UPDATED-Hilary Duff opens up about divorce: 'I'm definitely not bitter'

sugarplum892

Hilary Duff and her husband Mike Comrie are separating.
The couple confirmed in an official statement that they are ending their four-year marriage.
Mike Comrie, Hilary Duff and Luca Cruz Comrie Hilary Duff arrives at LAX airport to catch a flight with her husband and their son Los Angeles, California - 15.11.12

Their representative said: "Hilary Duff and husband Mike Comrie have mutually decided to an amicable separation.
"They remain best friends and will continue to be in each other's lives. They are dedicated to loving and parenting their amazing son, and ask for privacy at this time."
Duff also addressed her and Comrie's split on Twitter earlier today.
Comrie - a former NHL player - and Duff are parents to a son named Luca Cruz Comrie, who was born in March 2012.
Duff is best known for her starring roles in Lizzie McGuire and Cheaper by the Dozen.
Source

• 3 months later...

class="headline" style="margin: 0px 0px 10px; padding: 0px; font-size: 26px; line-height: 1.21em; font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Hilary Duff on Mike Comrie Separation: There's a Chance We Might Get Back TogetherHilary Duff on Mike Comrie Separation: There's a Chance We Might Get Back Together

Hilary Duff and Mike Comrie announced in January that they would be separating after almost four years of marriage.
But Duff, 26, and Comrie, 33, have been spotted together as of late, so E! News asked the singer and actress if a reunion was on the horizon for the couple, who are parents to a son, Luca, 2.
"We are constantly seen together and everyone's like, 'What are they doing? Are they back together, are they not?'" Duff told E!'s Giuliana Rancic. "We are really good friends and we have so much respect for each other, and, obviously, Luca is our No. 1 priority."
Duff had a very mature take on the situation she's in right now.
"I think we got to a point where we were like, 'We really need to honor happiness and whatever that is,' and however we need to sort that out or work that out, we're doing that," she said. "We love each other so much and we love spending time together. So when you see us out it's not just for Luca, it's because we make plans and we hang out. And we don't know what our future looks like right now, but we're both doing really good and just figuring out what makes us happy."
Back in January, People magazine reported Duff and Comrie tried to work out their issues in couples therapy, but it ultimately became clear that they "work better as friends."
"There was no major incident -- no big event between the two of them. They really did drift apart," a source told the magazine. "They have put effort and thought into this decision for a long time. ... And they really are great friends."
Source

• 9 months later...

class="headline" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1424539762944_645" style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 35px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; line-height: 42px; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; margin: 0px; padding-top: 15px; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-right: 40px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Hilary Duff Files For Divorce From Estranged Husband Mike Comrie After Hockey Pro Has Alleged Drunk Night Out: Report1424480407_hilary-duff-mike-comrie-artic

So yesterday! Hilary Duff is officially done with her four year marriage to Mike Comrie. After a year of separation, the Lizzie McGuire star has finally filed for divorce from the hockey pro, TMZ reports.

According to the site, Duff, who has hired celeb attorney Laura Wasser, cited irreconcilable differences and is seeking primary physical custody of their son Luca, who turns 3 next month. 
The news of the filing comes after Comrie reportedly had a wild drunken night out in Beverly Hills, Calif., where he allegedly was hitting on waitresses at swank eatery Mastros. According to TMZ, Duff wants Comrie to have visitation rights to their son but sources tell the site she’s concerned about his partying.
Despite their separation, the filing comes as somewhat of a shock after the couple have been spotted spending time together and seemed more than amicable.
During a interview on The Kyle and Jackie O Show in September 2014, Duff even revealed there may have been hope for their marriage.
"I mean, if there wasn't a chance for getting back [together], I think we would've filed for divorce," the star said. In a separate interview with Us Weekly in May, Duff said they were "not in a rush for anything,” adding they were "just trying to enjoy our lives and figure out what makes us happy and it's working for us."

Source

• 2 weeks later...

Hilary Duff opens up about divorce: 'I'm definitely not bitter'
Hilary Duff has opened up about her decision to divorce husband Mike Comrie.
The singer and actress cited irreconcilable differences when she filed for divorce from the former hockey player last month.

Hilary Duff in Cosmopolitan's April '15 issue

The split was described as "amicable", with the pair having initially separated in January 2014 after four years of marriage.
Duff, who covers the April issue of Cosmopolitan, told the magazine: "Mike and I were very in love when we met. 
"We both really wanted to get married. I'd been working since the age of 11 or 12, so making that choice at a young age seemed right for me. Maybe it wasn't, but we spent the majority of our time together really happy. It wasn't working well enough to stay together, but there was still a lot of love involved.
Hilary Duff in Cosmopolitan's April '15 issue

"It was just a slow set-in of us not being the match that we used to be. I'm lucky for the person he is and I am and how we decided to handle this."
Discussing her current view of marriage, she explained: "I don't want to sound bitter because I'm definitely not, but I don't know if people are meant to be together forever. Things happen over a long relationship that you can't always fight. 
"A marriage of 20 years, the accomplishment of that must feel really great, but there are also huge sacrifices. I just always want to fight for happiness."
Hilary Duff on Cosmopolitan's April '15 cover

The 'All About You' singer also laughed off Aaron Carter's recent declarations of love on Twitter.
"Him reaching out through social media? It's ridiculous!" she told the magazine. "But then people do it all the time, like Chris Brown and Karrueche? Come on, guys. Keep it between text messages."
The full interview appears in the April issue of Cosmopolitan, available March 10.
Source

• 2 weeks later...
Guest glamazon21

I was kind of surprised by the news but at the same time she's only 27, she married and had a family pretty young. But it looks like she's really enjoying motherhood and that seems to be her #1 priority right now :)

I think I was more heart-broken when she and Joel Madden split and then he suddenly got together with Nicole Richie (who is kind of similar to Hilary in looks) and they had kids. 

Archived