[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

The Rewatch revealed new stuff that slipped past me in the excitement of the other times I watched. I think the Seo family got their due justice, but the writer did not spend time expounding on it. We are left with the knowledge that Seo and Young Woo will live in fear, because OHW still has more dirt on them. OHW also gave the shocked prosecutor info on the deals between prosecutor son in law and Seo.... The writer wanted to focus on OHWs transformation . That's why she had that monologue in court, summing up the reason for the drama. The ending was all about her. 

This time round,the ending didn't feel rushed , and I didn't feel cheated like before, when we've had discussions on this thread .

I'll be rewatching this drama again this year, this time to take notes on how to structure a drama. The writer was genius !!

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Guys, who's following the political developments in Korea? 

I immediately thought of SLA when reading about the theatrics surrounding the President's aide.

When I read that Park Geun-Hye's aide took off from Korea with her daughter who isn't qualified to be in Ehwa women's university, I immediately thought of the fake investment woman / shaman/ insider trading info dispenser and her daughter in SLA....

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

I'm rewatching  SLA yet again....... Episode 9, remember in episode 8, Seon Jae and Hye Won did the deed...... Professor Kang is told  asked by Chancellor Min to let Hye Won prepare him for the competitions. So Professor Kang enters his office and finds Seon Jae in there....

Prof: How was the practice with my wife last night?

LSJ: It wasn't smooth. it was our first try.....

I'm sure this has probably been discussed before but, Oh man!! I'm laughing so hard at the subtext here!! I can't!! Writer-nim is naughty!! I don't know if I missed that scene before, but it's like I'm watching it for the first time!!!

I also think that Oh Hye Won's character is not as elegant as Kim Hee Ae makes her look. When OHW comes to the Hannam house after doing the do with LSJ, she immediately goes to the kitchen to prepare help prepare breakfast for the rich people. She looked like a very basic, glorified servant to me in that moment....

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Hello, chingus!

I am rewatching SLA again. My heart still flutters like the first time. Amazing drama!

I am also remembering the good times we had discussing with you every episode as it aired.

Pity that my wiggly caterpillar was somehow removed from my profile, I have to make a new one to put in the photo.

Have you heard the news BTW - Yoo Ah In is exempt from military service because of illness and injuries. I hope he will get better soon and he will continue to take part in new projects!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

This is the first YAI series I've seen and this is where I feel in love with him. Have seen his movies and other series as well, and I must say, this boy can act. He's on a league of his own. 

The chemistry between the leads was explosive! That huge age difference between the two added spice to their pairing. It made me root for them even if their love was "wrong". I've rewatched this several times and i still feel the same emotions i felt when I first saw it.

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

I have such fond memories of SLA and this forum.  It's what got me to sign up for Soompi :)  I don't dare watching SLA again.  Not yet anyway.   That was way too intense.  I can't afford the time or energy.  I will just live on the good memory of friendship and comradery of this board :)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, seungshin said:

I have such fond memories of SLA and this forum.  It's what got me to sign up for Soompi :)  I don't dare watching SLA again.  Not yet anyway.   That was way too intense.  I can't afford the time or energy.  I will just live on the good memory of friendship and comradery of this board :)

@seungshin where have you been?? I just finished watching My Ahjussi in May and was thinking of you the whole time!!! I never thought there would be a show that would replace SLA for me but this was amazing, something that touched me deeply from inside out.

Oh, I just watched Burning and it was amazing! I missed seeing Yoo Ah In...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, justamom said:

@seungshin where have you been?? I just finished watching My Ahjussi in May and was thinking of you the whole time!!! I never thought there would be a show that would replace SLA for me but this was amazing, something that touched me deeply from inside out.

Oh, I just watched Burning and it was amazing! I missed seeing Yoo Ah In...

Nice to hear from you @justamom.  Didn't expect to get any response from here!  My sister and mom loved My Ahjussi.  I will have to check it out!  Yoo Ah In, yes.  He's certainly one of a kind and SLA is one for sure too.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, seungshin said:

Nice to hear from you @justamom.  Didn't expect to get any response from here!  My sister and mom loved My Ahjussi.  I will have to check it out!  Yoo Ah In, yes.  He's certainly one of a kind and SLA is one for sure too.

SLA is what first got me onto Soompi! I read at least 300 out of the 600 pages here, but it was almost 2 years after the show aired and there was no one here already...and I was so sad because I desperately wanted to talk to someone about the show! I think I must have rewatched it at least thirty times!

