Kim Hee-Ae 김희애

Helena

JTBC PLUS | 2020. 05. 17. 8:35 PM

"The World of the Married" writes new history with Kim Hee Ae

3BB03044-7CB5-477A-ADDC-7F61DD8EF3C8.jpg

"The World of the Married " wrote a new history page.

The Fri-Sat Drama "The World of the Married" (JTBC) ending on May 16 is the first work of JTBC Studio. Basing on the original drama "Doctor Foster" (BBC, UK),  JTBC Studio created a well-made remake with a complex storyline and dramatic development in each airing minute. The clear message, the psychological acting that pushed the tension to the climax, and the harmonious combination of actors Kim Hee Ae, Park Hae Joon, and Han So Hee together created powerful synergy and an explosive craze. The drama-related things also attracted attention, thereby helping the work leave an unforgettable impression on the audience.

Achieving the highest rating of 31% among non-terrestrial dramas

Right from the first episode, PD Mo Wan Il clearly revealed his direction plan, saying, "I will make a more realistic work than the previous ones that deal with the marriage theme, as well as making it much deeper than the original work." Therefore, "The World of the Married" immediately attracted viewers' attention with its quick development. The drama also unfolded subtle psychological warfare between the characters, thereby earning acclaim from the film industry, that "A spectacular psychological drama" has been born.

From the very beginning, "The World of the Married" showed its extraordinary strength. The viewership rating of episode 1 scored 6.3% nationwide and 6.8% in the metropolitan area (according to the paid household standard, Nielsen Korea), thus collecting the title of "The drama with the highest first-episode viewership rating in JTBC's history". Afterward, the rating of the drama surpassed 10% when it was only episode 2 and until episode 6 that marked the closing of the first chapter, the drama soon exceeded the 20% figure when recording a rating of 18% nationwide and of 21.4% in the metropolitan area. The work also surpassed the seemingly unreachable milestone of 30% thanks to the ending promoting its strong power. The final episode had deep resonance in viewers as it achieved a rating of 28.4% nationwide and of 31.7% in the metropolitan area, thereby putting an end to an incredible achievement when once again breaking the highest record of non-terrestrial dramas.

00FFE813-AA2D-45A8-8455-74F6E15CF6A9.jpg

Kim Hee Ae (The World of the Married)

The explosive synergy of JTBC and Kim Hee Ae

JTBC and Kim Hee Ae are a trustworthy-to-watch combination because they have always gained explosive ratings and created great sensations whenever teaming up. It is a relationship in which they exchange good energy in both directions. This time, they wrote a new history page again. After her first collaboration with JTBC through "A Wife's Credentials" (2012), Kim Hee Ae came back to JTBC 6 years after "Secret Affair" (2014). The actress genuinely depicted the unspeakable harsh world of marriage between love and hatred. She showed her charismatic acting that captivated viewers and made them unable to take their eyes off her every action, gesture, and gaze.

Kim Hee Ae also leaves an impression with her fashion style in the drama. Earlier, the actress got listed in "Icons of U40" through the drama "Secret Affair". In this work, the beauty continued to demonstrate her unyielding status. She chose simple and elegant ton-sur-ton outfits in line with the concept of a "cold woman who seeks revenge". Instead of mixing multitude colors, Kim Hee Ae chose outfits of similar color tones, from inner, outer, to suits. This style gives accents with only one color applying for all monochromatic colors, but Kim Hee Ae's fashion earned intense interest of the public as Ji Sun Woo's signature style.

Spoiler

6B9BB3D7-7D40-4901-9189-D74CB8D03EBA.jpg
"Promising star" Han So Hee

Actress Han So Hee has emerged as a rising star in the first half of 2020 through the role of Yeo Da Kyung in "The World of the Married". With the drama's success, she has shown her star quality and garnered much attention from numerous fields like movies, advertisements, etc. In online communities, she is promoting influence as enormous as famous idols. As long as articles containing photos of her school days or model days are published, it will immediately become a hot topic. Even if the photo showing her arms full of tattoos she uploaded on SNS in the past has been dug up, netizens aged 10 to 20 still consider it a wannabe image. Thanks to her recognized acting skills and ability to cause a frenzy like idols, Han So Hee is receiving a lot of love calls from various industries.

As for Park Hae Joon - the actor nicknamed "national sinner", his value has also increased as much as the curses he had to receive. After "The World of the Married", his position has changed and his buzzword "It's not a sin to fall in love" proves that. Park Hae Joon is currently receiving invitations to a number of works. With a face dedicated to villain roles, along with the inferior image of Lee Tae Oh in "The World of the Married", the actor has expanded his acting career. Besides Park Hae Joon and Han So Hee, the cast members such as Kim Young Min, Park Sun Young, Chae Kook Hee, Shim Eun Woo, Lee Moo Saeng, Lee Hak Joo, etc. also became solid back for "The World of the Married" with their strong acting skills. Thanks to them, the drama managed to build a more thrilling mental battle and handle the stimulating situations and the speed of the happenings.

Reporter Hwang So Young /hwang.soyoung@jtbc.co.kr
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 3

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2020/05/688_289695.html

Cast emotional as 'The World of the Married' airs final episode

By Kwak Yeon-soo | 2020-05-18

3300190F-26C6-4D25-894C-9BF81D5F553F.jpg

Actress Kim Hee-ae poses with her script for the final episode of "The World of the Married." / Courtesy of JTBC

The cast of the smash-hit drama "The World of the Married" shared their final thoughts about the TV series and expressed gratitude to fans. 

Based on the BBC One TV series "Doctor Foster," the 16-episode drama set a new ratings record for a cable drama. Its final episode attracted 28.4 percent of the total viewership for its timeslot, Saturday, breaking the previous record of 23.8 percent set by the final episode of JTBC hit drama "Sky Castle" in 2019.

In "The World of the Married," Kim Hee-ae plays Ji Sun-woo, a dedicated wife and doctor who finds out about her husband's affair and sets out for revenge. It has caught viewers' attention with its fast-paced, suspense-filled plot, in which characters experience a whirlwind of emotions.

Actress Kim shared that she got emotional after shooting her final scene, but has no regrets because she put her all into portraying the character. 

"I was alone in the process of understanding and sympathizing with the situation surrounding my character Sun-woo, but I was less lonely thanks to viewers who showed affection and attention," Kim said through her agency YG Entertainment.

The veteran actress said playing Ji Sun-woo was a challenge because it required intense and powerful feelings to display many sides of the character ― from caring mother to aggressive wife.

"Sun-woo is a character that I cannot describe in one word. At first, I was afraid because I couldn't relate to the situation and character. As I was filming, I became more and more understanding of her," she said.

Kim mentioned a scene where her character finds out that she was living a lie at her husband Lee Tae-oh's birthday party. "I was more shocked by the betrayal of my colleagues and acquaintances; that was more shocking than that of my husband."

She added, "Sun-woo is a character who consumes a lot of emotions, so I had to concentrate on controlling my emotions for each scene. I really put all my energy into it."

Kim went on to praise her acting partner Park Hae-joon, who appeared as her husband Tae-oh. "Park is not only a good actor, but also has the ability to bring out the best performances from his co-actors," she said. 

Spoiler

2595A156-B35F-4EA7-B4AA-776F4187113C.jpg

Actor Park Hae-joon poses with his script for the final episode of "The World of the Married." / Courtesy of JTBC

Meanwhile, Park expressed his gratitude to drama fans. "I didn't expect my drama to achieve such popularity. I feel so relieved that fans enjoyed it so much throughout the 16 episodes. We worked so hard, and honestly, I feel sad now."

Park will join Song Kang-ho and Lee Byung-hun in the upcoming airline disaster film "Emergency Declaration," which is packed with suspense and action. 

He will play the presidential director of emergency management in the new film. The cast will start shooting the film at the end of May. 

69D0AA36-9779-4268-B2BF-327DEDA4C347.jpg

Actress Han So-hee poses with her script for the final episode of "The World of the Married." / Courtesy of JTBC

Actress Han So-hee, who rose to stardom by playing Tae-oh's mistress Yeo Da-kyung in "The World of the Married," commented, "I have mixed feelings because I lacked in many ways. I'll work harder to become a better actress." Details about Han's next project are not disclosed yet.

• Like 2

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200522003600315
Young actors move to online platforms as TV producers woo bankable veterans

SEOUL, May 22 (Yonhap) -- Young actors and actresses in their 20s and early 30s have been losing their presence on the South Korean small screen as producers are not willing to take chances by casting new faces in marquee roles.

The fantasy romance "The King: Eternal Monarch," starring Lee Min-ho and Kim Go-eun, and the mystery drama "Born Again," starring Jang Ki-yong and Jin Se-yeon, seem to be the only two TV series led by young stars out of dozens of soap operas and shows currently on air in the country.

"The King," on SBS, was one of the most anticipated series in the first half of this year for its star-studded cast, including Lee, and renowned screenwriter Kim Eun-sook.

But its lower-than-expected viewership ratings, which marked 6.5 percent for its ninth episode that aired last week, have seemingly hurt the yearslong reputation of Lee, 32, who has been known as a highly trusted commodity when it comes to dramas.

Viewership of KBS' "Born Again" has been hovering around 2 percent since it first aired in late April.

Moreover, TV dramas starring young actors and actresses, such as KBS' fantasy romance "Welcome" and tvN's romance "A Piece of Your Mind," both of which ended last month, received poor viewership ratings of 1 percent and soon disappeared from viewers' consciousness.

On the other hand, this year's hit TV series, including tvN's romantic comedy "Crash Landing On You," JTBC's melodrama "The World of the Married" and the medical drama "Hospital Playlist" on tvN, feature long-running stars, like Hyun Bin, Son Ye-jin, Kim Hee-ae and Jo Jung-suk.

This trend of young rising stars being upstaged by veterans is not new on the South Korean entertainment scene.

A few years ago, rookie actors, like Yang Se-jong, Woo Do-hwan and Jang Ki-yong, found stardom stars after their performances in sleeper hits, like "Temperature of Love," "Mad Dog" and "Come And Hug Me," respectively.

Since then, however, they remained as diamonds in the rough, without finding roles as principals in hit shows.

Experts said the increasing age of lead actors is largely attributable to a rise in production costs and fiercer competition in the TV industry.

"Producers and TV stations tend to choose a safer strategy," culture critic Park Ji-jong said. "They try not to take the risk of casting ham actors or actresses with unreliable acting skills and public recognition."

As a result, new platforms, such as Netflix, have become an opportunity for novice actors and beginners to start their acting careers.

Kim Dong-hee and Park Ju-hyun caught the eyes of many viewers in the teen crime drama "Extracurricular," a Korean Netflix original, for their better-than-expected acting skills.

