[Drama 2014] Into the Flames 불꽃속으로

irilight

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

irilight said: @Pauvres, sorry that you image did not come through. We would love to see it.

If you have an image from a different website you can do one of two things to get it posted here.

1. copy (CTRL C) the image, and then paste it here (CTRL V)

OR

2. If you are using either google chrome browser or firefox, you can right click on the photo and when a drop down menu appears click on "copy image URL" (or "copy image location," on Firefox

Then, here on Soompi click on the image icon (the rectangular with the green in it, next to the + icon)
When you click on it you will get a pop-out message "insert image" - with an empty line to enter the image URL. You can then paste the URL you had previously copies, and click on submit.

If you are trying to post screen captures that you have taken, to the best of my knowledge, you need to got through am image hosting site such as ImageShack or PhotoBucket. Once you upload your photo there, you will get a URL address that will help you to post it on Soompi.

Feel free to also PM me if you need additional assistance...:)

@PAUVRES, thank you  :)

Awesome photos... ! Thank you!

That poster with the word "Victory" gives me thought of  a love triangle between PTH and the two women - Kumiko and Jang Ok-Sun, whose character we have not yet met.  I may be wrong,, of course. Just a thought as I am looking at the poster.

Looking forward to adult cast this weekend. Will post some screencaps before that.

@Kdramafanfan, the more I think of it, I cannot think of a Kdrama other than this one that is based on true current events, but there are quite a few Kdrama that depict time and atmosphere of modern Korea.

I am not a knowledgeable person on the subject by any stretch of the imagination, so I hope someone else on this thread can contribute their answer to this question.

From what I have read "Sandglass" aka "The Hourglass" is almost a stand-alone classic in the genre of Kdrama depicting modern history.  It averaged 50% ratings, and peaked at about 65%. It also won many awards.  I have yet to see it, but it is pretty close to the top of my List.  You can watch it on DramaFever, by the way.

A drama that several of us recently finished watching was also a cable drama (JTBC) "The Firstborn" which depicted life in Korea between 1960's and current times. It was a well done period drama.

"Bridal Mask" was set during the Japanese colonial era.

"Seoul 1945" is set during the end of the colonial era up to the time of the division of Korea

"Comrades" is set during the Korean War (also with Choi Soo-Jong)

Soon to be released (in June) will be "Joseon Gunman" which is set in the 19th Century and "Endless Love" set in the 1980's
I look forward to watching both, and I do hope they get subbed.

Currently airing sageuk drama that I can think of is "Jung Do-Jeon". It has not been subbed either yet, but you can catch it with subs on live showing on KBS World, (but it is already about half way through)

These are the main ones that come into my mind right now. Anyone else on the thread can please add other drama depicting modern history, or based on actual events..

Screencaps from ep. 3.

PTH managed to get Kumiko's father out of the burning car and back home.

IF-3-16_zps7ce51091.jpg

But Kumiko's father did die from his wounds.

IF-3-10_zps042f4688.jpg

Both PTH and SDC are sent to the Japanese military, along as other students from the Judo academy.
Here, PTH's father giving him a ride to the train station.

IF-3-11_zps9dea92e4.jpg

And PTH bowing good-bye to his dad.

IF-3-12_zpsa3251a4b.jpg

Brutality for new recruits is rampant

IF-3-13_zps45ce1d2e.jpg

There is no love lost between PTH, SDC, and this fellow. He disliked the two of them in the Judo academy. PTH beat him in Judo, and he was also hurt physically. Now he will take every opportunity to hurt them. Actually PTH once even saved his life in an explosion in the army, but this fellow has already made up his mind to hate these lads long before that.

IF-3-14_zps3cc0f9bd.jpg

In the meantime, Kumiko is left with Alan Kissinger, as one of her advisers.  She has no idea that her father tried to get rid of Kissinger, and the latter arranged for her father's death.

IF-3-15_zpsdea3a25a.jpg

Her father's secretary, Yamamoto, is concerned for her well being.

IF-3-17_zpsc6216430.jpg

In the meantime, PTH's parents took the long trip to come and visit their son, but they are not allowed in the camp, or even to see him.