My Ahjussi is some mind blowingingly deep goodness. Honestly, it's knocked SLA off the top of my Best Ever Drama list because SLA's ending was kind of rushed and sloppy. My Ahjussi just got better and better to the end. And ended off with a blast. I think you'd love it. The show ended more than a month ago and none of us can forget it. We're still hanging out at the My Ahjussi thread. Come join us there :)

(edit)

If you do watch My Ahjussi, I want to hear what you think! There was a huge, HUGE backlash and controversy about the age gap between Lee Seon Gyun and IU which we all found seriously hypocritical!

We also got inspired by the Piano Conversations blog (who was behind it? Great job!!) and just started something similar for My Ahjussi!

• Like 4

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회
  • 2 months later...

I finished SLA last night and I made an account just to comment on this forum, even though no one posts on this thread anymore.

This was the first Korean drama I have ever finished and it is the best television show I have ever watched. I stayed up until 1am watching it for the last 3 days watching it, even though I had work.

I have never had such a visceral reaction to a show before, and I am not even sure why. The ending wasn’t even that sad, considering we can presume they will be together again in the future, but I have been on the brink of tears all day just thinking about it. 'Piano Man' has been playing over and over in my head all day and it makes me want to cry.

Anyway, I just had to write my thoughts down about SLA somewhere, as I don’t know anyone who has watched it.

I think I will have to start watching more Korean dramas now, but I feel like nothing could ever top this, so I might be disappointed. I watched it on Viki, but discovered half way through that it is also on Netflix, so I am tempted to rewatch it on there already, as I noticed it had a slightly different translation. However, I don’t think my heart can handle rewatching it again yet.

• Like 4

On 10/31/2016 at 2:30 PM, africandramalover said:

Guys, who's following the political developments in Korea? 

I immediately thought of SLA when reading about the theatrics surrounding the President's aide.

When I read that Park Geun-Hye's aide took off from Korea with her daughter who isn't qualified to be in Ehwa women's university, I immediately thought of the fake investment woman / shaman/ insider trading info dispenser and her daughter in SLA....

I remember that, how she took off with her daughter, a thief fleeing in the midst of chaos. Came to re-watch and saw familiar soompi friends here. Going to re watch SLA to see the details you mentioned, and things I missed. Nice to seeing you here 

I am in episode 3 in my re watch and I don't know how I missed this conversation but it was after the foot washing when they were saying their goodbyes. Seon Jae gave Hye Won her coat and called his teacher. She asked how is she his teacher. Seon Jae said it was decided by fate. He said he was a delivery/messenger person who meet many people during deliveries and they only meet him once or even more times but they have no interest in him and he does not have interest in them. However, you listened to me play, you told me you like my music, you asked how I was living, and played the piano with me too, and as if I was reborn. My music loving soul was born again that day. 

Hye Won: That is excessive, when you said that, were you cringing?

Seon Jae: No, I am being sincere. with the most sincerely innocent face

How could HW not be touched by the kid's sincerity? Then Seon Jae emails the "online music teacher" he calls hyung, and talks about meeting a great music teacher whose name is Hye Won not knowing that he was writng to Hye Won herself. 

He describes Hye Won as a woman scary, wild and fun, yet elegant, He is blown away, even her feet are very pretty, asks if falling for a woman with pretty feet is weird. 

Hye Won pauses the email to look at her feet. LOL then asks what is it with the feet

Seon Jae: no it is the woman, it is the scent of a woman and I am about to fall over. 

Hye Won pauses to smell the back of her hands. OMG, and he confesses that he is a virgin, he played music with her and gave his all to the goddess but would the goddess know?

Hye Won: now realizes how SJ feels about her and tells him to drink ice water and go to sleep but she was shaken, definitely shaken 

Maybe it was quite awhile when I last re watched that these conversations seem new to me. But I am being blown away by from the whole conversation.

