[Mainland Chinese Drama 2015] Cruel Romance 錦繡緣•華麗冒險 - Chapter 6 (5) translated!

sugarplum892

Guest QinYiY

Wow, this drama looks good!! and Joe chen is very pretty in here! 
@sugarplum892 do you know where I can read the actual book of cruel romance online?

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QinYiY said: Wow, this drama looks good!! and Joe chen is very pretty in here! 
@sugarplum892 do you know where I can read the actual book of cruel romance online? sorry for the late reply but did you mean the Chinese version?  You can find the Chinese version if you search around online.  If you mean the English version, so far there is none.  There is one that I am copying & pasting from a blog that is ongoing.
winwetty said:looking forward to this drama..
@sugarplum892 hope you will continue posting with the novel translation..
Yes, I'll continue posting them as they are being translated

@winwetty new part up!

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 2 (1)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

***To clarify: Zuo Zhen (aka Er Ye, which means Second Master), Xiang Ying Dong (aka Ying Shao, which means Master Ying)***

When Jin Xiu awoke, she felt pain in her head, her body was numb and even her hands felt so heavy that she couldn’t lift them up.

What place is this? An extravagant crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling, surrounding walls were covered in floral wallpaper, a window was facing the sunset, snow white curtains fluttering in the breeze. The blanket caressing her was made of silk, soft and comfortable, the flower vase at her bed had stalks of gardenia, the petals pearly white, scent enveloping her senses.

Was she dreaming? Jin Xiu looked about, confused, there was no one around, it was quiet. Using her strength to raise her hand and touch her head, she was surprised to find it was covered with a layer of gauze. Then this wasn’t a dream, someone saved her, and took care of her wounds.

Not long after, she heard the sound of the door opening, a middle aged lady came in, seeing that Jin Xiu was awake, she seemed ecstatic, “Lady, you’ve finally woken up, you’ve been out for a day and night, I was so worried. How is it, do you feel better?” Jin Xiu fought to get up but felt a sharp pain in her hand and fell back onto the pillow.

“Don’t move!” That woman hurriedly pressed her down, “Lie down and rest well, I only came in to check if you had woken up.”

Jin Xiu weakly spoke, “Are you the one who saved me?”

That woman was stunned,”No, Ying Shao ordered to arrange a room for you and get a physician, I was also unaware.”

“Ying Shao?”

Jin Xiu felt that this name was familiar, outside Yin’s residence, that man was also called “Ying Shao”, perhaps in Shanghai, there were plenty of people named “Ying Shao”. “Could I ask, what place is this?”

“Lion Grove,” that woman smiled as she replied, “Lion Grove Hotel. Lady you’re considered lucky, to meet Ying Shao. The rooms her are really expensive!”

“What!” Jin Xiu was shocked, “I don’t even have a coin!”

“Don’t panic,” that women hurriedly tried to calm her, “This place belongs to Ying Shao, why would he take money from you? If he wanted money he wouldn’t take you here.”

Jin Xiu heaved a sigh of relief, but suddenly felt uneasy, “How could I impose?”

“Since you’ve woken up, eat something first.” That woman changed the subject, “Milk or porridge?” Hunger burned in her stomach and caused her to feel numb, with bitterness in her mouth.

“Then….anything would do.” Jin Xiu followed up gratefully, “Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it, lady, anyway Ying Shao ordered us to take care of her. I’m just an employee, you can call me Auntie Lan.”

Listening to the sound of Auntie Lan closing the door, Jin Xiu felt as though the gratefulness she felt was about to burst out of her. Who was Ying Shao? This kindness and care, how could she possibly repay him?

This moment, Xiang Ying Dong and Zuo Zhen were walking out of Hua Long Bank together. Xiang Ying Dong asked as they walked, “Yesterday Tang Hai sent that beggar girl to Lion Grove and wanted me to arrange a room, get a physician and said it was your orders. Since when do you care about matters not relating to you?”

Zuo Zhen replied, “Looks like you’ve forgotten, two days ago at Ming Zhu’s place, this girl ran out and knocked onto you, you were so touchy with her and scared her half to death, why, you can’t recall it now?”

“It’s her?” A look of astonishment came across Xiang Ying Dong’s face, “It should be someone related to Ming Zhu, looks like they fell out. But it was barely two to three days ago and she had to resort to living on the streets and begging for food?”

Zuo Zhen had already walked to his car, Tang Hai hurriedly put the coat he was holding onto Zuo Zhen’s shoulders, while pulling open the car door, “Er Ye please.”

“Since she was related to Ming Zhu, better to ask for her opinion.” Before Zuo Zhen got onto the car, the side of his mouth curled up into a teasing smile, “Anything that has to do with Ming Zhu, can’t possibly be considered meddling right, Ying Dong.”

Xiang Ying Dong’s assistant had also opened the door and was waiting for him, heard him mumble, “Had the Sun Wu Kong from 800 years ago reincarnated and was his surname now Zuo?” He was extremely interested in Ming Zhu but that was big boss’s woman, he couldn’t even get close, even his small bit of intention couldn’t escape Zuo Zhen’s eyes? His pair of eyeballs were simply too poisonous.

“Where to, Ying Shao?” the chauffeur asked.

Xiang Ying Dong raised his spirits, “Back to Lion Grove to take a look.” He wanted to know, that girl who had landed in his hands time and again, what was her relationship with Yin Ming Zhu?

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 2 (2)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

Jin Xin downed a full bowl of century egg and lean meat porridge and started her praises, “Auntie Lan, your skills are sufficient to be the head chef of Lion Grove, even a bowl of porridge can be so tasty.”

Auntie smiled so widely that her eyes crinkled into lines, “Lion Grove is a top notch place, if we only sold century egg and lean meat porridge, wouldn’t it become a porridge shop?”

Jin Xiu curiously widened her eyes, “A famous, top place? Auntie Lan, what is most well-known about this place?”

“Let me answer this question for you.” Xiang Ying Dong’s voice drifted in from the doorway.

Auntie Lan was so shocked she immediately stood up, her back curved ninety degrees as she greeted, “Ying Shao!”

Jin Xiu was also stunned. Ying Shao, he was the Ying Shao Auntie Lan mentioned, how could there be anything so coincidental on this earth?

“You may leave.” Xiang Ying Dong waved off Auntie Lan, walked to the bed, looked down upon Jin Xiu, “Tsk, a fine looking face, beaten into pulp. Staring at me like this, you don’t recognise me?” His handsome face had a careless smirk, gazing at Jin Xiu teasingly.

Jin Xiu’s face suddenly turned red. Xiang Ying Dong’s gaze and intention, she had already experience it at the Yin Residence, memory still fresh in her mind, it was impossible to beat. She had never met such a man, such an evil aura, completely dispensing with manners and rules, as though with his eyes, he could manipulate woman, leaving one embarrassed and confused, but impossible to get angry with him.

Should have said a word of thanks to him, but this moment words seemed to be stuck in her throat, impossible to emerge, unable to swallow.”A few days ago, you went over to Ming Zhu’s, what was it about?” He wasn’t intending to beat around the bush, “And you’re in this state after after a few days. Could you have offended Ming Zhu and thus being punished by her?”

Jin Xiu didn’t know what to make of this audacious man, she coughed, calmed down and replied, “It has nothing to do with Ming Zhu, there’s nothing going on between us.”

“Oh really?” Xiang Ying Dong was certain that their relationship couldn’t possibly be “nothing”, he bent down, flirtatiously gazing into Jin Xiu’s eyes, “You sure don’t seem like an expert at lying.”

Jin Xiu started to feel faint. He was too close to her, facing that pair of eyes, Jin Xiu felt like a scared sparrow under the claws of a falcon, as though he even knew the number of eyelashes she had.

The debt collector came by to collect our debts, Big mother, brought younger brother and took away the last bit of money in the house, secretly returning to her old home in Xiang Shan, leaving me behind, unable to pay up and even the house was repossessed. There was really no other way, but to listen to third uncle and look for Ming Zhu in Shanghai.

“I counted on the fact that we were sisters and thought I would be able to stay for a few days, Shanghai is a big place and perhaps I could find something to do here. I did not expect that even though the Rong family had disintegrated, the hatred that Ming Zhu had for the Rong family had not dissipated, and I was thus rejected.”

Xiang Ying Dong listened intently, his expression seemingly solemn. He had known that Ming Zhu had an unhappy past but it was only know that he knew the details of it.

Even though Jin Xiu’s face was covered in bruises, her temples swollen, her lips cracked and looked pathetic, but he could still see the resemblance she had to Ming Zhu. The happenings at the Yin residence that day could also prove that her story was true.

“Actually, Ming Zhu can’t be blamed.” Jin Xiu sighed softly, “I made a mistake by coming to Shanghai. These few days wandering about on the streets, I thought about how Ming Zhu must have felt so despondent when she came here many years ago, and she was only a child then. If it were me, I would still carry that hatred within me.”

Xiang Ying Dong got to his feet and walked to the window, his back facing her.

“Perhaps Ming Zhu only did that in a fit of anger, after a few days, when she has thought it through, I will help you to put in a good word.”

“Thank you, Ying Shao.” Jin Xiu finally offered her thanks. “But you don’t have to trouble yourself. Ming Zhu’s personality is stubborn, she would not change her mind simply based off the words of others. Even though I’m here, it’s just temporary, when my wounds are better, I’ll make other plans.”

Xiang Ying Dong laughed, “You think I can’t afford to feed a small thing like you? You probably won’t even eat three bowls of rice in a day.”

“But I can’t possibly laze around on this bed for the rest of my life.” Jin Xiu smiled, “Anyway, I wouldn’t want to become your burden.”

“No matter what, just focus on getting better, I’ll make plans for you.”

After listening to this, Jin Xiu felt a warmth spread through her heart, as though rushing to her eyes, even her nose felt a sourish tang. She hurriedly turned away, she couldn’t cry any more, this year she seemed to have shed too many tears, what for? Who could she truly rely on on earth, besides herself, there was no one.

As for this man before her, he was so handsome, distinguished tall and righteous, just like a deity among the clouds, glowing. Although he teased her, and seemed uninhibited, but during her most dangerous moment, he reached out to her with a helping hand. Thinking about how he personally saved her from her misery, Jin Xiu felt vast warmth and gratefulness, just that she was so small and insignificant, her this bit of gratefulness, to someone like him who was on a pedestal, it wouldn’t count for much.

The next night, Zhen Feng Bai Le Men Night Club hosted an extravagant banquet.

In the Osmanthus private room, toasts were exchanged and everyone was dressed to the nines. Zuo Zhen had just exchanged a round of toasts and walked over to the sofa to rest against it, Xiang Ying Dong was there too. Thinking of what had happened yesterday, he told Zuo Zhen, “That lady was who beaten up is Rong Jin Xiu, Ming Zhu’s younger sister. Just that Ming Zhu refuses to acknowledge her.”

Zuo Zhen lightly raised his brows, in a questioning manner.Xiang Ying Dong recounted the story to Zuo Zhen, “….like this. I couldn’t tell that Ming Zhu had such a tough upbringing. But Rong Ming Zhu is quite pitiful, she almost lost her life.”Zuo Zhen swirled the drink in his transparent long stemmed glass.

