UPDATED- Mean Girls cast reunite 10 years after comedy classic's release

sugarplum892

Lindsay Lohan reunites with Mean Girls co-star ahead of 10th anniversary

Lindsay Lohan reunited with Mean Girls co-star Daniel Franzese last night (February 5) and shared the photo with fans on her Instagram page.
The pair are pictured posing together outside a bar during a night out in New York, with Lohan captioning it: "@whatsupdanny #soquiche #werknyc"
article-0-1B3AE3E700000578-939_634x632.j

The 27-year-old actress played Cady Heron in the cult teen movie alongside Franzese, who played loveable high school friend Damian.
The 2004 film, which also starred Amanda Seyfried, Tina Fey and Rachel McAdams, celebrates its tenth anniversary later this year.

'Mean Girls' still

Following its successful release, Lohan has gone on to star in films such as Bobby, Machete and most recently Scary Movie 5 with Charlie Sheen. 
Meanwhile, 35-year-old Franzese has appeared in TV series Burn Notice and horror flick I Spit on Your Grave.
Lohan announced at the Sundance Film Festival last month that she will star in and produce psychological thriller Inconceivable. 
The $5 million movie, produced by Emmett/Furla Films, is keeping plot details under wraps.
A Mean Girls-themed jewelry line was unveiled earlier this year to celebrate the film's upcoming anniversary.

Source

Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Seyfried: Mean Girls cast 10 years on - then & now
Lindsay Lohan has renuited with former Mean Girls co-star Daniel Franzese as the cult film approaches its 10th anniversary.
We take a rather fond and fetch trip down memory lane to see what the comedy's central stars - including Lacey Chabert and Lizzy Caplan - have gone on to do a decade later:
Lacey Chabert
Film and Television Mean Girls, Lacey Chabert, Rachel Mcadams, Amanda Seyfried 2004 People StyleWatch Denim Party, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, America - 19 Sep 2013 Lacey Chabert 19 Sep 2013

Lacey Chabert plays runt of The Plastics litter and Toaster Strudel princess Gretchen Wieners. 
The 31-year-old star, who famously played Claudia Salinger in cult series Party of Five from 1994 to 2000, has also appeared in Ghosts of Girlfriends Past with Matthew McConaughey and provided the voice of Family Guy's Meg Griffin before Mila Kunis took over.
Tim Meadows
Tim Meadows, Mean Girls Museum of the Moving Image honors Katie Couric, New York, America - 05 May 2010Tim Meadows 5 May 2010

Tim Meadows stars as democratic principal Mr Duvall, who attempts to restore calm when pages of the infamous Burn book rear their ugly heads.
Following the film's release, 53-year-old comedy writer and actor Meadows has starred in the Mean Girls TV movie sequel, Adam Sandler's Jack and Jill, Grown Ups and its follow-up. The star also made a guest appearance in Tina Fey's hit comedy TV series 30 Rock.
Rachel McAdams
Rachel McAdams as Regina George in 'Mean Girls' Rachel McAdams attends the 'About Time' premiere in Germany.

Rachel McAdams plays lead Plastic Regina George, the 'cold, shiny, hard' queen bee of North Shore High. 
Canadian actress McAdams has starred in a series of successful movies since, including Ryan Gosling tear-jerker The Notebook, Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes and Woody Allen's Oscar-winning Midnight in Paris.
Tina Fey'Mean Girls' still Tina Fey, wearing Narciso Rodriguez, arrive at the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards at Nokia Theatre on Sunday Sept. 22, 2013, in Los Angeles

Tina Fey penned the movie's screenplay and plays the endearing yet dorky teacher Ms Norbury. 
The comedy writer and actress created hit NBC US sitcom 30 Rock and recently presented the Golden Globes along with Mean Girls co-star Amy Poehler for the second year running. It has been announced that the duo will host the annual awards ceremony again in 2015.
Amy PoehlerFilm and Television Mean Girls, Amy Poehler 2004 Amy Poehler at the 71st Golden Globe Awards

