DAESANG COUPLE 2014: Jun Ji Hyun/Cheon Song Yi/Yenicall ♥ Kim Soo Hyun/Do Min Joon/Zampano

Guest safiresea

• Replies 16.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jun Ji-hyun: “I know how I look. So I don’t mind my make-up.”

Jun Ji-hyun (image courtesy of Yonhap)

Seoul, July 21 (Korea Bizwire)-Recalling the time when Jun Ji-hyun(34) started to gain attention as a star actress, many would choose the film ‘The Thieves’, which was directed by Choi Dong-hoon and released in 2012.  

At a sly comment degrading her looks by asking if her pretty face was the result of plastic surgery, ‘Yenicall’ from ‘The Thieves’ shouts, “Do you know how hard it is to be born like this?” It was the perfect character for Jun Ji-hyun, and her acting was praised as well. 

As if she were saying thank-you to the director that gave her a new opportunity, Jun decided to star in director Choi’s next film, ‘Assassination’ even before the screenplay had been released.  

At a café in Samcheong-dong, the star said she was very confident and had no worries when she made the decision. 

“When I was shooting ‘The Thieves’, the chemistry between the director and I was really good. Likes and dislikes and even the parts that we weren’t sure about were mutual. Since we had an understanding, I felt great pleasure whenI was acting. Once when we were shooting, the director ran towards me and told me to act without breathing. I didn’t fully understand, but I did as he said. Afterwards, when I looked at the monitor to check my performance, I was surprised to see how effective his advice had been. That was a time when I had a new epiphany about acting.” 

The influenced she absorbed continued to show on her next film,’Berlin’(2012), directed by Ryu Seung-wan, and the drama that hit China as well as Korea, ‘A Man from Another Star’(2013). The positive appraisals that she received for those performances were huge helping hands on her recent film, Assassination. 

Jun Ji-hyun2

“I think confidence is more than half of what I need when I act. If I had starred in ‘Assassination’ before ‘Berlin’ and ‘A Man from Another Star’, there might have been a lot of pressure. I think the timing was right. You experience more as you age. Even if you play the same character in the same film, the way you express that character would be different last year and this year.” 

The character Jun Ji-hyun plays in ‘Assassination’ is more than a sniper fighting in an army for national independence. Her role is not that of a female character who spices up a film dominated bymale actors. In a movie that shows the lives of independence fighters that didn’t have a name, her character represents the whole independence army. 

“I really wanted to play that character well. It is a character that can seldom be seen in Korean films, and also an opportunity that doesn’t come along often. Actress Jun Ji-hyun shouldn’t be the weakness of the character.  

When I was preparing for the part of Ahn Ok-yoon, I told the director I would show my improvement. But when I started to study the character, there was so much that I didn’t know where to begin. So I narrowed it down. The events actually occurred in Korea, and the movie is adding fiction to that fact, so I focused on the history and facts and started to build up my character. Then I began to feel a bit more comfortable.” 

She also comments that she is happy with her life now that she can concentrate on acting.  

“There aren’t many things that a person can concentrate on. After all, we all do the same things starting from the moment we wake up, and among those things, how many can we really focus on? When I’m acting, I am so focused, and I don’t feel hunger or pain. It feels like the fact that I am concentrating on acting is my only pleasure in life. I think I became able to express more and get more positive feedback because I’m having fun and enjoying myselfas I act.” 

The first golden age of Jun Ji-hyun came in the early 2000s when the movie ‘My Sassy Girl’ (2001) was a huge hit, and the commercial where she danced to techno music became a cultural icon. 

Now, she just smiles and says she was young back then. 

“I had confidence then too, but I was so eager to do a good job, I didn’t even know whether I was doing it right or wrong.”

Between that period and the second golden era now, she didn’t have a piece that could count as something memorable. But she recalled that she wasn’t anxious at all.  

“I was in my mid 20s. People in their 20s are young. I knew that this was rather a start than an end. It was part of being an actress, and it was what I had to continue. I still have the same standards when it comes to choosing a role. I just choose what I want to do.” 

Jun Ji-hyun3

About her recent performances, she calmly states that she was just lucky to have such a huge success. 

She selected ‘Berlin’ as a piece that received positive feedback when it was the last thing she expected, and about ‘A Man from Another Star’, which is definitelythe role she is most known for now, she explains, “It was lucky for me to come across the drama. And I didn’t act, I was possessed by CheonSongi”. 

After ‘Happy Together’(1999), where Jun was featured in a supporting role, there was a 14-year gap before she starred in ‘A Man from Another Star’. 

“Did you know it was my first time being the main actress in a drama?” Her eyes twinkled. 

“Once I started, there was no coming back. I had some time on my hands after agreeing to star in ‘Assassination’. While director Choi was writing the scenario for ‘Assassination’, I came across the script. Writer Park Ji-eun had a good vibe, so I decided to do it. But once I started, it was so different from shooting movies. I was only sleeping properly once a week, and the scenes are shot as if it was a live show. I had no personal time.  