“She seems fairly sensible.” This was Zuo Zhen’s judgement, “At least she didn’t cry and beg, or insist on staying.” After being chased onto the streets and being bullied, almost losing her life, yet she is not despondent, and not at all resentful of Ming Zhu, this girl isn’t annoying.

“What do you plan to do with her?” Xiang Ying Dong threw the pressing matter at hand back to Zuo Zhen,”Picking up trouble and leaving it at my place, then washing your hands off it? Can’t possibly let her continue wandering around right.”

Zuo Zhen had a wait and see attitude, unworried. “Let see what she plans for herself. For Ming Zhu’s sake, we can’t possibly throw her out onto the streets to die.”

• 4 weeks later...

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 2 (3)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

Three days later.

The bruises and swell on Jin Xiu’s face, after much careful healing, had greatly subsided, only the sprain on her left ankle was more serious, it was inconvenient for her to get around and she had to rely on crutches.

When Xiang Ying Dong came around, Jin Xiu was practicing walking in the house.

“Can’t wait to get off the bed.” Xiang Ying Dong called out from the door,”You’re bored?”

“Ying Shao!” Jin Xiu was surprised, hurriedly turning around. “You’re here!” Over these few days, Xiang Ying Dong came by a total of three times, he only casually chatted before leaving. But every time she saw him, Jin Xiu was filled with joy. And when he wasn’t around, days were filled with light anticipation.

JinXiu wasn’t an idiot. At this age, she knew that longing for someone like this, her heart thudding in excitement for him even a fool would know what it meant. That’s right, she liked him.

The way he spoke and the tone of his voice,was strangely embedded in her mind. His expressions, she ran through them time and again in her mind, even imitating his sinister laughter to no one in particular. Even the buds of cigarettes he smoked were carefully taken out of the ashtray and added to her collection.

She knew she could never have him. He was a born charmer, irresitible to all women. But it all seemed as though she was under a spell, her soul losing all sense of logic. What Xiang Ying Dong’s status was, she didn’t truly comprehend, but his noble qualities, generous nature and his attention to detail. As for the people working under him, everyone was reverent and respectful towards him–All these showed that he was someone with status. He did not belong in the world that Jin Xiu was familiar with.

But, from the moment she awoke from coma and saw him, she remembered that face. She knew that she shouldn’t, and it wasn’t to possess but just to get a little closer to him. Even a praiseworthy glance from him would make her happy.

This time, Xiang Ying Dong didn’t come alone.

The man beside him, handsome and gentle, he looked familiar to Jin Xiu, she could faintly remember meeting him in the Yin Residence. He casually stood there, a tad conceited, a tad cold, who was he?

“I’m Zuo Zhen, Zhen which means shock.” He introduced himself that way, “We’ve met.”

“Oh,” Jin Xiu was a little confused, “You’re–Ying Shao’s friend right?”

Zuo Zhen smiled faintly,”Not bad.”

He evaluated Jin Xiu. It was in the evening, Jin Xiu stood against the light, the warm rays from the setting sun looked like a golden halo around her silhouette. She looked like she was in better health today, in a thin woolen qipao, a pair of beautiful plaits hung before her chest. She was leaning with difficulty against the crutch, perhaps she was tired, beads of perspiration formed on her forehead, her cheeks flushed.

Like Ming Zhu, she had a pair of clear beautiful eyes, black irises, giving a bewildered look, with little less style than Ming Zhu but a little more gentleness.

Perhaps because she was pure, she was like a piece of white paper. In comparison, her charm could not match up to that of Ming Zhu’s– Every frown and every smile, every raise of her eyes and lowering of her head, was as mesmerizing as mist, and astonishing to others.

“Sit down and talk.” Xiang Ying Dong told Auntie Lan to bring the tea, “What are you standing around for? It’s not like you haven’t met.”

Jin Xiu shyly smiled, kept the crutches and sat on the chair closes to her,”I’m really sorry, my leg is taking too long to heal, and have to trouble Ying Shao to visit every two to three days.”

“It’s not bad already,” Xiang Ying Dong was nonchalant, “Initially you couldn’t even raise your fingers. I’ll estimate that in eight to ten days, you’ll have a complete recovery.”

Zuo Zhen downed a cup of hot tea, “Miss Rong is so worried, is there something that you haven’t accomplished?”

Jin Xiu shook her head,”I’ve just arrived in Shanghai, unfamiliar with the place and people, there’s nothing that needs my attention here. It’s just that, the sooner i recover, the sooner I can find something to do. Staying here everyday, leaves me unsettled.”

“You want to find something to do?” Xiang Ying Dong cast a glance at Zuo Zhen, this was a tad strange, “What kind of job is more suitable for you?”

Jin Xiu’s face turned red, “I’m not sure, both of you are more familiar with Shanghai, perhaps you could offer me some suggestions.”

“Let’s put it this way, what do you know?” Xiang Ying Dong, placed his leg on his lap,”For example, accounting, English, perhaps playing the piano or something like that?”

Jin Xiu widened her eyes,”Play…play the piano? The western score is completely different from the Chinese notes, how would I know.”

She didn’t know anything, yet she wanted to make money?

Xiang Ying Dong laughed, even the usually expressionless Zuo Zhen couldn’t help but let out a sinister smile,”That would be difficult then.”

Jin Xiu’s face turned red from his intention to ridicule, “Even working at the factory needs knowledge of English, accounting, and to be able to play the piano? I have hands and legs and can work for a living.”

Zuo Zhen looked at the pair of small hands on her knees, slender fingers, snow white and soft, it didn’t look like a pair of hands that worked. “Then what kind of work do you plan to do? Do you know about silk reeling or wearing? Those machines in big factories, do you know a little about them?” Zuo Zhen was no longer looking at her,”Let’s first not talk about whether the money you earn from working will be enough to rent a place or feed yourself, I fear that the minute any employer looks at your pair of hands, they wouldn’t want to hire you.” What a naive girl, if things were as smooth and easy as she imagined, then the world wouldn’t experience depressing to dark things anymore. To be able to survive till this day, it was just blind luck.

Jin Xiu was in a daze, she couldn’t help but feel discouraged, yet she was unwilling to admit defeat and argued back,”But… I’ve learnt embroidery, weaving, back when I was in school I learnt how to sing, that’s right, I can play the flute as well, I’ve been learning how to since I was five…” Her voice got softer and softer as she spoke, frustration growing in her heart. These small tricks of someone who came from the countryside, tricks that were just fluff, perhaps they could entertain people at home, but to make a living from them, especially in a place like Shanghai, what use were they?

Zuo Zhen looked at her, seeing how her small teeth bit down on her lower lips, anxiousness, confusion, expressed in those bright eyes of hers, yet unwilling to admit defeat as she continued to glare at him as she pleaded her cause, stubborn on the surface, panic in her heart, none of these escaped his eyes.

Unknowingly, he became soft hearted.

Xiang Ying Dong laughed as he waited to see Zuo Zhen make a fool out of himself. He had really courted trouble this time around. Rong Jin Xiu was Ming Zhu’s younger sister, whether Ming Zhu would admit to it or not, she was different other women. It wasn’t right to throw her out but to continue providing for her seemed inappropriate, even providing for eight of ten Rong Jin Xius wasn’t a problem. The problem was, how to answer to Ming Zhu about this? I picked up your sister from the streets, so I might as well make her mine? In addition, Jin Xiu this girl, was completely oblivious, she didn’t even know how to ingratiate herself with men, completely not suitable for his palate.

“Let’s discuss this after you recover.” Zuo Zhen continued, “I’ll make arrangements then.”

What a cunning old fox! Xiang Ying Dong silently laughed and scolded. Skilfully deflecting the problem, till then, till what time? To think that stupid woman Jing Xiu had gratitude written all over her face. Understanding the intentions of others and evaluating the situation, she didn’t even learn even a little from Ming Zhu, she was certainly a far cry from her.

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 2 (4)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

In the twilight sky, at dusk.

The howling wind of autumn, felt even colder because of the dark, gloomy skies. Since afternoon, the sky was grey. In the evening the dark clouds grew denser, but the rain didn’t seem to fall. On the streets, people rushed about, during such a time, who wasn’t rushing back home, looking forward to a warm dinner, bright lights, the smiles of one’s family, to wash away the exhaustion of a busy day out.

Jin Xiu hurriedly walked on the streets. The roads in Shanghai were too complicated, it was completely foreign to her. She held on to the map and asked for directions all the way through, and finally found Hua Ying primary school. The requirements on the hiring advertisement in the newspaper didn’t seem that strict. Only reaching there did she realise, that without any teaching experience, and only a simple few years of schooling, without even a guarantor, to think of becoming a teacher, was impossible.

After leaving Hua Ying primary school, Jin Xiu was so dejected that she couldn’t even lift up her head. A whole day of anticipation and hope were now just a burst dream. She walked over a few streets, then Jin Xiu suddenly realised, she was lost! She hurriedly walked back but the more she walked the more confused she got, before her eyes were hoards of cars and people, tall buildings, where was the path she initially took?

She didn’t have a cent on her, occasionally when trishaw riders saw her by the road looking left and right, and would come over touting for business, she could only furiously shake her head, how could she afford the fare?

The humid air was pressing and the cold left her breathless.

Jin Xiu only had a thin woollen qipao on, Auntie Lan only got it at the last minute, it seemed alright in the house only when she walked out did she realise that it was too thin, even her legs and hand were covered with goosebumps. She was most worried that it would rain, it was getting dark, and she had to hurry back to Lion Grove. Without even informing, she snuck out to find a job, would Ying Shao go and look for her today? He was too busy over the past two days, she didn’t even catch a glimpse of him.

Her sprained ankle already felt much better and she no longer needed crutches but after walking for a long while, it still throbbed with pain, as though it was pierced with a nail.  And at the crossroads, the chaos of people around, Jin Xiu felt her head grow big with worry, unable to get a hold of a matter.

The rain finally fell. Initially it was a drizzle, soon the raindrops grew heavy, Jin Xiu’s hair and shoulders were completely drenched, bumping left and right, her clothes could no longer get any wetter, and could only run to the nearest sea facing shelter in the church to hide from the rain.

Who knew that the rain had no intention of stopping and only grew heavier. Jin Xiu was so worried that she was in a mess, and each time she thought of rushing out she stopped herself–she couldn’t even recognise the way back, what was the point of running in the rain?

The neon lighted sign at the opposite Hua Long back lit up, like a beacon in the gloomy rain. Jin Xiu hugged her arms tightly, so cold that she was shivering, her hair was so wet that it was dripping with water, wandering around, feeling disjointed from the place around her.

A car sped past, splashing water from the puddles on the street onto Jin Xiu. Luckily she moved away quickly and only her calves and the bottom half of her qipao were splashed a few drops of mud–she almost become a dalmatian. Jin Xiu bent down to wipe herself with a newspaper, that car suddenly drove back and stopped right before her.

The chauffeur nimbly got down, and pulled open the back door, holding a black umbrella, a pair of shining leather shoes extended out from within the car, stepping into the rainwater, a pair of smart looking pants just above.

