[Drama 2014] Mama 마마

Go Seung Ji

@IBELIS As far as HSH knows when she arrives in Korea, MTJ and SJE are the perfect parents living a perfect life. They are her only choice for GR's future, but considering the circumstances, it is a good choice.

When she meets SJE after SJE flees the photo shoot, HSH realizes that SJE isn't the perfect mother HSH thought she was. SJE has a great heart but is lacking in several ways: her pride, her avoidance of confrontations, her money problems... So HSH decides to fix SJE by staying by her side and changing her into a better mother. She also tries to make SJE and GR grow closer, because their relationship will be the most difficult once the truth is revealed.

I think that the reason HSH isn't interested too much in MTJ in the first three episodes, is because right until the cinema incident, MTJ is still the perfect father in her eyes. When she sees him cheating with KRY, she realizes she has been wrong about him, just like she was wrong about SJE, and she decides to fix him too. And her first step is to make sure the affair stops.

I think HSH wants GR to get as close to SJE as possible before she dies and he is left in SJE's care. She could try to spend her remaining time (6 months at the most, I believe) entirely with her son, but that would be selfish of her. She has never been there for her son in the past, not as much as he'd like anyway. It would be cruel for GR if she became a real mother now, only to die when their relationship is repaired and leave him devastated.
She does try to be present for GR as much as she can, but her illness isn't helping her.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the storyline reminds  one  of  'stepmom'  starring  julia  roberts  and  susan sarandon.  but more  like  an  expanded form  with  the usual  mix  of  in  laws, extended  families,  chaebol  with  wayward  son,  throw  in some mix  of  adultery.  but  will  continue  to watch  to  see how  all these  things  play out.

So far I am enjoying this drama. Interesting womance between the wife and Stella Han.  I am finding the tension between characters is working well.  I am happy she appears to be having a love interest during this time of her life.  The husband is so tall, when his wife hugged him, it was like she was a ten year old child. 
Observations:   Mama needs to tell her son she is sick, as painful as that will be, because telling him she plans to go on a two year or more tour, is causing the kid to think she really doesn't love him.
Also, I was happy when Stella told young guy it was none of his business when he asked her if she had been living in Canada. It was refreshing. I noticed Koreans ask in these dramas a lot of personal questions and people seem obligated to answer,  in fact, case in point, Stella's opposite, the little housekeeper wife, was asked by her SIL who makes no bones about despising her, "what does that woman have to do with you?" or something like that, and stupid wifey immediately tries to answer nasty SIL and gets into a conversation about how much she can trust her etc.  I am thinking, why didn't she just tell SIL to mind her own bees wax?
:bz

@mudaepo:
Your comments made a lot of sense, but people don't change that easily. TJ started the affair with little or no thought to the consequence's , and it's not about the woman but how he can use her to get ahead in business. Just like the car incident he was angry but didn't give a thought to the fact it meant someone knew he was cheating on his wife. I think the detective let him see him in front of the apartment so that he would know that it was him the tossed the apartment. The same way he let him follow him to SH.
The same with JE, she grew up a princess and hasn't been able to let that go, part of that is wanting people like her so she is constantly allowing her self to be a door mat. This I can see SH fixing but will a self serving jerk who believes he is a good guy be that easy to change. JE knows she has short comings and may want to change these things about herself, TJ won't be that easy. 
I just finished watching again with subs and the feeling I got is that GR may know that his mother is sick and their words are more like a game they have agreed to play. By this I don't mean he knows she is dying but that she is sick. Also the doctor was suggesting treatment's which SH is rejecting because of the long hospital stay and that in the end they may not work. Being forever hopeful I started to think that maybe in the end she doesn't die and they all grow and become better people.
Just some random thoughts.

@IBELIS
Even if it looks like there is some hope for HSH, I don't want her to live. It's not that I don't like her, I really do, but I would feel cheated if she stayed alive. The whole promise of this drama is HSH finding a new family for her son before she dies, just a look at the promotional posters is enough to realize it.
The story would lose its power if HSH were to stay alive. The ending doesn't have to be happy to be a good one. And even if HSH dies, it doesn''t mean the ending cannot be a happy one, if she dies knowing her son will have a happy life with his new family.

I don't think GR knows his mother is sick. I think he cries because he doesn't think his mother loves him. Because of her illness, she isn't there when he needs her, and he now believes she wants to go away with her new boyfriend and abandon him with SJE.

I think that in HSH's mind, SJE's main problem is that she tries to maintain a perfect image, and isn't able to own her shortcomings or difficulties in front of her "friends".SJE is trying so hard to hide the fact that she works for HSH because she thinks it is shameful. But that shame isn't even close to the one that she'd feel if she were to raise GR, a son her husband had outside their marriage. So bit by bit, HSH is going to make SJE stronger so that she'll be able to endure what is coming.

mama_photo140801111104imbcdrama1.jpg

‘Mama’, Song Yoon-Ah strength.. beat ‘Endless Love’ and become top

MBC Weekend drama ‘Mama’ got a good start with top viewer rating among same period drama. According to viewer rating research company Nielson Korea, MBC new Weekend drama ‘Mama’ which was broadcasted in 2nd, recorded 9.6% of nationwide rating. It is 2.2% lower than 11.8%, the rating of the previous drama ‘Hotel King’ last episode. 

However, as showing near 10% viewer rating from the first episode, it beat SBS Weekend drama ‘Endless Love’ which is broadcasted in same period and became top. That day, in ‘Mama’, Han Seung-Hee(Song Yoon-Ah), a famous folk painting artist in Canada who was given time-limited life came Korea. She came Korea to make family for her only son Geu-Roo(Yoon Chan-Yeong). 
In addition, it spreaded quickly to Han Seung-Hee and Ji-Eun(Moon Jeong-Hee)’s first meeting. ‘Mama’ became issue as Song Yoon-Ah came to drama 6 years after SBS ‘On Air’ (2008). Even her long blank time would be put to shame, Song Yoon-Ah showed deep and natural act. It is estimated that Song Yoon-Ah who plays Seung-Hee who received time-limit life, delicately expressed mom’s mind; wants to give family to son before die.

Source: Innolife Korea

@valsava @basmuler hello chinggus :-h
I love Song Yoon Ah especially since Hotelier days with BYJ, I'm thinking of watching this but it's going to be sad ending right?Since she has terminally ill sickness!
How is it so far you have been watching the first 4 episodes?

Guest missnona

said: @valsava @basmuler hello chinggus :-h
I love Song Yoon Ah especially since Hotelier days with BYJ, I'm thinking of watching this but it's going to be sad ending right?Since she has terminally ill sickness!

@NayongL,  So far I'm really liking this drama, Like @mudaepo, I think she has to die in the end.. I think when hotelier came out that was the first Kdrama I watch all the way through and kept watching every since,,

I like how Hsh is trying to tuffen Sje up because she's going to need it she always trying to be nice goodie two shoes always wanting other peoples approval of her.. I just can't wait to see her reaction when she finds out Gr is her husband child..     

@AlanR As a matter of fact, someone is.
http://shikidrama.wordpress.com/tag/mama-nothing-to-fear/
But since we're only 4 episodes in, you should have enough time to watch the episodes and catch up before saturday (or sunday for the subtitles). :)

NayongL said: @valsava @basmuler hello chinggus :-h

Archived