Love Letter 情書 러브레터 (1995)

Starring: Miho Nakayama, Kashiwabara Takashi, Bunjaku Han, Katsuyuki Shinohara

Director: Shunji Iwai

Genre: Drama, Romance

Runtime: 117mins

Production: Fuji Television Network, Inc

Language: Japanese

loveletter.jpg

Hiroko Watanabe (Miho Nakayama) is a young woman living in Kobe. Her fiance, Itsuki Fujii, was killed in a mountaineering accident, a tragedy she has not been able to recover from. One day she comes across Itsuki's old school yearbook and finds his old address in Hokkaido. Without giving it much thought, she writes a letter and sends it to that address, hoping that it would reach him in heaven. Meanwhile, in Otaru, Hokkaido, Itsuki Fujii (also played by Miho Nakayama) receives a letter that says, "Dear Itsuki Fujii. How are you? I am fine. Hiroko Watanabe." She has no idea who it's from and decides to writes back. When she receives another letter in reply, she goes to see Shigeru Akiba (Etsushi Toyokawa), a former mountaineering partner of Hiroko's fiancee who, after his partner's death, seriously considered marrying Hiroko whom he still loves. It doesn't take long for Hiroko to discover that she's been corresponding with a former classmate of her late fiance, a woman who coincidentally shares the same name as him. Through their exchanges, the two women begin to share memories of the dead Itsuki.

Director Shunji Iwai achieved massive commercial success with Love Letter, an achingly sentimental and poetic film about love both lost and found. TV drama queen Miho Nakayama stars as Hiroko Watanabe, a young woman who has not yet recovered from the loss of her fiance Itsuki Fujii two years earlier. While visiting Itsuki's mother, she discovers his old yearbook, and finding out that the school has been demolished, she writes a short, simple letter to Itsuki and sends it to the school's former address. She doesn't intend for the letter to reach anyone, and instead hopes that the act of writing it will help ease her own pain. But surprisingly, she gets a response! The recipient is another person named Itsuki Fujii, a female who actually went to the same school as Hiroko's fiance. The two women continue to correspond, and the memories they share with one another bring Hiroko ever closer to finding closure. But will she ever recover enough to meet this other Itsuki Fujii? Co-starring popular Japanese actor Etsushi Toyokawa, Love Letter is a heartfelt and utterly affecting motion picture that fully demonstrates Shunji Iwai's masterful ability to bring intimate human emotions to the screen. Set against the picturesque backdrop of rural Hokkaido, Love Letter is a stunningly beautiful and even magical motion picture.

SOURCE : 情書 러브레터

情書 러브레터

情書 러브레터

情書 러브레터

情書 러브레터

情書 러브레터

Guest i3lu3fun

my favourite all time japanese movie. the cinematography was breath-taking, plus kassy is so good looking in this. :P

i cry everytime watching it, especially when Fuji(female) find out that actually Fuji(male) love her, by the drawing from behind the library card.

Guest ginger

I need to see this, because I obsess over All About Lily Chou-Chou, and I've recently fallen hard for Swallowtail Butterfly (YENTOWN). This and April Story are next on my list.

-ginger

• 9 months later...
Guest `DEBI

I just watched this movie and it's one of the best I've evers een. the loves story between the two Itsuki Futjii moved me to tears.I'm going to watch Shunji Iwai's other shows too.

Guest Epikt

I'm going to watch Shunji Iwai's other shows too.

Great idea. :)

IMHO, the best are All about Lily Chou-Chou and Swallowtail Butterfly. But I don't think he ever did a bad movie (except maybe his very first TV-movies which are not so good, but....)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest theanonymousafro

Oh I rember watching this,I liked it. Wish one of my favorites actors,Etsushi's character got appreciated more though.

Archived