"Young entertainers eye Netflix that can afford big-budget series and doesn't care about viewership or web-based drama studios, which seek future potential," Park, the culture critic, said.

brk@yna.co.kr
(END)

• Like 2

https://zapzee.net/2020/04/26/pick-films-of-kim-hee-ae-you-just-cannot-miss/

[PICK] Films of Kim Hee Ae You Just Cannot Miss

By krishkim | Edited by Hwang Hong Sun | Translated by Kim Hoyeun

4C286F41-D3B2-423F-AD68-A5D4369F4EB0.jpg

Credit: JTBC

Kim Hee Ae is currently presenting a classy revenge in The World of the Married. She, who has been acting for 37 years, has worked on numerous hit dramas, including The World of the Married currently airing. But when it comes to movies, she doesn’t have many so-called “box office hits.” Maybe that’s why she always says that she dives into the work as if she were a rookie actor. However, despite the results, she always shows excellent performances in every film.

The 101st Proposition, 1993 Credit: ShinCine Communications

2A966C9F-0BA5-4206-AB12-071362FF48C0.jpg
Kim Hee Ae made her debut in 1983 with 
First Day of 20 Years and has built up her career mostly in dramas after starring in several teen movies. The 101st Proposaldrew attention as her return to the big screen after a good while. The film is the remake of a Japanese drama of the same title, and depicts the story of a man falling in love with a cellist he met at a 100th blind date after being rejected the previous 99 times. Kim Hee Ae played the role of a cellist who can’t forget her dead fiance and presented fresh romance.

Thread of Lies, 2013 Credit: Movie Collage

85A65117-F278-4946-9B3A-B6A80CE2D750.jpg

After 21 years since The 101st Proposition, Kim Hee Ae once again returned to the big screen with Thread of Lies. Based on a novel of the same title by author Kim Ryeo Ryeong, it tells the story of a mother and an older sister digging into the hidden truth behind the death of a 14-year-old girl. Kim Hee Ae played the role of Hyun Sook, a mother who struggles with her daughter’s death but keeps the brave appearance. She showed such desperate and emotional performances that during the premiere, she shed tears watching her own performances.

C’est Si Bon, 2015 Credit: CJ Entertainmnet

Spoiler

B423213B-9EA3-45B9-B5D5-A6B7D2383DCF.jpg

It is a movie about the music and love of the youth at the time, set in “C’est Si Bon,” a music listening room that dominated Mugyo-dong, also called a street of youth. In the second half of the movie, Kim Hee Ae made a surprise appearance as older Min Ja Kyung (Han Hyo Joo played younger Min Ja Kyung) and perfectly portrayed the heartbreaking moment of the character upon learning the sad truth from the past.

The Vanished, 2018 Credit: Kidari ENT

Spoiler

9CF81132-2BC1-4C6D-B2B4-67E102455029.jpg

As the remake of the Spanish film The BodyThe Vanished depicts the story of a man who kills his spouse and dreams of the perfect murder, finding himself in the middle of chaos as her body goes missing from the morgue. As the report came out about Kim Hee Ae, who mostly appeared in melodrama, playing a role in a thriller, many expectations were raised about the film. Despite not often appearing as she played the role of a wife who disappears without a trace after getting killed by her husband, she certainly presented subtle performances.

Herstory, 2017 Credit: NEW

Spoiler

0C0B1BA6-8D49-4809-9AE8-F6885EC96E70.jpg

The film is based on a true story of the grandmothers and those who fought against the Japanese court while traveling back and forth between Shimonoseki and Busan from 1992 to 1998. Kim Hee Ae took on the role of Moon Jung Sook, a businessman who gallantly stood against the Japanese government regarding the former comfort women case, and is said to have practiced Busan dialect and Japanese for three months even before the official filming. She later said that her preparations were not only to perform the exact character but also to make the movie seem more realistic for the audience without causing any harm to the real people.

Moonlit Winter, 2019 Credit: Little Big Pictures

Spoiler

F67D0476-4E64-48E3-8C1D-DE495B8058E3.jpg

Affectionate queer melodrama Moonlit Winter calmly depicts the story of a woman who left for Otaru, where her first love from a long time ago lives. Kim Hee Ae played the role of Yoon Hee, who has lived with unspeakable pain for a long time, and captured the feelings of love, separation and longing solely in her face and eyes. In particular, in the scene where Yoon Hee meets her first love, she makes the audience feel her sad feelings without even saying a word.

————

https://zapzee.net/2020/03/23/three-reasons-why-herstory-is-still-loved/

[Review] Three Reasons Why ‘Herstory’ Is Still Loved

By krishkim | Edited by Hwang Hong Su | Translated by Kim Hoyeun | ImagesCr: NEW

Spoiler

337D9C41-A798-462D-A5F4-B3106D5121FE.jpg

Herstory tells the real-life story of the legal battle against the Japanese government regarding the former comfort women who were forced into sexual slavery by the Japanese military during World War II. Min Kyu Dong, a director of All About My Wife, has directed the film, and actor Kim Hee Ae played the main character who boldly fought against the Japanese government along with the former comfort women, grabbing much attention.

However, Herstory only attracted about 330,000 viewers, even with its high quality, actors’ enthusiastic performances, and heartfelt messages. Still, it is constantly loved amid the support and attention of many people who love the film. Why is the film, which was released two years ago, continuously loved and remembered? Based on the behind-the-scenes of Herstory, we can narrow it down to three reasons.

1. A Story that Director Min Kyu Dong Himself Wanted to Tell His Daughter

Spoiler

CE18A235-CF78-416B-BA35-FEEAA7726599.jpg

Director Min Kyu Dong said in various interviews that Herstory is a movie that contains the story, which he wanted to tell his daughter. He added that after learning about the comfort women, his daughter started publishing a novel based on them, but someone commented, “I wish you studied more before writing this.” Director Min said that as he saw this situation, he “vowed to produce a film that would be meaningful” for his daughter.

The title also includes director Min’s will. He used the word “herstory” to apply that this is the history written by the former comfort women themselves. He also added that he wanted to present the courage of these grandmothers and the solidarity and the empathy of those who helped them. Director Min’s Herstory, which reflects his true feelings, came as a warm and heartfelt film.

2. The Sincere Acting Performed by the Actors

Spoiler

588B63BF-1097-4965-A803-ABD07AA9578F.jpg

The combined career of the actors in Herstory is more than 200 years. The prominent actors, including Kim Hee Ae, Kim Hae Sook, Ye Soo Jung, Moon Sook, Lee Yong Nyeo, and Kim Sun Young, present the perfect ensemble. Also, those who played the former comfort women allowed tears and laughter in every scene.

Their acting careers are not the only thing that stands out. The actors’ efforts for the message in the film cannot be missed. First, Kim Hee As, who played the role of Moon Jung Sook, is said to have practiced Busan dialect and Japanese for three months even before the official filming. She stated that this was not only to perform the exact character but also to make the movie seem more realistic for the audience without causing any harm to the real people. Thanks to these efforts, Kim Moon Sook, the chairman of Busan Council for Women Drafted for Military Sexual Slavery by Japan, who actually led the trial, got on stage after the premiere and thanked the actors.

Lee Seol, who played Moon Jung Sook’s daughter, Hye Soo, registered as a free speaker in the weekly demonstrations to better perform the scene of weekly demonstrations. In addition, many actors, including Han Ji Min, Lee Yoo Young, Jung In Ki and Park Jung Ja, have decided to make special appearances to add the sincerity into the movie.

3. Thorough Historical Research Combined with Meaningful and Heart-Felt Trial Scenes

Spoiler

999E6BF9-86FA-4D27-BC07-002798AE377D.jpg

The most crucial part of the production was the question of how to add meanings to the film while making the trial scenes seem as real as possible. So the production team composed the scene after learning all the official trial records and interviews. Not only did they filmize the actual events that occurred during the trial, they enlivened the story by adding the episodes that the grandmothers actually faced before entering the court.

After perfectly recreating the trial scenes, the rest was up to the actors. They recreated the sad situation and the anger with their sincere acting on the set. After filming the scene of Bae Jung Gil’s (Kim Hae Sook) testimony, holding back the overwhelming emotions, she got so absorbed in her role to the point that she couldn’t stop crying for some time. The production team’s meticulous research to not miss a single detail from the actual trial combined with the actors’ determinations to capture the real victims’ pain, the movie was able to convey the heart-felt messages to the audience. I believe that these efforts are why Herstory is still remembered two years after its release.

• Like 1

https://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1005811493

[SBS Star] VIDEO: Kim Hee Ae Reveals Why She Is a Huge Fan of BTS

By Lee Narin  | May 29, 2020

132F7850-BB9D-4195-930B-D8389D862FFB.jpg

Actress Kim Hee Ae shared a reason behind her immense love and support for K-pop boy group BTS.

Several months ago, SBS' television show 'Han Bam' uploaded a video of Kim Hee Ae's interview on YouTube. At the beginning of the interview, the reporter gave Kim Hee Ae some personally-prepared gifts. One of the gifts that the reporter gave Kim Hee Ae was a BTS album. When Kim Hee Ae saw the BTS album, she immediately screamed in happiness. 

The reporter said, "I heard that you like BTS, so I thought this would be a nice gift for you. I also wanted to give this to you as ARMY (the name of BTS' fandom) myself." 

Then, 'Han Bam' producer suddenly asked, "Why do you like BTS, Hee Ae?" 

Kim Hee Ae answered with a smile, "Well, who doesn't? Are there actually people out there who don't like BTS? If you don't like BTS, you are probably weird." 

The reporter commented, "You know what? I'm actually going to BTS' concert soon. I would love to have you as my company, but I unfortunately don't have an extra ticket." 

Kim Hee Ae laughed and said, "Oh, I wouldn't be able to blend in with other fans there anyway. I like supporting them in other ways."

When the reporter asked if she listens to BTS' music a lot, Kim Hee Ae responded, "Yes, I do. I love their music, but I love watching them on shows too." 

She continued, "Just the other day, I happened to watch a video of them only a few days after they made debut. They were recording a music show, and had their names hugely written over their shirts." 

She added, "I find them super adorable. I have a son myself, and I think as if the members of BTS are my own sons as well. I look at them in the eyes of a mother. It's just so great to see them taking over the world, you know. I truly want them to keep doing well." 

(Credit= Big Hit Entertainment, '한밤 자료실' YouTube) 
(SBS Star)   

———————————————————————————————————————————————

On 5/9/2020 at 10:02 PM, Helena said:

Yonhap: Key film event Daejong Awards rescheduled for June 3 with smaller audience

The annual event was originally set for Feb. 25 at the Peace Hall of Kyunghee University in Seoul, but it was postponed in early February due to COVID-19 fears.

https://zapzee.net/2020/05/29/parasite-is-nominated-for-11-grand-bell-awards/
‘Parasite’ Is Nominated for 11 Grand Bell Awards

by krishkim 

A95F7ACD-3233-4810-B412-0E0B623EDE51.jpg

Credit: Grand Bell Awards

Attention is focusing on whether Parasite will continue its winning race at the Grand Bell Awards.

On May 29, Grand Bell Awards announced that Parasite was nominated for 11 categories at the 56th awards ceremony hosted by Lee Hwi Jae and Han Hye Jin at the Grand Walkerhill Theater Hall in Seoul on June 3.