Jin Xiu stunned and she stood up, eyes widening. Under that umbrella was Zuo Zhen! The sky was darkening, the cold rain was depressing, yet his voice had a warmth that penetrated her heart,”Jin Xiu, get on.”

His tone was so matter of fact, impossible to refuse, he took the umbrella from the chauffeur’s hands and held it over Jin Xiu, “Don’t wander around on a rainy day.”

This was Jin Xiu’s first time sitting in a private car, the leather seats were wide and comfortable, there was warmth in the air around. She curiously moved forward to see the chauffeur driving, that round thing was probably used for steering the car, and there was even the handbrake beside the seat, the chauffeur was so familiar with the controls, it truly wasn’t easy, to be able to drive such a complicated huge machine. Zuo Zhen wasn’t someone who talked much, but for some reason, at this moment he seemed so close to her. Although they had only met twice, Shanghai was huge and since she only knew a few people, the way Zuo Zhen treated her was not all that bad.

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 2 (5)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

The strands of Jin Xiu’s hair were wet, her fringe was dripping with water, sticking to her glistening forehead. Her eyebrows seemed shining black, an air of moisture before her irises, like two black pearls immersed in water, looking around in a child-like manner.

Zuo Zhen turned to her, “Have you recovered from your injuries?”

Jin Xiu nodded her head, “Yes, since yesterday, I’ve stopped using crutches.” She looked towards Zuo Zhen and smiled, “Look, even the bruises on my face are almost gone.”

“Auntie Lan takes very good care of me, she never repeats the items for my meals, and wouldn’t even let me wash my clothes. Every day I sleep after eating, and eat after waking up, sigh, I feel bad about it. Taking care of me like that, how can I not get better from my injuries, it wasn’t that serious anyway, just some bruising and swelling, my bones or muscles weren’t injured.”

Jin Xiu casually chatted, with a tad of excitement and nagging as though she was talking to someone from her hometown. Actually Zuo Zhen could only be considered an acquaintance, and barely spoke to each other before. But right now, to Jin Xiu, even as just an acquaintance, was so precious.

Zuo Zhen didn’t cut her off, and he didn’t seem to mind her being long-winded, simply asking,”Do you have anything on tonight?”

Jin Xiu was surprised, “What would I have on, besides sleeping?”
“Go home later then.” Zuo Zhen blandly replied.

Only when Jin Xiu got down from the car did she realise, that this was a hotel.

Even though it was a hotel, it was a far cry from Lion Grove. It was just a white building with two floors and “Xiang Tan Hotel” written on the signboard.

“Ying Dong and I love having Hunan cuisine, what they serve here is truly authentic.” Zuo Zhen said to her, “And it’s considered peaceful, even though the furnishings are unsophisticated.”

However Jin Xiu was rather overjoyed. How could this be considered unsophisticated, it was just simple, red lanterns hung on the door, paper umbrellas and the bamboo stairs inside, the resounding “click” sound of footsteps, simple and endearing. Ying Shao also liked coming here?

They went up the stairs, it wasn’t a booth but a quiet dining hall, there were few people due to the rain, only one table of customers. Their table was close to the window and it was half closed, to shield from the rain, the sound of raindrops trickling, a subtle peacefulness. Jin Xiu suddenly thought of a saying,”Plane trees, midnight rain, no road leaves love bitter. A leaf, a sound, emptiness drips into existence.” In this sereneness, raindrops beating against the bamboo windows, sounded poetic.

A faint smile drifted past Zuo Zhen’s lips. This lady, since she entered had seemed out of sorts. He lightly knocked against the table, “Do you take spicy foods?”

Jin Xiu proudly lifted up her head, “I can’t live without it.”

Zuo Zhen seemed a tad surprised, “I’ve heard that women that take spicy food don’t have good tempers.”

Jin Xiu suddenly laughed, “Even if that’s true, don’t tell me you’re scared?” When she laughed, the corners of her lips gently lifted up.

Zuo Zhen looked down at the menu. Actually he knew what was available even without looking at the menu. To the waiter standing beside, he ordered a whole table of dishes, and finally looked towards Jin Xiu, “Still missing a few dishes, it’s your turn now.”

To be honest, Jin Xiu rarely had the experience of ordering in a restaurant, looking at the menu, it seemed as though Zuo Zhen had already ordered every dish, what would she know about which dishes were nice and which were not? After pondering, she seriously and cautiously asked, “Could I… have the granny pancake?”

What, granny pancake? What was that thing?

The waiter was stunned, Zuo Zhen likewise. Two of them looked at each other and burst into laughter. Zuo Zhen had just picked up a teacup and with this laughed, he almost spilled out all the tea in his cup.

The waiter held in his laughter, “Lady, this dish you would like to order, doesn’t seem to be Hunan cuisine?”

Jin Xiu knew that she had made a fool of herself and blushed, extremely awkward, replying softly,”No, if there isn’t then it’s alright…erm…”

Zuo Zhen saw that hand hers had already balled into fists as though she was squeezing out sweat, he couldn’t bear it anymore, hurriedly continuing,”We’ll have a lotus shrimp soup.”

After waving away the waiter, Zuo Zhen lighted up a cigarette.

“Granny pancake is something from your hometown?” he asked.

Jin Xiu nodded, “I haven’t had it for a long time, Shanghai doesn’t sell it.” Thinking of the granny pancake from Zhenjiang, she suddenly felt homesick. In this lifetime, she could no longer return to that familiar house.”

“Why did you end up at the entrance of Hua Long?” Zuo Zhen started asking,”You don’t even recognise the routes, yet you’re running about alone.”

Jin Xiu replied, “I just went to Hua Ying Primary School, they advertised on the newspaper, to hire teachers.”

She really wanted to come out and work? She really wouldn’t give up. Zuo Zhen raised his brows in surprise, “You’re in such a hurry to find a job?”

“Of course!” Jin Xiu didn’t even hesitate, “I already troubled Ying Shao for so many days, relying on him for a place to stay, food to eat and clothes to wear, even if I ignore food and accommodation, I can’t possibly ask money from him for clothes, cosmetics and newspapers right?”

Zuo Zhen took in a breath of smoke, “A lady, and you don’t even know anyone, I’m afraid it wouldn’t be that easy.”

Jin Xiu was dejected, “Yes. After running about today, there isn’t any result at all. But, don’t worry, I’ll definitely think of something.”

“I promised you before, to help you take care of this” Zuo Zhen faintly pondered,”Since you’ve studied before, work under me then.”

“Really?” Jin Xiu was overjoyed, unable to believe, “Is it because you’re taking pity on me?”

Zuo Zhen smiled, “What do I pity you for? There are too many pitiful people in the whole of Shanghai, if I help everyone I see, I’ll exhaust myself completely. If you’re unwilling, you can ask Ying Dong.”

“Ah, that’s not what I meant!” Jin Xiu hurriedly explained, “It’s just that I really don’t know much, I’m afraid that I’ll bring you trouble.”

Zuo Zhen didn’t reply. Since saving her that day, he had already taken responsibility for this matter, troublesome or not, wasn’t it too late now?

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 2 (6)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

If Ying Shao knew about it, would he be happy? Jin Xiu wondered, bittersweet, she couldn’t continue lazing around there, she had enjoyed being taken care of for long enough. It was just that, in future would there still be opportunities for them to meet? After all he was friends with Zuo Zhen. Now the seat she was in, Ying Shao had probably sat there before, didn’t Zuo Zhen say that they came here often?

She thought she heard Zuo Zhen say something and she lifted her head up in a daze, “What?” Zuo Zhen didn’t know whether to laugh or be annoyed, women who went out to eat with him, not a single one would dare to blank out time and again. She wasn’t focused on him at all.

“You…work together with Ying Shao?” Jin Xiu tried her best to sound casual.

“No.” Zuo Zhen continued, “He is often at Bai Le Men.”

Jin Xiu couldn’t help but feel a little disappointed. So they weren’t together. Although she hid it well but Zuo Zhen had survived in Shanghai for over twenty years, a pair of hardened eyes with hooks, so even if you’re trying to hide something, you wouldn’t be able to fool him. In any case, compared to him, Jin Xiu was like a piece of white paper, before his eyes, what could she expect to hide?

Zuo Zhen lightly crinkled up his eyes, “You want to be with Ying Dong?”

Jin Xiu was so stunned that her hands were trembling, “No no, you’ve misunderstood, I know my place well, and there isn’t anything I’m capable of yet.”

Zuo Zhen faintly smiled, smoking slowly following up with a question, “That means, you wish to be his woman?”

“Ah?” Jin Xiu was exposed in just a moment and blushed all the way to her ears, dignity on the ground, hurriedly denying, “Never, never! Ying Shao….Ying Shao who is of such status, I…”

Zuo Zhen shot back, “What status, you mean, as long as his status can be disregarded, you’d be willing?”

Jin Xiu was shocked. Only after a while she reacted, “You’re making fun of me?” How could he be like that?

Zuo Zhen only replied, “The dishes are here, try this smoked duck, it’s the signature dish here.”

Jin Xiu glared at him, anger burning. “Mr Zuo! For all your help, I’m definitely very grateful, but please don’t joke about such stuff, I’m not that kind…”

“What do I need your gratitude for?” Zuo Zhen coldly raised his eyes, “What can you do for me? Want me to joke with you, I’m afraid you not up to it.” His tone was calm and could even be considered warm but the look in his eyes were cold as ice, this string of words from his mouth, did not carry the least bit of anger but Jin Xiu couldn’t help but shiver.

Jin Xiu didn’t understand Shanghai, much less Zuo Zhen. If she understood, that she would definitely not speak to him like this—-so casually with even a bit a temper. Zuo Zhen wasn’t the type to take kindly to coquetry and orders, or easily manipulated by soft and hard tactics.

“I…” Jin Xiu blushed, “Maybe I don’t know your rules. What kind of people you and Ying Shao are, what you do, I don’t understand. But since you’ve both saved me, helped me, I wish to repay this, it’s that simple. I know that what I can do is limited, and I’m not someone who belongs in your world. You think I would have such delusions?” Her voice slowly lowered, “I’m unworthy, but I have my pride. I don’t know anyone in Shanghai, and have no place to go, so I have to abandon this little bit of pride for empathy and warmth from you.”

Zuo Zhen sank into silence. The expression on his face was too deep to comprehend, and impossible to tell whether he was angry or not.

Jin Xiu tried her best to brace herself, took in a deep breath, and put on a smile, “Alright, you’re treating me to a meal yet I’ve spoiled the mood, let’s not talk about all that, I’m going to try the Hunan cuisine here to see what’s so special about it?” She picked up a braised oxtail in chilli oil and took a big bite, “Whoa, spicy and flavourful, this is good stuff!” As she ate the spiciness caused her to breathe deeply, even her tears threatened to spill.

Actually it was just an exaggeration, her tears were real but the spiciness was not, but if she did not pretend that she could not stand the spiciness, how could she hide the embarrassing tears?

His hand gently took away her chopsticks and a soft piece of handkerchief covered her nose and mouth, “Don’t force yourself if it’s too spicy.”

She raised her head in shock and saw the warm smile on Zuo Zhen’s face. “Wipe your face clean, a lady should eat demurely.”

