Asking crush to be my valentines via text?

yokoya LL

Hey guys, I'm planning to send my crush this on valentines day: "Happy Valentines Day_________! Will you be my valentine? :)" He's 26 years old. I met him at a volunteer event. I'm 20. He's holidaying in Japan right now. We aren't that close but he made me laugh heaps during the time volunteering we spent together. He also likes a lot of my facebook statuses, and Instagram photos if that means anything haha. Besides that we haven't actually hung out together or anything. He's also single. So, how do you think he'll feel upon receiving this text? Is it enough to get the ball rolling? Also he'd usually advertise me to people whenever we volunteer. He'll always be like "SHE's single and available guys! She sings and plays the guitar! She's got a pretty smile!" Would a guy actually do this if he's interested in you? Like compliment you in a subtle way and then just direct you at other people? He's super nice. Man I'm confused...does he like me?

Guest alphaoxytocin

Go after what you want. I like that you have courage to plan something like that, especially for a girl. So props for that!
Unfortunately, nobody is a mind-reader, so nobody can know for sure what his reactions will be. But only you have the best gut feelings about this. From what you described though, I say go for it! If he took the time to read your Facebook status, at least that means there is positive feedback from him. Most guys don't waste their time interacting with girls that they would never give a chance to.
Again, I respect your courage. Don't ever change that! Good luck!

Thanks alphaoxytocin, I appreciate it. I just have a couple of questions though if you put yourself in his shoes... 1. How would you feel about a younger girl sending you a valentines text? The guy is 26 and I'm 20. The text is pretty innocent anyway, just "happy valentines and will you be my valentine" And 2. If you liked a girl would you go around teasing her about being "single and available" given that you are also single yourself? He does it playfully though. Or is he trying to indicate that he has no interest in me.

Guest alphaoxytocin

I believe at the age of 26, that age gap shouldn't be a big deal to most men, as long as you're not underage! Love has no boundaries... except the ones set up by law. :D
It is always highly likely that one does the opposite to hide his true feelings. People have the tendency to hide their feelings and they do so by acting the opposite way. Here is an interesting (random) example. Psychological research has support that men who are highly homophobic are actually suppressing their own homosexual feelings. Sometimes you CANNOT analyze someone and reason DIRECTLY based on what they do or express on the surface. This can hold true for romantic feelings as well. It is common for guys to pretend to others (or even the girl) that he has no interest in her in order to feel "safe", especially if he is unclear about his chances of success with the girl or feels that his risk of rejection is high. This means that if you never showed any signs of interest or liking towards him, then it is possible that he may be scared to show his and pretends he has no interest at all.
Again, nobody knows his true feelings for sure, and sometimes the first-person himself may not know/pinpoint his true feelings. You would have to just do your part and give it your best shot.

Archived