Asian Americans who try to portray themselves as Asian Asians (Mainly East Asians)

Guest I_play_with_dolls

Guest I_play_with_dolls

To be honest this is really interesting to me. I'm posting this on soompi because this is a large English forum about Asian pop culture, mainly Kpop. 
Anyway why is it that Asian Americans love to emphasize the similarities they have with Asians in Asia? This isn't necessarily for Asian Americans but Asians living in a westernized country like European countries or Canada. For example youtubes videos that have titles like, "What Asian Girls/Guys Like." or "How Asian Are you?" Are done mainly by Asian Americans or Asians from European countries, Canada, and Australia. Never in my life have a seen a video made by an Asian person in Asia about topics related to such things.The thing is not everyone on here is Korean, Chinese, or Japanese yet those countries are glorified which is why so many Asian people want to be portrayed similar to them. Such as "Asians like" cute emojis, kpop/jpop, cute culture, and they have nice cars, etc. 
Asian Americans are dealing with a different culture from Asian Asians yet I feel like so many are denying the differences. I just find it ridiculous when Asian Americans say things like, "I'm so Asiannnn" or things similar. Asian countries may share similarities in culture however I would not say the similarities are enough to generalize people in to being "so Asian." Each ethnic group is different and tbh when I hear people talk about how Asian people are, like what their interest are, I kind of want to just roll my eyes. Idk, what are your takes on it? 

Oh, please, it's not like Asian people in Asian countries don't copy Western styles. You think that the Koreans invited the hip hop style? Asian people in other Asian countries copy Japanese/Chinese/Korean styles. So what if I live in America all my life? I still have Chinese blood in me and I like both the Western and the Chinese culture.
We are all basically humans. I am so sick of hearing about the glaring differences between cultures. Why can't we see each other as humans?

Guest I_play_with_dolls

Meany-chan said: Oh, please, it's not like Asian people in Asian countries don't copy Western styles. You think that the Koreans invited the hip hop style? Asian people in other Asian countries copy Japanese/Chinese/Korean styles. So what if I live in America all my life? I still have Chinese blood in me and I like both the Western and the Chinese culture.
We are all basically humans. I am so sick of hearing about the glaring differences between cultures. Why can't we see each other as humans?

First of all, Europe is a continent, not a country. A common mistake I see many Americans make, how, I have no idea.
Also those Asians might be proud of where they come from, or even been raised that way by their parents. I am a white European, if I lived in USA I would probably still try to follow the norms of my homeland.

I noticed the only asians that are against preserving their cultural identity are the type that are ashamed of who they are or where they came from, they have no pride, they just dont care and try to be as americanized as possible and go against what their parents taught them or wished they would do

it actually looks pretty sad when an asian tries to be too american and some may even look down on their own culture and ethnicity, it's actually sad to see an asian think they're white

my brother hates asians and thinks he's an Italian, he looks up to whites and looks down on asians, it's pathetic

Guest I_play_with_dolls

zantac_2 said: ^what about asians trying to be someone from a different asian country? which i think is the point dolls is trying to make?

Guest flyhighbich

Gosh I'm so Asian!!!!!
I'm guilty of saying that when I take a whole bunch of napkins from gas stations or w/e I go out and eat b/c it's efficient :)
But like how others have said "perseverance of culture" not only that but a sense of "identity" and a sense of "belonging" is important especially in a country like America where it is a melting pot
Sense of identity and belong just doesn't go w/ ethnicity and race but we also put labels on others and ourselves. Jocks, nerds, preppy, goth, hipster etc...
To be straight up. I don't want my kid to be one of those white kids that say HEY I can talk *smack about Germany b/c I am 1/16 German! 1/16 Italian, 1/16 Jewish, 1/16 Irish, and 1/16 Native American! but I don't richard simmons about Germany, it's culture or anything about it
Also, I seriously hate when say we are all one race: the human race BS! we are the same! OKKK SIKKE! we are not...we are all human but we all are different and unique in our own ways..all of us aren't born equal as well but we should be treated as equals anyways..
Yea I do think those videos are annoying since it's generalizing but I don't think it's something you should take too seriously..though I am bothered when someone is Viet or w/e and lie and say they are Korean b/c of the Hallyu wave and etc...

I_play_with_dolls said: Meany-chan said: Oh, please, it's not like Asian people in Asian countries don't copy Western styles. You think that the Koreans invited the hip hop style? Asian people in other Asian countries copy Japanese/Chinese/Korean styles. So what if I live in America all my life? I still have Chinese blood in me and I like both the Western and the Chinese culture.

Archived