“I wasn’t making fun of you, I just wished to help you.” Zuo Zhen did not have to explain but he still did, “I’ve been brothers with Ying Dong for years, whether you wish to work for him, repay him or like him, I think that besides me, you can’t find a second person who can help you achieve your aim.”

Jin Xiu held on to his handkerchief wiping her face and her pathetic state away. “It’s impossible.” She softly said, “I’ve never truly desired to possess him. In any case, even getting close to him is not easy. I might be stupid, but I know this much.”

Zuo Zhen wrinkled his forehead. “Now you’re having a meal with me, why do you not feel that you’re not worthy? What’s the difference between Ying Dong and me?”

Jin Xiu replied, “It’s not the same.”

She put down her chopsticks looking at the bamboo curtains by the window, melancholic, “You just happened to bump into me along the streets and treat me to a meal, this is all but a coincidence, it doesn’t mean a thing to you and I’m not asking anything of you. But if I carry such a motive to get close to Ying Shao, even if just to repay him, I would still hope for his attention, that feeling, I would want it to last longer…how would this be the same?”

Zuo Zhen poured himself a cup of liquor and slowly downed it. He understood. “You’re not wrong. But if you don’t think it’s beneath you I can help you enter Bai Le Men, that’s Ying Dong’s place.”

Jin Xiu didn’t quite understand, “Why would it be beneath me?”

Zuo Zhen looked at the cup of liquor in his hands, “Bai Le Men is one of the most famous nightclubs in Shanghai, especially the Bai Le Men grand ballroom, it’s long renowned.”

Jin Xiu looked at him, slowly deciphering his words.

“You…want me to go to Bai Le Men, to be a dancer.” She was surprised.

“That wasn’t what I meant.” Zuo Zhen lightly denied, “I’m just saying that I can help you get there. Where you want to go depends on yourself.”

“But, didn’t you just say….”Jin Xiu was puzzled by his manner, didn’t he just say that she could do odd jobs for him.

“Now this solution, don’t you think it’s even better?” Zuo Zhen asked. Xiang Ying Dong’s woman, he couldn’t be bothered to mess with. In any case didn’t Jin Xiu want to get close to Ying Dong? What hope would she have if she worked for him?

Jin Xiu descended into silence.

She couldn’t even take care of her meals and didn’t even have a cent on her, what else could she do? She couldn’t rely on Ying Shao and Zuo Zhen for the rest of her live. In any case as a dancer all she had to do was dance, if she could maintain her principles, it was alright, wasn’t it?

“If I do this…would I be corrupting myself?” She said to herself in a daze, this sacrifice, was it to survive or was it for Ying Shao?

“You are different from others.” Zuo Zhen leaned back into his chair, “If you wish to leave, you can look for me anytime.” The moment those words left his lips, even he was shocked, what did it mean? Why would he say that? She was just an acquaintance, did he need to be so helpful? He wasn’t someone who had a lot of time on his hands, much less the energy to deal with such nonsense. Strange.

• 3 weeks later...

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 3 (1)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

“Boss Feng, just drink a little bit more…look at you perspiring, it wouldn’t be good if you go out now and catch a cold, stay a little while more, what’s there to be afraid of…”

“Brother Guang, I specially wore this newly tailored dress, you didn’t even take a look at it….”

Jin Xiu sat on the chair, prim and proper, all the laughter and whispers, shameless coquetry and flirtation from nearby drowned her in waves.

The music kept on playing, song after song, she could see silhouettes of crowds on the huge dance floor, the warm air was filled with the scent of cosmetics, perfume and wine.

She had been at Bai Le Men for quite a few days, Jin Xiu finally knew what lost in paradise meant. Bai Le Men was like a pearl floating up from amidst the dark night, radiating with extravagance, magnificently brightening up the area.

When Jin Xiu first arrived, she could hardly believe her eyes, such a wide hall, the ceiling that was two stories high, with thousands of inlaid lights, the walls were covered with western carvings, encircling the large pillars; the chairs, tables and utensils were exquisite to an extreme: fine linen table clothes, gleaming silver cups and kettles, crystal lamps, fresh flower vases…and an entire band, the waiters were dressed in suit, ties and gloves, the entire hall filled with guests all dressed to impress, Jin Xiu remembered that when she gathered her courage to approach Xiang Ying Dong, there was a look of astonishment on his face.

“Be a dancer?” He asked, “Did Zuo Zhen get you in here?” Was Zuo Zhen crazy, this was his so called arrangement? To arrange for her to work in Bai Le Men? This little imp didn’t have what it takes to be a dancer girl, she didn’t even know anything, if some guy even touch her, she’d probably cry, what a joke, to be treating this as a charity for homeless women.

“You better hurry back to Lion Grove.” Xiang Ying Dong scoffed, “Don’t cause any trouble for me.”

“What?” Jin Xiu could hardly believe her ears, “She wasn’t even qualified to be a dancer girl?”

Ying Dong looked at her, “You think the money from a man’s pocket can be so easily earned, Ms Rong, let’s first not talk about how you can’t dance, if you were to be forced to drink by the customers or even kissed just once, you’d probably run back and kill yourself. This is not an easy place to work, you really think anyone can do this?”

He parted with these words, “If you don’t believe you can try, if you can earn a hundred dollars within a month, then I’ll admit I was wrong about you.”

It was really as he expected. After being here for four to five days, every night Jin Xiu was coldly left alone. Seeing all the dancer girls were out with their skills and entertaining left and right, Jin Xiu on the other hand was so worried that her hair seemed to turn white. Was it that she wasn’t pretty enough? Or did not take enough initiative?  There were a few times she wanted to try to speak to the customers, but always backed out at the last minute. She really couldn’t do that kind of thing.

Beside her a flirtatious voice drifted into her ears, “Brother Hao, don’t rush to leave, Er Ye hasn’t reached yet. You can wait here for him, better than going out to suffer in the cold.”

That “Brother Hao” seemed impatient, “You sit here first, I’m going out for a breath of fresh air. Help me look out, if Er Ye arrives early, call me, I’ll be by the entrance.”

“No worries, leave it to me.” No matter what that voice said it sound coquettish, “Who at Bai Le Men doesn’t recognize Er Ye, the minute they hear “Zuo Zhen” these two words, everyone would crowd around to flatter him.

Zuo Zhen?!

Jin Xiu jumped up from her chair. When did he come, why didn’t she not notice at all. Perhaps he would help her think of something,  exactly how could she end the days of awkwardness sitting on a cold stool? Jin Xiu grabbed onto  “Brother Hao”, overjoyed as blurted out, “Zuo Zhen is here too?, Shi Hao was stunned. Where did this woman come from, to actually dare call out Er Ye’s name like this! A working lady at Bai Le Men or a customer? She looked so familiar. But that face full of delight and surprise was one he did not seem to know.

“I’m Rong Jin Xiu. Mr Zuo has never mentioned me before I think. I wish to see him for a while, is he here?” Jin Xiu tip toed and looked around while tugging on to Shi Hao.

Oh, Rong Jin Xiu, so this is her.

Only then did Shi Hao realize who this woman was. He heard Er Ye and Ying Shao bringing her up occasionally, as though they both knew her, yes, her life was saved from the streets by Shi Hao and Zuo Zhen.

“Follow me then, he is upstairs.” Shi Hao examined Jin Xiu with his eyes from head to toe, “Go look for him by yourself, I’m just afraid that Tang Hai and the rest won’t let you in.” He was surprised that she had become a dancer at Bai Le Men. But it’s not too bad, better than starving and freezing to death on the streets.

Upstairs were filled with booths, Jin Xiu had never been there.

Shi Hao stood outside one of the booths, and greeted Tang Hai who was chatting with two underlings, “Er Ye is inside?”

Tang Hai pointed, “Yes he is. Two have gone in, another one?” Shi Hao looked at Jin Xiu who was behind him, “It’s not like that. Hey, what are you standing there for, aren’t you looking for Er Ye, hurry in then.”

The door was closed. Jin Xiu gathered her courage and knocked twice, she heard Zuo Zhen’s voice from within, “Come in.”

Jin Xiu twisted open the door nob and entered–and was completely stunned. Her face turned red and didn’t know to go in or not.

Inside there were fine wine, good food, of course this wasn’t important since there was no one at the table. But Zuo Zhen was reclining on the couch, beside his long pants, he wasn’t wearing anything else! A woman was sitting in his arms, another was holding on the wine and leaning to his side, glancing at the sudden entrance of Jin Xiu, she ignored her and continued, “This wine, was specially kept for Er Ye to drink, other kinds are good enough for you. That day Boss Zheng came…”

Zuo Zhen opened his half closed eyes, and saw Jin Xiu standing at the door with her face flushed and eyes wide opened, he lazily pushed away the wine glass at his lips, “Why are you standing at the door? Come in and talk.”

Now Jin Xiu didn’t dare to go in anymore, “I…just a small matter, why not I wait downstairs for you…”

“Stop nagging.” Zuo Zhen straightened up, “Speak if you have anything to say.”

Jin Xiu fearfully went in, standing far away, only daring to stare the the floor, gosh, if she had known it would be like this inside, she wouldn’t have barged in!

Seeing how scared she was, Zuo Zhen was amused. While standing, he waved his hands and asked the two women to leave, “Speak, why are you looking for me?”

Jin Xiu was a tad embarrassed, “I don’t know how to put it into words. I didn’t expect it to be like this.”

Zuo Zhen sighed listlessly, “I beg of you Jin Xiu, please get to the point. What happened exactly, were you bullied by the customers, scolded by Ying Dong, or don’t feel like doing this anymore?”

While putting on his coat, he buckled up the leather belt with twelve short knives around his waist, and slowly put on the gun holster before buttoning up his clothes.

Jin Xiu stared at him, too shocked to speak. Everything she saw him, he was warm and calm, carefree and rarely raised his voice, as though when others would angrily say “scram”, he would politely say “please”. This kind of person, why would there be knives around his waist and a gun even? Weren’t those for killing people or smuggling goods? Why were they hidden under his coat?!

Zuo Zhen coldly spoke, “Have you seen enough? You’ve never seen a man changing?”

Jin Xiu hurriedly closed her eyes, “Sorry, I wasn’t looking at you, looking at you…” She want to say “Wasn’t looking at your body”, but her tongue was in knots, and couldn’t speak clearly.

A hand patted her head, “Alright, don’t be so nervous, sit down and tell me about it.” Zuo Zhen lit up a cigarette, taking out the greatest patience, “There are no outsiders here.”

Jin Xiu quietened, and forced herself to be calm. “I might not be suitable for this industry.”

“I knew you would say so.” Zuo Zhen lightly said, “Got taken advantaged by customers, is that so?”

Jin Xiu’s face turned even redder, “No…I, I haven’t even been touched by the customers.”

Zuo Zhen could not help but raise an eyebrow, what, after being a dancer girl for so long, she hasn’t even had one customer? How was she even a dancer girl? Even if she didn’t know, after looking at how others worked, wouldn’t she find out on her own? Jin Xiu felt uneasy under his stare, “Maybe I’m not pretty enough.” She furrowed her brows, troubled, “I don’t know to serve them…I can only sit aside and wait.”