• Like 3

It's more than 3.5 years since the debut of this (insert an adjective) drama and I am finally in my final year of undergrad music studies and preparing for my final recital. The first piece that came to my mind when deciding on my repertoire was Mozart's Rondo in A minor (of course I had to add in something that was featured in SLA -_-). I thought I'd just share one of my favourite interpretations here (coincidentally by a rising Korean pianist) with fellow SLA fans who still visit this thread or new 'victims' of this drama :D. Enjoy and have a nice day! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8KYGHDU0eo

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Dear Writer-nim and Director-nim,

I am posting to share with you that I understood the message of this drama. I heard it loud and clear already the first time I watched it, but it took me some time to summon courage and take the right decision. Tomorrow is the first day of my new life. I quit being an elegant servant, this caterpillar wants to fulfil her purpose in life and spread her wings as the beautiful butterfly she was meant to be. There was no Lee Sun-Jae to push me to it, but there were you and your ideals that made me remember that I wanted to live free and do what is right.

I hope you read this and feel encouraged to continue, because your work is not in vain! Kamsahamnida!

P.S. To all the chingus from this thread - I still remember you and the meaningful exciting and creative time we had together. I hope you are happy wherever you are! Love from me!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Image result for secret love affair drama photos

Here for a visit after a rewatch in Netflix. I love this drama 

When they ran away to the country and at bedtime, HW told SJ about her life in NYC. It is the same thing as her life in SK, she was a student had a job as a teaching assistant and also an assistant to Young Woo. She talked about waiting for YW at a cafe near the Grand Station and listening to Piano Man. I cried for them. Before they went to the country, SJ had tried to convince HW to give up everything, and start over but HW just did not even listen and left him. The next day she cried her heart out while talking to her friend in her car. She then went to the little eatery by SJ's house where SJ found her and then they took a bus to the country. When they came back from the country, it was SJ's turn to cry. I did not cry when I first watched, but this time I cried especially when they were listening to the song of the Piano Man. 

Image result for secret love affair drama photos

Another fave when they were watching the recording of SJ's performance. Holding hands. laughing and smiling can feel the love. I agree that the imprisonment of HW was not the end, that the son in law will not get what he wants because of the evidence the prosecutor obtained from HW. I imagine my ending as HW given merciful release or early parole and leave prison in a few months. SJ will be performing somewhere in the world and she will meet him and the end.... 

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Hi ! I just watched the first ten episodes in one day thanks to africandramalover because I am currently watching the World of Married. Recently, I became a fan of KHA. I am maybe 6 years late but I think it is for the best. I might have appreciated less SLA in 2014 than now (maybe I was too young haha). This drama is so beautiful and aesthetic. I really love its staging. HW and SJ's love is so pure and selfless. When I watch them, I feel soothed. SLA explored in great depth the psychology of the protagonists. It is so emotional. DAEBAK ! I am looking forward to finishing SLA and reading some of your comments on this forum.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/26/2019 at 12:23 AM, chingulinka said:

Dear Writer-nim and Director-nim,

I am posting to share with you that I understood the message of this drama. I heard it loud and clear already the first time I watched it, but it took me some time to summon courage and take the right decision. Tomorrow is the first day of my new life. I quit being an elegant servant, this caterpillar wants to fulfil her purpose in life and spread her wings as the beautiful butterfly she was meant to be. There was no Lee Sun-Jae to push me to it, but there were you and your ideals that made me remember that I wanted to live free and do what is right.

I hope you read this and feel encouraged to continue, because your work is not in vain! Kamsahamnida!

P.S. To all the chingus from this thread - I still remember you and the meaningful exciting and creative time we had together. I hope you are happy wherever you are! Love from me!

Wow! It feels surreal by just reading all your insights with regards to SLA. I was able to read these 700 pages due to quarantine. 

I'm so happy that now you're finally free. Although I was 6 years late. I felt like you are taking me into an adventure. Thank you very much. 

This drama also helped me to be free. 

Free from Covid-19 :)

SLA will linger on your heart and soul for a very long time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

REWATCH - JULY 2021

Since 2016 when I first saw this series, I have been rewatching SLA for many, many times. The past 2 days I rewatched SLA for the gazilionth time, and every single time, this drama never failed to evoke something in me. The series always leaves me gasping with beautiful, despair, longing yet hopeful feelings in the end.

I wanted to address PRISON VISIT Scene and things that I did not notice before, mixed with my interpretation.

1:01:51 Son Jae straightened his back, after leaning down at the closed window blind and then turn around, looking up at the ceiling. This gesture is a typical gesture for someone when they are bored or nervous/excited about something. He fidgeted, held both his hands while looking down, fixing his shoelaces, blowing his breath... as if nervous about something. Pondering about something. What is that something?

