DO YOU HAVE HIP LENGTH HAIR? HOW DID YOU GROW IT?

asdjasdkk

I have been  trying to grow out my hair past bra strap length but it seems kinda slow lol .. I have been at the same length for how many years and I  can't seem to grow past it.. So here are my questions...
1.) How often do you trim your hair if you want to grow your hair to hip length? 
2.) Will hair grow even if it's damaged? I've read that damaged hair break thus , it will take really slow to grow it out
3.) Do you color your hair or are you natural?
4.) How long did it take  you to grow it to hip length?
5.) Do you use oils such as coconut oils or do you just use regular shampoo and conditioner? 
6.) Will hair grow even if you don't trim it ever?
only natural hair , extensions and weaves are not included 

Guest life.is.the.game

I've had hip length hair for roughly 3 years now and from my personal experience..
1. I trimmed my hair only once every year to take care of split ends and whatnot. I figured, if I'm going to grow my hair.. I'm just going to grow it out without trimming it too often. I know that it's good to trim your hair once in a while but I made sure to take care of my hair with using no heat styling products, hair masks, etc. 
2. My hair was really damaged the first year of growing it out due to hair dye. I dye my hair pretty often but then I started using hair masks twice a week (I love the Neutrogena hair mask or use coconut oil!) and hair serum/oil and after a few months it changed drastically for me. When I went to get my trim the second year my hair dresser was very surprised and didn't need to trim as much.
3. I dye my hair about 3 or 4 times a year. 
4. It took me about 1/1.5 years to grow to my hip. My hair was a little past my shoulders at first.
5. I use hair masks twice a week along with the L'oreal everpure eversleek shampoo/conditioner. I also use moroccon/argan oil after I shower.
6. After years of attempting to grow my hair out, I found that not trimming as often was trick because my hair was not being cut.. but I know it's different for everyone and that is just what worked for me. Best of luck! Hope this helped somewhat.

life.is.the.game said: I've had hip length hair for roughly 3 years now and from my personal experience..
1. I trimmed my hair only once every year to take care of split ends and whatnot. I figured, if I'm going to grow my hair.. I'm just going to grow it out without trimming it too often. I know that it's good to trim your hair once in a while but I made sure to take care of my hair with using no heat styling products, hair masks, etc. 
2. My hair was really damaged the first year of growing it out due to hair dye. I dye my hair pretty often but then I started using hair masks twice a week (I love the Neutrogena hair mask or use coconut oil!) and hair serum/oil and after a few months it changed drastically for me. When I went to get my trim the second year my hair dresser was very surprised and didn't need to trim as much.
3. I dye my hair about 3 or 4 times a year. 
4. It took me about 1/1.5 years to grow to my hip. My hair was a little past my shoulders at first.
5. I use hair masks twice a week along with the L'oreal everpure eversleek shampoo/conditioner. I also use moroccon/argan oil after I shower.
6. After years of attempting to grow my hair out, I found that not trimming as often was trick because my hair was not being cut.. but I know it's different for everyone and that is just what worked for me. Best of luck! Hope this helped somewhat.

Guest nobody knows

i personally do not have long hair, but from what i know, maximum hair length is predetermined by genetics ~
for example why if you never shave your armpit hair, it won't grow outside your sleeves and just become a hairy mess because that's a set length that it'll grow out to

for some people, it can be incredibly long, for others, maybe just somewhere along their back

I know for horses, some horse tails grow super long onto the floor and need to be trimmed otherwise they could be stepped on, but most just stop at some point before it reaches the ground and never continue growing

Hair growth is determined by a couple of factor (from my experience): genetics, physical activities, age...etc

Just a personal thing about my hair, when I was in HS, I also did gymnastics outside of school so I find long hair hard to deal with, I cut my hair every 3 months, so beginning Sept my hair is at shoulder - 1-to-2 in past shoulder length, then 3 months after, my hair would be down at my waist (think it is around 12-15" difference in 3 months)..I know I know some people must think I'm making this stuff up that hair doesn't grow that fast and it only grows [1.5in] per month (that is NOT true, it varies from people to people)...so yeah that was HS it took 3 months for me hair to go from a little past shoulder length to down my waist...then during university, it took 6 months then eventually 8 months to grow 18"...etc etc.

One thing I can conclude from all this is, I have a feeling that doing physical activities help blood flow and stimulates the scalp more (especially gymnastics I guess, because I'm usually doing handstands or going upside down, I believe that helped a lot). Then I stopped gymnastics when I went to uni and I see that my hair takes twice as long to grow..massaging the scalp of your head also helps you can try that.

1.) How often do you trim your hair if you want to grow your hair to hip length?
___Your hair grows from its roots, not the ends. I would trim as often as I see split ends, however I don't really trim my hair, maybe every 3 months or so.