Musing "you girls keep me so young" as her pet chihuahua chews on her breast implants is our most vivid memory of Amy Poehler's pink velour tracksuit-clad Mrs George (aka Regina's mom).
Along with co-hosting the Golden Globes with Tina Fey, Poehler has also appeared in cult comedy Arrested Development, and hit series Parks and Recreation.
Ana GasteyerAna Gasteyer, Mean Girls 2004 Ana Gasteyer attends the "Fun Size" Los Angeles Premiere at Paramount Studios on Thursday, October 25, 2012 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Todd Williamson/Invision/AP Images)

Ana Gasteyer stars as Cady's free-spirited and unconventional mom.
The 46-year-old actress appeared in a series of Saturday Night Live shows from 1996 to 2012, as well as Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm, Adam Sandler's That's My Boy and award-winning drama The Good Wife.
Lizzy Caplan'Mean Girls' still 71st Annual Golden Globe Awards, Warner Bros and InStyle After Party, Los Angeles, America - 12 Jan 2014 Lizzy Caplan 12 Jan 2014

Lizzy Caplan plays strong-willed Janis Ian - who says it exactly how it is with one-liners such as the memorable "you smell like a baby prostitute". She attempts to topple The Plastics and put an end to their bitchy reign of terror.
Following Mean Girls, the 31-year-old US actress has appeared as Amy Burley in HBO vampire series True Blood, in Danny Boyle's Oscar-nominated 127 Hours, and in Showtime's Masters of Sex with Michael Sheen.
Neil FlynnNeil Flynn mean girls The Academy Of Television Arts & Sciences Presents An Evening With 'The Middle', Los Angeles, America - 26 Mar 2012 Neil Flynn 26 Mar 2012

Neil Flynn stars as Cady's slightly clueless yet good-intentioned father.
The 53-year-old actor and comedian is famous for his role as the janitor in hospital comedy Scrubs and also stars as dad Mike Heck in semi-dysfunctional family sitcom The Middle.
Jonathan Bennett'Mean Girls' still Jonathan Bennett Audrina Patridge on the cover of Runway magazine party, New York, America - 23 Mar 2011

Jonathan Bennett plays Cady's dreamy love interest Aaron Samuels, whose hair - Cady comments - looks oh so "sexy pushed back".
The 32-year-old actor has appeared in TV series Veronica Mars as Casey Gant and last year shared a picture of himself sporting a 'Go to Jail Lindsay' T-shirt online while his former Mean Girls co-star Lohan was in a court-ordered rehab session at the Betty Ford Center as part of her plea deal for reckless driving and lying to police.
Daniel Franzese'Mean Girls' still The 5th Annual Toscars, Los Angeles, America - 21 Feb 2012 Daniel Franzese 21 Feb 2012

Daniel Franzese played the loveable and loyal Damian - who effortlessly insults a girl in the ladies' loo with one of our favorite lines: "Oh my God Danny DeVito, I love your work!"
The 35-year-old actor has since appeared in TV series Burn Notice and horror flick I Spit on Your Grave.
Amanda Seyfried'Mean Girls' still Amanda Seyfried Cle de Peau Beaute cosmetics Press Conference, Seoul, South Korea - 04 Dec 2013

Amanda Seyfried stars as Plastic Karen Smith, predicting the weather by the power of her breasts.
The 28-year-old actress is a big Hollywood star and has since featured in Mamma Mia!, Les Misérables and Lovelace. She also appeared in HBO's hit Mormon series Big Love with Chloe Sevigny.
Rajiv SurendraRajiv Surendra, mean girls Rajiv Surendra Charles Quiles

Mean Girls remains his main acting credit to date and the star most recently reappeared in a series of shirtless portraits for photographer Charles Quiles.
Oooh, Kevin G!
Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan, Mean Girls  	PARK CITY, UT - JANUARY 20: Actress Lindsay Lohan attends the Lindsay Lohan Press Conference at Social Film Loft during the 2014 Park City on January 20, 2014 in Park City, Utah.

And last but by no means least, lead Mean Girls star Lindsay Lohan, who plays good-girl-gone-bad-goes-good-again-in-the-end Cady Heron.
After numerous arrests, court appearances, court-ordered rehab sessions and serving a whopping 84 minutes in prison, Lohan has gone on to star in Just My Luck, Bobby, Machete and Scary Movie 5 with Charlie Sheen.
The actress also played Elizabeth Taylor in the critically panned TV movie Liz & richard simmons and recently announced that she will star in and produce psychological thriller Inconceivable.
Source

Lindsay Lohan was meant to play Regina in Mean Girls, says director
Mean Girls director Mark Waters has revealed that Lindsay Lohan was not originally intended for the film's main role.
Lohan starred as homeschooled Cady in the 2004 high school comedy, which marks its 10th anniversary this year.

'Mean Girls' still

However, Waters explained that Lohan was originally meant to play Plastics leader Regina George, after working with her on 2003's Freaky Friday.
"Her energy is a very aggressive, testosterone-laden energy, and that's exactly what I knew I needed for Regina George," he told Vulture. 
"When I gave it to her, she was like, 'I f**king love Regina George! This is exactly the part I want to play.' So we did a read-through, and we were trying to look for somebody to play the role of Cady, but frankly, we didn't find anyone we liked who felt strong enough to go up against Lindsay." 
However, Paramount bosses wanted to place Lohan in the lead role after Freaky Friday became a success.
"Lindsay kind of begrudgingly said, 'OK, I guess I'll play the lead. At least I get to have more lines.'"
'Mean Girls' still

Meanwhile, Rachel McAdams first read for the part of Cady. He said: "I told her, 'I think you're a movie star, but you're too old for this character. You just aren't going to be able to play the ingénue.'" 
McAdams also beat Amanda Seyfried to the role of Regina, with the latter eventually playing ditsy Karen.
"When Lindsay was acting with Rachel, she got very shy because Rachel was older and a very accomplished actress," Waters added.
"She'd come in the room and not talk to Lindsay - she was very focused. Lindsay kind of got nervous around her, and I thought that, more than anything, was going to be the deciding factor, the fact that she affected Lindsay in that way."
Source

Guest Inconnu

To be honest, I think the cast and role choices were AMAZING.

It's also perfect that Lindsay was intimidated by Rachel which can play out well
in the movie considering Cady was pretty scared of Regina at first too. :P

• 1 month later...

Tina Fey clarifies Mean Girls reunion rumors: 'Definitely no movie'
Tina Fey has clarified that there will be no Mean Girls reunion movie.
Star Lindsay Lohan fuelled rumors of some sort of 10th anniversary project on The Tonight Show last week, when she revealed that she'd been approached by Fey.
'Mean Girls' still

The Mean Girls writer has since clarified that she has no interest at all in writing a follow-up film.
"[There's] definitely not a movie," Fey told Access Hollywood. "It's just the anniversary is coming up, so everybody get your pink shirts. It's been 10 years. You can tell when you look at me it's been 10 years."
Fey added that a 10th anniversary commemoration could take some other form.
'Mean Girls' still

She explained: "I saw [Lindsay] at the first episode of The Tonight Show. We did that bit with Jimmy, and I said to her, 'Oh, I think someone may call us about doing some kind of reunion because next month is the tenth anniversary of the movie.' And so really… if everyone's around we might try to do some kind of like panel discussion. 
"But it's not like - it's not another movie. At most it would be like a panel discussion with a plate of hot wings."
Lindsay Lohan reunites with Daniel Franzese and Rajiv Surendra
Lindsay Lohan reunites with Daniel Franzese and Rajiv Surendra

Lohan recently reunited with co-stars Daniel Franzese and Rajiv Surendra for a group picture.
Jennifer Aniston is currently in talks for a role in Mean Girls author Rosalind Wiseman's new movie Mean Moms.
Source

• 2 months later...