IF-3-19_zps9492ec48.jpg

They end up giving a parcel they brought for PTH to a young man who proclaims to be his friend - the skinny tall one from the photo above. The one who is really out to get PTH. Now, he and a friend, opened the package, and are feasting on the food there, and reading the letter to PTH from his parents, and stealing cash they found hidden there.

IF-3-20_zpscb8a8408.jpg

They do eventually give the package, or what's left of it to PTH, who has no idea that they have already went through it and stole so much. But at least he gets to read his parents letter.

IF-3-21_zps65e9c8fc.jpg

It's a haircut day in the military.

IF-3-24_zps9ead5c30.jpg

IF-3-25_zpsf4573393.jpg

IF-3-28_zps80065be9.jpg

In the meantime, Kissinger wants to send Kumiko to Europe against Yamamoto's better judgement.

IF-3-23_zps6d0d8ba6.jpg

Kumiko wants to visit the lads before she agrees to leave for Europe, so she goes to their camp with Yamamoto.

Yamamoto wants to catch a word with PTH anyway, about the day Kohei was killed.

IF-3-26_zps3954143a.jpg

IF-3-27_zps997a4e31.jpg

Then the friends get to spend some time together.

IF-3-29_zpsb3f517b9.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll post ep 4 screencaps tomorrow.

OST #2  is now on YT as well.

id="watch-headline-title" class="yt" style="margin: 0px 0px 5px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 24px; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap; word-wrap: normal; text-overflow: ellipsis; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;"Oh Jin Sung (오진성) [izi] - 말을해 [into The Flames OST]

http://youtu.be/CfjYQgrIBpE

More on ep. 3.

In their conversation with Kumiko, PTH and SDC decide to escape instead of being shipped to Mongolia, or wherever it is they were about to be shipped to. Kumki will meet them with a car outside the camp.
Well, things seldom happen as planned. As they both get up and out of the dorm, the 2 fellow who hate them, are awake and noticing.

IF-3-30_zps28226cee.jpg

They not only follow PTH and SDC, but they also bring armed reinforcements.

The lads do manage to escape out of the camp, but that evil tall guy shot SDC in the leg. So now, although they are out of the camp, they cannot very well run as planned because SDC injury to his foot.

Ep. 4 (if you have anything to add, please do not be bashful)

The lads are trying to escape, but SDC cannot run anymore because of his injury. 

IF-4-1-a_zps94cca33a.jpg

Kumiko is driving the car to fetch them. She is not a good driver. Maybe this is her first time driving.. and she does go right into a poll she had a bunch of hysteria while driving. She is caught by the soldiers, but is able to escape,despite being shot at.

PTH figures the best way to save SDC who can no longer walk, is to offer himself as a bait to the soldiers who are pursuing them.

IF-4-1-b_zps88bb4cc4.jpg

SDC is afraid to be left alone there, since he cannot walk. But, Kumiko was able to find him. Actually, almost stumble upon him, in her escape from the soldiers.

IF-4-1_zps434d83a3.jpg

And,the soldiers in pursuit find the both of them.

IF-4-2_zps260fbca0.jpg

PTH manages to escape thanks to an air raid

IF-4-1-c_zps5fe7f717.jpg

But not for long.

IF-4-4-a_zpsab0ddc83.jpg

IF-4-4_zpsc793982d.jpg

Yes, those two nasty men are there too.

IF-4-4-b_zps263b97f0.jpg

In the meantime, Kumiko who was let go by the soldiers because of her social position, is trying to get Alan Kissinger to intervene and save the boys.

IF-4-4-c_zps8efbfe9c.jpg

She succeeds. Here, PTH visits SDC who is hospitalized for his leg injury. Being well connected to Kumiko helped immensely.

IF-4-4-d_zpsfca4ace3.jpg

I love the Bromance between these two boys.

IF-4-4-e_zps02395917.jpg

And out they go

IF-4-5_zpsa3b49fe4.jpg

But trouble follows still. As PTH walks off for a few,  SDC is once again caught by the scumbags. And of course, being injured, he is in no position to fight the off.

