[Mainland Chinese Drama 2015] The Four 少年四大名捕

jwand

@kokodus,

No worries. As

@themarchioness pointed out we all have our tastes. I personally don’t like romantic comedies much. I mostly find them a waste of my time. I prefer serious shows like crime shows or melodrama. Shows that make me think and feel. However, sometimes I watch romantic comedy for light watching. I think most drama watchers love romcom because when I look at Viki the numbers show that as well as the post count on threads here on Soompi. 

If I am honest, as much as I loved Peach Blossom, the only thing I find “amazing” about it is Mark Chao’s portrayal of Ye Hua and Mo Yuan. I also loved the romance mainly for him because Yang Mi was kind of stiff. Many people complained that they couldn’t feel her love for Ye Hua in the third lifetime because she seemed so cold. I was okay with her but I also saw why others thought she was cold. Besides Mark Chao and the love story, I don’t find the overall story exceptional. Also, I think PB is considered “fantasy” rather than historical. Nirvana in Fire is my gold standard for historical Chinese drama so far as I have seen. Story wise, Legend of Lu Zhen to me is also better than Peach Blossom although it also suffers from repetitive tolerance for the villain much like Peach Blossom. However, because Peach Blossom’s story has a happy ending, it scores extra points for me and I think of it very fondly. Nirvana and Lu Zhen didn’t have happy endings but their endings suit the story. I am currently watching Nirvana in Fire 2 and already I find it right up there with its prequel in intelligent story telling.

@themarchioness, I just finished the arc with Coldblood’s healing from the poison and while watching today, I realized I can watch this show a gazillion times. lol I wanted to own this show so bad but I guess I will just have to be satisfied with Viki for as long as the license last.

Random observations:

I admit I disliked when Coldblood and Heartless were yanking Yi Yi when they found her at the inn with the poison. I do understand that she was a part of the clan but I thought they were all acting unreasonably towards her even after she told them it’s Wen Ru Yi who poisoned the people and Ru Yan. Seeing them manhandle and constantly threatening her annoyed me.

Ru Yan. At first I thought she was asking Li Mo to stay by Wu Qin’s side as a companion if she died but I later decided she must mean it platonically. Otherwise, it would have been too much if she was asking for more not knowing Li Mo’s circumstances.

That forceful prince in the foreign tribe sure didn’t care what Li Mo thought. I couldn’t believe when he told her that her important person is no longer her fate since the day she entered his village. For him Li Mo’s feelings didn’t matter.

Yao Hua. It’s so funny to me when the princess tried to stop Coldblood from leaving and Yao Hua defended him, the princess declared that she should understand since they’re both fighting Li Mo over him and Coldblood is right there to hear this. lol Anyway, I liked that Coldblood tried to address the elephant in the room by immediately raising the issue with YH before they left the city limits. Later on I think ZH was marvelous when he confronted her again in Madame Knife’s house. He tried to get her to leave by trying to get her to deliver a letter but she refused and finally they had a honest conversation about their relationship. Coldblood was finally open with her even declaring that there was someone else in his heart and that he didn’t want her to be stranded there especially since their paths were different. You could see he was sincerely concerned about her and felt burdened by what she was doing. When he told her that she should go back to the bureau, find a good man and get married, I admit that must have hurt but it was necessary for her to hear because he knew only the truth could help her to let go.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@celebrianna As I said, I don't have much experience with chinese historicals, the only others I have watched are Peach blossoms and General and I (which I didn't finish). I watched Four only for Zhang Han, okay and a little bit because of Yang Yang, but both of their characters were uninteresting. I ended up liking chaser a lot. LOL. And this is my first time watching William Chan. And of course Janine played Li mo exceptionally well, only because of her I was interested in the main romance. I also didn't like the dubbing voice of Zhang Han, it just didn't suit him at all imo. It may also be because I was fresh from watching here to heart and his original voice there was really swoony at times I just can't do with this dubbing voice in here. He looked young here in Four, but his voice seemed so much deep and stern and with no emotions. Sigh. I just finished watching The classic of mountains and seas and the dubbing voice there seemed to have suited him perfectly. So yeah... sigh

You know my mom always say, if you don't have anything nice to say, keep quiet and don't open your mouth at all. That was what I was doing but now you guys are making me speak. Tsk tsk. 