Amanda Seyfried on Mean Girls anniversary: "It's gone into history"
Amanda Seyfried has been reminiscing about her role in Mean Girls.
The actress, who played ditsy Karen Smith in the teen comedy, said that she is flattered by the continued love shown by fans ten years on from the film's release.
Amanda Seyfried 'Mean Girls' still

"I check my retweets sometimes," she admitted during an appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon yesterday (May 22).
"I usually only get like 50-100, which is good, I guess. But when I tweeted, 'On Wednesdays, we wear pink', I got like 18,000 retweets. How crazy is that?"
28-year-old Seyfried went on to describe the movie's creator, comedian Tina Fey, as a "genius", adding that she believes the film has now "gone into history".
She also revealed that she has more in common with her character than first appears.

Amanda Seyfried Karen Smith, Mean Girls

[Karen] can tell the weather by feeling herself up," the Les Miserables star explained, before confessing that as a child she dreamed of being a meteorologist.
"I didn't realize you had to be smart," she joked. "About the time Twister came out with Helen Hunt - my idol - I would dress up in these little khaki shorts and this wife-beater and go outside and try to figure out what was happening in the clouds.
"I had this big weather binder, a collection of printed-out articles about weather. Some kids do drugs. I printed out information about cumulus clouds and anvils and such."
Seyfried was recently cast as Mary in Warner Bros Studios' forthcoming live adaptation of Peter Pan.
The Joe Wright-helmed project is also set to star Rooney Mara as Tiger Lily and Hugh Jackman as Blackbeard.

Source

• 5 months later...

Mean Girls cast reunite 10 years after comedy classic's release
The cast of Mean Girls have reunited 10 years after the comedy classic's cinema debut.
Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Amanda Seyfried, Lacey Chabert, and star-creator Tina Fey assembled for Entertainment Weekly's 'Reunions Issue' to reminisce about the 2004 movie.
Mean Girls reunion for Entertainment Weekly

Fey admitted that there were early plans for a sequel after the success of the film.
"At the time we did want to start the conversation about the sequel, and for whatever reason I was like, 'No! We shouldn't do that!'" she revealed. "Now I look back and I'm like, 'Why?' But now, no - it's too late now."
Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Seyfried: Mean Girls cast 10 years on - then & nowYou can't sit with us! Mean Girls turns 10 - 22 most fetch moments
A TV movie sequel was eventually produced in 2011 without the involvement of any of the original leads or filmmakers.
The Mean Girls cast also divulged what they thought their characters would be doing today:
Lindsay Lohan / Cady Heron
 	PARK CITY, UT - JANUARY 20: Actress Lindsay Lohan attends the Lindsay Lohan Press Conference at Social Film Loft during the 2014 Park City on January 20, 2014 in Park City, Utah. Lindsay Lohan, Mean Girls
"Cady's with Oprah in Africa working at children's schools with a family, teaching girls to be nice to each other."

Rachel McAdams / Regina George
Rachel McAdams attends the 'About Time' premiere in Germany. Rachel McAdams as Regina George in 'Mean Girls'
"Regina is a Real Housewife. She'd have too much time on her hands, for sure. She's probably found all her other Reginas"
Amanda Seyfried / Karen Smith
Amanda Seyfried Cle de Peau Beaute cosmetics Press Conference, Seoul, South Korea - 04 Dec 2013 'Mean Girls' still

"Karen would manage or own a store that sells really cool dog attire, like Swarovski dog collars and Halloween costumes for animals. She's probably really focused."
Lacey Chabert / Gretchen Wieners
People StyleWatch Denim Party, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, America - 19 Sep 2013 Lacey Chabert 19 Sep 2013 Film and Television Mean Girls, Lacey Chabert, Rachel Mcadams, Amanda Seyfried 2004

"Gretchen is probably running the Toaster Strudel empire. She is probably married and has, like, seven babies right now. She and Jason worked it out. She has very big curly hair."
Source

Archived