[Mainland Chinese Drama 2016] The Imperial Doctress 女医·明妃传

sugarplum892

@Kristina303

Spoiler

I am only guessing the ending because the real historical character Tan Yunxian did not marry emperor QiZhen.  And based on rumours on this fictional drama, they didn't end up together although they do care for each other. We have to watch the drama to find out whether the ending conforms to the rumours.

61a4ebfbjw1f107xb72tbj20hl0qe0vk.jpg

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Message from Viki:

To The Imperial Doctress Fans

Good news: The Imperial Doctress is now licensed and available in the US and Canada regions, as well as for QCs worldwide.

Broadcast frequency is 11 episodes per week after the local broadcast time, so add this channel to your favourites to stay updated.

Doing the happy dance....     happy-smiley.gif?1292867613

Thank you @yoonmi66    ! Best news...!

Hi all, just marathoning this series yesterday so I can catch up on tv.

I find episode 4 is quite dragging, but episode 5 is back in quite a good pace, but I kinda concern why they spend quite a lot time on Yun Xian's story when

she still outside of the palace

I mean based on the opening and end credit, she gonna spend quite a lot of time in Mongolia ( and why this part kinda remind me of Legend of Mi Yue ), I hope they won't rush the storyline after what I feel somewhat dragging on earlier episodes.

And my main concern also that this time Wallace won't get the girl :tears:

Is kinda refreshing though to see Wallace act kinda like his character on Perfect Couple but with a foul mouth :D but from Mr Wallace great acting (as always) we can see that he kinda put those act of being a foul mouth, not concern of his duty as an emperor things to cover up a big heartache. I bet Yun Xian will make him a better guy when the story progress.

@BellyButton to add your previous post, from what I can grasp from earlier episodes I think Yun Xian's father is so furious and always think badly of Yun Xian because

a guy with a red mark on his hand deceive Yun Xian to put some red powder into the medicine that her grandfather preparing for the concubine / empress ( forgot this detail ). And after her grandfather kill himself, the late emperor and empress dowager pardon the family to change their name completely and start a new life. Yun Xian's naive and  reckless act of curing people around her nowadays make her father furious because he don't want his hardwork to start a new life just goes kaput once again and there is big possibility if anyone knows their real identity it gonna cost his and his mother (Yun Xian's grandmother) life too. His father still blaming Yun Xian for the death of Yun Xian's grandfather and brother.

When the channel on viki was still a fan channel there were some episodes uploaded and little bit subbed, but now after the channel became official no episodes are there.
I assume they'll upload them sometime but will it take long? I have no experience with this so I don't know what to expect. ^^;;

@Kristina303, I watch live telecast on a link provided on WH Vietnam Facebook.  Then I go back to viki to watch the subbed version since I do not understand Mandarin (just a wee wee wee bit).   Re viki, I haven't tried opening it again but was told to use Explorer instead of Chrome (I use Chrome as my browser).  I do not know why ID vid does not accept Chrome because I have been watching other vids with Chrome.  Han Han posted a link to dailymotion on WH Facebook and I watched the first two eps from that link (because I did not know of the live telecast link before then).

This drama concentrated on Tan YunXian life.  They has to show how she got involved in medicine and her family background.  I do not know how much is truth and how much is fiction.  At least we now know in the history of China, there was a well known medical practitioner called Tan Yunxian.  I actually have not heard of her.  A link to Tan YunXian (posted by a fan) : http://www.theworldofchinese.com/2014/09/badass-ladies-of-chinese-history-tan-yunxian/

Nice love vid of Wallace and Shi Shi from dramas Imperial Doctress, Chinese Paladin 3 and Vigilantes in Mask.  (For those who may not be aware, this is the fourth collaboration between Shi Shi and Wallace.  The other one was a guest appearance as Li Daren in Shi Shi's drama Incisive Great Teacher.)

http://www.bilibili.com/video/av3852690/

Shi Shi so beautiful and elegant.

7cb8a41cjw1f1164jt8qbj20nu112q7y.jpg

666cfa33gw1f1176tfoiij20h10lwn33.jpg

@irilight, maybe we all could learn some oriental herb/cures from this drama.  I am interested in the powder thingie for the face.  :D

I do not understand the chinese characters but I bet it's gentle romantic Prince QiYu versus loudmouth ruffian Emperior QiZhen.
6d9dd52fgw1f12bs39aqkj208c1jkn1a.jpg

Can't understand a single word in this comic.
7d936f24gw1f124vijx0ij20m83hgb29.jpg

I still couldn't access viki.  Not available in my region so cannot make much comments.:(

@BellyButton   I try to translate for you.

