[Mainland Chinese Drama 2014] Battle of Changsha 战长沙

sugarplum892

Details:

Chinese Title: 战长沙 / Zhan Changsha
English title: Battle of Changsha
Genre: Modern Revolution

Episodes: 32

Director: Zhang Kai Zhou (Love Me If You Dare , When A Snail Falls in Love 如果蜗牛有爱情Ode To Joy 2 欢乐颂 2The Legend of the Concubine’s Daughter Ming Lan 庶女明兰传)

Producer:  Huo Hongliang (侯鸿亮)

Broadcast Date: March 8, 2014 - March 19, 2014
Cast:

Wallace Huo (霍建华) as Gu Qingming (顾清明)

Yang Zi (杨紫) as Hu Xiangxiang (胡湘湘)

Ren Chengwei (任程伟) as Xue Junshan(薛君山)

Gao Xin (高鑫) as Liu Minghan (刘明瀚)

Zuo Xiaoqing (左小青) as Hu Xiangjun (胡湘君)

Niu Junfeng (牛骏峰) as Hu Xiangjiang (Xiaoman) (胡湘江(小满))

Liu Zhenjun (刘真君) as Liu Xiuxiu (刘秀秀)

Yang Xinming (杨新鸣) as Hu Zhangning (胡长宁)

Mou Liyan (牟丽燕) as Madam Hu Liu (胡刘氏)

Wang Caiping (王彩平) as Hu Shi granny (胡十奶奶)

Wang Yongquan (王永泉) as Wang Yongquan (王永泉)

Synopsis:

There were 22 open battles between the Chinese army and the Japanese solders, 7 of them happened in Hunan (湖南), including 4 in Changsha (长沙), 1 in Changde (常德), 1 in Hengyang (衡阳), and 1 in Xiangxi (湘西), between September 1939 and January 1942. During which, 4 million men and women joined the army. Of the whole Hunan province, 2.62 million people died, of which more than 0.9 million were civilians. 
The story took place between 1938 and 1945. In Oct 1938, the Japanese army took over Wuhan and Changsha was at stake. The Hu family tried to seek for protection in other to save their beloved youngest twin, Xiang Xiang and Xiao Man. Under an arrangement made by their grandson-in-law Xue Jun Shan, Xiang Xiang was introduced to Gu Qing Ming, the only son of a politically prominent and wealthy man with political ties to Chiang Kai-shek who has just returned from overseas. However, piquant Xiang Xiang and arrogant Gu Qing Ming started out a quarrel when they met. With no choice a different man was selected for Xiang Xiang. On the day of their engagement, Chiang Kai-shek ordered to burn Changsha to resist the attack when the Japanese closed in. Over 90% of the 2000 years old city was destroyed. Tragically, the Changsha government failed to effectively notify and vacate citizens before burning the city, over 3,000 people died in their dreams. On this burning ground, men and women from other places joined together in Changsha, Hunan, to fight the Japanese to protect their home….

Watch it here with English subs!

Raw Trailer:

OST:

Wallace Huo & Andy Yang - I Will Remember You (我会记得你)

Additional Links:

Battle of Changsha 战长沙 Viki English Subbed Episodes

Battle of Changsha 战长沙 Raw Episodes

Battle of Changsha 战长沙 Weibo Page

When He Comes Close Your Eyes 他来了请闭眼 Official Drama Thread

When A Snail Falls in Love 如果蜗牛有爱情 Official Drama Thread

Ode To Joy 2 欢乐颂 2 Official Drama Thread

The Legend of the Concubine’s Daughter Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 Official Drama Thread

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the mods. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions. PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to moderators 
angelangie l akinahana89 l LavelyShai

Ep 1 & 2 synopsis http://jolecole.blogspot.com/2014/03/episode-1-2-synopsis-for-battle-of.htmlEp 3 & 4 synopsis http://jolecole.blogspot.com/2014/03/episode-3-synopsis-of-battle-of-changsha.html

• 1 year later...
Guest Tinkiebell

I just finished watching this drama. It was so heart wrenchingly beautiful. I hope it gets more recognition that it so much deserves.

Seriously, this is a masterpiece, why aren't more people talking about this drama here? :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

I've made a dent in this one. I suppose it's a growing up story as much as a wartime survival tale. Once I got past the immaturity of the twins, and the contradictions within the Hu family, it wasn't too bad. The brother--in-law is probably the most interesting character. A crook in some ways and a strong family man in others. Despite being such a dodgy character, there's something oddly likeable about him.

I've barely seen Wallace's character thus far but it's nice to play "name-all-the-actors-from-Lang-Ya-Bang". ;)

• 1 month later...
On 10. Februar 2016 at 11:01 PM, BellyButton said:

Kristina303, what do you mean by 'openings and endings'?  Do you mean the songs?  

Um yeah the 'main themes' so to say. i mean not the OST that appears within the episode as background music but a clip with music before the episode starts (an opening) and another clip with different scenes and music at the end of an episode 8ending) :)

• 4 weeks later...

Watched this drama some time ago. Nice drama but sadly, it isn't a drama to everyone taste. Apart from Officer Gu (Wallace), i like the bro-in-law. Rough and loud exterior but actually very warm/nice guy inside him. Just see how he treats his wife. 

There are really not many war dramas that I like and that I even rewatch. Battle of Changsha is one of those dramas. I have rewatched it at least 4 times. I love to see how the characters grow and mature and how their relationships develope. Yes..there are many sad scenes, but there are also funny and some romantic ones. Most of all, I really like the ending.

• 4 months later...

@sugarplum892, thank you for starting this thread.

@BellyButton, @Asgarla, @budgerie, @Kristina303, @40somethingahjumma, @janice930201, @Tinkiebell, @thitu,

Everyone, below is a message I just got from Viki

Message from Viki.

To Battle of Changsha Fans

Dear fans Battle of Changsha. Please support us by submitting this application form for licensing this drama by viki. 
Here the link for the application form.

The form for application.

https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form

I think possibly Viki is losing some of their fans channel and need licensing for us to continue to be able to watch them.

Please submit that title request form. (see above link), as many times as you can.

Lets get this drama licensed, so that it is not lost to us, and future viewers

https://www.viki.com/tv/23324c-battle-of-changsha

https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

Thank you.

4 hours ago, BellyButton said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I have also forwarded this all Huomis from wallacehuoinfo forum.

@BellyButton, thank you.

I hope they get enough requests, so that they license the drama.

I am afraid we will lose the subs available there, if it is not licensed.

So let us all submit these requests, so that this drama is not lost to us (and future viewers)  with the subs.

• 2 weeks later...

This drama...this drama...what can I say about it...At the beginning, I thought about dropping it but I'm so glad a stuck around until the end. The second half of the series had me bawling until my eyes were puffy and red...I ended up binge watching the entire series in 2 days...I love this drama, but I don't think I could handle watching it a second time...I've got no more tears...I've grown so attached to the Hu family, that I can't go through the experience again. Just once is enough for me, but I'll always remember this series. Maybe after a few months or years when I need a good cry, I'll come back to re-watch this series. 

Archived