@celebrianna, yay!  You found time to watch more eps.

Regarding JC, she performed really well in that scene where Coldblood and her were arguing that night at the inn. She was so upset that she was trembling and even the way she spoke shakily while holding back tears was so natural. I really find her acting so real. And when Coldblood wiped away her tears and promised her that he won’t allow anyone to hurt her, that little sob that escaped from her lips nailed it for me.

She is great in this drama as well.  I was just rewatching that scene where Coldblood drags her back to their quarters after saving her from the first rapist.  Her expressions and gestures as she refuses to tell him the real reason why she wants to continue being a deputy are just spot on, but also so natural.  She is Li Mo, just as ZH is Coldblood.  I have only seen JC in "H2H" and "The Four," but her work in both dramas makes me want to scout out her other work.  (I'd love to watch her and Wallace Chung in "Best Time," but I've read about its ending....)

I meant when she left her aunt/uncle’s house and came to the bureau. Yu Er seem knowledgeable about making it on her own. She planned her path to enter the bureau. I liked that about her. I also thought it was very nice of her to give Li Mo travel money when she was headed to Long Xi. 

I'd have to rewatch that scene.  I don't recollect her indicating whether there was any great distance between her relatives' house and the Bureau, but I agree she definitely had a plan for bettering her situation and that is admirable.  She was a good person and I was glad she and Li Mo were able to be friends.  I imagine they'll be together forever.  :) 

As to their personal income, I also do not think they make much. Hearing the princess talk about the “little” status of a deputy, I figure they also didn’t get paid much in comparison to court officials etc. However, the bureau does indeed provide them with daily essentials which is a good thing. 

"Perfect Couple" was another drama where the main character was a deputy and my recollection from that drama was that he didn't make much money doing that work (like it was an actual point the drama discussed) but it was a highly regarded position and he was fortunate to come from a wealthy family that allowed him to be a detective but still live to his accustomed standards.  I imagine similar situations here for The Four.  In addition to being provided resources through the Bureau, Coldblood is the adopted son of a royal family member.  Chaser must come from a similarly wealthy/high position family if he's been friends with the Princess since childhood.  And my impression of Heartless, based on his back story with Ru Yin, is that he also comes from (at the very least) a comfortable background.  It's only iron First who doesn't come from money.

I remember the fabric print for Li Mo’s bed but I admit I didn’t realize the pattern in the other places even though they were right in my face. lol You’re quite observant. I did however notice how clean Heartless’ floor is in his room compared to Coldblood’s. 

You mean except when he was drunk and had all his things scattered across the rooom?  ;)  I can't say I have ever compared their floors . . . was Coldblood's dirty or do you just mean cluttered with things?  And you will  not be able to miss the pink flowered fabric now that I've pointed it out!  Haha.

In that scene I think Coldblood was absolutely furious with Yao Hua, her underlings and the princess. I didn’t see him as truly angry with Li Mo. I think it was more like he was scolding her than he was angry with her. . . Also, if we assume the scriptwriter is trying to make a point through the words of YH’s underlings in the arrow incident, they too seemed convince that Coldblood’s fury was unnatural and could only mean he cared very much for Li Mo.

Yes, that is what I mean exactly.  I also don't think he's truly angry with Li Mo.  He just sounds it because that's the only way he knows how to express his care/concern.  For Li Mo who doesn't know any better, she assumes he's angry at her, but for everyone else who've been around him longer and know what he's normally like, they know that this is him being different.  Yao Hua gives a similar explanation to Li Mo when they're cooking the medicine together at the Inn, and she's trying to stake her claim and Li Mo wonders why she's bothering.

I find it so hilarious how afterwards when Li Mo was sitting by the pond recalling how Coldblood rescued her, she started to vocalize her thoughts about how he’s a strange cold blooded animal while she’s  chuckling and he was right there when she turned to get up and he had to steady her with his hand and then he asked her if that’s how she repay him...by making fun of him. LOL

They are toooo funny (and cute!).  You know that fan music video I posted a few weeks ago that has all their cute moments (including the one you described)?  I confess I watch it all the time.  LOL.  I just love that collection of the OTP's antics.

I did catch up on some more episodes but I keep rewatching the ones at the inn after they returned from the fight with WRY. I really like those episodes so I’m savoring them before the upcoming separation.

I totally understand that.  Especially since the separation is SUCH a drag.  It's hard to move on, particularly when the episodes that come right before it are SO great.  It sounds like though you finally moved on.  :) 

I just finished the arc with Coldblood’s healing from the poison and while watching today, I realized I can watch this show a gazillion times. lol I wanted to own this show so bad but I guess I will just have to be satisfied with Viki for as long as the license last.

After the first time watching on Viki with subs, I've just been rewatching the unsubbed version on YouTube.  I have found that it's great to put on in the background when doing housework or cooking.  Haha.  This is when I'm grateful that I can still understand and know where the drama is through listening alone, even if I can't watch also watch.  (It's actually playing in the background right now while I respond to your posts.  Heh.)

I admit I disliked when Coldblood and Heartless were yanking Yi Yi when they found her at the inn with the poison. I do understand that she was a part of the clan but I thought they were all acting unreasonably towards her even after she told them it’s Wen Ru Yi who poisoned the people and Ru Yan. Seeing them manhandle and constantly threatening her annoyed me.

It's always unpleasant and dramas seeing characters manhandle others so I get that.  I guess Coldblood and Heartless were feeling desperate at the time.  It was unfair to Yi Yi though.

Ru Yan. At first I thought she was asking Li Mo to stay by Wu Qin’s side as a companion if she died but I later decided she must mean it platonically. Otherwise, it would have been too much if she was asking for more not knowing Li Mo’s circumstances.

I think you're right.  Plus, we know from the conversation she and Li Mo had before they were initially set to part ways that she wasn't unaware of how Li Mo and Coldblood felt about each other.

That forceful prince in the foreign tribe sure didn’t care what Li Mo thought. I couldn’t believe when he told her that her important person is no longer her fate since the day she entered his village. For him Li Mo’s feelings didn’t matter.

I hated him with a passion.  For the reason you cited and everything else.  Did he just think she would really stay there forever, leaving behind her other life???  He thought very highly of himself, that's for sure.  I pity the women who does eventually end up with him.

Oh random observation because the video in the background just alerted me to the fact that it's on that scene where Coldblood and Li Mo reappear and the Princess goes running into his arms, but he sets her aside and goes after Li Mo: I love that he takes her hand as they walk off together.  HE HOLDS HER HAND.  And this is all before they make clear their feelings for each other.  :wub:

You could see he was sincerely concerned about her and felt burdened by what she was doing. When he told her that she should go back to the bureau, find a good man and get married, I admit that must have hurt but it was necessary for her to hear because he knew only the truth could help her to let go.

Agreed.  I give Coldblood props for that as well.  There were many times throughout the drama, even before he had feelings for Li Mo, where he tried to set the boundaries of their relationship.  (For example, when she tried to give him that special pillow thingy to sleep better because the weather was warm, and he declined.)  I also agree that you can tell how her unrelenting affections for him weighed on him -- and not in a, "he found it annoying" sort of way (like with the Princess) but that it was a responsibility he had to carry.  It's too bad Yao Hua who was so reasonable in most other things just couldn't give up on him.  Even her underlings mentioned to her on more than one occasion that it would be advisable for her to move on.  Sigh.

