What do you think is the easiest and the hardest language to learn?

rhangg

Guest chibiottoman

Many people around the world try to prove their language is the hardest one, don't know if knowing that language as a mother tongue make them any wiser, anyway, um I've been learning I guess around 7 languages, at least tried to learn them and the difficulty changes in terms of what kind of difficulty we are talking about.
For example if you don't have a memorizing skill good at things like images, it would be hard for you to remember kanjis so Chinese and Japanese.
If you are not good at keeping a lot of words in mind and trying to use them often in daily speech, Arabic and Persian are both very rich in words. Unlike English ; Japanese, Korean, Turkish languages have a flexible grammar structure with many rules so it's hard to apply one rule to another so it becomes hard to understand the exact meaning of the sentence if you are not really really fluent at any of them. It's because the order of the particles of a sentence can be put to anywhere in the sentence. Among them, Turkish is my native language, though an English speaking may say it's hard for him/her, it's not hard for me except for the kanji part. So it's mostly like it's relatively hard. I'm not fluent at Japanese and sometimes don't understand the exact meaning of a sentence though I know the words but this is because of the fact that I learn it in English. It's confusing.
In terms of  pronunciation, Chinese is hard in my perspective. Altaic languages have distinct sounds unlike Chinese, so Chinese is the language that I'm struggling with.
English, aside from the fact that it's widely used around the world, if it weren't, it would be hard to master it. English has an easy grammar and vocabulary but the way that you can shape the language and the speaking is through hearing people speak. Because from place to place it changes . But honestly, English was the easiest. You can practice it often and use it often unlike the others.
For more Germanic sounding languages like Swedish, what's wrong with the words is the question in my mind. I hate their " artikel "stuff. They are not really hard to learn compared with the ones what you have never encountered if you know a bit English. The problem is, in my perspective, it becomes too obvious that you are not a native speaker of it when speaking.
More Uralic, like Finnish, it's close to it's cousin languages Altaic family. The bound is like, the language closest to Turkish is Hungarian and the closet one to Hungarian is Finnish. Though words are totally different, grammar structure and some suffixes sound close to each other. I like it's pronunciation, also.
For my native language, unbiased, grammar structure is hard because of it's both too much including rules and in contrast flexibility. It's easy to speak with just words but it cannot be called "being fluent" in that way. Pronunciation is easy for the Uralic language and Japanese/ Korean speaking ones, relatively. Um, the best one I've ever heard was a Finnish boy, without any mistake he would sound like a native speaker.
Words, it's so so not hard to learn but the slang is a bit problem for the learners. I tried to teach Turkish for 2 years, um around 5-6 years ago I guess and they would understand the "book speech" but not the daily one.

Guest JakeZ

Being English, I found French and Spanish easy cos they're both similar and have lots of loan words between them. I also find Chinese 'easy' (Only cos I grew up with it :P) But now, learning Korean is so hard! The Grammar is so hard to wrap my head around and living in the countryside, there aren't many non white people, let alone Koreans that I could practice with XD

Guest minjjangxx1846

Obviously it depends on what your first language is, but I think Indonesian and Spanish are pretty easy. I'm also Filipino, so Spanish isn't very difficult (except preterite and imperfect and a few other little things, like fluidity and accuracy when speaking, but I'm pretty good at it). And then Indonesian is also pretty close to Tagalog, there are similar words and same words like apat (Tagalog) and empat (Indonesian) or anak which is the same in both. And in Indonesian, there aren't really verb conjugations, you just have the regular verb and you add a word in front of it to say whether it happened, is happening, or is going to happen, etc. and I find it easy. The only difficulty for some might be spelling or pronunciation but it's not that difficult if you already speak another SE Asian language.
The hardest... I would have to say is Mandarin. For me, it's because of the tones and how you can have the same exact words but change the meaning completely if you use the wrong tone. Plus the writing system... thousands of characters to learn and you have to know the stroke order! At least with Korean it's just hangul, and with Japanese although you use Kanji, it's not all completely in Kanji, but with Mandarin it's all Chinese characters, purely, so that makes it difficult for me. And I agree, I'm not saying Thai is a bad language but it does sound quite strange to me and the pronunciation seems difficult. I have a friend who is Thai and she told me there's no 'r' sound even though some words do have 'r's.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived