Seo Kang Joon 서강준 ♤ Your Brown Eyes Vitamin ♧

Admin

Seo Kang-joon confirms webtoon adaptation From A Distance, A Green Spring

SeoKangJoon1.jpg

The upcoming adaptation of campus webtoon From A Distance, A Green Springhas found a home at KBS, and is planning to broadcast in the spring (naturally). The first actor to sign on is Seo Kang-joon (Entourage, Cheese in the Trap), who has been cast to play the second lead, though this webtoon is actually more about bromance than romance, which makes him part of the leading bromance pair. His character is a puppy-dog freshman who takes a liking to a sunbae and follows him around, leading to an unlikely friendship between two very different boys.

I started reading the webtoon by Jinyoong just to get a feel for the story, and ended up reading way more than I anticipated because I got sucked in by the adorable bromance. It’s a college campus webtoon that’s similar to Cheese in the Trap’s thoughtful, slice-of-life style, about twentysomethings in the spring of their lives, except this one has a focus on friendship. The webtoon’s tagline is: “If you look at life from far away it’s a comedy, and if you look at it up close it’s a tragedy.” The drama is about the in-betweenness of contemporary twentysomethings, no longer youths but not yet adults, trying to figure out life.

I’m not sure if the drama is reworking some of the characters, because most of the press releases seem to conflate the two leads in some way. But in the webtoon, the leading man is a prickly third-year student named Nam Soo-hyun who comes from a poor family and works three part-time jobs to support his mom and younger brother while going to school on a full scholarship. He’s infamously rude and blunt, and doesn’t care at all what other people think of him. (He’s the tall one with dark hair in the manhwa stills below.)

GreenSpring2.jpg

Then there’s bubbly freshman Yeo Joon—the role that Seo Kang-joon has been cast to play—who’s the opposite of Soo-hyun in every way. Joon grew up as the maknae of a wealthy family and knows how to get along with everyone. He cares a little too much about what other people think of him, but it’s because he’s so starved for approval. His father is physically abusive and both his parents think he’s worthless for going to a second-rate university, and he grew up in the shadow of a perfect hyung. He’s quick to cry and witty and fun, and he’s the type of person who’s always surrounded by people but feeling lonely. (He’s the short blonde character.)

The two boys get stuck doing a group project together, and even though everyone around them thinks that Soo-hyun is an uppity richard simmons, Joon develops this adorable hero-worship for him and follows him around like a an eager puppy, though Soo-hyun finds him annoying at first (one time when they come to class dressed in similar outfits, Joon squeals, “It’s a couple look!” and Soo-hyun takes off his jacket immediately). Through one little white lie that Joon tells, the boys end up becoming roommates and genuine friends.

Seo Kang-joon could really use a nice lovable role after playing THE WORST character ever in Entourage, who was pretty much the crappiest friend and most entitled diva on the planet (seriously I don’t know what the writer was thinking with that character). I wouldn’t necessarily have pictured him as Joon; for example, fantasy castings for the character put Yook Sung-jae in the role, for obvious puppy reasons. But maybe Seo Kang-joon is shooting for an image transformation, which wouldn’t be a bad thing. The bromance of this story is so cute that now I’m eagerly anticipating the drama adaptation. Don’t let me down!

From A Distance, A Green Spring is being planned for a May broadcast on KBS.

GreenSpring1.jpg

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/03/seo-kang-joon-offered-role-as-swindler-robot-in-kbss-political-drama/

Seo Kang-joon offered role as swindler robot in KBS’s political drama

skjoon2.jpg

Originally, Seo Kang-joon (Entourage) had signed on to be one of the leads in webtoon adaptation From A Distance, A Green Spring, but that drama was scrapped (or at least indefinitely postponed) by KBS in favor of airing Third-Rate My Way and Sang-shik and Nara during its May timeslot openings. So it looks like Seo Kang-joon is back on the market, and he’s currently being courted to play a robot for the new drama Are You a Human Too.

There aren’t too many details yet on the actual storyline of the drama, but the character Seo Kang-joon has been offered is an emotional AI being, model name SwindlerGod-III. Created with superior looks and programmed to make aegyo mistakes, SwindlerGod-III is the perfect package. He’s supposed to be involved in a larger political power struggle amongst the chaebol class of Korea, in a large-scale con.

While Are You A Human Too seems more centered around class warfare set in a futuristic society, the moment I saw the description “handsome robot who understands emotions,” I was taken back to memories of J-dorama Zettai Kareshi, or Absolute Boyfriend. At its surface, it was a rom-com about a romantic sex android, but digging a little deeper, I felt like it was a thoughtful story about what it means to love, connect with others, and have real human relationships. If this upcoming KBS drama is able to portray the dilemma of free agency and societal norms in a meaningful way, I think it could be an interesting watch.

The drama is currently in the middle of casting the rest of its characters, and will begin filming sometime in late spring or early summer.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/04/go-ara-up-to-romance-robot-seo-kang-joon-in-kbss-are-you-human-too/

Go Ara up to romance robot Seo Kang-joon in KBS’s Are You Human Too

goara-103a.jpg

As far as titles go, KBS’s Are You Human Too is a pretty solid one, given that it’s immediately evocative and piques curiosity. The latest news on this drama’s progress is that it is now courting Go Ara (Hwarang) to star, with the male lead role still out to Seo Kang-joon (Entourage), who was offered the project last month and is still in talks.

Are You Human Too is described, rather interestingly, as a story about a “human impersonation con project,” in which a robot armed with artificial intelligence works his way into a fierce power battle within a chaebol family in a large-scale con. Seo Kang-joon has been offered the role of an android named SwindlerGod-III, which, ha. I’m guessing he probably goes by a different name most of the time, given that the robot is initially made upon the request of a third-generation chaebol’s mother after he falls into a coma. Um, that’s not weird and Oedipal at all.

There’s no word on the role Go Ara has been offered, and nothing more about the plot than that previous description, so for now I’m limited to my own speculations. But an android who messes with power-hungry chaebols as part of a con job? That sounds potentially uproarious, and I’m looking with interest at the producing combo of Princess’s Man writer Jo Jung-joo and PD Cha Young-hoon of the quirky mini-drama Baek-hee Has Returned (as well as Uncontrollably Fond, which I don’t hold against him as he did not write it; he was also the second PD on Joseon Gunman and Gaksital, which were both very well-shot).

Are You Human Too does not yet have a premiere date, but is looking at a broadcast run in the latter half of this year.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/06/gong-seung-yeon-falls-for-robot-seo-kang-joon-in-are-you-human-too/

Gong Seung-yeon falls for robot Seo Kang-joon in Are You Human Too

gongseungyeon_21b.jpg

Ah, the lineup is finally confirmed for KBS’s upcoming drama Are You Human Too, with Seo Kang-joon (Entourage) and Gong Seung-yeon (Circle) finalized as the main leads. This drama caught my interest early on with its unusual premise surrounding a romance involving an android and a human, and that’s enough to get me to tune in because I’m so wildly curious about how this relationship could possibly resolve satisfactorily.

The drama, which attached Seo Kang-joon first, unfolds when a third-generation chaebol is in an accident and falls into a coma, whereupon his mother puts in his place an android made to look exactly like her son. It sounds like this “human impersonation con story” is necessitated by a brewing power struggle amongst the chaebols, and I’m thinking Mom must be trying to protect her son’s place. Seo Kang-joon will play that chaebol, Nam Shin, as well as his robot impersonator, Nam Shin-III.

Gong Seung-yeon will play Kang So-bong, a bodyguard with a tough and cool outer image. She’ll come to protect Nam Shin-III, and although she grumbles all the while, she’s described as a warm and lovable person. I’m glad to see her scoring another lead role after earning notice in a steady stream of supporting roles (Introverted Boss, Six Flying Dragons, Heard It Through the Grapevine), and doing quite nicely at the moment in Circle. Go Ara onboard had been initially courted for this role, but I’m just as happy to have Gong Seung-yeon.

Kim Sung-ryung (Mrs. Cop 2) has signed on to play Nam Shin’s mother, an expert in the field of artificial intelligence. Described as intelligent and intensely focused, she’s also the lead researcher working on developing the android with a secret team of top international scientists. Long estranged from her son, her longing for him is what initially prompts her to make the robot that looks like her son.

Yoo Oh-sung (Uncontrollably Fond), meanwhile, is considering a role as Seo Kang-joon’s opponent, which should be right up his alley since Yoo is quite the old hand at playing fierce rivals and villains. Yoo’s character is a high-level director of the chaebol group who believes that if he can just get Nam Shin out of the way, he could become head of the company.

Are You Human Too is written by Jo Jung-joo of The Princess’s Man, and directed by PD Cha Young-hoon of Uncontrollably Fond and Baek-hee Has Returned. The production aims to begin filming at the end of the month with the aim of airing on KBS in the fall, although it has not been given an official slot on the schedule yet.

kimsungryung_50.jpg

Kim Sung-ryung, Yoo Oh-sung

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/11/snow-steam-and-back-hugs-in-seo-kang-joons-robot-drama-are-you-human-too/

Snow, steam, and back-hugs in Seo Kang-joon’s robot drama Are You Human Too

Spoiler

humanitytoo1.jpg

It’s been a while since there have been any updates on the other robot rom-com in the pipeline, Are You Human Too (as opposed to MBC’s I’m Not a Robot), so I’m glad to see that it’s still chugging along. This drama comes from KBS, starring Seo Kang-joon (Entourage) in a dual role as a human and his robot look-alike. Directed by Cha Young-hoon (Baek-hee Has Returned, Shark) and written by Jo Jung-joo (Princess’s Man), Are You Human Too has an interesting setup that sounds really intriguing.

Kim Sung-ryung (Legend of the Blue Sea) plays a world-renowned robotics expert whose son, played by Seo Kang-joon, ends up in a comatose state. In order to protect her son and his chaebol inheritance from their greedy relatives, she creates an android that looks exactly like him to impersonate him while he gets well. Gong Seung-yeon (Circle) plays a former boxer and current bodyguard who becomes the closest companion to the newly created humanoid bot.

Filming began in June of this year and ended this past November, but the project has been in the works for nearly two years. Are You Human Too was filmed partially overseas in the Czech Republic, and some of the more intensive scenes were overseen by a special effects movie team. It’s no wonder the production cost was over 10 billion won (over $9 million).

A teaser trailer of Are You Human Too was released earlier this year at MIPCOM, a global entertainment trade fair and forum where over 14,000 broadcasting and production teams representing nearly a hundred countries introduce their latest creations. According to reports, there was a lot of interest from international content buyers in Are You Human Too’s potential, especially because of Seo Kang-joon’s popularity.

Currently, KBS has wrapped up filming for the fully pre-produced Are You Human Too and is getting ready to air it in the beginning half of next year.

Spoiler

humanitytoo2.jpg

humanitytoo3.jpg

humanitytoo4.jpg

humanitytoo5.jpg

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/01/beating-hearts-and-fiery-infernos-in-are-you-human-too-teaser/

Beating hearts and fiery infernos in Are You Human Too teaser

areyouhuman8.jpg

Given that the next trope trend on the horizon is android dramas, I’m excited at this glimpse of the our next entry in the genre, Are You Human Too, and especially at how different it is from our currently airing one, I’m Not a Robot. Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving the adorable romance and heart-pangs that I’m Not a Robot is giving me, but given that comparison between the dramas is inevitable, I’m glad to have them be more different than not.

Are You Human Too takes a much more serious, dramatic approach to the android premise, and seems tension-packed and action-driven based on this initial teaser. So far I’m liking the look of the show; it certainly looks to have made full use of its 10 million won budget and its fully pre-produced schedule (the drama has wrapped filming).

The show also puts the android front and center, which is the opposite of I’m Not a Robot; I’m intrigued to see how it’s the robot getting the bulk of the character and plot development, not the human. That’s because the premise centers around the android, Nam Shin-III, being brought in to serve as secret placeholder for its human counterpart, Nam Shin, a third-generation chaebol who lies in a coma. Seo Kang-joon plays both versions, and it’s Shin’s mother Kim Sung-ryung, a renowned AI expert, who is responsible for the switch; she creates the robot in her son’s image, and asks him to “protect Shin’s place.”

The teaser starts out with both versions of Shin coming face to face in surprise, and one asking, “What does it mean when our faces and names are the same?” Mom tearfully asks Shin-III (“a robot more human-like than a human”) to call her Mom, and the two embrace.

Yoo Oh-sung can always be counted on to play an ambitious villain, so I expect him to be our resident baddie here. He growls menacingly for someone to “do it in one job,” and we see a dangerous car chase unfold on the road, and Shin-III behind the wheel of a car.

As the android emerges from a car and is greeted by a staff of bowing employees, he says, “I’m not the Shin of the past.” Someone tells him in a low voice, “For god’s sake, act like Shin,” and he replies, “I’m Shin, too.” We see Shin embrace Gong Seung-yeon, who plays a bodyguard, and then an explosion rocks the interior of a restaurant. An angry voice yells, “I told you not to do anything conspicuous! Why don’t you listen?”

Then as Shin covers Gong Seung-yeon’s eyes, she says she can hear his heart beating. As he carries her out of a burning building, he tells her matter-of-factly, “I don’t have things like hearts.”

Are You Human Too will premiere in early 2018.

Spoiler

areyouhuman1.jpg

areyouhuman2.jpg

areyouhuman3.jpg

areyouhuman4.jpg

areyouhuman5.jpg

areyouhuman9.jpg

areyouhuman11.jpg

areyouhuman12.jpg

areyouhuman17.jpg

areyouhuman18.jpg

areyouhuman19.jpg

areyouhuman20.jpg

areyouhuman21.jpg

areyouhuman22.jpg

areyouhuman25.jpg

areyouhuman27.jpg

areyouhuman28.jpg

areyouhuman29.jpg

areyouhuman30.jpg

areyouhuman34.jpg

areyouhuman35.jpg

areyouhuman36.jpg

areyouhuman38.jpg

areyouhuman39.jpg

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/02/seo-kang-joon-takes-the-lead-in-webtoon-adaptation-between-us/

Seo Kang-joon takes the lead in webtoon adaptation Between Us

SeoKangJoon1.jpg

It’s strange to get casting news about Seo Kang-joon’s next drama when his last drama, KBS’s Are You Human Too, hasn’t even premiered yet. That one was entirely pre-produced and won’t be out till later this year, but the actor has already signed on to his next project. He’s accepted an offer to be the leading man in the new drama Between Us, an adaptation of a friends-to-lovers romance webtoon by the same name.