1:02:12 Son Jae saw the two pennies haircut for the first time and was stunned in silence, momentarily forgotten about his thought. He never took his eyes away from HW, until he sat down and kept looking at her. From this scene, the camera angle then split into two: (1) Angle looking at HW from outside the mirror glass and (2) angle looking at SJ from inside.

Son Jae was stunned. Meanwhile, HW was shown to be. self-conscious about her hair, touching it multiple times, not looking at Son Jae. This shows the complexity of HW's character. She is so used to being humiliated in front of many people whom she served in the past. Here, in front of the man she loved... she couldn't help but feeling shy, but at the same time, being our brave HW, she faced it heads on by addressing the elephant in the room right away. Her eyes were cast down, unable to look at SJ except for few peeks. She bravely asked him how it was.

1:02:26 Camera moved to SJ's POV angle, looking at HW's face. Here, we can see his reflection on the mirror. This serves two purposes: (1) to give the viewers a hint of SJ's expression, and (2) artistic choice that conveyed a meaning.

1:02:41 After HW asked him how she looks, SJ need a bit of time to recuperate. It's not that the hair cuts affected how she looks in his eyes, but knowing SJ and his character... In the past episodes he was so hurt for not being able to protect his woman in front of the elites (ie. Yeon Woo during certificate ceremony, high wall houses, etc). Now imagine his heart, looking at the woman he loves, so close yet so far away. He can't reach for her, he can't protect her and even inside the bar there's evil too. I bet SJ remembers the few days he was detained in the prison for attacking the piano player. I bet he understand how hard it must be for HW to face all of that constantly for the next year or so.

SJ looked down after taking few hitched breaths. But then he looks up, remembering his original plan, the only salvation. This is aligned to his coping mechanism when he was detained (remembering good memories, playing piano with HW). He wanted something from HW. That's why in the beginning of prison visit scene, he was nervous.

1:02:46 Son Jae's reflection was visible again. This time his shadow crossed at HW's image, as if having her back, together with her. He's smiling. His eyes at HW when she asked him if she look too pretty was a total and complete adoration, as SJ came into realisation that this is the only thing that he can give the woman he loves. Same like how them playing together saved him, he knows that he must not show (too much) sadness and despair, as she's embarking on a long solitude journey inside the prison, without him to protect her. 

So after a moment of deliberation, he's putting on a brave face. He answered: 'It looks good on you'. His expression says it all.

From here on, we must note that every time HW's face is the focus, there's always clear SJ's reflection looming on the mirror. He looked down and when HW addressed him again, he smiled at her with a mix of sadness and longing at the same time.

01:02:58 The music started to play. Showing that the tense moment is slowly released as the two lovers came into realisation and understanding. HW understood that SJ will always be her kind hearted SJ, won't look down on her, despite their reversed social status (HW now a paria, and SJ is on his way to become a professional pianist competing for international title). SJ is now more at peace, knowing that he has one thing that he can offer Hae Won, which is hope. He did not want to make the situation even more bleak. He was hopeful and wanted HW to be hopeful too. That's why he put on a brave face and teased her in a kind and loving way. We must remember that Son Jae's character was a straight one, all the toe-curling words that he said to HW, he said it in the most sincere way. Here, it was no different. He saw her as she was: a beautiful, wickedly sexy woman that captured his heart from the first moment they met.

01:03:35 Son Jae looked up at HW after they joked a little bit, watching intently her genuine laugh. His smile changed into a longing one. Not defeated, but almost as if he finally came to peace with the situation that they faced.

01:03:54

HW touched subject about releasing him. She's a realistic woman and she loved SJ and wanted happiness from him. But we must remember, often time, her words were not aligned with what she felt. (ie. 'just stopped by', 'don't walk me out', 'don't invite me in', etc). She meant what she said, but she also wanted to selfishly have SJ waited for her. SJ recognised this easily after knowing HW for so long. That's why he was very calm, listening to what HW said. He might have predicted it even before coming to the prison (may be the reason why he was fidgeting at the beginning, he knew that HW might want to break up and try to be noble and let him go). SJ looked so calm. Too calm, watching HW as she spoke. No smile.

HW: 'It's okay if you want to leave'

SJ sighed, and even smiling a bit as if hearing something funny. He said: 'Where would I go when my home is here?'

He said it in the most exasperated expression, as if saying to HW, 'Dear, you are so predictable. But how come you did not see this from my perspective?'

