• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

November 12, 2015

[bnt interview]

‘Inside Men’ Lee Byung-hun, “Action Speaks Louder than Words”

Source: BNTNews

ustnczq1bf45uc5qdurbkmsrxis1t7ee.jpg

[by Kim Hee Kyung, translated by Yoonjung Yi] “I don’t feel pressured to see how I may appear on screen. As an actor, that is ultimately a happiness of finding my other self.”

Lee Byung-hun, the main actor of film ‘Inside Men’ that is due for release on November 19, recently sat down for an interview with bntnews. His grave tone and deep eyes were more fascinating than any other euphemism. 

‘Inside Men’ revolves around Ahn Sang-goo (Lee Byung-hun), a political gangster that helps a leading candidate for presidency and owner of a big conglomerate. 

No one ever questioned Lee Byung-hun’s exceptional acting skills. However, when he was asked about whether or not if the movie will be a box office success, he answered with a smile “I honestly don’t know.”

“I’m not just saying, but I really don’t know how this movie will turn out. Once you get into your character, you lose your objectivity. That is especially true to the casts and directors about their works.” He added, “I am cautious to say, but finished works must be premiered on theatres, and I want to bring the best outcome as possible to people who worked with me.”

ykqw79zw5p2ttonug11rtttxwi89diq3.jpg

In the film, Ahn Sang-goo acts as a leading force of malice in the society that brings chaos to the Korean politics, but he later becomes the righteous man that takes revenge on people who betrayed him. While the original webtoon features serious and tough Ahn Sang-goo, Lee Byung-hun instead portrays a heart-warming, but sometimes just a little slow, character. This charming character of Ahn Sang-goo was carefully discovered after endless discussion between the actor and the director. 

“After filming the movie, Jo Seung-woo, the director, and I went to grab some beer. Then, the director asked if I remember what I first said after reading the script. Apparently, I said that Ahn Sang-goo is the least charming character. I cannot remember the details, but the power of the storyline is so powerful that might be difficult for audiences to keep up with the movie. Therefore, we thought if we add a humorous character to ease the viewing experience. Finally, we gave more dimension and life to the character Ahn Sang-goo, which allows the audiences to breathe.”

During the two hours, ‘Inside Men’ unfolds the dark sides and evil human nature in politics and a battle of wits. The overpowering vibe of top actors may wear out the audiences, although the plotline is solid. Yet, Lee Byung-hun said that the movie was supposed to be much longer, and was sorry to let go of the scenes that were cut out. 

“The movie was shortened from 3 hours and 40 minutes to 2 hours and 10 minutes. We had a lot of discussions and thinking during the editing phase, especially with the characters and scenario. In the end, our crew decided that the movie was speedy and strong. Although there might be some downsides, and the time frame may be confusing, but I think we did well at the end. Yet, I am not fully content as being an actor.”

20151103_161.jpg

In the film, Ahn Sang-goo stood by the justice in order to take revenge on the complete darkness that abandoned him. What kind of character would Ahn Sang-goo be? Lee Byung-hyun shared something that teared down our prejudice in movies. 

“As an actor, I do not think playing the good or evil part matters. The only film I acted as complete evil was ‘The Good, The Bad, The Weird’. Ahn Sang-goo is not a character than can be defined as black and white, but he is in the grey area. His profession may be extremely bad, but he has a good heart and he does some good things.”

Lee Byung-hun did not simply became a world star due to the ‘Hallyu wave (The Korean Wave)’. Through countless works like ‘I Saw the Devil (2010)’, ‘Masquerade (2012)’ and ‘G.I. Joe2 (2013)’, Lee Byung-hun proved to show a completely new side of him in every film, while remaining absorbed in his roles. In ‘Inside Men’, Lee Byung-hun let of his charisma, and went all the way down when he had to, in order to please the audiences. 

“I will never be able to be Ahn Sang-goo, but I try to stay as close and real to the character. It is a natural process for any actors, once they start filming. In a way, it is an inner battle with myself. Eventually, I find myself thinking like the character.”

Lee Byung-hun is one of the most high-profile actors in Korea. The only way we are truly allowed to judge him is through his acting skills. Although he messed up in the past, we all know that we are curious how he will do in the future. (photo by Hohohobeach)

November 16, 2015

Cho Seung Woo tells that he calls Lee Kyung Young 'older brother'

Source: STARN News

Cho Seung Woo told that he calls Lee Kyung Young 'older brother.'

Recently, actor Cho Seung Woo had an interview with StarN News at a café that is located in Palpan-dong, Seoul, and talked about his close co-actors.

Cho Seung Woo said, "I get very irritated when I see younger actors feeling awkward with me. Some even put 'Mr.' before my name, and I get angry when they do that."

Cho Seung Woo continued, "I decide whether to put 'Mr.' or not by age, and I feel old when they put 'Mr.' in front of my name."

Cho Seung Woo also said, "I spoke in respective form to Lee Kyung Young at first, but he asked me to call him 'older brother,' and not use the respective form. I was very glad to see someone who thinks the way I do. Now, I call him 'older brother.'"

Cho Seung Woo also mentioned about Lee Byung Heon and said, "Same thing happened with Lee Byung Heon. He is over ten years older than I am, but I don't speak in the respective form when I talk to him. He looked a bit surprised, but he quickly got used to it."

Meanwhile, Cho Seung Woo's new film, 'Inside Men,' will be officially released on November 18th.

Cho Seung Woo tells that he calls Lee Kyung Young 'older brother'

/Reporting by Lee Mi-Ji en@starnnews.com

Archived