Zuo Zhen didn’t want to laugh but he couldn’t seem to keep it in. He could imagine how she looked, all prim and proper, wearing a qipao, button all the way up to her chin, all pure with two plaits, a look of virginal goodness as she sat with composure on the chair.

Who knew if she was there to keep an eye on the happenings on the dance floor or be a dancer girl? Who earned money like her? It wasn’t hard to imagine that these few days the in charge must have been harsh on her.

“What are you laughing about?” Jin Xiu unhappily muttered, “Ying Shao looks down on me too, he wanted to chase me away from the start.”

“Say no more.” Zuo Zhen sighed, “Jin Xiu, you are really an eye-opener. Come, let me teach you.”

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 3 (2)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

He reached his hand out and pulled, Jin Xiu couldn’t react in time, falling deeply into his arms.

“Like this, face to face and stand properly, left hand on me, right hand around my waist.” He taught her step by step, “Don’t look down. Take a step forward, and another, then one step back. Right, just like this, even if you don’t know it’s fine, just go with the flow.”

Jin Xiu was at a loss, “So this is considered dancing?”

Zuo Zhen had fully shown his patience. “Basically, you can say so. But the man you’re facing is not me, if he likes to pinch your butt or thighs or even fondle your chest, usually this is also considered part of dancing.”

Jin Xiu’s face turned pale.

Zuo Zhen let go of her, as she looked as though her soul had left her, omitting some of the even more ugly truths. “Go back and practice in front of the mirror. And, this set of clothes, they might be suitable for visiting your relatives but don’t wear it to the dance hall. After you wash your face, at least put on some rouge and powder, don’t go around with a pale face, which man would be interested in you?”

Jin Xiu’s face turned even more green. She needed to arrange for clothes, accessories and makeup? Gosh, she hadn’t even earned a cent.

“There are many ways of dealing with men, I’m not an expert but I can teach you two things, “One, if he touches or fondles you, you cannot retaliate, maintain a smile on your face; if you spoil of the mood of the customer, the reputation of Bai Le Men will be soiled by you. Second, if he doesn’t fancy you, don’t throw yourself at him, if you wish to be the most popular at Bai Le Men, knowing how to leave a man hanging is of utmost importance.”

Saying this, Zuo Zhen couldn’t keep his laughter in anymore, “I really don’t know if you’re the one working as a dancer girl, or me. To think that in this lifetime, I can teach someone about this.” The way he was acting now, was no different from a pimp, sending Jin Xiu to Bai Le Men, was definitely a mistake. To think that she still looked so tenacious.

Zuo Zhen sighed again, while pulling Jin Xiu to her feet, “Let’s go and dance downstairs. I’ll help you make an appearance.”

The first dance in Jin Xiu’s life was this very one with Zuo Zhen.

Instead of calling it a dance, it would be more accurate to say that Zuo Zhen took her on a stroll. Totally disregarding the steps and styles, only moving about on the same place, even so, Jin Xiu still perspired.

For some reason, all eyes were on them, and Jin Xiu felt goosebumps raising all over her body. She thought that it was probably because of Zuo Zhen, those people must have recognized him. Raising her head to look at Zuo Zhen, he was so calm and collected, so comfortably at ease, as though there was no one around, Jin Xiu’s panic and distress also seemed to fade away.

Zuo Zhen cam down for this dance, was purely to help Jin Xiu make an appearance. He didn’t like such stuff, he usually visited Bai Le Men for liquor, gambling and women, very rarely did he go to the dance floor. With regards to take advantage of women during dancing, he only felt disdain. It wasn’t as though he had no money to get women, why take take advantage of these ladies?

In his arms, Jin Xiu felt so nervous that she became very stiff. Like a puppet, even her legs could not bend, not even daring to breathe loudly. Her head was so low that it was already buried in his chest. Occasionally she raised her head to take a look at him but fearfully like a thief. What exactly was she afraid of?

“You’re about to rip my clothes.” While smoking, Zuo Zhen casually reminded Jin Xiu, “Relax your hand, alright?”

“Oh, sorry sorry.” Jin Xiu kept apologizing.

The ash, fell in sync with Zuo Zhen’s words, fell off Jin Xiu’s sleeves, scalding her hand that was placed on Zuo Zhen’s arm.

“Aiyo!” Jin Xiu got a shock, her steps were a mess and she stepped on Zuo Zhen. The anger she felt at her stupidity almost drove her to the grave.

Zuo Zhen instead hurriedly lifted her hand and blew off the ash, “Did you burn yourself?”

Jin Xiu replied, “It’s fine. But I stepped on you again, really…”

Jin Xiu rubbed the scaled spot, “Thankfully, it didn’t hurt you.”

After letting go, Zuo Zhen realized that when he touched Jin Xiu, her skin was smooth and a little cool, that soft and cool feeling, stay in the heart of his palm, causing an unexpected slight twinge in his heart.

Zuo Zhen threw away the half smoked cigarette, stepped on it to put it out, place his hands around Jin Xiu again, the song was not over yet. But upon getting close to her again, he realized that she was practically enveloped in his arms, it was just too intimate. Jin Xiu still lowered her head, Zuo Zhen could see the back of her snow white neck when he looked down, her supple skin, smooth black hair, the light scent drifting from her…Zuo Zhen suddenly loosened his hands, backing away.

This was the woman that he had sent to Ying Dong, in fact she so innocently believed in him, relying on his aid. But what was he doing now, and at her most vulnerable. To treat a naive and silly girl this way?

“What’s wrong,” Jin Xiu looked at him uneasily, “I made a mistake, right?” Zuo Zhen’s expression looked bad.

“Just take your time, slowly.” He forced his words out, “I have something on, I’ve got to leave.” He turned and only after taking a few steps, walked back again, “I’ll ask someone to send some items to you, you’re not familiar with Shanghai, don’t got out by yourself to shop.”

Jin Xiu looked at his back view, depressingly lowering her head. Looked like Zuo Zhen no longer had the patience to deal with her. What could he have on, it must be to go upstairs, back into the arms of those ladies. Ever since she arrived in Shanghai, Jin Xiu realized how stupid and old-fashioned she was. Looking at all the Shanghai beauties, indifferent like cats, charming like silk, why was she awkwardly in the middle? But she was so anxious, was earning money to support herself so difficult? To let Ying Dong notice and acknowledge her existence was a far and unreachable extravagance. Only a day had passed and Zuo Zhen’s underlings had already sent those items over, his so called “a little” something. Gosh! Was this just “some” things? That could fill two large boxes? It was not as though it was her dowry, just some clothes to wear in front of Ying Dong, was it necessary to go to such lengths, poplinsatin, brocadevelvet, dress, dresses, evening dresses, jackets, and coats as well as cloaks, all sorts of colors and styles, plus entire sets of makeup and perfumes, western rose creams, lipstick pencils and several expensive jewellery.

Jin Xiu was surprised, the beds and covers were covered with clothes and the measurements were perfect, as though they were tailor made for her. How on earth did he do it? Spending so much that she was worried she could not afford to pay him back. And a few of those evening gowns, she wondered what they were made of, soft and silky, beautifully colored, low cut and off shoulders, dear lord, how could she wear them out? The qipao slit was so high, as though afraid others could not see her thighs.

But, these things, how could they be so gorgeous? As though bringing with them melodic dance notes, bringing the scent of the night, seducing Jin Xiu to reach out and feel them.

Changing into her clothes and combing her hair, Jin Xiu saw herself in the mirror, flower printed beige satin qipao, loose and wavy long hair, ivory like skin, irises like stars, vibrant red lips, black subtle eyes and lashes expressing desire, as though there were limitless thoughts in her mind.

So she could look like this too.

Jin Xiu observed the mysterious stranger in the mirror, so pretty and far away, as though it was a another woman she never knew, dark brows and lowered eyes, bringing with her a touch of competitiveness.

She felt as though she saw Ming Zhu’s shadow.

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 3 (3)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

Finally, she went to Bai Le Men like that. It was still early, there weren’t many customers, Li Li another dancer girl was at the bar, idly painting her nails. The minute she saw Jin Xiu, her eyes widened, “Ah, Jin Xiu, you finally put on some proper clothes! Tsk tsk, such a slender waist, long legs. We’re doing this for a living, the most important thing is our appearance, as long as the person is beautiful, there is no fear that you won’t be popular. Looks like the leader won’t look down on you anymore.”

Jin Xiu could only smile and sit aside.

“I heard that last night Er Ye chose you to dance with him?” Li Li voice had a twinge of envy, “You’ve really blossomed into a phoenix. But, how did he notice you?” Looking at the string of pure glistening pearls around her neck, how could she have bought them herself.

“Dancing with Zuo Zhen, is that so earth shattering?” Jin Xiu could not understand, “You spend your days around VIPs and rich masters, haven’t you seen it all?”

Li Li was stunned, “You just said Er Ye’s name? Bai Le Men has tens of dancer girls but this is the first. You really don’t know the rules, or you’re pretending not to?”

Jin Xiu was puzzled, seeing how mysteriously she spoke of him, could it be that serious? “Right, I’ve always found it strange, always hearing others call him Er Ye. Why is that so?” Zuo Zhen was obviously not old, why address him like a seventy, eighty year old.

“He is Master He’s disciple, back then the number two in Qing Gang, moreover he is Mr Xiang’s sworn brother.” Li Li continued, “Everyone addresses him this way as a form of respect.”

“Qing Gang?” Jin Xiu was completely lost. But it did not sound like anything good.

Li Li warned her seriously, “Since Master He passed away, Er Ye became the head of Qing Gang, you simply call him Zuo Zhen, if people from the Qing Gang hear you, at the very least your tongue will be torn off…”

Ah only then did Jin Xiu come to a realization! No wonder he had knives and guns on him, so he was from the triads?!

“Zuo…Er Ye, is from the triads? Involved in burnings, killing, robbery, prostitution, that kind of person?” Jin Xiu breathed deeply, unable to believe. Zuo Zhen was so gentle and polite, it was impossible to imagine his underworld background.

“Shut up!” Li Li was so cared, she covered Jin Xiu’s mouth, only breathing a sigh of relief when she looked left and right and saw no one around. “You must be crazy, if you don’t wish to live anymore don’t drag me down together with you. What place this is, the whole of Bai Le Men belongs to Ying Shao, his big brother Mr Xiang and him are sworn brothers, not a single person here dares to show the least bit of disrespect. Such stupid words, actually come from your mouth?”

Jin Xiu almost passed out from the pressure, nodding furiously, nudging away her hands, “Ah…I know now, let me take a break.”

Li Li looked at Jin Xiu with disdain, “I know you’ve just arrived and may not know how things work, so I’m reminding you out of the goodness of my heart, the power of Qing Gang together with the standing of the Xiang family, both the underworld and otherwise they got them all covered, don’t think that just because Er Ye is nice to you, you can walk all over him. Being with such people, flatter them and pander to their whims as much as you can, please don’t joke around with your life. Serve him well and you won’t have to worry about money.”

“No!” Jin Xiu hurriedly explained, “He doesn’t want me to serve him, we are just…”

“Don’t bother, yesterday Er Ye even chose you for a dance, this is the first at Bai Le Men…Oh, that’s right, except for when Yin Ming Zhu was popular then. That was the only exception.”