2.) Will hair grow even if it's damaged? I've read that damaged hair break thus , it will take really slow to grow it out
___Hair will always be growing even if damaged, but you do want to keep your hair as healthy as possible, because if you grow a hair with split ends, the hair will grow however the split ends will keep on moving upwards and it will not look nice. I suggest stay away from straighten/curling/dying your hair as much as possible. I have really thick hair so doesn't matter if my hair is long or short I always use a blow drier, but that is it. I rarely if ever curl my hair with hot tools. Once a while is fine...but not crazy often or every other day.

3.) Do you color your hair or are you natural?___I dye my hair once in JHS to mahogany, but my hair is so dark no one really saw a difference unless I was standing under the sun. I don't dye my hair, and never dye it again.

4.) How long did it take you to grow it to hip length?
___When I was 14-18 for me to grow 15-18" of hair around 3 to 3.5 months
___When I was 18-22 same 15-18" took around 6-months depending on how short I cut it.
___Nowadays at 23+ haha 8-10 months I guess...

5.) Do you use oils such as coconut oils or do you just use regular shampoo and conditioner?
___I don't particularly use it, but I've read somewhere that it is good for the hair. I don't try it because I feel my hair grows relatively fast and I'm quite happy with it.

___Yes of course! Like I said earlier, hair grows from the ROOT not the ends. I barely trim my hair...only if I see split ends.

There are lots of hair care routines out there but my personal experience, whether it comes to hair or skin the BEST thing to do is to NOT do anything to it! I realize if I leave it alone it will be fine just the way it is. One time I remember I saw this girl's hair on youtube and she had really long hair and it was very shiny and bright and I was watching her videos trying to get my hair to be as shiny as hers then one time I saw one of her FAQ videos and when she was answering one of the questions of 'how long it took you to grow your hair hip level' and she said [2yrs]...I  immediately stopped right there and that as the end of it. My theory is I have a strong feeling that doing more physical activities can really help hair growth...I get asked by my friends a lot on how my hair grows so fast, and the top factors I can think of that separates me from them is [1] I always eat breakfast (in my entire life I don't think I ever missed a day w/o breakfast), [2] I do a lot of workouts (mainly gymnastics), and basically I try to eat as healthy as possible, I feel that that not only helped my hair grows fast, it also keeps my brain nourished and that's also how I aced through university as well. So bottom line is I would recommend a healthy lifestyle for one....and another side note is...I also think a lot, I don't know if that helps with the hair growth process...but when I say I think/daydream a lot I do mean a LOT...

Guest palmsizedtiger

I just put in extensions lol
1.) How often do you trim your hair if you want to grow your hair to hip length? When I did have naturally long hair in high school, I got it trimmed maybe an inch or two every like 4 months. 
2.) Will hair grow even if it's damaged? I've read that damaged hair break thus , it will take really slow to grow it outYes, your hair will grow if it is damaged, I have bleached the richard simmons out of my hair and it took me around a year to get it silky smooth and healthy again, but it would grow at the same rate. 
3.) Do you color your hair or are you natural?I color my hair brown 
4.) How long did it take  you to grow it to hip length?It probably took me around 4 years?
5.) Do you use oils such as coconut oils or do you just use regular shampoo and conditioner? I use hair masques and something from garnier that is a spray that has olive oil, macadamia oil and sunflower oil. I use Clear shampoo and conditioner. I do not use keratin.  
6.) Will hair grow even if you don't trim it ever?Lol yes it will. 

Guest ladyluckk

I cut my hair back in November, but before that my hair was almost at hip length. I actually didn't trim it at all LOL, the last time I'd cut my hair was a year and a half before that. My hair was pretty healthy; barely any split ends, no dye, and I used a curling iron maybe twice a month? 
I've always been sporting the long hair so I can't really give you an exact answer on how long it took me to grow it out. Within that year and a half though, my hair probably grew around 5-6 inches. My hair grows super slow haha, it'll be different for everyone! 

It took me about 2 1/2-3 years for me to grow a little shorter than shoulder length hair down to my hips with two small haircuts in between. I only cut off 2-3 inches for those hair cuts. My hair got really damaged because I dyed my hair three times and also curled and blow dried it a lot. I never trimmed it despite how bad my split ends were though lol. Tbh, I probably could have taken a lott better care of my hair by using hair masks and stuff, but all I did to it was use conditioner and Biosilk Silk Therapy. Those didn't really help my already super damaged hair but I just dealt with it because I loved having long hair. 
I recently cut my hair to medium length and I miss my hair so much. It was just so damaged that I couldn't handle it anymore (although it's already getting so many split ends again). I just think my hair's really damage prone.. Best of luck to growing your hair out! 

ladyluckk said: I cut my hair back in November, but before that my hair was almost at hip length. I actually didn't trim it at all LOL, the last time I'd cut my hair was a year and a half before that. My hair was pretty healthy; barely any split ends, no dye, and I used a curling iron maybe twice a month? 
I've always been sporting the long hair so I can't really give you an exact answer on how long it took me to grow it out. Within that year and a half though, my hair probably grew around 5-6 inches. My hair grows super slow haha, it'll be different for everyone! 