IF-4-5-a_zps81e678f1.jpg

In the meantime, PTH who has wondered off in this factory, is fascinated by the sight of fire and molten metal.

IF-4-6-a_zpsfb0b0607.jpg

IF-4-7_zps608ec588.jpg

A long life passion is born...for we shall see him again, standing next to molten metal and fire.

IF-4-8_zpsb72c8a3e.jpg

In the meantime, CJH, the "dog" has landed back from America, looking for his master. It is now 1945

IF-4-9_zps44a0d16f.jpg

IF-4-10_zps569a66ae.jpg

And the meeting with the master...

IF-4-11_zps10880bd7.jpg

His new assignment - to get rid of Yamamoto who is loyal to Kohei's memory and Kumiko

IF-4-11-a_zps81068e2a.jpg

Then Choi Jong-Ho receives assignment #2 from Kissinger

IF-4-12_zps2cb82617.jpg

CJH is taken a back a bit about this command.

IF-4-13-a_zps34c013af.jpg

The reason, Kissinger explains, is PTH is too close to Yamamoto

IF-4-13-b_zps996ba852.jpg

As it turns out Yamamoto was actually observing Kissinger and and CJH from not too far away, almost like in a film Noir..

IF-4-13-c_zpsbd24bd0e.jpg

IF-4-13_zpsbee9c4ea.jpg

The boys are off work, and meeting with Kimuko. We see SDC openly smitten with her.

IF-4-14_zps8f64df4c.jpg

But when he leaves for a bit, Komiku takes the opportunity to get closer to PTH.

IF-4-15_zpsb780dca0.jpg

PTH is clearly smitten as well.  What neither of them realize is is that SDC who was about to come out, is witnessing these romantic moments between those two.

IF-4-16_zps5a1290b0.jpg

IF-4-16-a_zps0bd463ea.jpg

IF-4-17_zpsfa81eb45.jpg

Clearly SDC is not thrilled with what he had just witnessed

IF-4-18_zps005a686f.jpg

More screencaps from ep 4.

Choi Jong-Ho watching his prey, who is still investigating the death of Kohei

IF-4-19_zps1a0c4549.jpg

The boys are having it out about Kumiku. It is the first time we see them fight

IF-4-23_zpsefab3d6c.jpg

Until they hear a gun shot close by

IF-4-24_zpsd7d80413.jpg

Going to in the direction of the sound they discovered the bodies.

IF-4-27_zpsda6b224b.jpg

PTH and Kumiko

IF-4-31_zpsfcdcbd1c.jpg

Kissinger and  CJH discussing the state of the world
I liked that CJH remembered how PTH saved him, and did not follow the order to eliminate him.

IF-4-35_zpse44b8ff3.jpg

PTH wants to go back to Korea

IF-4-36_zps3bbc0fe9.jpg

Kumiko  begs him to not go

IF-4-37_zps1b7e1c2b.jpg

When he came to say his goodbye, she tried to hang on to him and stop him from leaving. He removed her arms, and left.

IF-4-38_zps87b5d0a5.jpg

Immediately after that, Kumiko then tried to stop SDC from leaving too, by hanging on to him. He too, removed her arms and left.

IF-4-39_zpsd88e0c3c.jpg

My computer's "mistake" but I liked it enough to keep it.

IF-4-40_zps18ba33c9.jpg

Later SDC goes to see Kumiko. He is clearly frustrated with her behavior.

IF-4-41_zps9c098c21.jpg

Her response is once again, physical, to take his hands and hold them. His response now, is to hug her, but I think it is more of a protective hug. notice his other arm is not around her either. I think he is responding to her loneliness and sadness, and tries his best to be a friend to PTH

IF-4-42_zps7ca5ba44.jpg

In the meantime PTH, on the boat recalls one of the last conversations with SDC, in which SDC told him he will take care of Kumiko, that's what friends are for.

IF-4-43_zps059e80c3.jpg

Onward to 1966..

IF-4-44_zps1a587bea.jpg

Adult cast in tonight's episode (if you are in Korea) or tomorrow morning's episode (if you are in the U.S.)

Archived