On 2/17/2016 at 5:23 AM, BellyButton said:

@irilight, maybe we all could learn some oriental herb/cures from this drama.  I am interested in the powder thingie for the face.  :D

I do not understand the chinese characters but I bet it's gentle romantic Prince QiYu versus loudmouth ruffian Emperior QiZhen.
MOD EDIT: Please do not quote images, gifs, and videos

The way to court a girl:

The right way is to :

Always put the herbs readily by your side. (picture holding herbs):wub:

"Wifey, no...Lady...here's your flowers" (picture with flower) [Note: in the Chinese language the first character for wife is the same as the second character for 'Lady'...so his slip of tongue makes it romantic....:wub:

"In the night, the dew/fog is thick, lady, you will need this"(the cape) :wub:

The wrong way to court a girl..

look at our Pupil ZhuQiZhen

"You know Fart!!!!" he boomed at her  (the daily plight of the bachelor boy):astonished::confounded::dizzy:

Hello! I've watched 1-9 episode without sub, so far Prince QiYu is more charming than sexy shifu...errr Emperior QiZhen! During the first part, even though I don't totally understand it, I understand why Yun Xian would prefer the prince.... That's saying a lot because I'm a Wallace Huo fangirl. lol Anyway I think Qizhen will redeem himself nextweek. Hopefully...

P.S. Wallace is so handsome! Love their costume. And actors are convincing..

@sugarista, I heard it is broadcasted Mon-Friday 2 eps/night and Sunday 1 ep/night.  So it's 11 eps a week. This drama has 50 eps so it may conclude around end of March.  

My favourite scene: Snow Dance  - http://www.weibo.com/p/230444e02476f5e62b027d537332494d344a17   Romantic..  :wub:

Yunxian and QiZhen are both young then.  A young impetuous Emperor and a young naive Yunxian.  The drama chronicles the three characters's lives from adolescent to middle age.  Youth is pure like snow.

Come dance with me?
9c35c14bjw1f15jsm5ijej20fj08t756.jpg

9c35c14bjw1f15jsodx2cj20fk08pq3v.jpg

9c35c14bjw1f15jsn9dkoj20fj08mmy5.jpg

As a matter of interest of the our characters in real history. Tan Yunxian (1461–1554) was a female physician during the Ming Dynasty in China. Lived till she was 93. Emperor Yingzong of Ming - Zhu Qi Zhen (1427 - 1464). He died at 37. Emperor Jingtai of Ming - Zhu Qi Yu (1428 - 1457). So that is a lot creative license to create this medical background for this drama.

The drama will probably played the actual history of Yingzong being imprisoned by the Mongols for a year but upon his release saw him lost his throne to Jingtai and was made the Emperor Emeritus Jingtai ruled for 7 years before Yingzong came back in a coup and reign again. Both brothers had relatively short life with Yingzong lived only till 37 and Jingtai at 28. Tan Yunxian was 3 when Yingzong died and Jingtai will never have seen her having died before her birth.

The Real Tan Yunxian's Medical Practice

Tan Yunxian married and raised four children

"The medical practice of Tan Yunxian was contained to women. Although she did begin practicing medicine by treating her own children, and having her grandmother confirm her diagnoses. Records of Tan’s book reveal cases of thirty-one of the patients that she treated. The women which she worked with usually had chronic complaints, instead of critical illnesses. In Ming China, many of the women had “women’s complaints,” or, menstrual irregularities, repeated miscarriages, barrenness, and postpartum fatigue. Other patients had illnesses that either sex could contract, such as, coughing, insomnia, rashes, swellings, diarrhea or nausea.

Tan, similar to other literati doctors, often prescribed herbal medications to her patients. Tan also practiced moxibustion. This was the burning of moxa, or dried Artemisia, at specified points on the body, which was similar to acupuncture. This process, stimulated the circulation of qi. Since the physician applying the moxa was to physically touch the patient, this was not a process that male doctors could perform on women. Tan also served many working women in her practice. Various accounts show Tan’s conclusions of how these women often overworked themselves, thus bringing on various symptoms.

Although Tan Yunxian was able to practice medicine in gynecology, pediatrics and obstetrics, their practice in other fields was limited. Tan was only able to practice medicine in the country among her friends or acquaintances. Even after she completed the book Sayings of a Female Doctor, she was not able to publish it. In fact, she had to ask her son to have printing blocks cut for her.".

Since there is no time travel in this drama ... likelihood her romances with the emperors will come to nothing. Although I am intrigued by that Mongol patient (spy/royal) that was really impressed with her.

Archived