@kokodus, I’m all too familiar with that saying if you don’t have anything good to say don’t say it at all. However, I don’t think what you’re saying is anything bad. It’s just your perception or take on his role in The Four. I didn’t like his role much at all in Classic Hills and Mountain. I watched that before The Four and didn’t like the story much either. I was surprised to hear it was adapted from a Japanese manga though. Just my two cents. ^_^ I’ll reiterate that I love him, WC and YY in their roles. Just like I don’t care much for rom-com, I generally prefer more serious characters in general so Wu Qin and Coldblood personalities suit my taste more. As as an aside, to show you how much tastes differ, I dropped Descendants of the Sun on episode 5 (I just didn’t like it at all) and it took me about six attempts to actually finish Secret Garden. In drama land I’m probably an outcast for admitting that. lol

@themarchioness, agreed. JC is very good. I always wondered why she’s not more successful or more well known after I watched The Four. Maybe she just doesn’t have the right connections or agency. 

You mean except when he was drunk and had all his things scattered across the rooom?  ;)  I can't say I have ever compared their floors . . . was Coldblood's dirty or do you just mean cluttered with things?  And you will  not be able to miss the pink flowered fabric now that I've pointed it out!  Haha.

Wu Qin’s wooden floors appeared generally clean and polished. I don’t remember if the wood seemed dirty when he was drunk though. Coldblood’s floor has some blemishes in the wood near the entrance and the carpet looks kind of dirty when the camera showed the cut waist tie from Li Mo’s maid outfit. lol However, I suppose in those days they didn’t have a vacuum closer but at least the carpet can be hung up outside and beaten to get rid of the dirt. 

They are toooo funny (and cute!).  You know that fan music video I posted a few weeks ago that has all their cute moments (including the one you described)?  I confess I watch it all the time.  LOL.  I just love that collection of the OTP's antics.

And that is exactly why I knew I had to watch H2H when I found out about it. I had to see them act together again. I have the music video saved too but most times I just go back and watch the show itself because I know exactly which episode to find the moments. In that scene, after he walks off, Li Mo kept pressing her chest as if to feel her heart beat. I guess she was so startled or could it be something else? Heh

Oh random observation because the video in the background just alerted me to the fact that it's on that scene where Coldblood and Li Mo reappear and the Princess goes running into his arms, but he sets her aside and goes after Li Mo: I love that he takes her hand as they walk off together.  HE HOLDS HER HAND.  And this is all before they make clear their feelings for each other.  :wub:

I loved that scene second after the one where he told them all that any move they make (to hurt Li Mo) would be a move against him. Even Chaser commented that it’s unlike Coldblood to act that way. Heh. About that scene where he takes Li Mo’s hand, I felt bad for YH though. I really think she wasted her life. I don’t understand her at all. Actually, I never understand these types of characters who can’t let go. How could they be so adamant about another person especially when they already confessed and the other person never encouraged them? 

And about him rejecting YH even before he fell for Li Mo, the clearest example is that time after he told her about the night of the massacre of his clan.  When she responded by suggesting that they get revenge together and he said something like, “YH, I told you this so you can be at ease. You have your own life and I have my own fate.” He clearly told her that they don’t share the same fate. 

I find it so curious that after getting together the only time Li Mo and him discussed his revenge at length was when he was trying to break up with her. He did mention his revenge the night he proposed to her but only briefly. 

Also, when he returned from Long Xi without Li Mo and was in her room sitting on her bed, it suddenly occurred to me that after they got together there was only one or two scenes of them together in the room now compared to many in the past when they were not together. It also probably reinforced Li Mo’s decision to leave since they weren’t talking and they still shared the same lodging. Talk about uncomfortable.

@kokodus,

exactly. My tastes differ a lot from most posters on Soompi.

:D  Currently the threads I post on mostly have the same posters who love crime shows like I do. I mean, I am thoroughly enjoying Life on Mars and Come and Hug Me and there has been some discussion on those threads regarding why the shows are not getting as much attention but like some concluded, most Soompi members prefer shows like What’s Happening with Secretary Kim. :) Still, it’s funny to me that the crime shows I watch do end up getting higher ratings than rom-com on Mydramalist. We should all love what we like. I do like Ten Miles Blossoms too so not only H2H.

