as I want to see how Qi Zhen is going to get back his throne. What's his 1st reaction upon seeing the Queen? Would the Director give us some lovey dovey couple time....they haven't seen each other in years! Surely Queen Qian deserved that...:P

@BaiZiHua Hello Chingu!  Yes, please watch it....apart from the love interest, some of the unorthodox way of treatment for the patients' sickness is interesting too.   There are 3 men who love YX so it is interesting that she has many "choices"...and all powerful men.:w00t:

I am not sure if you have watched this drama, if not and if you have the time, please watch it.  I :wub: Roy Chiu in this drama and the songs in this drama is *thumbs up*  https://www.viki.com/tv/3996c-waking-love-up

@Teng In

Ah kay. Thanks for all the info. Glad the show's 50 episodes instead of 45 because then that means they hopefully won't be rushing the ending. 

Also glad to know more positives about the 'real-life' Zhu Qizhen because until now, most of the stuff I read about have been quite negative. 

@BellyButton

YunXian is definitely worth pursuing. In addition to what you said, I also like the fact that she does want to seek revenge at times, she can make her own decisions and she does have a strong sense of 'resolve'. That at least shows that she is not a one-dimensional 'good character' and there are times where she is 'human' like the rest of us.

I don't really mind QiZhen and YunXian together romantically (I just prefer QiZhen and Queen Qian as couple and would love it if he appreciates her that little bit more) but for now, I think I like QiZhen and YunXian's strong 'friendship moments' more than their 'romantic moments'. I love it when especially during their time in Mongolia, they are always supporting each other, speaking up for each other and caring for each other. I prefer those moments of mutual support to the at times 'awkward moments' when they sense that they do have some kind of romantic feeling for each other. For me, 'friendship' is not inferior to 'romantic bond' and while there are definitely signs that YunXian and QiZhen have some kind of romantic feeling for each other, I personally feel that the relationship would work best as a strong friendship. Again, it doesn't help that QiZhen has such an awesome queen who does everything for his best interest. 

@budgerie

Oh, QiZhen and his Queen get at least one 'romantic moment' when they reunite. 

Spoiler

I think I've seen a picture (don't have it saved on my PC though) that shows that when they reunite, she'll faint in his arms and he'll carry her back to their 'palace' (or wherever they are supposed to live). 

Though I honestly don't think the writers will include the bit where she takes care of him while he is in house arrest for 7 years ... 

seriously in love with this drama. i don't mind who xuxian ends up with, both men are good for her. i wish viki would hurry up with the sub, i'm stuck on ep 14....i know subbers has lives too. 

Me too just prefer QZ and YX to have that strong bonded friendship. Not every relationship between male/female needs to be romantically linked. I prefer the drama just let QZ and Queen be a couple and please QZ, treat your Queen better. She gave birth to your heir while you are away in Mongolia, she lives in fear worrying about your safety and Crown Prince safety. And here you are touching another woman face! Luckily he realised and took back his hand quickly. Was he thinking of Queen Qian at that moment? Guilty conscious? I think QZ is torn between the 2 women. He wants YX and he wants his Queen too. When he told YX at the river or lake, that she should know who he has in his heart, I think he referred to her (YX) but later realised it than took back his words, he said Queen Qian. 

I shipped queen Qian and king Zhu Qi Zhen KKK.. Yun Xian can be with Zhu Qi Yu or The Mongolian Ye Xian or stay single to enhance her medical skills.. I know Wallace Huo and Cecilia Liu make a perfect couple (since The Vigilantes in Masks) but plz stay loyal to the history and give us lovey dovey/touching moments between the Queen and the King.. Queen Qian is one of the kindest queen in the history, I wish they give her more spotlight..

Still like Yun Xian too.. Esp when she's not the common drama female lead with the Mary Sue character kkk.. 

Side note, ID ratings for 02-03-2016 are 1.590 and 1.395 for DongFang and JiangSu channels respectively.. Also the highest compared to other dramas that shared the same timeslot..

The reason ID fans are proud of the ratings because both channels took the 1st and 2nd spots.. This is because, to top the rating with one channel is considered difficult but two different channels with same show can take the 1 and 2 place are consider amazing..

Archived