At the awards ceremony, which will be held privately due to the COVID-19 pandemic, five works were nominated for Best Film – Parasite, Extreme Job, House of Hummingbird, Innocent Witness, and Forbidden Dream.

The candidates for Best Director are Kim Bo Ra of House of Hummingbird, Bong Joon Ho of Parasite, Lee Byung Hun of Extreme Job, Jang Jae Hyun of Svaha: The Sixth Finger, and Jung Ji Young of Black Money.

For Best Actor Award, Seol Kyung Gu from Birthday, Song Kang Ho from Parasite,Lee Byung Hun from Ashfall, Jung Woo Sung from Innocent Witness, and Han Suk Kyu from Forbidden Dream were nominated. Then, for Best Actress Award, Kim Hyung Gi from Innocent Witness, Kim Hee Ae from Moonlit Winter, Jeon Do Yeon from Birthday, Jung Yoo Mi from Kim Ji-Young, Born 1982, and Han Ji Min from Miss Baek were nominated.

Meanwhile, Ok Joo Hyun, Paul Kim, Park Bom, and 3YE will perform at the ceremony.

Source (1)

• Like 1

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/interview.jsp?blbdComCd=601019&seq=384&mode=INTERVIEW_VIEW

[Interview] MOONLIT WINTER director LIM Dae-hyung

By KIM Su-bin | Oct 29, 2019

“Unlike my last movie, this time I wanted to make a mother-daughter story”

E9819E05-208C-4C59-B60A-7632BF6E2956.jpg

This year’s Busan International Film Festival (BIFF) concluded with an urban panorama covered in snow. Selected as the festival’s closing film, LIM Dae-hyung’s Moonlit Winter indeed tells the story of a middle-aged woman who receives one day a strange letter and therefore heads for the place it was sent from, which offers beautiful views of snowy landscapes, along with her high-school daughter. After he addressed the tragicomedy of life with composure and humor in his debut feature Merry Christmas Mr. Mo (2017), the director is about to unveil to the public his sophomore feature effort, Moonlit Winter.

Your new film was chosen to close the Busan International Film Festival. Your attachment to the festival must be particularly strong, considering that both your feature projects have received support from the Asian Cinema Fund (production support fund for Moonlit Winter, post-production fund 2016 for Merry Christmas Mr. Mo) and you have even earned there a NETPAC award (in 2016 for Merry Christmas Mr. Mo).
Moonlit Winter being set as the closing film of the Busan International Film Festival was the last thing I would have expected. I think this is a really great honor. Without BIFF’s help, neither my previous film Merry Christmas Mr. Mo nor Moonlit Winter would have completed production with ease. BIFF is a festival that I appreciate as a spectator too. Every year, I look forward to the opportunity to be among the first to discover the films I wanted to discover by just going to Busan.

What was the starting point for Moonlit Winter?
My previous film, Merry Christmas Mr. Mo, was about a father and his son. I put some personal effort into not buying into the objectification of female characters or archetypical conventions by following them, but there was still something weighing on my mind. And that thing has made me uncomfortable ever since. That’s why I resolved that, if I ever got a chance to make another movie, I should face that uneasiness head-on, whatever the cost. This decision to turn my previous film on its head and therefore tell the story of a mother-daughter relationship can be regarded as the starting point for Moonlit Winter. After all, as a creator I didn’t want to turn a blind eye to our current zeitgeist.

176F9C68-7C2E-46DC-BA6F-20A04AFE05A4.jpg

The film follows the journey of a middle-aged woman well-adjusted to her role as mother as she sets off to meet her first love. In your initial pitch, you have stated that your intention was to “bring together a person with taste and personality, and a unique woman”, but I’m curious about what inspired you to pay attention to those we call “mothers”?
Yun-hee [editor’s note: the given name of the main character] is the false name my mother used to call herself back when she was dating. I listened to my mother’s stories from that time, and as I was searching through the photo albums and taking a look at the pictures, I was hit with a certain sensation. Instead of focusing on the myth of maternal instinct, I wanted to do nothing but tell the story of someone named Eun-hee. I didn’t want to create an archetypical-looking mother figure like the ones that are still perpetuated in media. You know, the traditional mother figure who makes sacrifices for her husband and children. I would have had trouble converting these thoughts into images were it not for KIM Hee-ae’s unique charisma and presence.

Which aspect did you focus on while working on the scenario?
It is a lot of pressure to tell a story about women when you are a man. Although I approached the issue cautiously, I strived not to miss the point. There was that constant worry that I might go off topic, but I believed that whatever the limits and even if there was room for improvement, I should willingly endure that discomfort. I asked women in my entourage – colleagues as well as acquaintances – a lot of questions, and I received in return various reviews and assistance that included criticism. The script went through a long process of revisions.

Merry Christmas Mr. Mo is a film with an impressive style. Was there any visual characteristic you wanted to accentuate in this movie?
While the proportion of static shots remains high, for this film I told myself, “let’s try to use a lot of slowly moving images”, and I think it suits this movie well. Cinematographer MOON Myoung-hwan was nice enough to discuss with me regularly from the pre-production stage all the way through. Anyone having watched my previous film may notice that the camera is a little bit more dynamic. And as a matter of fact, we worked hard with my editor PARK Se-young in the editing room to produce a rhythm through moments where the static and the moving collide into each other.

Spoiler

1FEDE17E-0878-4970-A3AD-E886D00F2DDD.jpg

Both movies feel like efforts to provide a new take of middle-aged actors. Could you tell us what led you to cast KIM Hee-ae and how was your collaboration?
It’s like I was considering middle age as possibly the most exciting years. Young people need to have more respect for the generations that have endured this mess of a world we live in. We will all reach that age. And there is even a time where we will be old, right? Working with KIM Hee-ae was something I could only imagine in my dreams. The real question is not why I cast KIM Hee-ae, but rather why she chose this film. KIM Hee-ae did me the honor of selecting this film based on the script only. Throughout this work, she was very attached to the values portrayed in the film, its message, and Yun-hee’s life in particular. That’s admirable. Were it not for KIM Hee-ae, this film couldn’t have been made.

What kind of stories or themes attract you?
I once read in some book on screenplay writing something that said, without going into details, “Good drama ultimately shows the struggle of characters to free themselves from an oppressive environment and become themselves”. I want to have this passage etched on my mind forever.

Is there any movie you would like to make?
I have been established several principles of mine. My movies should be inoffensive or beneficial to the world, have humor, and be gripping in terms of genre. This will not be an easy task to put this into practice. (laughs)

Spoiler

7F2CFEB3-844A-49FD-B271-B0C19AAAB8D0.jpg

Do you have any film currently in the stage of concept or pre-production?
I definitely want to try my hands one day at sci-fi. There must be some stories that are doable even without using an astronomical budget.

Moonlit Winter will hit Korean theaters soon after the closing of BIFF. What are your thoughts ahead of the theatrical release?
The fact that Moonlit Winter is a completed work and that it is about to be experience by the public hasn’t sunk in yet. I really think it’s like a miracle. While I was making this movie, I went through some gloomy days that were ridiculously unbearable. It might be my greed speaking, but it would be nice if this film resonated with the audience. This film now is about to shape its own fate, independently of my will, as it has done until now.
  • Like 2

^ thanks Poppie.

JTBC PLUS |  2020. 06. 04. 8:46 PM
'56th Baeksang Art Awards'' - a festival of stars

8906D419-AE2E-40DE-BB50-F396D155E9AF.jpg

The ''56th Baeksang Art Awards'' will promisingly create a brilliant night with the presence of famous names.

Stars who have been active in the fields of film, television, theater for the past 13 months will gather at the "56th Baeksang Arts Awards". This is expected to be a top-class awards ceremony with the participation of about 120 nominees including actors, directors, screenwriters, and producers. Regardless of the final results, all the names who promise to make the "Baeksang Arts Awards" this year shine will be the main characters of this significant event.

This year's ''Baeksang Arts Awards'' will take place without the participation of audiences due to the effects of Covid-19. In addition, the organization board also paid special attention to the prevention of epidemics, for example, adjusting the seats, creating open space, and distributing hand sanitizer for artists to ensure a safe and hygiene condition. In addition, when guests come to the event, they will be asked to fill out the medical information form, meanwhile, the organizers will also thoroughly conduct the body temperature test and instructions on wearing a mask for each person.

The "56th Baeksang Arts Awards" that honors artists in all categories of television, film, and theater will be held at Hall No. 7 of KINTEX, Ilsan, Gyeonggi and broadcast live on JTBC, JTBC2, JTBC4 at 4:50 pm (KST) June 5.

2FDBC1DE-BCF4-49FF-9945-619AC9A1258C.jpg

Spoiler

99D56BC5-1AC0-4BE4-9929-FF9BEB46CB41.jpg
3AB5F7CA-43A1-4A2D-A49E-00457777E29E.jpg

◇ Television category: artists' attendance rate reaches 97,5%, the highest rate ever

In the television category, 39/40 nominated artists will attend. This is the highest attendance rate ever. Except for Kim Heechul - the candidate of the Best Variety Performer who will not show up due to overlapped schedule, all are heading to KINTEX (Korea International Exhibition Center). There are many combinations that have attracted the attention of drama lovers during the past 1 year.

The main cast of "Crash Landing On You" - the drama which reached highest viewership ratings ever of tvN and became popular worldwide even after it was over - will all attend, from the couple Hyun Bin - Son Ye Jin to Seo Ji Hye, Yang Kyung Won, Kim Sun Young, Kim Young Min, etc. They are nominated with Best Drama Award along with many other categories and are aiming to capture all the prizes.

It is impossible to ignore "When the Camellia Blooms". Gong Hyo Jin, Kang Ha Neul, Oh Jung Se, Yeom Hye Ran, Son Dam Bi, Lee Jung Eun, Kim Kang Hoon will make viewers once again feel the echos of the drama "When the Camellia Blooms" aired in 2019. "Itaewon Class" (JTBC) is similar. From Park Seo Joon, Kim Da Mi, Yoo Jae Myung, Kwon Na Ra to Ahn Bo Hyun, all dream of the honor of winning the trophy in each person's position. Kim Hee Ae, Park Hae Joon, Han Seo Hee of "The World of the Married" - the work writing a history of the highest viewership rating of dramas of non-central television - will also sit side by side at the awards ceremony and contribute to relieving the regret of the audience after the drama ended.

Kim Hye Soo and Joo Ji Hoon of "Hyena", Nam Goong Min of "Hot Stove League", Lee Ji Eun of "Hotel Del Luna" will contribute to improving the quality of this awards ceremony with their participation. All 30 actors who are nominated for awards such as Best Actor/Actress, Best Supporting Actor/Actress, Best New Actor/Actress, etc. will attend the event.

Entertainment artists will also enthusiastically join the award. On the list of nominees, there are names such as Yoo Jae Suk - the artist who created a supporting character called "Yoo San Seul", Kim Seong Joo - who stirred Korea up with trot music through the show "Mr. Trot", Moon Se Yoon - an active artist in "1 Night 2 Days (season 4)" - and Jang Sung Kyu - the person who is actively appearing in the program "Movie Room" and many other entertainment shows. Some female entertainers also arranged their busy time to attend this awards event. Despite being busy with other the schedule during the awards ceremony period, Kim Min Kyung, Park Na Rae, Ahn Young Mi, Jang Do Yeon, and Hong Hyun Hee all decided to attend the ceremony with gratitude and hope to achieve the award as well as congratulating their colleagues.

C6578C8C-DB2C-4C56-AB09-B316948ED308.jpg

Spoiler

A61DFC36-7749-4183-B3DC-0AA053B4E6A1.jpg

◇ Film category: meaningful get-together amid harsh time

In the time when the entire film industry was in a period of stagnation, the filmmakers decided to take the next difficult step with the spirit of "joining forces together". This year, the Baeksang Arts Awards is expected to be a rare gathering place for people in the film industry from the manufacturers, directors, scriptwriters, producers - those who build the context for the film - to the actors who are bright candidates.

The production crew of the most-nominated work, ''Parasite'', was mobilized to attend the event. With the lead of Barunson E&A representative Kwak Shin Ae, writer Han Jin Won, actors including Jo Yeo Jung, Park So Dam, Lee Jung Eun, Park Myung Hoon, and Jang Hye Jin quickly confirmed their participation. In fact, this award ceremony is the last stage to gather the most members of ''Parasite'' filming crew after 1 year around the world. The crew is expected to have a complete conclusion after a great journey with ''Parasite'' at the ''Baeksang Art Awards''.

The production crews of "The Man Standing Next", "House of Hummingbird", "Exit", "Moonlit Winter", "Lucky Chan Sil" will all be present and show their solid teamwork. "The Man Standing Next" crew will feature CEO Kim Won Kook of Hive Media Corp., director Woo Min Ho, makeup managers Lee Hee Joon - Kim Seo Hee, and actor Lee Byung Hun, who has been named at the "Baeksang Art Awards" for 2 consecutive years with the Best Actor award when winning in the Television category in 2019 and is nominated in the Film category this year. In the meantime, "House of Hummingbird" crew will include producer Zoe Sua Cho, director Kim Bo Ra, actors Kim Sae Byuk and Park Ji Hoo.

The names making the movie "Exit'' such as director Kang Hye Jung, director Lee Sang Geun, actor Jo Jung Suk, and martial arts director Yoon Jin Yool promise to shine at the awards ceremony with their presence. Kim Hee Ae - the artist who was nominated simultaneously for the Best Actress Award in both television and film categories - along with actress Kim So Hye and director Lim Dae Hyung of the movie "Moonlit Winter" will send their greetings to the audience together. In addition, Kim Young Min - the artist nominated for Best Supporting Actor Award in the category of television and film - along with director Kim Cho Hee and actress Kang Mal Geum of "Lucky Chan Sil" will also participate in the "Baeksang Arts Awards" this year.

In addition, actress Jeon Do Yeon and director Lee Jong Eon of ''Birthday'', Kim So Jin and Kim Hye Joon of ''Another Child'', along with Lee Je Hoon and Park Hae Soo of ''Time to Hunt'' - the first Netflix work to enter the Baeksang nominee list - were arranged to sit side by side. Representatives Kwak Hee Jin and Park Ji Young of ''Spring Wind Film'' and director Kim Do Young stepped onto the stage of the ''Baeksang Arts Awards'' for the first time as the producer and director of the first commercial film ''Kim Ji-young, Born 1982''. Female lead Jung Yoo Mi is temporarily absent due to a busy filming schedule.

Along with that, the awards ceremony has become more meaningful as it featured the participation of representatives from ''The Divine Move 2: The Wrathful'', Lee Kwang Soo from ''Inseparable Bros'', Ahn Ji Ho from ''A Boy and Sungreen'', Jung Hae In from ''Tune in for Love'', director Jung Ji Young from ''Black Money'', director Kang Sang Woo from ''Kim-Gun'', filming director Kim Young Ho of ''Battle of Fengwudong'', etc.

Spoiler

685C1FB8-EFD4-4F92-B87D-F81F97394C3E.jpg

◇ Theater Category: Growth and development

Compared to last year, the scale of the theater category has been expanded and participation rates have also increased. This proves that the theater actors pay much attention to the "Baeksang Arts Awards".

Regarding the new award, Baeksang Theater, two directors Park Hae Sung and Sun Myung Gyun of "Sputnik", director Bae Yo Seob and actor Gong Joon of "Human Fuga", director Shin Yoo Chung of "Incendies" will attend and bring home the winning trophy. Candidates for the Young Theater Awards also announced their attendance, including director Kang Hoon Goo of "Really, Really the Last Japanese Soldier", director Song Yi Won of "Body And Land Are Just One", director Yoon Hye Sook of " We Arrived In This City Together" and director Shin Jae (0set Project) of "Act on the Anti-Discrimination Against and Remedies for Love and Friendship".

In addition, all the nominees of the Best Actor - Actress Award will be present at the "Baeksang Arts Awards". The Best Actor Award opened up a competition among Kim Won Young of "Act on the Anti-Discrimination Against and Remedies for Love and Friendship", Baek Suk Gwang of "Wife", and Lim Young Joon of "To You". In particular, the Best Actress Award witnessed the confrontation among Kim Shin Rok of "Nokcheon Has Fields of richard simmons", Kim Jung of "Rotterdam", Lee Ri of "National Highway 7", Lee Joo Young of "Incendies" and Lee Ji Hyun of "This Is The Last".

Reporter Kim Jin Suk, Jo Yeon Kyung

• Like 1

Source: http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=23794394

A2F862E6-C316-48FA-8071-3B78EFB98D29.jpg

Spoiler

6B7D2648-100A-4B1D-AFE4-731E63B614BC.jpg

4C0DBD06-2133-497D-AA35-F9984B72D6F2.jpg

0CA53DBD-C882-4760-95AF-94AD706BD9E2.jpg

B3F14DBB-91C2-4648-9A3A-874BA069231A.jpg

6ECC1586-89A0-4B48-A33C-D579F2A97D9D.jpg

8FAF886D-1837-4D8B-B698-B82033B27B64.jpg

Best TV Actress

9B3A17CD-932E-47DF-B6BB-566768C2B614.jpg

Spoiler

88D8B61F-6F8E-4345-8687-0033926F429C.jpg

6DC6597E-1EB5-48BE-BE3F-9704D311E21D.jpg

4FAC0BDF-1B8E-4497-A37A-78EC6572A1B6.jpg

ABA0E9E2-03EC-4EBA-8C66-AA3B5A67A1DF.jpg

184E2406-5B85-4E13-8707-FAD19BF8FFEE.jpg

FB315B11-7716-45BC-8001-07B388351D26.jpg

49E61197-DF8F-4083-9806-75EDDC50272B.jpg

C9941F38-ED37-461E-BFF8-AA9826089D02.jpg

72E23820-FE14-4570-A5E1-F6EE02434202.jpg

6879BC2E-EEFA-4C9D-B87F-4B92330BC2D4.jpg

A457DE57-448D-4567-890E-8F5DB71CB238.jpg

D0D15DDB-FFCA-4F18-A63A-2EA95676BE93.jpg

A573CE61-ACB2-4F00-8AD9-FA36E35AC80F.jpg

98510DE8-291D-4D56-98DE-E26B68F6F284.jpg

F05F7E78-B48C-4435-9B69-E7603B4FBBC4.jpg

4031A74D-572F-418A-AD7E-C7044A727E8E.jpg

CA9AC6DB-8110-4378-93CF-8C73FE73116C.jpg

046586DA-2325-4ADD-B6EF-0A83A7DF5898.jpg

C9088DD2-C3B1-46CC-B1A9-26F351988B4A.jpg

F56328A8-B99B-4EF8-A500-DACEB7E9D3BC.jpg

Best Director: Mo Wan-il (The World of the Married)

79F84295-9AFD-4061-8FBD-8041F4A7B7CB.jpg

Spoiler

ECA2D489-D614-491A-AEC3-1812F181CA1F.jpg

F86C9245-05D9-44D4-BD7A-D119D9512C61.jpg

58E3D17D-D695-4019-B120-2039895AD4AA.jpg

C981B263-F831-4FC0-8AFB-766E697C02FF.jpg

01B6D542-F63F-42A2-9F90-0491EBF2F15A.jpg

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200605009400315
‘Parasite' director Bong Joon-ho wins grand prize at Baeksang Awards

SEOUL, June 5 (Yonhap) -- Bong Joon-ho, writer-director of Oscar-winning South Korean film "Parasite," won the grand prize in the film category at this year's Baeksang Arts Awards on Friday.

Bong claimed the top prize for films at the prestigious entertainment awards show held at KINTEX exhibition hall in Goyang, north of Seoul. "When the Camellia Blooms," a thriller-comedy series that ran on KBS 2TV last year, took the grand prize in the TV category.

Kwak Sin-ae, "Parasite" producer and head of the film's production company, Barunson E&M, accepted the award on behalf of Bong, who was not present at the event.

"It's an honor to wrap up the long voyage of 'Parasite' at the Baeksang Arts Awards. I'm quietly writing a new script," Kwak read on behalf of Bong in a prepared acceptance speech.

"Today we're here at an award show with no audience. But I hope we can soon meet again in a packed cinema," the director said.

"Parasite," a satirical thriller on the theme of wealth inequality, won four Oscars, including best picture, at this year's Academy Awards. It has collected over 50 awards from global film festivals.

Other winners in the film category included Lee Byung-hun, taking home the award for best actor in a film, for his role in "The Man Standing Next," screenwriter Lee Sang-geun for "Exit" and Kim Do-young, who won best new director for "Kim Ji-young: Born 1982."

For TV, Kang Ha-neul and Kim Hee-ae won best actor and actress for their works in "When the Camellia Blooms" and "The World of the Married," respectively.

Launched in 1965, the Baeksang Arts Awards is one of the most prestigious entertainment award shows in South Korea and encompasses the fields TV, film and theater.

odissy@yna.co.kr
(END)

• Like 1

Heartfelt Congratulations to 56th Baeksang Awards Best TV Actress winner:Kim Hee Ae

Outstanding portrayal of your role in The World of Married!! Well deserved win and exceptional speech there! 

• Like 1

Kim Hee Ae is now the most awardee for TV Best Actress at Baeksang's with Jung Hye Sun (4 wins).

Next step : come closer to Kim Hye Ja's 4 Daesangs.

But Kim Hee Ae Unni has time because she wants to act till 80 years old :D

• Like 1

OSEN | 2020. 06. 05. 8:26 AM

Owners of Best Actor/Actress Awards at "2020 Baeksang Arts Awards" unveiled

Spoiler

C59EBF72-D78A-4DCE-8D10-B945C1D935C6.jpg

The "2020 Baeksang Arts Awards" for the Best Actor/Actress, as known as "Flowers of Baeksang Arts Grand Prize", went to Kang Ha Neul, Kim Hee Ae, Lee Byung Hun, and Jeon Do Yeon.

At the "56th Baeksang Arts Awards" taking place in Kintex, Goyang City, Gyeonggi Province on the afternoon of June 5, Kang Ha Neul and Kim Hee Ae received the Best Actor and Best Actress awards in the television category.

At the awards ceremony, actor Kang Ha Neul of the drama "When the Camellia Blooms" (KBS 2TV) said, "I have nothing better than the seniors nominated along with me, and I feel extremely sorry when one person who has not had much experience like me is here to receive an award that senior Lee Byung Hyun - who has 30-year experience - received last year. Sincerely thank everyone for helping me to gain this award even though I have nothing outstanding. Thank the staff of 'When the Camellia Blooms' and 'Dong Baek' Gong Hyo Jin. The prize makes the mood become happy, but I think it will bring things that shake my heart and spirit. I will try to manage my mind and heart well without thinking of anything else just because I have been given this award. Before I become an excellent actor, I will be a good person."

EE049F81-D790-4242-84E1-C09690A75AA0.jpg

Having received the Best Actress Award for the TV category for her performance in the drama "The World of the Married" (JTBC), Kim Hee Ae thanked her colleagues, saying, "Initially, when I saw the original work of 'The World of the Married', I found the script so unconventional and bold that I was worried whether it would be successful in Korea or not. Nonetheless, on the contrary, I was surprised that the drama earned so much love and support that we were afraid we couldn't live up to everyone's expectations. Because I'm a fan of candidates Kim Hye Soo, Son Ye Jin, Gong Hyo Jin, and Lee Ji Eun, I still feel happy to be able to see you all even though I didn't win any awards. I hope we'll congratulate each other." In addition, Kim Hee Ae also mentioned the production team of the drama "The World of the Married", saying, "The answers were all written in the script. The content was written very sincerely so I could act comfortably. If it hadn't been for the staff who were always supporting me, I don't think I could have completed the role."

The actress also shared this honor with co-star Park Hae Joon in the drama ''The World of the Married'', "In the drama, he failed as a husband but as an actor, he is a great husband. I hope he will get this award too."

The ''56th Baeksang Arts Awards'' (2020) for Best Actor/ Actress in the film category were awarded to Lee Byung Hun and Jeon Do Yeon. Regarding the movie ''The Man Standing Next'', Lee Byung Hun stated, "Going to the filming set every day, I feel both nervous and happy when seeing the energy and individuality of each actor were harmonized. So I think this award should be given to all actors who worked together excellently." The actor then expressed his special love for his family and audiences, "I would like to thank my wife Lee Min Jung and son Joon Woo - who helped to set my mind at rest and focus on acting. I hope everyone will always be healthy and we can see each other again on the big screen."

Actress Jeon Do Yeon of the movie "Birthday" said, "I was really surprised. I came here to congratulate my colleagues who get the prize, but I did not think I would receive an award. Although 'Birthday' was filmed for a long time, I still feel its newness. This is an unavoidable work. I would like to thank all the staff members and actors for unanimously working together on the movie. Besides, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to the viewers. I will come back to the big screen soon to meet everyone with a great movie."

OSEN = Reporter Lee Seung Hun /seunghun@osen.co.kr
Photo = Screenshot of JTBC's "56th Baeksang Arts Awards 2020"

————

https://zapzee.net/2020/06/06/lee-kwang-soo-yoo-jae-suks-heartfelt-and-amusing-acceptance-speeches-captivate-the-fans/

Lee Kwang Soo & Yoo Jae Suk’s Heartfelt and Amusing Acceptance Speeches Captivate the Fans

by krishkim 

In the 56th Baeksang Arts Awards, Lee Kwang Soo and Yoo Jae Suk won the Best Supporting Actor and Best Male Variety Star Awards. And their acceptance speeches are drawing attention.

On June 5, Lee Kwang Soo wong the Best Supporting Actor in the film category for his role in Inseparable Bros. He got on stage and started his acceptance speech in a trembling voice. He said, “I really didn’t expect it. You all must be surprised, too.”

“It was an honor just to be nominated together, and I sincerely thank you and would like to apologize. Though I am lacking, thank you so much for giving me such a great award,” and once again added, “I’m sorry.”

His heartfelt speech has touched the fans and viewers. They poured out their cheers and supports for Lee Kwang Soo, saying, “You deserved it, bro,” “Why are you apologizing? You were great,” and “This is why I love Lee Kwang Soo.”

Later, Yoo Jae Suk was awarded the Best Male Variety Star Award for his performances in How Do You Play?. He got on the stage with a puzzled look and first to give credit to viewers and the production team.

He then thanked his family. He said, “I’m the father of two. My second child can’t say dad yet, so she calls both my wife and me ‘mom.’ So I would like to tell my daughter, ‘Mom won the award!’”

“There are so many welcome faces here,” he continued. He called out Kim Hee Ae and Kim Hye Soo, whom he is close to, to greet them and finally added, “Jeon Do Yeon and I are from the same class (of college). It’s been a while, so I went up to her earlier and said, ‘Do Yeon, it’s been so long.’ And she said, ‘Me too, sir.’”

He added, “I would like to tell Do Yeon this. Do Yeon, we used to talk down to each other.” Jeon Do Yeon, who was shown on the screen, responded with laughter.

His witty and amusing acceptance speech has captivated the viewers. They are responding, “This is exactly the reason why he won the award,” “Look at Jeon Do Yeon laughing,” and “Yoo Jae Suk is the best.”

https://tv.naver.com/v/14147401

https://tv.naver.com/v/14147744

Source (1, 2)

————

[images from Osen]
D00B21EB-5BC6-4849-90AD-A9BB3E2BFE57.jpg

5126CFFE-39F3-4119-9243-6AA748648258.jpg

• Like 1

JTBC PLUS | 2020. 06. 05. 9:14 PM

"Baeksang Awards" announces fair evaluation results, shakes off prejudice and genre discrimination

2B091E22-D3CC-4C4D-A763-5624C4BEE2E7.jpg
D643B4B3-D5A4-47A9-AE24-38F84224A962.jpg
C397A8E4-51ED-4472-AAE8-C2F9F1381A11.jpg

The "Baeksang Arts Awards" ceremony this year named the artists and productions that brought comfort and encouragement to the daily life of Korean audiences.

The result of the "56th Baeksang Arts Awards" that took place at Hall No.7, Korea International Exhibition Center, Ilsan District, Gyeonggi on June 5 reflected the flow of popular culture.

The Daesang award in the TV category was given to "When the Camellia Blooms" (KBS 2TV) - the mini-series that had the highest viewership rating on terrestrial TV in 2019. Since after the drama "Forest", it has been 2 years that a TV series became the owner of the Daesang award. In addition, "Parasite" of director Bong Joon Ho won this award in the film category. After sweeping 4 awards at this year's "Oscars", including Best Director and Best Picture, director Bong continues to name himself in the top position of the "Baeksang Arts Awards".

The competition for the Best Actor/Actress awards took place intensely and fairly. In the Television category, these precious prizes were respectively given to Kang Ha Neul - the actor playing police officer Kang Yong Sik in "When the Camellia Blooms" - and actress Kim Hee Ae with the role of Ji Seon Woo - the wife struggling with her betrayed husband in "The World of the Married" (JTBC) that had the highest viewership rating on the satellite television platform. In the Film category, Lee Byung Hun with "The Man Standing Next" and Jeon Do Yeon, who brought the story of passionate maternal love in "Birthday", were awarded these prizes.

The Best Supporting Actor award is also a close race. Finally, the victory went to Oh Jeong Se - the actor who led two top-notch dramas in the past year, "When the Camellia Blooms" and "Stove League" - and Kim Sun Young - the actress who created two deep and completely opposite characters in the dramas "When the Camellia Blooms" and "Crash Landing on You". In the movie category, the Best Supporting Actor award went to Lee Kwang Soo in "Inseparable Bros" and Kim Sae Byuk in "House of Hummingbird".

The Best New Actor/Actress Award that one can only receive once in a lifetime went to Ahn Hyo Seop, Kim Da Mi, Park Myung Hoon, and Kang Mal Geum. After taking the lead role in the drama "Abyss", Ahn Hyo Seop continued to expand his acting spectrum through "Dr. Romantic 2". Besides, actress Kim Da Mi known as "rookie monster" wrestling in the film industry first starred in the drama "Itaewon Class" and received many positive reviews. The Best New Award of the film category is also novel. Park Myung Hoon, who was also nominated for Best Supporting Actor, received the Best New prize, and Kang Mal Geum of "Lucky Chan Sil" was also named for this meaningful award. Park Myung Hoon and Kang Mal Geum are 45 and 41 years old, respectively, so they set an interesting record when becoming the owners of the "U50 Best New Actor/Actress Award".

The trophy in the variety category went to top "entertainment gods". Yoo Jae Suk - who has been busy for the past with supporting roles like "Yoo San Seul" and "Lasek" - received the award after a long time of waiting. Park Na Rae - who once shone with the Daesang award at the "2019 MBC Entertainment Awards" - stood on the stage to receive the award and shed tears in the congratulations of colleagues.

In the Television category, the Best Film went to the baseball-themed drama "Stove League" which opened a new way to office dramas, and the Best Film of the Film category belonged to "Parasite". Along with that, the Best Entertainment Program was awarded to "Mr.Trot" (TV Chosun) - where caused the trot sensation all over Korea, and the Best Educational Show named the well-received educational show "Giant Peng TV" (EBS) with a friendly approach to the public through character Pengsoo.

Theater category, which garnered the attention of the art industry with its return in 2019 after 18 years of absence, has been extended further in 2020. The first owner of Baeksang Play is director Shin Yoo Chung with the play "Scorched Love". After a fierce competition, Best Actress went to Kim Jung of the play "Rotterdam" and Best Actor was awarded to Baek Suk Gwang of "Wife". Meanwhile, Best Short Play belonged to 0set Project (screenwriter-director Shin Jae) that created plays like "Act on the Anti-Discrimination Against and Remedies for Love and Friendship", "Learner" (rough translation), "Viewing Mode" (rough translation), etc.

The head of the appraisal board of the TV category Kim Ok Young said, "Baeksang Arts Award is a mass culture history presented in the form of videos. When looking back at the award records in the past after a long time, the public will have a glance at the popular culture history at that time. Baeksang awards are thoroughly considered and appraised to reflect all trends, atmosphere, and the flow of times." Director Lee Myung Se - the head of the appraisal board of the Film category - explained, "We have looked at all aspects including the theme and scale of films, judged them fairly and carefully selected to avoid reverse discrimination. We have reached the results after meticulous consideration so that no candidates were marginalized." Besides, the judges of the Theater category also shared, "This time, we have seriously evaluated all social issues like war, false consciousness, sexual minorities, etc. through such works as 'Scorched Love', 'Nokcheon Has Fields of richard simmons', 'Wife', etc."

Reporter Kim Jin Seok superjs@joongang.co.kr

———

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2020/06/07/entertainment/television/56th-Baeksang-Arts-Awards-JTBC-Ilgan-Sports/20200607153300274.html

'Parasite' continues winning streak at 56th Baeksang Awards

June 7, 2020

Spoiler

05AE84B9-3E15-4DBE-BA85-7BA14B265FA5.jpg

Winners of the 56th Baeksang Arts Awards from the television, film and theater divisions pose for the camera with their trophies on Friday at Kintex in Goyang, Gyeonggi. [ILGAN SPORTS]

Director Bong Joon-ho’s “Parasite” and the KBS drama series “When the Camellia Blooms” were the stars of the night at this year’s Baeksang Arts Awards.    

The 56th Baeksang Arts Awards, organized by JTBC Plus and Ilgan Sports, took place on Friday evening at Kintex in Goyang, Gyeonggi and was aired live on JTBC. The annual ceremony awarded content released or aired on public broadcasters, cable channels and OTT (Over-The-Top) platforms from April 1, 2019 to April 30, 2020.  

The Grand Prize from the television division went to “When the Camellia Blooms.” 

Spoiler

25634028-7BA9-409A-9181-5E4761B8885A.jpg

Vice president of the Pan Entertainment drama production company, left, and producer Yoon Jae-hyuk hold out their trophy in victory after their drama series "When the Camellia Blooms" received the Grand Prize.

“I would like to express the deepest gratitude to our viewers,” producer Yoon Jae-hyuk said. “I would also like to thank our writer Im Sang-chun who created this beautiful world ‘When the Camellia Blooms.’ And those who filled up this world — director Cha Young-hun, actors Kong Hyo-jin, Kang Ha-neul, and rest of our actors and staff. Our story was not about those in the spotlight. They seem ordinary, but we wanted to show that each of them were doing their best to lead their own precious lives. Right now Korea is going through a tough period, but I hope that like our series, a miracle could happen to all of us who are living every day to our fullest.”  

The series also scooped the awards for Best Screenplay, Best Actor for Kang Ha-neul and Best Supporting Actor for Oh Jung-se.    

“Parasite” wrapped up its year-long showering of accolades with its name being called up as the Grand Prize for the film division. On behalf of director Bong Joon-ho, the cast and staff of “Parasite” took to the stage to accept the award. 

Spoiler

39970364-753E-4E96-9133-21BE4B4762A0.jpg

Producer Kwak Sin-ae and the team of "Parasite" filled up the stage to receive the Grand Prize for their film "Parasite" on behalf of director Bong Joon-ho. [ILGAN SPORTS]

“It’s a great honor to end the journey that began at Cannes last May at the Baeksang Awards,” producer Kwak Sin-ae said. “It has been a passionate year. For our team, we’ve been together for two and a half years, and overall, it has taken seven years to complete this film that began in 2013. Films will continue [despite the coronavirus pandemic]. The day will come soon when we can all meet in the theaters packed with audiences.”   

The film also received Best Film and Best New Actor for Park Myung-hoon.

SBS drama series “Hot Stove League” landed the award of Best Drama, and the megahit JTBC drama series “The World of the Married” took two awards — Best Actress for Kim Hee-ae and Best Director for director Mo Wan-il.

Another popular drama series, tvN’s “Crash Landing on You” received three awards: Best Supporting Actress for Kim Sun-young, Bazaar Fashion Icon Award for actor Seo Ji-hye, and TikTok Popularity Awards for actors Hyun Bin and Son Ye-jin. The latter is a fan-based award voted on by video application TikTok users around the globe.    

For variety shows, entertainers Yoo Jae-suk and Park Na-rae won Best Variety Performer awards for MBC’s “Hangout With You” and “I Live Alone” respectively.    

The Best Variety Show award went to TV Chosun’s “Mr. Trot” and Best Educational Show went to EBS’s “Giant Peng TV."  

For the rest of the film division, Best Actor and Best Actress awards respectively went to Lee Byung-hun and Jeon Do-yeon from “The Man Standing Next” and “Birthday.” Director Kim Bo-ra was given Best Director for her film “House of Hummingbird” and director Kim Do-young received Best New Director award for her film “Kim Ji- young, Born 1982.” Director Lee Sang-geun received Best Screenplay for his film “Exit.”    

From this year, a theater division was established. Director Shin Yoo-chung became the first winner of the Baeksang Play Award for his play “Incendies,” adapted from 2003 production by Wajdi Mouawad. The story follows the journey of twins Jeanne and Simon on a mission given by their mother Nawal on her deathbed. It covers social issues related to war, refugees and women.    

Best Actor and Best Actress were respectively given to Baek Seok-kwang from “Wife” and Kim Jung from “Rotterdam.”    

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, this year’s ceremony was held without an audience. For the third consecutive year, it was hosted by comedian Shin Dong-yup and actors Park Bo-gum and Suzy.    

BY LEE JAE-LIM   [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 1

METRO.STYLE

Everything You Need To Know About Kim Hee-Ae's Winning Red Carpet Look At Baeksang Awards

Our favorite K-actress schools us on how to choose the perfect red carpet dress and how to achieve that divine glow at 54.

Carla Buyo

Outstanding at 54, Kim Hee-ae is the woman we all aspire to be. Her Best Actress win at the 56th Baeksang Awards is a triumph worth celebrating. The South Korean actress proves that having range is utmost importance when it comes to creating wise fashion choices and career stability above everything else. Her role as Ji Sun-woo at the famed The World Of The Married banners so many formidable women amidst various familial and societal challenges. This among many of her ground-breaking roles are one of the reasons why we fell in love with her ambiguity. 

2b3b7609-0b68-4815-b79a-212eb24270e0_b-k

Last night at the 56th Baeksang Awards, Kim Hee-ae showed the same staggering excellence both at the red carpet and on stage. She came through with an Alexander McQueen gown from the Pre-Fall 2020 collection that features a ballet pink hue and a dramatic cape to entirely seal the deal. She accessorizes with larger than life jewels from Cartier's Paris Nouvelle Vague Collection to match the gown's precious neckline. We would love to talk more about this look but the photos from the awards show will do justice to the entire look.

https://metro.style/fashion/metrostylewatch/kim-hee-ae-at-the-56th-baeksang-awards/25518

• Like 1

https://zapzee.net/2020/06/08/how-were-the-winners-of-baeksang-arts-awards-selected/

How Were the Winners of Baeksang Arts Awards Selected?

by krishkim 

95676649-8F61-4967-B236-95F4EB031572.jpg

Credit: Baeksang Arts Award

This year’s Baeksang Arts Awards was particularly a close race. The moment when the winners were announced didn’t come easily. The committee underwent several rounds of discussions and held a vote on the very day of the ceremony.

In the film category, the Grand Prize and the Best Film Award were given to Parasiteand director Bong Joon Ho after competing in good faith. Although the results that Parasite received over the past year have been mesmerizing, they focused more on the fact that the challenges and experiences of director Bong Joon Ho since his debut flourished through Parasite. In the end, the Grand Prize went to director Bong Joon Ho, and Parasite was awarded the Best Film Award.

7F433D11-85C3-4DA2-A832-052F8737AFDF.jpg

Credit: SHOWBOX, CJ Entertainment, ATNINE FILM

Lee Byung Hun and Jeon Do Yeon won the Best Actor and Best Actress Awards. Lee Byung Hun (The Man Standing Next) competed with Song Kang Ho (Parasite), while Jeon Do Yeon (Birthday) competed with Kim Hee Ae (Moonlit Winter) and Kim So Jin (Another Child) and won by one vote. Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress Awards, which went to Lee Kwang Soo (Inseperable Bros) and Kim Sae Byuk (House of Hummingbird), is the only unanimous approval among all the acting awards. Park Myung Hoon (Parasite) was selected as the winner of the Best New Actor Award after competing Park Hae Soo (Time to Hunt).

The TV category was as hot as the film category. Until the day of the ceremony, When the Camellia Blooms, Mr. Trot, and Kim Hee Ae competed over the Grand Prize. In the midst of the competition, When the Camellia Blooms was chosen as the winner unanimously. The Best Drama Award went to Hot Stove League.

BE7F2A46-3020-42D8-907F-E11DEDF88B4B.jpg

Credit: SBS, KBS, JTBC

The Best Actor Award was so fierce that it was said, “no complaints, no matter who wins.” Kang Ha Neul (When the Camellia Blooms) and Nam Goong Min (Hot Stove League) competed for three rounds of evaluation. Eventually, the award went to Kang Ha Neul. The Best Actress Award began as a three-way competition among Kim Hee Ae (The World of the Married), Gong Hyo Jin (When the Camellia Blooms), and Kim Hye Soo (Hyena), and was later narrowed down to Kim Hee Ae and Gong Hyo Jin. In the end, the award was given to Kim Hee Ae. Best New Actor Award was a competition between Ahn Hyo Seop (Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim 2) and Kim Kang Hoon (When the Camellia Blooms), whereas the Best New Actress Award was a showdown between Kim Dami (Itaewon Class) and Jeon Mi Do (Hospital Playlist).

Winners Of 56th Baeksang Arts Awards

Film categories:

Grand Prize: Bong Joon Ho (Parasite)

Best Film: Parasite

Best Director: Kim Bo Ra (House of Hummingbird)

Best New Director: Kim Do Young (Kim Ji Young, Born 1982)

Best Actor: Lee Byung Hun (The Man Standing Next)

Best Actress: Jeon Do Yeon (Birthday)

Best Supporting Actor: Lee Kwang Soo (Inseperable Bros)

Best Supporting Actress: Kim Sae Byuk (House of Hummingbird)

Best New Actor: Park Myung Hoon (Parasite)

Best New Actress: Kang Mal Geum (Lucky Chan-Sil)

Television categories:

Grand Prize: When the Camellia Blooms

Best Drama: Hot Stove League

Best Director: Mo Wan Il (The World of the Married)

Best Screenplay: Lim Sang Chun (When the Camellia Blooms)

Best Actor: Kang Ha Neul (When the Camellia Blooms)

Best Actress: Kim Hee Ae (The World of the Married)

Best Supporting Actor: Oh Jung Se (When the Camellia Blooms)

Best Supporting Actress: Kim Sun Young (Crash Landing on You)

Best New Actor: Ahn Hyo Seop (Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim 2)

Best New Actress: Kim Da Mi (Itaewon Class)

Source (1, 2)

• Like 1

The “56th Baeksang Arts Awards” Judges Share How They Came To Select These 5 Winners

On June 5, 2020, the prestigious 56th Baeksang Arts Awards held its no-audience ceremony — celebrating another successful year of Korean movies and dramas. The greatest hits from April 2019 to April 2020 took home the well-deserved trophies. In case you’re curious though, here are the details on how the Baeksang Arts Awards judges selected some of the winners.

1. Daesang (Grand Prize)

While the daesang candidates have not been revealed prior to the ceremony, the judges discussed the possibilities among When The Camellia BloomsMister Trot, and actress Kim Hee Ae from The World of The Married. When the actual voting process began, however, the judges in general showed a strong inclination toward When The Camellia Blooms. They commented, “Television nowadays must provide the viewers with both entertainment and social insight. When The Camellia Blooms did exactly that.” According to the judges, When The Camellia Blooms taught the viewers that the average citizens can come together and make big changes — which is certainly the most appropriate message that the society needs at the moment. The judges thought highly of the fact that When The Camellia Blooms emphasized “We’re all protagonists in our own ways” and thus, inspired them to throne it the Baeksang grand prize.

2. Best Actor

The judges shared that the votes remained split between actor Kang Ha Neul of When The Camellia Blooms and acter Namkoong Min of Hot Stove League until the final round. Ultimately, Kang Ha Neul had the honor of winning Best Actor — for his most believable portrayal of the character Hwang Yong Shik. The judges believed Kang Ha Neul boasted an excellent spectrum of emotions on the show, which is rare from the relatively young group of actors in their 30s.

3. Best Supporting Actor

Actor Oh Jung Se of both When The Camellia Blooms and Stove League won Best Supporting Actor with an unanimous vote from the judges. They commented, “Oh Jung Se successfully played two entirely different characters in his hit dramas — all the while making the viewers believe they are completely separate people. His ability to do this is simply irreplaceable.

4. Best Actress
The competition for the Best Actress award had been the fiercest yet. According to the judges, The World of The Married‘s Kim Hee Ae went head to head against When The Camellia Blooms‘s Gong Hyo Jin and Hyena‘s Kim Hye Soo. Eventually the judges came to agree that Kim Hee Ae’s deep understanding of — and the multi-dimensional portrayal of — the shattered-and-miserable Dr. Ji Sun Woo deserved to be awarded

5. Best New Actress

Actress Kim Da Mi happily took home this once-in-a-lifetime award — for her funky-fresh character in the webtoon-based K-Drama Itaewon Class. Judges commented that she and Hospital Playlist actress Jeon Mi Do had the judges bouncing back and forth until the very last minute. They revealed, “It was a really close call. Jeon Mi Do actually lost by a single vote.” In the end, Kim Da Mi’s rising and trendsetting presence in the K-Drama world deemed her more worthy of the super rookie title.

https://www.koreaboo.com/lists/56th-baeksang-arts-awards-judges-share-select-5-winners-details/?fbclid=IwAR085-rsFAL2BfWRyciUR2Eur_D7fjPknyThImheMxg5E7EmS4o8SL6BXsw

• Like 1

OSEN | 2020. 06. 09.

Kim Hee Ae flaunts her ageless beauty in chic dress

C59596EC-967D-4894-95CD-46AE724AD24B.jpg

Actress Kim Hee Ae attracts attention when donning a dress that makes it hard to guess her age.

On June 9, Kim Hee Ae posted a photo on SNS captioned, "Today is a healthy day".

The photo captures the image of Kim Hee Ae wearing a long black dress and looking back.

The shoulder-length wavy hair and the sparkling heels multiplied her grace.

On the other hand, Kim Hee Ae won the Best Actress award for Television category at the "56th Baeksang Arts Awards" with "The World of the Married".

"The World of the Married" recorded the highest viewership rating of 28.4% (provided by Nielsen Korea) nationwide.

OSEN = Reporter Kim Bo Ra / purplish@osen.co.kr
Photo = Kim Hee Ae's SNS 

——————

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200609007100315

Novice TV directors dazzle S. Korean entertainment scene

SEOUL, June 9 (Yonhap) -- JTBC's "The World of the Married" and SBS' "Hot Stove League" are some of the biggest hit TV series in the first half of this year

The two dramas have one thing in common: They are works by up-and-coming young directors who get a good head start on their careers in the rapidly changing media entertainment.

Based on the BBC One TV series "Doctor Foster," which aired in 2015 and 2017, the JTBC series is about a dedicated wife, played by Kim, who finds out about her husband's betrayal and takes revenge against him.

63A3289E-D0D2-42FE-B3A1-454C20BBDEB8.jpg

A scene from "The World of the Married" provided by JTBC (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Director Mo Wan-il was good at weaving the genre of mystery and romance in a dramatic story in the mystery romance thriller "Misty" (2018) on JTBC, his directorial debut.

Two years later, he came back with the R-rated series, whose upgraded intense suspense and unpredictable storytelling made viewers experience a wild emotional rollercoaster.

The final episode of the series on May 16 recorded viewership of 28.371 percent, surpassing the previous record of 23.8 percent set by another JTBC drama series "SKY Castle" (2019).

Mo was named best TV director at this year's Baeksang Arts Awards last week.

"Hot Stove League," a story about the general manager of a professional baseball team that hit nearly 20 percent in viewership, was directed by Jeong Dong-yoon. It is his first 16-episode drama series following two short TV series on SBS.

Jeong's realistic portrayal of offseason player transactions among baseball clubs, salary negotiations and behind-the-scenes scouting for new talents gained popularity not only from baseball superfans but also those who do not watch sports.

The tvN drama "My Unfamiliar Family" is also the maiden work of director Kwon Young-il, who participated in the office drama "Search: WWW" (2019) as an assistant director.

Without a big-name cast, Kwon's intriguing storytelling about the relationships and misunderstandings among families who act like strangers had a good start, hitting nearly 4 percent in its first week.

At the same time, MBC's weekly office comedy "Kkondae Intern," also known as "Old School Intern," is director Nam Sung-woo's second full-length TV series after the action thriller "Kill It" (2019) on OCN.

His well-rounded rendering of comical characters, including star actor Park Hae-jin is winning rave reviews from viewers.

Experts said the diversified platforms and increased TV channels have expanded ways for young directors to make their presence felt.

"If they have good ideas, rookie directors can be given chances to build their careers on the back of an effective TV production system in South Korea," culture critic Gong Hee-jeong said. "They can display their creativity on various platforms."

brk@yna.co.kr
(END)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://zapzee.net/2020/06/22/pick-report-cards-of-stars-who-returned-to-the-small-screen-in-the-first-half-of-2020/

[PICK] Report Cards of Stars Who Returned to the Small Screen in the First Half of 2020

By krishkim | Edited by Hong Hyun Jung | Translated by Kim Hoyeun

9A5A20FF-719E-45F6-8143-831BC086A526.jpg

Unlike the big screen where there are fewer opportunities to meet the star actors due to the spread of COVID-19, the small screen became hot with the help of star actors. However, not everyone receives satisfactory results. Although all broadcasting companies introduced several new works, only a few caught the attention of viewers. Among them, we will look at the actors who successfully returned to the small screen after a hiatus and those who received disappointing responses.

Park Seo Joon – Itaewon Class

Park Seo Joon has have made several hits, including She Was Pretty (2015), Fight For My Way (2017), and What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim (2018), by present perfect chemistry with his fellow actors. His true value also sparkled in drama Itaewon Class, the work he returned to the small screen with after two years. Unlike his previous works, Itaewon Class showed a heavier atmosphere. But still, he managed to perfectly pull off an honest character who sticks to his belief. On top of that, with his appearance that seemed to have popped right out of the original webtoon, he started the “Park Sae Roy craze.” Park Seo Joon will now work with IU in director Lee Byung Hun’s new film Dream (literal translation).

Kim Hye Soo – Hyena

8EAF9D7D-C4E2-497C-92CB-5D3B0F630969.jpg
credit: SBS
Kim Hye Soo’s return to the small screen four years after Signal was triumphant. Jung Geum Ja, who rushes to the goal without hesitation and pursues justice in her own way, was a character that we have never seen in TV dramas before. Her unique personality came to life after meeting Kim Hye Soo’s slick and cheerful performances. She also opened a new world of “adult romance” by exchanging intense emotions with Joo Ji Hoon. After Hyena, Kim Hye Soo will come back with the film The Day I Died (literal translation).

Kim Hee Ae – The World of the Married

01636877-D56D-428C-A6B5-23A6F7289A2F.jpg

credit: JTBC

When it comes to Kim Hee Ae, even the obvious and stale affair dramas become elegant. Following My Man’s Woman (2007), A Wife’s Credentials (2012), and Secret Love Affair (2014), Kim Hee Ae returned with The World of the Married, which dealt with affairs. She captivated viewers by leading intense stories with detailed emotional performances going back and forth between the rage and coolness. It’s impossible to think how The World of the Married would have been presented a whirlpool of intense emotions if it wasn’t for Kim Hee Ae. The Baeksang Arts Awards, held on June 5, gave Kim Hee Ae the Best Actress Award for her three-dimensional portrayal of her role, Ji Sun Woo.

Choi Kang Hee – Good Casting

Choi Kang Hee challenged her first action scenes since her debut 25 years ago. In the comic spy action drama Good Casting, which she returned to the small screen with after two years, she played the role of Baek Chan Mi, a secret agent with a strong personality. She showcased a variety of action scenes, including a barehand actions in the rain, giving a sense of catharsis for viewers. And in the romance with Lee Sang Yeob, she added the fun by presenting her lovely charms, presenting a heart-fluttering moments. Although the viewership has fallen a single digit since the first broadcast, it has maintains its undisputed No. 1 position among all Monday-Tuesday dramas, thanks to her effort of trying something new without settling in the same place.

Lee Min Ho – The King: Eternal Monarch

Hallyu star Lee Min Ho chose writer Kim Eun Sook’s The King: Eternal Monarch as his first return in three years after his discharge from the military. But despite all the expectations he received in the production stage, it was a lonely exit. Aside from the anachronistic lines and improbable developments, there was also a slew of criticisms about his never-changing acting of Lee Min Ho, who played Yi Gon, the emperor of the Korean Empire. Similar acting from his precious works was obvious, and the chemistry with Kim Go Eun was not what was expected. Figuring how much the drama caught the attention even before the official broadcast with the reunion of Lee Min Ho and Kim Eun Sook, the result is bitter.

Jung Hae In – A Piece of Your Mind

Jung Hae In, who performed strongly in emotional melodrama, made a comeback with A Piece of Your Mind a year after One Spring Night, but faced a humiliating exit after the drama was cut down by four episodes. Such a result was even more painful since he showed back-to-back hit with Something in the Rain (2018) and One Spring Night (2019). Even to Jung Hae In, the unfamiliar subject of AI, the hard-to-sympathize character relationship, and the tedious developments became hindrances. The drama failed to grab the attention and broke the lowest viewership with every episode, eventually coming to an end with 12 episodes instead of 16.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://zapzee.net/2020/07/01/pick-editors-pick-best-worst-dramas-of-the-first-half-of-2020/

[PICK] Editors’ Pick – Best & Worst Dramas of the First Half of 2020

By Krishkim | Translated by Kim Hoyeun

639688E2-2FEA-4981-99B3-EE00C908D0B6.jpg

Credit: JTBC, SBS

In the first half of 2020, dramas received two opposite reviews. While dramas like Crash Landing On You, which first premiered at the end of last year, The World of the Married, Hospital Playlist, and Itaewon Class received favorable reactions and recorded high viewership, other works, such as The King: Eternal Monarch and A Piece of Your Mind, showed disappointing results despite their casting of star actors. In the case of Meow, the Secret Boy, it became the first drama that aired on terrestrial TV network to record the dishonorable viewership of 0 percent.

Let’s take a look at editors’ best and worst pick. (selection made among all the dramas that premiered since 2020.01.01.)