@celebrianna, re: JC, I don't know.  She has a pretty lengthy filmography already.  I'll definitely keep an eye out for her in the future!  Don't know that I'm all that interested in her past projects though... some of them I've heard of, but didn't know about her then.

Wu Qin’s wooden floors appeared generally clean and polished. I don’t remember if the wood seemed dirty when he was drunk though. Coldblood’s floor has some blemishes in the wood near the entrance and the carpet looks kind of dirty when the camera showed the cut waist tie from Li Mo’s maid outfit. lol However, I suppose in those days they didn’t have a vacuum closer but at least the carpet can be hung up outside and beaten to get rid of the dirt. 

I feel like I must now do a full rewatch again just to inspect these two floors!  (Convenient excuse?  I'll let you decide . . . ^_^)  I will say though that, in general, one gets the sense that Wu Qin is into the finer things whereas I'm pretty sure Coldblood would  be happy to just have a roof over his head and clothing on his back.  You can sense their different styles from their clothing and their choice of decor (which is something I did notice about their quarters).  That may, however, account for some of the other differences you noticed as well.  (I'm definitely going to go check out that carpet since you've identified that specific moment, lol!)  

About that scene where he takes Li Mo’s hand, I felt bad for YH though.

You're a kinder person than me then.  It's not that I don't have sympathy for her or that there aren't moments where I feel bad for her, but on the whole, I also feel like it's a choice she (and other characters like her) make.  He couldn't have been clearer with her when he told her to live her own life, but she still persisted, held on, and refused to go.  I don't know.  It's hard for me to feel sympathetic in that moment.  

I find it so curious that after getting together the only time Li Mo and him discussed his revenge at length was when he was trying to break up with her. He did mention his revenge the night he proposed to her but only briefly. 

Perhaps because his revenge plans were so widely known by then and plus she knew from having read his mind what was in his past and his future.  Honestly, when he explained his revenge plans to Yao Hua, I felt like that was as much for the viewers' benefit as it was for her so that we, as watchers of the drama, would better understand his character and know what he was going through.  Yao Hua was a convenient vehicle for that explanation and it worked the plotting of the story.  I don't place any significance then on the fact that he discussed it in greater detail with her versus Li Mo.

Also, when he returned from Long Xi without Li Mo and was in her room sitting on her bed, it suddenly occurred to me that after they got together there was only one or two scenes of them together in the room now compared to many in the past when they were not together. It also probably reinforced Li Mo’s decision to leave since they weren’t talking and they still shared the same lodging. Talk about uncomfortable.

Re: discomfort - so true!  It was already tense and awkward for them when they ran into each other along the corridor.  Re: the reduced number of scenes of them together in their rooms though, I think that's because he got called before the temp-emperor (or whatever we're calling that guy) soon after they were able to return to the Bureau.  That was immediately followed by his attempts to break up with her and then their next journey.  

@themarchioness, ROFL I know, I know. I’m unobservant about everything in those rooms except the floor. It’s so funny that I kept looking to see the blemish on Coldblood’s floor while thinking Li Mo is not doing her job well. lol And all that dust from the hanging lamp made me wonder if it hadn’t been cleaned for ages. lol It just seemed like too much dust was falling on Coldblood’s face when she was dusting it to get her hilarious revenge. lol I I totally agree that their rooms show their personalities. Even the names of the lodging seem to represent their taste. Coldblood lodging is Flying Clouds and Flashing Lightning and Heartless’ Motivation Clean and Behavior Straight. ^_^

I guess I felt bad for Yao Hua because of the way she reacted. Also, she really thought he had died and she was so happy to see him alive and I guess I just felt bad for her because she totally had her hopes up not knowing that Coldblood and Li Mo finally made some progress on the romantic front. Somehow she makes me feel more for her than YX. However, you’re absolutely right. Her persistence in this matter makes any hurt she suffered her responsibility. Although I haven’t reached the episodes where she turns on Coldblood, I must say now that my sympathy subsided in the conversation where she accused Coldblood of forcing her to take the wrong path because he rejected her when ASG made him choose between her life and Li Mo’s life.