“What!” Jin Xiu jumped up and almost losing her voice as she shouted, “You said that  Yin Ming Zhu was once popular at Bai Le Men?”

Li Li was shocked by Jin Xiu and stomped her feet, “Why are you making all these fuss, is she your mother? If the leader hears, she is going to come here and reprimand you. What’s so strange about this, two years ago, while Yin Ming Zhu was still at Bai Le Men she was the most popular in the whole of Shanghai, one who has never danced with her, cannot be considered to be someone of status. Who doesn’t know this?”

“Yin Ming Zhu, she, used to be a dancer girl?” Jin Xiu murmured in a daze.

“You’ve never heard of the things regarding her? She wasn’t just a dancer girl.” Li Li mysteriously lowered her voice, “But, things are different now, she Mr Xiang’s kept woman, living in a luxurious villa at Osmanthus street, she has washed her hands off this trade. It’s just that the five golden flowers under her hands, are quite famous still. Ai, if I had just one-tenth of her looks, I wouldn’t have worked so long without making a name for myself.”

Not bad, Jin Xiu knew about the luxurious villa and those “five golden flowers”, she had seen them personally, so this was what it was all about. Ming Zhu was kept by Mr Xiang but Mr Xiang was Ying Shao’s elder brother. “Then, isn’t Ming Zhu Ying Shao’s sister in law?”

“Not all all,” Li Li scoffed, “Women like us, of such birth to be Ying Shao’s sister in law? If this spreads out, people are going to laugh their front teeth off. Xiang family are of such status, owning banks, nightclubs, and many other countless businesses, with the power of Qing Gang supporting them, with the piers all under Er Ye, whose boats and goods don’t go through his hands? They just need to stomp their feet and the whole of Shanghai will experience an earthquake.”

“Would we be good enough for people like them? Ming Zhu was just born too beautiful. But as beautiful or eye catching as she is, what’s the use, she’s just another of Mr Xiang’s mistress.” She lowered her voice, whispering, “In any case she’s not the only woman by Mr Xiang’s side. Remember, women like us, are just a pool of mud beside them, they’ll take a step of two if their happy. No use talking about other things, just think about how to get some money from them, that’s the most practical.”

Jin Xiu’s mind was a mess.

Was it a coincidence? She was actually following Ming Zhu’s footsteps. Ming Zhu left Bai Le Men, and now she has joined ; Ming Zhu served Mr Xiang, and she had actually fallen for his younger brother Ying Shao.

As for the type of people Ying Shao and Zuo Zhen were, she only knew about it today. So what if she knew about it? She and them, what relationship could they speak of? All along she was trying her best to get on Ying Shao’s good side, to try and get his attention and acknowledgement, she never thought of possessing him. This Zuo Zhen had understood too, him helping her, was probably because he felt sorry for her.

Men like Ying Shao, handsome, rich, smart and capable, full of charm, seemingly perfect, he was probably the focus of many young ladies from good backgrounds. As for Jin Xiu she was only a down and out girl from elsewhere, a small bumpkin, a homeless orphan, with a mistress sister who refused to acknowledge her, now she was reduced to this, just afraid that she would have no chance of making it in this lifetime.

Towards Ying Shao, what would she dare expect? Even if Ming Zhu was just a hidden wife, a mistress among many, she was still Mr Xiang’s woman. She probably loved him?

If one day, she could be as popular as Ming Zhu, would Ying Shao be interested in her then?

“Miss, dance with me!” A middle aged man’s face appeared before Jin Xiu, his lecherous look giving Jin Xiu a shock. “Oh! okay.” Jin Xiu pulled out her smile, finally customers were looking for her. At that moment, her senses were a mess, she could not tell if she was depressed or joyous.

She had already taken this step, she could no longer turn back, Rong Jin Xiu.

• 1 month later...

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 3 (4)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

“Looks like this girl is finally stepping up.” Xiang Ying Dong observed how Jin Xiu socialized and entertained customers from afar, surprised, from the past week she seemed to have transformed into a different person. She was just too inexperienced.

Zuo Zhen was by his side, walking down the stairs. “Don’t you think that she resembles Ming Zhu?” Zuo Zhen tested the waters without leaving a trace. To think that Jin Xiu was wholeheartedly trying to get on Ying Dong’s good side, yet he could not tell at all? “Perhaps so, after all they are sisters. But what’s the point of resembling each other? Ming Zhu’s charisma is like wine, and it’s a treasure that one comes across only once in every hundred years. Jin Xiu this little girl is plain water, she’s much better now, but even so at the most she’s a cup of grape juice now.”

Zuo Zhen smiled. “When Ming Zhu first arrived here, wasn’t she the same too?” Xiang Ying Dong immediately disagreed, “Back then Ming Zhu was the favourite of tycoons, to get her here, I don’t even know how much effort and money I spent. And in the end, all big brother had to do was hook his fingers and take her away, women.”

Zuo Zhen broke off his grumbles, “You didn’t talk to her about Jin Xiu?” Xiang Ying Dong sighed loudly, “The last time I brought her up, she threw her temper. Brother Zhen, please handle such matters yourself in future. Don’t incite me anyway you please, I can’t be bothered to get involved.”

“Oh really? I thought it would be a joy for you to run over to Ming Zhu’s place every day.” As Zuo Zhen ridiculed him, his looked at Jin Xiu from afar. She was smiling, with all her might to hide her shyness and uneasiness. Her made up face, together with this forced smile, looked as though she had put on a mask. But even so, her smile was still so beautiful. If there was something Jin Xiu had that others didn’t, that would be her smile. Gentle, pure, full of trust, as though she had no hidden motives, yet cause even the spring wind to become intoxicated.

Zuo Zhen had never known, that a lady’s smile could be so touching. Didn’t she know that the roads before her, were so dirty and dark? Faced with a man’s wandering hand around her waist and back, Jin Xiu’s smile literally trembled.

Zuo Zhen couldn’t help but frown.  “Ying Dong, weren’t you going to talk to Boss Xing about the land for horse racing, why are you still standing here?” He suddenly felt distracted, and wasn’t willing to stay in this extravagant and gorgeous large hall, breathing in the scents of spirits mixed with perfume.

“Hey, what’s the rush?” Xiang Ying Dong ran after him, “Leaving right after you say so!” Actually, meeting Boss Xing with Xiang Ying Dong, wasn’t Zuo Zhen’s intention. All this way, Xiang Ying Dong was enthusiastic about constructing the horse racing track, he was close to Thomas from the British consulate, so getting the rights was not a problem. The issued lied in the getting the land for this. The land that he had decided on, concerned part of Boss Xing’s tobacco businesses.

To combat this hurdle, after much effort, the reason why Boss Xing didn’t give up, besides the personal reasons he spoke of, was because of the rivalry against Chen Jin Rong. Chen Jin Rong was a famous real estate developer in Shanghai, especially in recent years, his business has grown from strength to strength. His forces had grown in power and were not to be underestimated. As what Qing Gang had observed, Zuo Zhen realized that his power was related to Pudong’s underworld.

Many years ago, He Gang was fighting in chaos, there was clashes between Qing Gang and several of them, but they were suppressed. Back then, the head of Qing Gang was Zuo Zhen’s master, He Chong Jiu. All these years, no one dared to take even one step into Qing Gang’s territory. Just that the situation in Shanghai was increasingly chaotic and treacherous, on the surface everything seemed calm but in reality, Zuo Zhen could already smell the wafting stench of danger. If it were simply matters of Ying Dong’s business, Zuo Zhen would not interfere.

The business interactions, obvious attacks and hidden traps, Ying Dong was more than capable of handling, unless he asked for help, there was no reason for Zuo Zhen to enter muddied waters. He only feared that the above board competition, involved the secret forces of the gangs.

After making a name for himself in the Shanghai Bund, advancing with every step was the lesson that Zuo Zhen gained in exchange for his blood. The more dangerous, the more calm, was his distinctive style. The meeting place would be at Lion Grove. The reason for meeting at night and at a club, would make it seem less like a formal discussion but rather a chance to interact and understand each other better. Yet it could also be an opportunity to test the depth of relationship between Boss Xing and Shen Jin Rong.

The upside was that although Boss Xing was an outsider from Guang Dong, but he knew about the situation and rules there, and fully receptive to Ying Dong’s hospitality. This banquet, both hosts and guests thoroughly enjoyed themselves, the atmosphere was warm. With regards to the actual topic at hand, Boss Xing avoided it time and again, Xiang Ying Dong didn’t push it further, and Zuo Zhen looked on coldly. The situation looked lively and joyous, as though everyone were long time friends, but both were standing on different sides, thinking different thoughts.

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 3 (5)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

When the banquet ended and people started leaving, it was already late at night. When Zuo Zhen walked out from the club, Tang Hai had already ordered the chauffeur to wait at the main entrance. Helped him to put on his coat, Tang Hai asked worriedly, “Er Ye drank a lot?”

Zuo Zhen shook his head, actually he had not drank much today, but he wasn’t sure why, he felt a tad stuffy, and a the alcohol rushing up. “I’ll walk alone, you don’t need to follow.”

Zuo Zhen took a breath of the cool air, suppressing his tipsiness. He really wanted have some solitude in this cold night, the busyness of the past few days, entertainment in the night, the noise of the dance songs, the debauchery, he was truly sick of all these. Tang Hai was stunned and at a loss as he stood unmoving, wanting to catch up but not daring to do so.

It was already late in the night, why was Er Ye wandering around outside? Zuo Zhen came to a rest, surprised as he tilted his head to listen, it was from some kind of flute, a mellow melody. It was not far from Lion Grove’s backyard, he didn’t know how he ended up here. But from what he knew, there was no one living there, where did the music come from then?

He followed the sound and slowly walked towards it, stopping at the gates at the backyard of Lion Grove. The metal gates lay nestled among the lilac flowers, it was locked, the surroundings dark, blending into the night, with only the light scent of flowers hanging in the air. At this point, he could hear very clearly, it was unknown song, drifting from the garden. It was the flute.

From the gap among the flowers, he could see that the person blowing the flute at the south shelter, looking through the metal gate at this angle, he could not see clearly. Thankfully the moon was bright tonight, Zuo Zhen could recognize the long plait of the lady, who else could it be besides Jin Xiu?

She wasn’t completely facing the metal gate, her body was slightly turned, leaning on the railing, dressed in white, not certain if it were silk or satin, lightly swaying in the wind. She was blowing into a long purple bamboo flute, the flute was slightly tilted downwards, as was her head. Under the moonlight, she seemed to have been enveloped in the mist of the night, every feature of hers was so beautiful that they seemed like a dream, the hand holding on to the flute was snow white like jade, as though shimmering with a light glow.

The music from the flute was low and meandering, spiraling in the night wind. There was something on her mind, Zuo Zhen didn’t know anything about music, but, anyone with ears would be touched by the melancholy in the music.

In the dark, Zuo Zhen was unmoving. Rong Jin Xiu could actually play the flute so well? He still remembered when he saw her in Lion Grove, she did mention about knowing how to play the flute, but no one placed much importance on this, since this wasn’t a skill that could feed her. This rang in his ears, so what she said was true.

