[Mainland Chinese Drama 2016] The Imperial Doctress 女医·明妃传

sugarplum892

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, International fans and China fans totally have different opinions on this drama.. haha.. many cnetz are criticizing Liu Shi Shi's acting skills whereas they criticized Wallace Huo for taking a role which have no challenge, cnetz wonder why WH didn't reject this drama.. Anyway, WH is repaying Tang Ren Production team a favor by playing  the second lead role in this drama..  I just hope in the end he still get a girl and don't die haha..

6 hours ago, ricenamja said:

@thunderman1 No!! I have yet to :( it has been awhile since I watched Chinese dramas! It's on my to-watch list :D will be sure to watch it soon

One of my favorite historical dramas.. Eddie Peng is also such a  great actor--makes me wonder why he mainly acts in movies and not dramas. Dramas take a lot of time but I think we get to see his effortless acting more. :) 

Well let me know what you think of it! The drama picks up relatively fast. Some hot, steamy mess from ep 16-26 and then it drags to ep 35 if I recall. I think it's worth the watch though! :D

I am not sure what is the fuss regarding Shi Shi's acting skills.  I have seen her other dramas and is pretty happy with her portrayal of the different roles. She is quietly elegant in this drama.  Wallace has a good relationship with Tang Ren and a good friend of Shi Shi and Nicky Wu.  This drama will appeal to the older generation or people who like historical drama.  It looks like a quality drama.  The costumes are amazing.  As for the story, I will give my comments after seeing the whole drama.

On December 22, 2015 at 2:28 PM, BellyButton said:

I am not sure what is the fuss regarding Shi Shi's acting skills.  I have seen her other dramas and is pretty happy with her portrayal of the different roles. She is quietly elegant in this drama.  Wallace has a good relationship with Tang Ren and a good friend of Shi Shi and Nicky Wu.  This drama will appeal to the older generation or people who like historical drama.  It looks like a quality drama.  The costumes are amazing.  As for the story, I will give my comments after seeing the whole drama.

She is a veteran actress in my eyes. Much better than A-listed actresses like Tiffany Tang and the one other newbie actress(the one that starred in Shan Shan..) 

• 2 weeks later...
On December 20, 2015 at 9:55 AM, janice930201 said:

Wow, International fans and China fans totally have different opinions on this drama.. haha.. many cnetz are criticizing Liu Shi Shi's acting skills whereas they criticized Wallace Huo for taking a role which have no challenge, cnetz wonder why WH didn't reject this drama.. Anyway, WH is repaying Tang Ren Production team a favor by playing  the second lead role in this drama..  I just hope in the end he still get a girl and don't die haha..

I grew up in China but came to America in 1995. I don't mind the characters! I just hate the fact that China has to film it all and then release for viewers a year or many two years later. By then, the actor/actress has already improved his/hers acting ability and we all make biased judgements of how they act. It is unfair for the actor himself but after all not much can be done  due to tv timeslots etc:

On 12/20/2015 at 9:55 AM, janice930201 said:

@janice930201,   Like @BellyButton,   I will just be so ready to watch Wallace Huo in a drama again. I know I'll be in withdrawal syndrome after finishing "Love me if You Dare"  (Thank you to @jadecloud, and @40somethingahjumma for the recommendation).

@thunderman1, but isn't that always the case with pre-produced drama?  I'd rather they continue to pre-produce than go to live shoot like most Korean drama.

Liu Shi Shi as The Imperial Doctress in New Drama Stills for the Ming Dynasty Period Romance

nyu8.jpg

Read more on Koala's Playground

@irilight for the gorgeous still.  I didn't know Korean dramas live shoot?  So they get onto tv very quickly.  No, they won't be able to do that for C dramas because they have to go through SARFT because they are allowed to be screened on tv.  

@thunderman1  I think most of the dramas are shown within a year but Imperial Doctress's screening was postponed a few times.  I believe many variables are involved (just my guess).  Since you could read Chinese, you may be aware that some time last year, China changed the drama policy and only allow popular dramas to be screened on maximum by two major tv stations effective 2015.  Apparently, they are also discouraging ancient costume dramas.  I heard they also cap the actor/actresses's earnings?   I think TangRen is trying to get the best time slot for ID and there are strategies involved in getting the best out of the drama.  It wouldn't make sense to 'fight' with The Journey of Flower and Langya List (which were hugely anticipated).  Even TJOF and LL did not clash in screening times.  I think  LMIYD and Disguiser (both Shandong productions) were screened on different days so that they won't clash.  It makes no sense for the production companies to 'kill each other'.  It is better to work together for everyone's benefit.   I remember seeing a video where the TangRen, Shandong, Ruby Lin  discussed about the impact of the new policies.  (Do not know why Nicky Wu isn't there since he's also now a producer cum actor.. maybe he was busy).  

Some BTS....

6fe6b187jw1eerrb5e12fj20hv0bw77j.jpg

6fe6b187jw1eerrb5p82qj20hv0bwade.jpg

6fe6b187jw1eerrb6mxh9j20hv0bwtc7.jpg

6fe6b187jw1eerrb74rz5j20hv0bwgpo.jpg

6fe6b187jw1eerrb7fct0j20hv0bwjv5.jpg

6fe6b187jw1eerrb7va9lj20hv0d2dj2.jpg

6fe6b187jw1eerrb85ejjj20hv0ckgq8.jpg

Hi, @sugarplum892!

Will you be able to assume ownership of The Imperial Doctress?

I do not visit Mainland China a lot, so I believe that you will do a better job updating as needed since you are a frequent visitor here.

@BellyButton, yes - most Kdrama are produced via live shoots. It is super grueling to the cast members, and we have seen many injuries as a result. The good news, is more and more drama are being pre-produced in Korea these days.

Forgive my ignorance please, but what is SARFT?

wow.. so much politics around the drama in China? They don't want to do any more historical drama?

Thank you @BellyButton, and @sugarplum892 for the gorgeous new stills. My heart is already melting, and the drama has not even started yet....

Archived