As it came to the end, the scripts were running late, and I hardly had time to practice my lines. Then I was just possessed by the character. And that character has a lot of lines. Everyone was worried that I would forget the lines and have to cut. But I could see the script floating around in my head. It really felt as if I were CheonSongi.”(laughs) 

Mid-thirties can be hard times for actresses. But Jun was comfortable with comedic scenes in ‘A Man from Another Star’, as well as the action in’Assassination’, and as she was acting, she didn’t mind her appearance.

“I’m not in my 20s anymore.  

And people know what I look like. Also, people who lived during the time of ‘Assassination’ wouldn’t have had much makeup on. (laughs) I was worried, but you can’t act freely once you start to think about so many things. I had to throw away my thoughts so that I could act decently, expressing a fine character, and pleasing the people who saw the film.” 

Jun got married around the same time that she started to show a change in her development as an actress. Some say marriage has brought her stability and helped her to be a better actress. But she says that she was a positive soul way before her marriage and hasn’t changed because of it.  

“I think people seem to be more generous to me after I got married. There used to be people that thought I’m a ‘star’ rather than an ‘actress’. I just think they had high standards. But I guess that some people see me changed after my marriage more than me.” 

When asked what it was like to live as an actress, she replied that she only needs to be ‘special in front of the camera’, and had pretty much the same life as everyone else as a wife.  

“I guess I had way too many thoughts when I was young. I thought I was special, or sometimes I thought the world around me was trivial. Now, I think that I only have to be special in front of the camera. I’m the same as everyone else at home. I do things all by myself. I’m quite industrious so I keep doing something at home. I know exactly where everything is.” 

http://koreabizwire.com/jun-ji-hyun-i-know-how-i-look-so-i-dont-mind-my-make-up/38935#respond

Hi chingu I guess most of you knew about JJH's pregnancy new. The biggest-nightmare is here. Lol. I was shaking when RachelleN told me. And my mind totally went blank. I've have an experienced in shipping a Filipino couple before. Does it hurt this time? Yes! Of course. I'm sad yet I'm happy for her. Yes I am that bipolar, right now I can happily accept the news, I just need 30 minutes to be okay. LOL

Been here for more than a year. I guess the old members knew how difficult it was. I know this news will eventually came. I know shipping them is wrong. I feel like I'm loving a drug addict, when the family and the whole world would like me to stop. But I just can't help but to keep n loving them. People hate us for existing. And I know some people will laugh at us right now. Some people will be  happy not because of JJH's pregnancy but they are happy we are sad. But I don't mind, as long as I have you guys I don't care what others say.

Yes, all this while I'm still following this thread. I can be hiatus for years, but my heart won't. 

I'm so much thankful for the experience in shipping Jericho Rosales and Kristine Hermosa before. I taught me A LOT. Yes, I'm giving up on them but this time that experience made me stronger and I WILL NEVER STOP shipping Kim Soo Hyun and Jun Ji Hyun.

I told myself before that even though everyone in this ship even uri President will leave, I can forseen that I will always stay here in bad or good time. This is the future that I've seen. With JJH's pregnancy news, Red is still here. And I guess when the news about KSH's dating, Red will always stay. I guess, no matter how much this heart getting hurt, Red can never be stop. Can you see how much I really love them? Yes, all this time I'm struggle to move on yet, my heart still keep on loving this two people. Kim Soo Hyun and Jun Ji Hyun.  

So chingu. I know you are sad but don't worry that feeling will go away. Time heals almost everything. Trust me. We just need time. I said this based of my experience. Let's pray for JJH and KSH happiness. This is not the end chingu. I will be on another long hiatus again this time. My heart needs time too.

Thank you so much chingu. Congrats to JJH and husbanned and also for JJH's fan who had been waiting this news.  I bet the baby will be so beautiful. So, chingu if you want to still ship them, if you are truly love them. Don't talk bad about the people around them. There's no point, it will just bring a temporary happiness to us. "If you love someone, you let them go."

Cheers chingu. 

I'm redspider and still a proud shipper of KSH-JJH. :wub:

There is one article mention that JJH actually turn down the offer of MLFTS. But KSH refused and the directer refused to give up on her. I don't know about you all chingu...but let's learn from KSH... 

With this the most bitter sweet news, I would like to say RED REFUSED TO GIVE UP too. How can you give up on someone that you loved right?

Takecare chingu. Please don't forget me Redspider! Peace yoooo. :)

Hi yall!! I know jjh' pregnancy isn't at the very top of our "news we want to hear" list. It's okay to be a little upset. We are entitled to our own feelings:) don't feel bad. It's okay to be delusional. Really. 

think about how sweet ksh (as if he wasn't already before) will be to her especially now she is with child and is all vulnerable and precious<3 

i do hope that jjh will still attend whatever Chinese talent show that she's suppose to be on? I mean that is really the last time we can see 2 hyun together:))) 

also the other half of our ship is also facing some problems of his own. If you all haven't already know, news broke that he has a half sister. It may not be the truth but his 'sister is trying to use her so called relationship with ksh to gain attention as she dreams of becoming an artist. It may not be the truth but it could be... Just saying.  .. Imagine how upsetting it is.

Hi yall!! I know jjh' pregnancy isn't at the very top of our "news we want to hear" list. It's okay to be a little upset. We are entitled to our own feelings:) don't feel bad. It's okay to be delusional. Really. 

think about how sweet ksh (as if he wasn't already before) will be to her especially now she is with child and is all vulnerable and precious<3 

i do hope that jjh will still attend whatever Chinese talent show that she's suppose to be on? I mean that is really the last time we can see 2 hyun together:))) 

I'm happy for JJH and I love her so much as much as i love KSH. Yet my heart  still goes for Hyunhyun. There's no turning back.

Guest rochellovesJJHandKSH

It almost whole day i can't log in then after my net is okay i see this news about JJH pregnancy...first i want to congrats her and this stage is a difficult one so Goddess take care....

I am still in shock i don't know what will happen here or what will i do then after reading this news... is this the end of shipping them?So many question on my mind right now....

We prepare food for dinner last night then right now after i read the news from JJH thread i told my sister too about the news she also sad like me dont have appetite to eat. I just want to cry i feel so sad right now chingu....Just like @redspider i am not giving up i am still here to ship them because i love them...

Please chingus don't leave this home....i will ship them FOREVER!!! 

I don't leave this thread i am here FOREVER!!! for uri JJH and KSH

It almost whole day i can't log in then after my net is okay i see this news about JJH pregnancy...first i want to congrats her and this stage is a difficult one so Goddess take care....

I am still in shock i don't know what will happen here or what will i do then after reading this news... is this the end of shipping them?So many question on my mind right now....

We prepare food for dinner last night then right now after i read the news from JJH thread i told my sister too about the news she also sad like me dont have appetite to eat. I just want to cry i feel so sad right now chingu....Just like @redspider i am not giving up i am still here to ship them because i love them...

Please chingus don't leave this home....i will ship them FOREVER!!! 

I don't leave this thread i am here FOREVER!!! for uri JJH and KSH

We are not leaving. Would you like to join us in FB room? Chingus from soompi are all there. 

Guest rochellovesJJHandKSH

finally sign-in... hays...

@rochellovesJJHandKSH yes we are not leaving our home.. we will still keep on sailing...

keep on sailing chingu even we are hurt inside...we can't dictate the future ahead...

I will stay here as long as u are here all..FIGHTING!!!

We are happy for her and still nothing change our love for her...

As long as i have a copy of MLFTS on my phone and my laptop too i will make myself happy watching them as a couple and that moment will stuck on my mind forever....

OMO my poor shipper hearing JJH's pregnancy hehehe but I'm happy for her, I'm just laughing out loud reading those cray-cray shippers in fb page, they were asking who is the father...hahaha or if KSh is the father wahahahaha :D

Guest ericababy01

i just read about unnie's pregnancy in all-kpop's FB article. and i had a minor heart attack, no kidding. i mean, it felt as if my heart stopped beating for a couple of seconds. it did hurt pretty bad. i am so ruined. tho we did hear predictions about her getting pregnant months back, still the reality of it did not soften the blow.

yes, i will be unhappy. but the child is a blessing, and im sure she wanted this. so i will put up a congratulatory smile and be glad, but my heart is crying deep deep down.

oh KSH, what do we do now??!!

Guest KJlovestars111

If they are meant to be together they will, may not be today but may be in the future. No one knows what gonna happen tomorrow. Loving them is already part of my life. Now all I can do is to wish them well, wait and see. 

Guest ericababy01

you may all think and feel that i am selfish. i have to agree with you, and i hate myself for not being able to accept this fact. a baby is always a blessing, i know - i've got two boys of my own, and i love them to bits. it's the kind of love i'd like all women to have -- wonderful, special in every way.

i will be happy knowing JJH will soon come to know this kind of love, i just hope "someone else" was at her side as she goes through this special moment in every woman's life.

my poor shipper heart will always long for his couple, and i am so damned :'(

Guest KidsPhantom

I know many guys this shippers threads is be shocked to news pregnant of JJH. For me, I'm glad, because child born from beautiful mother as JJH child is shining like JJH.

I feel sorry for the news half - sister of KSH I pity to him. In childhood, he must be very painful.

From news JJH and her husband They're really happy to have a child.We should bless the child are born healthy and happy in a warm family. We should support the family of JJH.

Guest kimuchi

Hello girls  its me again first of all thank you guys for updating this thread. I feel sad reading your post about jjh pregnacy is it confirmed already ? By jjh? I cannot read the article .  If its confirm. thats reality lets accept it and be happy for them it hurts but its okey, i will always remember the day i first watch their drama all the bts ng i fell that they are not acting that lead me to this tread i will alway support them 

Archived