Guest nana544

Not applicable, since I don't let my hair grows to my hip.

Yes, but very very slowly.

3.) Do you color your hair or are you natural?

My hair is all natural. I don't want to pollute it. Well, it's more that I like the natural color of it. I have light brown hair.

4.) How long did it take  you to grow it to hip length?
When I was in middle-high school, it takes months.

Regular shampoo---Clean and Clear product if I remember it correctly. I only used conditional once or twice a week. Although I heard those India shampoo does helps your hair grow, but the liquid smells. My aunt try it and her hair was very long to her butt. I was impressed!

No, you will just have dead hair.

Maybe you should try the India shampoo, google it or go to your local India store and ask them for it.

make sure your scalp is healthy and clean (i use clean & clear and neutrogena Tgel). You can also take biotin supplements. there are also certain foods that you can eat to help it (google). But everyone's hair grows at a different pace. Make sure you trim dead hair/split ends away.

3.) Do you color your hair or are you natural?I have black hair with some strands in my hair look brown under the sun. Natural colour from asian genetics haha.
4.) How long did it take  you to grow it to hip length?My mum cut a huge chunk of my hair last year ( I was not happy because I can't tie my hair in one place because where I live it's rainy and windy), so about one and a half year to get to from shoulder hair length to hip length.
5.) Do you use oils such as coconut oils or do you just use regular shampoo and conditioner? None to oils, I just wash daily with either shampoo or/both conditioner and eat plenty of nutritious food and water.
6.) Will hair grow even if you don't trim it ever?Of course hair will grow if you don't trim it. Just don't trim like 2-5cm per month as you will feel that your hair hasn't grown. I suggest only trimming when you notice heaps of split ends. Hair grows on average 1-2cm per month.

Comb your hair daily from bottom to top. If you are stressed, hair might not grow that fast
I've never tried dying my hair but would love to have a dark black - red shine someday haha.

goguma_happiness said: 1.) How often do you trim your hair if you want to grow your hair to hip length? 
3.) Do you color your hair or are you natural?I have black hair with some strands in my hair look brown under the sun. Natural colour from asian genetics haha.
4.) How long did it take  you to grow it to hip length?My mum cut a huge chunk of my hair last year ( I was not happy because I can't tie my hair in one place because where I live it's rainy and windy), so about one and a half year to get to from shoulder hair length to hip length.
5.) Do you use oils such as coconut oils or do you just use regular shampoo and conditioner? None to oils, I just wash daily with either shampoo or/both conditioner and eat plenty of nutritious food and water.
6.) Will hair grow even if you don't trim it ever?Of course hair will grow if you don't trim it. Just don't trim like 2-5cm per month as you will feel that your hair hasn't grown. I suggest only trimming when you notice heaps of split ends. Hair grows on average 1-2cm per month.

Comb your hair daily from bottom to top. If you are stressed, hair might not grow that fast
I've never tried dying my hair but would love to have a dark black - red shine someday haha.

• 5 months later...
Guest jaejae86

My hair is 28 inches long (right above my butt)

I stared growing my hair 2 years ago I started with hair that was to the middle of my back

I have dyed my black hair brown once so far in my life

Here are my tips:

Brushing:

-Brush your hair before showering and don't brush it again until your hair is completely dry.

Shampoo:

I can not stress how important it is to choose a good shampoo.  Its the key to a good hair day and can make your hair super soft and shiny. 

Here are some good shampoo and conditioners that I've tried:(listed in order from fav to least)

-Mane n' tail ( really helps with hair growth)

-Suave rosemary+mint

-Suave almond+shea butter

-Clear therapy

-Herbal essences coconut milk

-Herbal essences citrus lift

-Herbal essences rose

Mini Deep condition:(define: keeping conditioner in hair for long time like a hair mask)

Mini deep condition where I first shampoo my hair then I leave my conditioner in for the rest of the shower til I finish everything then I wash it out.  (Even better if you take long baths)

Drying hair:

-I don't blowdry my hair I towel dry it then air dry it. I really encourage towel drying because it cuts down your blowdrying time if you cant air dry your hair.

Hair products:

-The hair chemist macadamia oil hair mask (use once a week) and serum.

Hair mask-

Once a week I take 3 tbsp olive oil (you may use other oils) and wet my hair then apply to my scalp and then use the rest on the length of my hair. Leave in for 15mins then wash out.

DO NOT USE HEAT TOOLS

Bonus:

Use methods to speed up your hair growth

-Use growth shampoo (Mane N'  Tail)

-mustard hair mask (use once a month)

-massage scalp

(Brush or run your hand through you hair when watching tv or in class Etc)

Archived