The original webtoon by Lee Yeon-ji ran from 2014 to 2016 and is the most popular webtoon on platform Lezhin Comics to date, with 130 million views. It’s a romance set on a college campus, about a boy and girl who have been best friends since they entered high school. The heroine, Do Ga-young, is your average wallflower who stumbles a bit through the social aspects of college life. But she’s very outspoken around her best friend, Han Woo-jin, who’s a charming social butterfly with a classic cold-on-the-outside, warm-on-the-inside personality.

The webtoon starts out with Ga-young having to navigate her freshman year of college without her wingman, because while they were happy to get into the same school, he went straight to army after high school. Fast-forward two years later when he finally joins her on campus, and they easily fall back into their comfortable routine of doing everything together, to the point that everyone just assumes they’re dating. But of course, the line between friendship and romance begins to blur.

It reads like a slice-of-life campus drama much like Cheese in the Trap, which might explain why production company Eight Works, of tvN’s Cheese in the Trapadaptation, is behind this project too. I don’t think comparisons to Cheese will do this drama any favors though, especially with Seo Kang-joon starring, so hopefully this one steers clear of any similar production woes.

Based on the first few episodes of the webtoon, the hero is already pretty swoony—he’s prickly to everyone but the heroine, he’s always coming up with excuses to be around her, and he’s extremely protective of her. He also oozes charm, which often leaves the heroine all fluttery and confused. I can easily see Seo Kang-joon in the role, and I hope they cast someone good opposite him because I love a good friends-to-lovers drama and find this relationship cute from the start.

Between Us doesn’t have a broadcaster yet, but hopefully we’ll see it sometime this year.

BetweenUs.jpg

Finally Seo Kang Joon's popularity is rising. :)

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.soompi.com/2018/05/22/sooyoung-seo-kang-joon-talks-unite-new-drama/?utm_source=recommended-articles&utm_medium=RIT2&utm_campaign=recommendations

Sooyoung And Seo Kang Joon In Talks To Unite For New Drama

Sooyoung-Seo-Kang-Joon.jpg

Girls’ Generation’s Sooyoung may be starring in a new drama soon!

On May 23, an industry representative reported that Sooyoung is likely to play the lead in the upcoming drama “The Third Charm” (literal title).

In response, her agency Echo Global Group commented, “Choi Sooyoung has received an offer for ‘The Third Charm’ and is positively considering it.”

As announced earlier, Seo Kang Joon is in talks to play the male lead. Chun Woo Hee was previously in discussion to play the female lead.

A joint production by ImagineAsia and JYP Pictures, “The Third Charm” is a romantic comedy that follows the realistic romance of the leads Ban Min Soo and Lee Young Jae. It is co-written by Park Eun Young of film “Maundy Thursday” and Park Hee Kwon of film “The Flu.” It will be directed by Pyo Min Soo, who has previously led “Full House,” “Worlds Within,” and “Producer.”

• 1 month later...

@Lawyerh Our poor boy keeps getting hurt. But he looks mighty hot 

i approve the fighting scenes :lol:

I actually prefer him in dramas like this ( Watcher )  , k romances especially rom coms are a hit & miss . Hence @titania1000 I hv my reservations about the potential new drama . But let’s see . Nothing is set in stone . 

On 8/8/2019 at 12:01 AM, Lawyerh said:

@triplem @Ameera Ali his old drama...he was in forever SLS last time...:joy:

I watched long eps fam drama bcos of him lol... but ofc i skip the rest like mad!

Did u guys know this drama?

Drama is What Happened to My Family? Quite a fun watch. Lawyer HTJ was in the drama too. 

3 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

Yeah she is there. Haha.. but i mainly skip her portion. Cos i only interested in his romance. Its long series tho ktcj haha... Park Hyung Sik is the main lead. If u have many hours to spare u shall watch :lol:

I watched already... Her storyline is the funniest actually :lol:

4 minutes ago, Lawyerh said:

@triplem Since we briefly talk about vampire. Joonie wishes is to play in vampire drama :lol: What you say? Yes? No? Me... can't wait... 

@Heidi Seow Glasses? Yeah now that u mentioned it... haha he definitely need one as bookworm eh bookowner store :D

Ikr @Lawyerh as bookworm or owner must have a glasses. This drama should be winter background right? Imagine bright creamy white outfit, light brown pants with his brown eyes and glasses. Perhaps black or brown bronze hair tone? B) 

• LOL 1