By the way, I keep forgetting to mention how beautiful I think Li Mo’s mom is. The shape of her face kind of matches Li Mo’s too.

On 7/5/2018 at 8:12 PM, celebrianna said:

@themarchioness, ROFL I know, I know. I’m unobservant about everything in those rooms except the floor. It’s so funny that I kept looking to see the blemish on Coldblood’s floor while thinking Li Mo is not doing her job well. lol And all that dust from the hanging lamp made me wonder if it hadn’t been cleaned for ages. lol It just seemed like too much dust was falling on Coldblood’s face when she was dusting it to get her hilarious revenge. lol I I totally agree that their rooms show their personalities. Even the names of the lodging seem to represent their taste. Coldblood lodging is Flying Clouds and Flashing Lightning and Heartless’ Motivation Clean and Behavior Straight. ^_^

I guess I felt bad for Yao Hua because of the way she reacted. Also, she really thought he had died and she was so happy to see him alive and I guess I just felt bad for her because she totally had her hopes up not knowing that Coldblood and Li Mo finally made some progress on the romantic front. Somehow she makes me feel more for her than YX. However, you’re absolutely right. Her persistence in this matter makes any hurt she suffered her responsibility. Although I haven’t reached the episodes where she turns on Coldblood, I must say now that my sympathy subsided in the conversation where she accused Coldblood of forcing her to take the wrong path because he rejected her when ASG made him choose between her life and Li Mo’s life.

By the way, I keep forgetting to mention how beautiful I think Li Mo’s mom is. The shape of her face kind of matches Li Mo’s too.

Super busy weekend (super busy with work these days) so I haven't had a chance to check out those floors, but you know I definitely will.  (I may have finally moved on from H2H, but I'm still at one with The Four, LOL.)  The hanging lamps definitely hadn't been dusted in a long while in order for there to be so much dust falling on his face.  But I think there was that much dust in the first place to serve a purpose for that scene (and not for us to necessarily think he has a dirty room).  It's similar to how Heartless had a dusty sign outside his quarters, which meant that Li Mo then had to climb a ladder to dust it in order for her to fall and have him catch her.  i guess the writers didn't anticipate we would dissect all these little scenes and think of everything though!  ;) 

Speaking of questioning things, something I've long wondered about, when Li Mo, Mu Xue, and Heartless stop at that abandoned cottage on their way back from that tribal village to the Bureau, they decide to help him find his memory by restaging Ru Yen's departure to get married and death  . . . but where do suddenly they find that palanquin and the people to carry it?!  They're in the middle of a forest.  Haha.  Oh, this drama and its logics sometimes... Hee!

As for Yao Hua, oh yes, my eyes were definitely rolling hard when she tried to blame Coldblood for her decision to work with ASG.  But by the end, even though I hadn't felt much sympathy for her along the way, I definitely felt bad for her in that scene outside the cave.  You could just see how she regretted everything and now was having to live with those consequences, and that was rough.  Also, she was never a "bad" person, she just struggled with her one-sided devotion towards Coldblood.  I liked her, in spite of herself.

Agree with you on Li Mo's mother.  She was pretty.

@themarchioness, I’m in the same boat as you. Work...work...work.

Anywho, yes, it was so hilarious to me that they had all the trappings and people to participate in their re-enactment of Heartless’ tragedy. One thing I kept wondering about is how Li Mo kept casually reporting about the tragedy of his love life without any qualms about hurting him. I understand that she wanted him to remember but it seemed a bit insensitive to me for her to talk so casually to MX about it right in front of Heartless though he still had amnesia.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived