[Drama 2014] Fated To Love You, 운명처럼 널 사랑해

Go Seung Ji

Finally I can rewatch episode 9. I haven't been able to rewatch this episode at all because the subtitles were so hard to read because of the election banners. Thank you DF - no more banners!! I didn't know that Dr Octupus already mentioned to Gun that if disease doesn't flare up by the time he's 40, he could love to probably another 50 years. So this stayed consistent with the finale.

FTLY did touch my heart. It was one drama where there was more romantic/hilarious antics rather than angst.angst.angst. like all these other dramas these days. It did have its flaws (very minor) but really, I believe that the two Jangs were flawless. Their chemistry was sky high. It was sweet, romantic, hot, sexy, passionate, cute and adorable. And when the hard clutch-your-heart-and-cry moments came, it was heartwarming. Sad, yet so beautiful. It kinda reminded me of Reply 1994, my favorite drama (which stars my favorite actor- Jung! Fcking! Woo!- noticed my username?). Beautiful, even in the sad parts. Love it. This drama is Fated to be Memorable.

Annyeong chingu deul :)

Me too @genmailjs suffering from FTLY withdrawal syndrome. Last night before bed, I rewatch my fave scenes in Ep18-20. I still can't get over how gorgeous is JH's nose :)) I never noticed his nose before from Bright Girl, Thank You, Chuno and Iris2. I have to thank FTLY and Jang Nara, that this time I observed and discovered JH's gorgeous nose.

Hi friends, I want to talk about the latest BTS on the Wedding Scene. By the end of the BTS, after both LG and MY kissed as hubby and wife, once completed, what happened to JH? He looked frozen with JNR smiling at him, then he looked up. I guess he was trying to calm down his feelings huh? I have read somewhere before from one of the actresses' confession that during the filming, they did developed feelings as reel couple. What I'm trying to say that the OTP couples would really let themselves to fall in love with the characters. I really pity them because after the filming has ended, they have to sort out their real feelings from reel feelings.

Sorry if this is off-topic, Gong Hyo Jin ever said that after filming is done, she would need 2-4 weeks time to forget her character and the love feelings.

No wonder there are some reel couple became real couple such as Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt because they fell in love during the filming.

• Like 1

annyeong yeorobun!
it's wednesday now and have 11 hours more to go before episode (twenty) one!!! lovelyjen said: only1khj said: Rewatching episode 6 tonight.  We may not know exactly when Gun fell in love with Mi Young, but there's no doubt when he fell in love with her mom.  It's the scene before she boards the bus, after the cutest karaoke duet ever.  When MY's omma tells Gun that he should think of her as his mom and then later touches his cheek before she gets on that bus, she's hooked him. :x

Guest mywebfoot

@alekaonu I feel that this is an uncomfortable truth. Even though JH is married, he's a professional actor too, and I think that he doesn't stop himself from 'falling in love' with his co-star's CHARACTER. This is an important thing to remember, and the times that JH stares lovingly at JN are not fake, but neither are they real in the everlasting sense. I think he's just totally committed to the character (admirably so), and as long as he is responding to the name 'Lee Goen' he gives himself permission to adore 'Kim Mi Young'. I am a strong proponent of marriage and I don't like it when things threaten a marriage, so, as a fan, sometimes I do worry for JH and his own marriage when these kinds of BTS' come out. I think that his wife married him already fully aware of an actor's life, and as we have all seen in the interview, JH pulls no punches in letting his wife know she is precious. So, though I have no power in these things, my hope for JH is that he is now in the process of letting go of LG and throwing himself back into his real life - his loving wife and adorable baby boys.

I have never seen a perfect drama, even if I say so, but this FTLY remake is a dream come true for me, not only in cast but in many aspects of its writing and direction. Sure, I didn't like it that it was HD, but with each episode to the end I began to see why it had to be HD. The disease wasn't fully resolved (and it couldn't be), but that resonated the message of the story. Every week, I was excited for more development in Daniel and Sera's story but indeed it didn't come until the last two episodes. I had wished to see Snail couple's reaction to learning Daniel and Sera's relationship and clarity with Daniel and Grandma's friendship, but no time for that. Nor did we get to see Miyoung's family back at Yeoul Island-- which I thought was an important and meaningful role it played.. None of that negated my love for the drama. The major difference from me and a reviewer is that I'm a fangirl at heart. XD

I think we each have our own ways in how we enjoy a drama. Some are there for the entertainment/eye candy while others need that depth factor that enables connection and engagement with the characters and the situations presented. I'd like to hope that for most, it's both that and the narrative, plot and character developments as a whole. Everyone is entitled to their own feelings and opinions and I respect that, as long as the criticism is fair and doesn't insult fans' love for the drama.

@fiovial‌ So sad!!

//Edit.

@mywebfoot‌ And that's why Miyoung is BOSS!! No really, she has this empathetic leadership quality in her that would make her your best boss. That was wonderful insight. THANK YOU!

@lovelyjen: Now I remember why I was so shocked and kept looking at the screen making sure I was seeing what I thought I saw.  This event happens during the misunderstanding about the selling/redemption of Yeowul Island.  KMY has just returned from run-away-wife mode and she's still miffed at LG.  Gun, Lee Gun can't figure out what is wrong with his snail because he's already redeemed the island and doesn't have a clue that KMY knows he sold it. So, during this time of distance emotionally, we see them suddenly on a couch in the presence of others with his hand placed and lingering on her shoulder like real newlyweds. Totally unexpected!
@songielove: I watch k-drama for entertainment purposes also, not for reality.  When I want "reality" I choose American crime dramas, or should I say when I want to engage my brain during a viewing experience.
@fiovial: I also cared about LG and KMY on a personal level.  Their characters were painted so well by the writers and brought to life by the actors and director that I truly felt like they could be people I know in my real life, not just my reel life. This is why FtLY is special to me.  While my favorite asian drama set up is the rich, arrogant male lead meets ordinary, hard-working girl (Cinderella lives on), FtLY is the first time I suspend belief enough to enter LG/KMY's world.  I'm not just watching and appreciating their story, but actually feeling their story. 

stuartjmz said: lovelyjen said: I'm going to have to agree with @gumi here. Some people view this drama too critically and dislike things that don't really matter. I understand if you didn't like the fact that they didn't do their research on HD properly because that was something that should have been planned out from the beginning. Some people though thought it dragged too much or they didn't understand certain motivations of a character. Does it really matter? I usually watch dramas to enjoy myself, enjoy  what's going on, not judge everything that happens. Really, it's not a bad drama at all, some people need to just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

Guest Kdrama-lover

Hey everybody! I was a silent reader since day one! I just wanted to say THANK YOU ALL for keeping this thread alive! I love FTLY so much, still can't believe it ended. I felt so empty after I watched last episode and I had no one to talk about it, because none of my friends watched it yet, so comming to this thread brightened up all my days! Thank you guys! 

I am doing a fan video on our favorite Snail couple now! Will deffinetely share it with you all when I finish! Hope you all will like it! 

@sweettspy‌ , welcome to the awesome FTLY Thread! Never, never too late to delurk! ;) :-bd >:D< FTLY Snail couple suction power too great for human resistance! B-) :P =)) How I wish there's a "snail emoticon" here to click and use! SOOMPI , why is it there are only :bz 3:-O :@) ~:> :o3 and :(|) emoticons?!? Me want my SNAIL EMOTICONS!!! :(( :(( :((

Pretty please...chebal juseyo..:x [-O< :)>-

Guest lovelyjen

only1khj said: @lovelyjen: Now I remember why I was so shocked and kept looking at the screen making sure I was seeing what I thought I saw.  This event happens during the misunderstanding about the selling/redemption of Yeowul Island.  KMY has just returned from run-away-wife mode and she's still miffed at LG.  Gun, Lee Gun can't figure out what is wrong with his snail because he's already redeemed the island and doesn't have a clue that KMY knows he sold it. So, during this time of distance emotionally, we see them suddenly on a couch in the presence of others with his hand placed and lingering on her shoulder like real newlyweds. Totally unexpected!