Editor Yang Young Jun’s Pick – BEST: Itaewon Class / WORST: The King: Eternal Monarch

Spoiler

A9DDD7FA-45A5-4533-B200-975A07E3C657.jpg

Credit: JTBC, SBS

It is rare to find a webtoon-based project like Itaewon Class. I may have an axe to grind, but considering how high the viewership of the drama was, I am guessing that a lot more people are thinking the same way. From the actors’ passionate acting, the script written by the original author, to the “underdog’s rebellion” story that anyone would enjoy, there are so many key points that made people fall in love with the drama. Yet, regardless of all these advantages, the fact that Kim Da Mi, my favorite actor, appeared is enough to make this my number one drama.

The King: Eternal Monarch is the most regrettable work written by Kim Eun Sook. The unique directing style, excessive product placement, unattractive characters, and boring narrative early on have surpassed the level that can be recovered by the attractive setting and star actors Lee Min Ho and Kim Go Eun. There were many improvements in the latter half, but it was just like locking the barn door after the horse has bolted. So these days, I am soothing my disappointments by watching Goblin on Netflix.

Editor Seo Hae Lan’s Pick – BEST: Kingdom Season 2/ WORST: My Holo Love

Spoiler

4345BC32-6887-489E-89C3-2C3812889025.jpg

Credit: Netflix

Even I, who run miles away when it comes to zombie movies or dramas, endured to watch Kingdom Season 2. Though the second season continues the story of the first season, it was produced more like the Korean traditional historical dramas. Loyalty, guilt, the sorrow of the firstborn in Korea, and the twisted desire to destroy it if you can’t have it, such emotions are melted into various parts of the drama, raising the level of immersion. I hope you don’t forget to watch the icon of loyalty, Ahn Hyun, who bites the face of the treacherous subject even as he turns into a zombie.

The concept of My Holo Love is ingenious, and the way it was implemented is also quite persuasive. You can see the effort they have put into research on artificial intelligence and lifestyle. Nevertheless, I still chose it as the worst drama because there is no “taste of words” that I expected. Even in the scenes where intense emotions explode, the lines are too stiff. It is difficult to follow the character’s emotions since the lines hinder the concentration. So the moment when the main characters kiss and confess their love, the viewers are puzzled. That was supposed to be the whisper of love?

Editor Kim Won Hee’s Pick – BEST & WORST: The World of the Married

D4D43FE8-59E5-456C-808A-A2859F5D65E2.jpg

Credit: JTBC

The most thrilling drama in the first half of this year is The World of the Married. After giving off an unusual vibe even from the poster, the drama showed a shocking twist from the first episode, stimulating viewers’ peripheral nerves. The facts revealed as the story progressed were shocking, and Ji Sun Woo always presented gratifying scenes whenever she faced difficulties. Female characters who showed various performances like Yeo Da Kyung, Ko Ye Rim, and Min Hyun Seo were also impressive. But yet…

Up until the 6th episode, it faithfully followed the original storyline of the first season of Doctor Foster, boasting an extreme satisfaction. However, from the 7th episode, it slowly drifted away from the path and only seemed to seek stimulation by presenting an overly assailant-centered viewpoint. The initial freshness, which met the expectations, ended with a flurry of violent depictions, leaving only an awkward and uncomfortable aftertaste. It is a pity that the responses in the first half and the second half are poles apart.

Editor Hwang Hong Sun’s Pick – BEST: Hospital Playlist / WORST: Hi Bye, Mama!

Spoiler

AF9D1414-9EE6-432D-9935-10EFC4A81684.png

Credit: tvN

Hospital Playlist is the drama that makes people think of people first before the hospital. The chemistry shown by the five main characters was as sympathetic and warm as if we were watching our own friends. Jeon Mi Do, who made her first TV drama debut with the drama, showed such a strong presence that it made me wonder why she didn’t come out earlier. There were some criticisms that such good and warm stories are not realistic, but still, the drama delivered its sincerity with delicate and emotional portrayals.

While Hi Bye, Mama! showed s fresh start, the second half was just disappointing. In fact, Kim Tae Hee’s brilliant acting as a mother and her touching story that goes back and forth between the past and the present was good. However, the drama began to crumble in the latter half that dealt with Kim Tae Hee’s reincarnation. The key points that have grabbed the attention early on were buried deep by forced stories that only sought out for tears and frustrating developments that failed to speed up when necessary. Especially, the ending was so obvious that it was boring.

Editor Hong Hyun Jung’s Pick – BEST: Hyena / WORST: Money Game

Spoiler

3F535DD4-0004-4466-A98E-1A160D56263A.jpg

Credit: SBS, tvN

Among the dramas introduced in the first half of this year, the most impressive one is Hyena, which gave birth to a female character “Jung Geum Ja,” who took a great step forward. Jung Geum Ja, who takes the bull by the horns in this challenging world with her own strength and takes the lead on both work and love, came to life after meeting Kim Hye Soo’s charismatic acting, presenting catharsis to the viewers. Her sexy “adult romance” with Yoon Hee Jae, a lawyer who lived a sheltered life, was a bonus.

Money Game, which depicts conflicts and confrontations among three people with different beliefs over financial scandals, is a case in which expectations have turned into disappointments. The fact that it dealt with an economic crisis, which is rare for Korean dramas, was exciting, but the slow development as they pressed the story of each and every character was certainly regrettable. In particular, it’s questionable whether the extreme setting of death should have been drawn from the beginning to build up tension. I rather wanted them to focus more on the economy.

• Like 1

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200703000727

Ups and downs of K-dramas in first half 2020

By Choi Ji-won | Jul 6, 2020

44AEC3D3-B053-41F4-9073-7A3A35D9D643.jpg

“The World of the Married” (JTBC)/ "Itaewon Class" (JTBC)/ "Crash Landing on You" (tvN)

The first half of this year was an especially bumpy road for Korean television. Although the sudden outbreak of COVID-19 halted some productions for a while, small-screen content came into a new limelight as a source of joy and comfort for people stuck at home in the period of quarantine.

JTBC becomes big name 

JTBC ran strong last year with “Sky Castle,” which set a record viewership rating for the cable channel. And the broadcaster has further built on its success this year. 

“Itaewon Class” kicked off the year smoothly for the network. Based on a popular webtoon of the same title, Korean heartthrob Park Seo-jun showed chemistry with rookie Kim Da-mi. The story of Park Sae-ro-yi chasing success captured young viewers and the series ended at a high of 16.5 percent in the ratings.

Koreans thought they had had enough of deadly love affairs -- until they saw “The World of the Married.” Even with the six R-rated episodes that set the series apart, the “Doctor Foster” remake quickly gained popularity and at its 12th episode outran the previous highest viewership mark of 23.8 percent set by “Sky Castle,” ending with a new record 28.3 percent on its final episode. As a result, producer Mo Wan-il and lead actor Kim Hee-ae were named best producer and best actress for TV, respectively, at this year’s Baeksang Arts Awards.

Not everything worked out, but drama powerhouse tvN also had its ups. Studded with stars in leads Son Ye-jin and Hyun Bin, “Crash Landing on You” broke tvN’s viewership record in February with the unrealistic romance between a South Korean chaebol heiress and North Korean military officer. Taking the baton next, “Hospital Playlist” from star director Shin Won-ho and writer Lee Woo-jung was a massive hit despite only airing once a week.

Among the three major local broadcasters, SBS showed fair scores for many of its dramas, including the second season of medical drama “Dr. Romantic,” Namkoong Min’s “Stove League” and “Hyena,” featuring Ju Ji-hoon and Kim Hye-soo.

F08EF045-5449-4D17-9149-3A9BF754F849.jpg

“Extracurricular” (Netflix)/ “Stove League” (SBS)/ "Black Dog" (tvN)

New writers debut big

The first sports-themed drama in Korean TV, SBS’ “Stove League” from rookie writer Lee Shin-hwa was a huge hit. The baseball drama captured even those viewers who have never been a fan of the sport with its no-frills story that moved the limelight from the players to the front office.

Scriptwriter Jin Han-sae of Netflix’s “Extracurricular” also shot to fame with the 10-episode series. The son of star TV screenwriter Song Ji-na -- who created some of Korea’s best-known TV series including “Sandglass” (1995) and “The Legend” (2007) -- Jin takes a huge first swing with a story revolving around teenagers meddling in prostitution and human trafficking. 

Even ahead of the two smash hits, TV dramas coming from new writers have continued to catch viewers’ eyes this year. TvN’s “Black Dog,” showing the competitive ecosystem of Korean private school teachers, came from rookie writer Park Ju-young, whereas financial crime series “Money Game” was the drama debut for veteran radio scriptwriter Lee Young-mi.

Some may pass off the glory to beginner’s luck, but most of the new scripts were not actually so new. Lee had won an award for his “Stove League” script from MBC in 2016, but had to wait almost four years until it materialized with SBS. During the hiatus, Lee focused on more research and interviews with related officials to add greater detail. 

Sometimes personal experiences became a source of creativity. Jin had revealed that “Extracurricular” was based on his own experience and thoughts as a teenager, whereas Park had written the “Black Dog” script from her three years working as a teacher. Lee, who had received critical acclaim for the realistic portrayal of economic bureaucrats in “Money Game,” stated that not only did she write the script based on her years of experience in finance shows, she also requested experts in the field to proofread the scripts. 

7C51A4B0-2076-4983-A0FD-9CB49CCF587F.jpg

"Kingdom 2" (Netflix)/ “The King: Eternal Monarch” (SBS)/ "A Piece of Your Mind" (tvN)

Stars shine bright, burn out

Several big-name actors, well accustomed with success, had their ups and downs. 

Ju Ji-hoon and Bae Doo-na made successful returns in the second season of zombie thriller “Kingdom” on Netflix. With the story helmed by star screenwriter Kim Eun-hee, the first season, released in January 2019, took the Korean zombie genre to the global level, and the second season was acclaimed as having outperformed the first by critics and viewers worldwide.

Korean sweetheart Kim Tae-hee returned to the small screen after five years with tvN’s “Hi Bye, Mama!” While this was her first appearance on TV since her marriage to singer Rain and giving birth to two children, the show failed to meet expectations boosted by Kim’s popularity and ended with a relatively low rating of 5.1 percent on its last episode. 

Worse for tvN came with romance-drama “A Piece of Your Mind,” starring Jung Hae-in. Despite Jung’s stellar popularity, the series maintained poor ratings of between 1 and 2 percent throughout its run and, in the end, was forced to reduce the number episodes from 16 to 12. 

Perhaps the most anticipated yet most disgraced was SBS’ “The King: Eternal Monarch,” starring Lee Min-ho. Coming from star writer Kim Eun-sook of “Descendants of the Sun” (2016) and “Guardian: The Lonely and Great God” (2016), Lee had chosen the blockbuster fantasy piece as his post-military comeback production. Criticisms on the farfetched story and poor acting by Lee and his counterpart Kim Go-eun, topped with excessive placement product, however, failed to impress viewers, as it finished with single-digit ratings.

By Choi Ji-won (jwc@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 1