Zuo Zhen placed one hand on the metal gate, and couldn’t help himself but laugh. What irony, he and Ying Dong had actually made fun of Jin Xiu for not being able to play the piano. Back in her hometown, she was probably a lady who rarely ventured out, yet now she had descended into such a dirty place. The elites of upper class society, Xiang Ying Dong included all prefered the luxuriousness of the piano. As for Jin Xiu’s flute, it was just like her intentions, difficult to receive Ying Dong’s appreciation.

Zuo Zhen’s heart was warmly swaying. All these years, making his mark along bloody rainstorms, moving between wealth and destitution, he had long forgotten the feeling of being moved. He was an orphan, abandoned by his parents since young, he had slept under bridges, and had been a beggar and thief before. At six he was adopted by his master and became a small follower of Qing gang. Now his position and wealth had come from the blood and tears he had sacrificed.

Although his life looked glorious, he knew that those were all emblemishments. To ingratiate himself with the hypocrisy of the upper class society, he had to hide the truth in his heart. To escape the loneliness of the night, he used money to buy smiles every night, until he felt exhausted.

But just right here at the moment, at this time and place, he suddenly felt at peace. In the dark, the music was like jade, and had an unspeakable sense of peacefulness. Shrouded in moonlight, in the music from the flute, amidst the light scent of the flowers, every note spoke right to his heart. A foreign warm atmosphere floated all around. It was truly unimaginable, from a lady picked up from the streets.

Especially since there was already someone in heart, and that “someone” was actually his brother. Zuo Zhen couldn’t help but smile bitterly, what spell was he under? Just a girl, like what Ying Dong said, “a best grape juice”, how could she easily touch his heart? All the time he had spent in pleasurous quarters, he had seen all kinds of gorgeous beauties, what kind of woman not be putty in his hands, would he need to trouble himself over a girl like Rong Jin Xiu?

He was not so hungry to have to whet his appetite with Ying Dong’s woman.

• 3 weeks later...

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 4 (1)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

“Er Ye, Ying Shao sent someone to inform you, that tonight, Director Qian and Boss Feng are all playing cards, drinking at Bai Le Men and to invite you over.” Tang Hai said to Zuo Zhen who was buried in all the accounting records.

“I’m not free.” Zuo Zhen impatiently raised his head, “There is so much trouble at the docks, and the collection of debts by the shipyard is a mess, where do I have the time and patience to entertain them?” He slammed the accounts on the table, “I’m feeding a bunch of wastrels, can’t even collect debts properly yet have the nerve to put these before my eyes.”

Uncle Jian who was right beside adjusted his spectacles, fearfully shaking his head at Tang Hai. These two days, Er Ye was in a bad mood, obviously flighty and impetuous, he was typically inexpressive, always distant and cold, even when driven to anger, he would smile even more warmly. What exactly had happened, to cause Er Ye to be so restless that even his underlings could see his unhappiness.

“Tang Hai, get the car ready!” Zuo Zhen could also sensed his own impetuosity, his heart felt dark and vexed, it had been like this for the past few days, feeling strange all over and seemingly dissatisfied with everything. “I’m going to Pujiang shipyard for a bit. Ask Shi Hao and Shao Hui to come along.”

“Yes!” Tang Hai answered loudly, and carefully added, “Er Ye, Brother Hui has gone to receive the ship, you see….”

Zuo Zhen hesitated, that’s right, on behalf of big brother he was smuggling a batch of steel materials to the pier and he had personally sent Shao Hui to handle this matter, just that the ship had not arrived. How could he have forgotten about this?

What was it that caused him constant disruptions?

Bai Le Men night club.

At around ten o’clock at night, it was when there were most number of customers, most of the banquets were coming to an end, amidst all the drinking, the gambling den and dance floor were overcrowded with people. Jin Xiu was in the arms of a balding man with a paunch, instead of calling it dancing, it was more accurate to say he was taking advantage of her.

What was worse was that she was wearing a maroon velvet gown, it was loose at the bottom and that customer’s hand actually lifted up her dress and reached in with his hand. “Woo, soft and smooth…” He closed his eyes, intoxicated, “Truly, a body of smooth skin that is so rare.”

Jin Xiu panicked, her smile disappeared in a second. Zuo Zhen had once said, when a customer got too touchy, she definitely could not retaliate, or else she would be smashing her own rice bowl, and ruin the reputation of Bai Le Men. But…she could not longer tolerate this! That sweaty, sticky dirty hand, was crawling like a snake over her body, to the point where just a little more and it would be crawling into her dress. “Mr Zhang!” Jin Xiu suddenly pushed him away, her face turning red and white all at once, “Please show some respect.”

Mr Zhang glared at her in shock, “What did you say, respect? You mean my respect for you?”

Jin Xiu bit her tongue and didn’t make a sound, her breathing quickened.

“This is such a huge joke, I spend money, you give me your company, you should be respecting me shouldn’t you? I’ve never heard of going to a night club to find some fun yet having to show respect to a dancer girl.”

“I’m here to dance with you, not to sell myself, what right do you have to act this way?” Jin Xiu retorted, “This is a dance hall not a brothel!” In the midst of her anger, she forgot her status, to argue with a customer here, she would definitely be on the losing end. Bai Le Men’s rules, they were all at the back of her mind now, and the surrounding people were starting to pay attention to this commotion.

“Look at this, this is truly something new!” Mr Zhang pointed at Jin Xiu’s nose as he scolded, ” Want to be prostitute, want to have popularity, why pretend to be lofty? Is Bai Le Men a night club or a church?”

The team leader had already heard the commotion and rushed over, “Sorry, sorry,”, extending her humble apologies, “Have a drink to appease your anger, she is new and ignorant. Jin Xiu, hurry up and apologise!”

Seeing how the situation had worsened, even if Jin Xiu was unwilling, she had to bear with it. The waiter had already brought liquor over, she personally poured a cup and offered Mr Zhang, “I’m sorry.”

“Just a sorry and everything will be alright? I have been all over but have never been so embarrassed before, to let a prostitute humiliate me, how am I to face others in future?”

Jin Xiu bit her tongue, tears threatened to flow from her eyes as she tried hard not to try. To be humiliated and scolded in front of so many eyes, this was the first.

“You have now two options, choose one for yourself, either finish drinking this entire bottle as an apology or in front of everyone kneel down and lick my show clean. Or else I’m going to really deal with you!”

Jin Xiu was shaking with anger, leaving the cup behind, she left without looking back. This crazy dog, even if she could not antagonize him, she could at least hide away.

“Thinking of running?” Mr Zhang grabbed hold of Jin Xiu’s hair and dragged her back, “If I don’t teach you a lesson, you probably don’t even know how Zhang is written!”

“Pak!” Jin Xiu’s face was fire hot with the slap that landed, before she regained her senses, a bottle of liquor had already been poured down her throat. Jin Xiu’s hair was being pulled, her limbs flailing, and was choking from the liquor causing it to go all over her face and body.

“Let go!” a cool voice rang out, the place quietened in a moment. Mr Zhang was stunned, raising his head he saw a handsome face, on a faintest trace of a cold smile. This wasn’t…this was…him?!

“She can’t drink, if it’s a must, let me do it.” Zuo Zhen smiled calmly, “Is it alright?”

Shi Hao and Tang Hai looked at each other, worried. They had worked many years for Er Ye and knew his temper, under his calm polite smile, was a boiling rage of anger. For such a small irrelevant matter, was it worth it for Er Ye to barge in? Just a dancer girl who got bullied, that was all, which girl in Bai Le Men hadn’t been taken advantage of by a customer before, it was such a common occurrence.

• 1 month later...

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 4 (2)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

“Zuo…Zuo Er Ye?” Mr Zhang was so rattled that he stuttered. He was just teaching her a lesson, how could this possibly affect this big shot? Even if one has never eaten pork, one has surely seen it before, with regards to Zuo Zhen, he might not have interacted with him but he had heard a lot about Qing Gang. This was someone he could not afford to offend.

He loosened his hands, and Jin Xiu immediately slipped towards the ground. Zuo Zhen held on to her, “Are you alright, Jin Xiu?” Her hair was in a mess, her face splashed with liquor and a red hand mark imprinted on her face, coughing as her tears mixed with snot, trying her best to catch her breath.

Zuo Zhen’s teeth were clenched.

“This… I wouldn’t dare.” Mr Zhang knew that things were amiss, “Since Er Ye has already spoken, I wouldn’t dare say no. Just let this matter go, hehe, it’s alright.”

“Oh? It looks like I’ve arrived at the wrong time and spoilt your mood.” Zuo Zhen ordered,”Ah Hao, take Jin Xiu to the side to rest.”

Mr Zhang bowed as though he was about to exit but was stopped by Zuo Zhen, “Don’t leave in a hurry, that bottle of liquor just now, let me drink on behalf of Jin Xiu, to compensate you.”

Mr Zhang was so shocked that his face turned white, “Please don’t, Er Ye, I was just kidding around, please don’t take it for real….”

A cup of liquor splashed on his eyes, breaking his sentence. Zuo Zhen leisurely held the liquor bottle, stopping in front of him, “I wouldn’t take it for real. I was just teaching you, Bai Le Men isn’t a place where anyone can simply throw their weight around.”

Mr Zhang broke out in cold sweat.

He knew that today, it would not be easy to walk out from this day. Who has heard of Zuo Zhen being lenient when it came to “educating” others? Perhaps he was really unlucky today, he messed with the wrong person. But he had never heard of any relationship between Zuo Zhen and any lady at Bai Le Men!

Zuo Zhen spun the bottle of liquor in his hand, and the liqour splashed all over.

“I’m not going to make things difficult for you, as long as you lick clean all this liquor and take off your pants, you may leave.” Zuo Zhen rubbed the middle of his eyebrows, smiling at him, “But you must lick it all clean, and not leave even a drop behind.”

“This, this….” Mr Zhang even had the thought of getting on his eyes, Zuo Zhen was out to get him, just then, even he were to get down on his knees to lick the liquor, it was impossible to lick up every single drop. The liquor had already splashed all over. And he even had to take off his pants, after taking it off, how was he to face others, there were so many pairs of eyes staring there!

“You’re not willing?” Zuo Zhen clapped his hands, “Good, you have guts.” He reached towards his waist and before Mr Zhang could see what he did, he only heard, “Whoosh”, a short knife had landed before him! The flooring was of hard smooth marble, yet the knife pierced through easily. What quick and horrifying skills, “Since you’re unwilling, then leave behind the hand that slapped her.” Zuo Zhen said impassively. “Make your move now, you can still make it. Should I become impatient, who knows what I would ask for next.”

“Ah!” there was a commotions, everyone turned pale.

Mr Zhang’s face was the color of mud, he didn’t care about anything anymore, he threw himself to his knees, “Er Ye, I was wrong, I wouldn’t dare anymore, please spare me, I, I did not know and have offended Miss Jin Xiu, I’ll apologise to her right away! Let me off this time, I promise, there won’t be a second time!”

Zuo Zhen didn’t say a word and only glanced at Jin Xiu.

Jin Xiu was seated aside, in a mess and pathetic, still with evidence of her tears, still in shock.

Mr Zhang was not stupid either, he threw himself before Jin Xiu and begged, “Miss Jin Xiu, I deserve to die, I am not human, be magnanimous and let me off this time around!” As he spoke, he raised his arm, slapping himself furiously that even his nose bled.