Guest ladyjjang

alekaonu said:

Annyeong chingu deul :)

Me too @genmailjs suffering from FTLY withdrawal syndrome. Last night before bed, I rewatch my fave scenes in Ep18-20. I still can't get over how gorgeous is JH's nose :)) I never noticed his nose before from Bright Girl, Thank You, Chuno and Iris2. I have to thank FTLY and Jang Nara, that this time I observed and discovered JH's gorgeous nose.

Hi friends, I want to talk about the latest BTS on the Wedding Scene. By the end of the BTS, after both LG and MY kissed as hubby and wife, once completed, what happened to JH? He looked frozen with JNR smiling at him, then he looked up. I guess he was trying to calm down his feelings huh? I have read somewhere before from one of the actresses' confession that during the filming, they did developed feelings as reel couple. What I'm trying to say that the OTP couples would really let themselves to fall in love with the characters. I really pity them because after the filming has ended, they have to sort out their real feelings from reel feelings.

Sorry if this is off-topic, Gong Hyo Jin ever said that after filming is done, she would need 2-4 weeks time to forget her character and the love feelings.

No wonder there are some reel couple became real couple such as Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt because they fell in love during the filming.

Guest chunnogirl33

I do believe that this drama is deeper and richer than others give it credit for. The writers and the PD had something to tell us. Unfortunately some people did get lost on "plot". Plot is important but it is not the "only" thing that is important when telling a story. Many stories, such as this one are told from the character's development

I, however, didn't mind hancinema's reviews. That reviewer appreciated most aspects of the drama. In fact, her only "criticism" was about the last episode which actually included the only one scene I found jarring and even contradictory to the whole theme of this drama "Fate Vs Choice" which was the second drugging. I did not appreciate that and the fact that Grandma got away with her plan.

I am much more disappointed with Dramabeans recaps. Often the would actually misinterpret facts from the drama and never fix the posts even when their mistake was pointed out on the comments. They also never understood the importance of Geon's illness and thought of it as simply a plot device. Geon's fear of death was defining trait of his character presented from the beginning. By dismissing this, they misunderstood Geon all the way. I find it sad because he truly is a wonderful character in my opinion.

Regarding Mi Young being the hero, yes she was the savior, and her growth was beautiful to witness. But to me, there have been countless boring heros in fiction. A hero is not always the most fascinating character. The beauty of Mi Young is how human she was and how well Jang Nara understood and portrayed her. She was to me "the underdog". However, just like Jang Hyuk himself said "My character wouldn't have worked without JNR realistic acting"

Then I also say, this drama would not have been the same without Jang Hyuk's fascinating portrayal of Lee Gun

I refuse to give one (character or actor) more credit than the other. They were both greatu, greatu, greatu!

@lovelyjen: That last comment was a follow-up post answering your question if I was group watching or not. Sorry for confusion.  I had told you I was watching 6n looking for that scene but found it in 7.
@songielove should be @sooyoungdae in previous post. Although @songielove talked about it too while I was typing out my comment, so it's for both of you now. 

Guest lovelyjen

only1khj said: @lovelyjen: That last comment was a follow-up post answering your question if I was group watching or not. Sorry for confusion.  I had told you I was watching 6n looking for that scene but found it in 7.

Guest mywebfoot

chunnogirl33 said:  Then I also say, this drama would not have been the same without Jang Hyuk's fascinating portrayal of Lee Gun I refuse to give one (character or actor) more credit than the other. They were both greatu, greatu, greatu!

@chunnogirl33‌ I agree with you about the dramabeans part. In the beginning, the recaps were magic, and it only served to add to the awesomeness of the show.

But once HD came in, I felt that the writers were not satisfied that the drama didn't turn the way they want. And that bias led to a very one sided drama recap. They didn't take time to understand Gunnie and miyoung's intention. Which were a waste.