Jin Xiu panicked, “Er Ye, You….let him of, this is….”

Zuo Zhen walked to her side, “This kind of person bullies the meek and fears the strong, I would like to see how long he can continue being so insolent.”

Jin Xiu held on to his sleeve, “Why stoop to the level of people like this, killing him would only dirty your knife, just chase him away and let it be.”

Zuo Zhen held on to her hand, that small hand was cold and shaking, looking at how she pleaded, he couldn’t help but give in. Jin Xiu was timid, this kind of scenes would only scare her.

“Since Jin Xiu has spoken on your behalf, I would let this matter be.” Zuo Zhen also did not want to bloody the floors of Bai Le Men, and ruin Ying Dong’s business, so he curbed his anger. “But remember I don’t care who you bully, only her, if you dare touch her again, you’re dead.”

Mr Zhang barely escaped from the jaws of death and had the crapped scared out of him, he didn’t dare say a word and half ran and crawled out of there in a blink. Perhaps in this lifetime he could no longer take a single step into Bai Le Men.

Shi Hao pulled out the knife from the floor and returned it to Zuo Zhen with both hands. How deep it pierced into the floor was a measure of the anger that Er Ye felt, what exactly was going on? Just because Jin Xiu was humiliated? But Jin Xiu didn’t belong to Er Ye.

“When Ying Shao returns and ask about it, tell him that I took Jin Xiu with me.” Zuo Zhen ordered the speechless team leader, then turned and left.

Shi Hao tactfully turned to Jin Xiu, “Miss Rong, please.”

Jin Xiu was in a mess and could not bear to stay on longer, lowering her head, she hurriedly rushed to follow Zuo Zhen.

• 2 weeks later...

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 4 (3)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

After getting on the car, Zuo Zhen descended into silence.

Jin Xiu placed her hands on her knees, holding on to them tightly, and said nervously,” Thank you.” She was cautious and sensitive, aware that Zuo Zhen wasn’t in a good mood. She had not seen him for more than ten days now, how could it be so coincidental, that he would stumble upon that scene. But thankfully he did, or else she didn’t dare imagine what would happen next.

Jin Xiu didn’t know that Zuo Zhen had intentionally avoided her the past few days. Just now, after coming back from the shipyard, he didn’t plan on going to Bai Le Men, but for some strange reason, when the car passed by Hong Kou road, he changed his mind at the last minute. Zuo Zhen closed his eyes, his throat feeling dry, just now the scene he witnessed at Bai Le Men, left him fuming! If Jin Xiu had not pulled him back and for the fact that the place belonged to Ying Dong, he didn’t deserve the surname Zuo if he had not chopped that dog’s hand off.

But, a voice inside kept asking, “Zuo Zhen, what spell are you under? Getting so angry over a woman, was it necessary?”

They soon reached Lion Grove, Jin Xiu got down the car, walked to the door and couldn’t help but turn to take a look. Zuo Zhen’s car had already driven far away, leaving behind a trail of exhaust gases, floating away. What happened was just like a nightmare.

He came, thankfully he came.

A month later, it was already November, the weather was cold, but though it was cold Lion Grove and Bai Le Men’s business got even better. In a few days time, Bai Le Men would be holding a banquet, organized by the French consulate.

Jin Xiu had danced a few dances and was perspiring, so she pulled the guest beside her to the table to drink. She couldn’t really drink hence spoke more than she drank. After being at Bai Le Men for such a long time, she had already learnt some tips and tricks, although she wouldn’t be taken advantage of, she was still far away from being the most popular.

Ying Shao got to know her better and would occasionally chat and joke with her. Jin Xiu was satisfied as long as she could see him every day. Seeing him in good spirits, no matter where he appeared he was always the centre of attention, just looking at him like this was an enjoyment in itself.

On the other hand Zuo Zhen rarely visited. Only appearing every three to five days, leaving before barely saying anything. With regards to this, Jin Xiu felt wistful, although Zuo Zhen was a difficult person to get close to, but she didn’t know why, she felt that he was warmer than the others. Perhaps because he was always reaching out to help the past few times, or perhaps he looked especially kind and warm, making one feel at ease.

Sometimes, without his guidance, Jin Xiu was really confused about the complicated network of relationships. Also, when she faced Ying Dong along, she was always especially nervous, afterwards always regretting that she didn’t speak appropriately or not dealing with certain matters properly. With Zuo Zhen around, he seemed to have the ability to resolve all these and leave Jin Xiu feeling relaxed.

So, when sending a guest out, seeing Zuo Zhen and Ying Dong walk in together, there was a burst of joy in her heart.

“Ying Shao, Er Ye, it has been long since you visited together.” Jin Xiu smiled so widely that her eyes were like crescents.

“We only met yesterday, could it be that you’re missing me already?” Xiang Ying Dong joked, “Or do you miss Er Ye?”

Jin Xiu blushed. “What are you saying, I’ve not even thought about it. Ying Shao why do you make fun of Er Ye and me?”

Xiang Ying Dong laughed, “Your  thoughts are so obvious, everyone knows.”

Jin Xiu didn’t know to be angry or worried, her heart beat quickened—these words he said, what did they mean? Could it be that he already could tell how she felt towards him? But she didn’t express it in any way.

Zuo Zhen took off his coat and scarf and passed them to Tang Hai who was standing behind, “The weather is too cold, let’s drink to warm ourselves. Jin Xiu, join us too.”

A row of people walked up the stairs, towards the private room that Zuo Zhen usually occupied. Because he visited often, Xiang Ying Dong ordered that it would be reserved for him, even if he did not come, this room would be left vacant.

Jin Xiu busied herself with lighting up the charcoal, warming up the liquor and ordering dishes. Zuo Zhen leaned back in his chair watching her pour water, hand out napkins, use hot water to rinse the cups, adding ginger and cinnamon to the pot of liquor. Her sleeves were a light apricot colour, rolled up, they revealed snow white wrists, adorned by a thin engraved bangle. For some reason, although it was something simple like serving water and warming liquor, when it was by Jin Xiu there was a certain elegance and demureness about it. Every move she made was like floating clouds and flowing water, giving one an inexplicable sense of comfort.

So, even though she had been at Bai Le Men for so long, in Zuo Zhen’s eyes, the way she treated guests was tender and indulging, and he never felt like she was a hostess.

锦绣缘 ~ Cruel Romance ~ Chapter 4 (4)Translated by tumbleintofantasy

Xiang Ying Dong wiped his hands and face with the napkin that Jin Xiu gave, oblivious to her glances, and casually tossed it back into the basin, complaining to Zuo Zhen,”That Xing guy doesn’t know how to judge the situation, even after talking to him time and time again, he still finds excuses to reject. Dragging this out for so long, can’t even settle the issues with the land, look even the construction plans for the horse racing track for next year is at a standstill.”

Zuo Zhen lightly creased his forehead. “The planning for a horse racing track concerns too many aspects, and requires a lot of investments, the risk is huge.”

“Which is why I’m taking this so seriously,” Ying Dong sighed, “The money I’ve thrown in is quite a bit, the later we start work, the larger the losses. This time around, I must succeed. That brat Shen Tong Kang, the turf club he invested with those Caucasians in Guangzhou, makes 2 million in pure profits a year. To open one in Shanghai is a business that’s sure to bring in the money.”

“Such a lucrative business, many will have their eye on it for sure.” Zuo Zhen stood up to stretch his back, “In my opinion, there’s someone behind Boss Xing who’s making trouble.”

Xiang Ying Dong narrowed his eyes, pondered and said, “You mean… Shen Jing Rong?”

“Perhaps, but it isn’t confirmed.” Zuo Zhen turned, “Shen Jing Rong might not be honest but Xie Bao Sheng seems tempted, and crazily so. I’ve heard that when big brother ran for the position of director for the chamber of commerce, he wanted in as well. Logically, just based on their ability, they should not dare to challenge us.”

Xiang Ying Dong looked at him, “I’ve discussed this with big brother as well, he isn’t very supportive of me investing in the horse racing club, saying that firstly the investment required is large and it would be difficult to withdraw in case of any risks; secondly that piece of land is the spotlight of many strong forces, he didn’t wish for me to the target of public criticism.”

Zuo Zhen smiled, “But what you’ve already decided upon, I’m afraid big brother can’t convince you otherwise.”

“That’s right, I want to take a chance.” Xiang Ying Dong set aside his couldn’t care less attitude, “If I win the bet, I’d be the biggest winner in the Shanghai next year.”

Zuo Zhen picked up the picked up the liquor jug on the stove and poured a cup for himself, Jin Xiu passed him a few luohan beans, placing them in the heart of his hand. Zuo Zhen was a bit shocked, he liked snacking on luohan beans, but had never mentioned it before, how did Jin Xiu know?

Xiang Ying Dong said something again, Zuo Zhen came to his senses, “What?”

“Forgetting friends in the presence of beauty.” Xiang Ying Dong jokingly chided, “I’m discussing official matters, please pay attention.”

Zuo Zhen drank a mouth of liquor, “When I drink I don’t discuss official matters, you’re the one who insisted on having this discussion.”

“As I was saying, if Shen, Xie have people backing them up, it must be from the triads, you must take note and investigate.” Xiang Ying Dong added, “Recently the situation is messy, be careful in all you do.”

Zuo Zhen laughed, “When have I not been careful? Rather you, always philandering, still out on the streets in the middle of the night, you’re in the light, they are in the dark, watch out yourself.”

“Philandering? Buddy, you’re exaggerating things, this month I’ve been so busy over the horse racing track, where to find the time for women? Only been to Ming Zhu’s twice and that was with big brother.” Xiang Ying Dong seemed to recall something, “That’s right, Ming Zhu said, next week we’re holding the welcome banquet for the consulate, big brother will bring her along to attend.”

Jin Xiu raised her head in surprise.

Ming Zhu was going to visit? Did she know that she was working in Bai Le Men as a hostess?

“She already knows.” Zuo Zhen seemed to know what she was thinking, “I was the one who told her.”

Jin Xiu lowered her hate, “She hates me.”

Zuo Zhen answered, “On the contrary, Ming Zhu is someone who’s bark is worse than her bite, it was probably in a moment of anger. No matter what, you’re sisters by blood, whether she admits or not, it is an irrevocable fact.”

When Yin Ming Zhu wore a black off shoulder gown and stepped onto the red carpeted steps, her smile mesmerizing, that shook up that night in Shanghai.

Jin Xiu held her breath as she watched her walk into the main hall elegantly, she captured the attention of all the guests, their gazes unwavering, and she seemed to be used to such scenes. A woman, can be beautiful to such an extent? No wonder she would be so popular even in a place like Bai Le Men, which was already full of beauties, no wonder despite her status she would become Xiang Han Chuan’s woman, no wonder whenever people talked about her, they did so with enviousness and jealousy.

Jin Xiu’s face was flushed, her eyes bright and sparkly, a little excited and agitated, and felt a little inadequate. Whether Ming Zhu was going to acknowledge her or not, liked her or not, it wouldn’t change the fact that Ming Zhu was her elder sister, right? The same blood flowed within this legendary beauty.

Archived