Few things that I wanted to address in this important statement

1. The word 'home' is a recurring theme. To HW, 'home' is often 'work' too, therefore her house and 'Kang' were not the real 'home' for her. SJ and his humble rooftop apartment was her real 'home'. As SJ could provide the peaceful and protective feeling only 'home' can give.

Therefore, my interpretation here is that SJ wanted to say to HW that his home is Hye Won too. He did not mean his home is here as in Seoul in that rooftop. He means that his home was here, with HW. This is confirmed with HW's startled expression upon hearing his confession, knowing the weight of his statement.

2. Furthermore, now the shadow of SJ that crossing HW's image makes a perfect sense. In a movie, this detail is often added for artistic value and often has a subtext meaning. Knowing how the director is so meticulous, I know that he must choose the angle in purpose. My interpretation of SJ's shadow here is that he's always together with HW in spirit. He is at home when he's with HW. Even though they were separated by the mirror glass, he's there with her. He touches her everyday with the song that he plays, his love letter to HW.

3. Someone said that this is a proposal scene. As an Asian myself, I do agree that such promise is very serious. His statement about HW as his home is enough to give the indication. It's a promise to return and at the same time, a request to ask HW to remain hopeful for their reunion. In a way, it's like a proposal. He persuaded her, that what they have was too big 'it's going to be such a waste to break up just like that without at least trying' also 'they will fight fiercely and will be all over each other on another day' just like regular couple.

This interpretation also makes sense with couple of subtle signs, such as, him being nervous at the beginning, thinking on how to persuade HW to remain hopeful for their reunion... also the way he addressed her as 'dear' just like married couple in the end, during his monologue... 

01:05:25 After HW said 'ok. why not', SJ stilled for a moment, as if digesting her answer.

And 01:05:42, Son Jae quickly wiped away tears, happy to know that SW agrees to remain hopeful for them and their future together.

01:06:34 SJ's monologue:

'It's an undertone but definitely not surrender' (Mozart Rondo interpretation)

'calmly look at it. look deeply into it. and try loving it, that's what it whispers' (Mozart Rondo interpretation)

'it's how i touch you, every day, my dear (dang shin), you... wickedly sexy you. (comparing Mozart Rondo interpretation to how he feels about her)

'I will be back...' (SJ's promise to her)

Aaaaaaaaaaah.... so much love, so much feels... This is not bleak at all. As SJ put it: a slight undertone but definitely not a surrender. They will remain hopeful until they are reunited again...

T_T

Please reach out if you want to discuss or just do rewatch together.

Also if you know good fanfic of SLA, please share...

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

I am at the 3rd episode. It is amazing how Seon Jae developed this self-awareness and sensitivity at his age compared to Hye won who is a smart businesswoman and talented musician but seems to neglect the call of her soul. At the conversation with Seon Jae in the bathroom after Seon Jae cleaned the mouse glue off her feet, Seon Jae said very sincerely that they were fated to meet, that he was meant to find her and become his teacher. Hye Won looked at him disbelievingly and asked if Seon Jae was not mentally cringing while saying what was in his heart. Seon Jae protested saying he was sincere. He explained that he was a delivery person who has no interactions with people he delivered orders to.  They have no interest in him personally and neither does, he. He went to deliver at the school not expecting to meet her or anyone at the school yet the events that happened after his delivery led to him meeting her and becoming his teacher. She was the first person who ever listened to him play and was interested in how he got into music and play the piano, the first person to give an opinion about his piano performance and first to play the piano with him. He then told Hye Won those were the reasons why she is his real teacher, not her husband. Seon Jae is so self-aware, he knows his own mind, what he wants. From an early age he played the piano. His mother bought him the piano from next door, and he could not afford to pay for music lessons, so he played by ear downloading music scores from You Tube. Even from childhood he knew himself, what he wanted to do or accomplish and made it possible even with the limitations of money. Hye Won on the other hand is the opposite. She appears to be this sophisticated, highly educated administrator at a prestigious music school where all the elites of society are competing to get their children admitted to the school. She lives in a beautiful house at an upscale neighborhood and married to a professor at the same school. However, appearance is sometimes deceiving. Compared to Seon Jae, she has no awareness of her true self. She is only an administrator in name. She does all the work because she is the only one qualified among those who were assigned to run the school. The wife of the owner of the school is the chairwoman of the school and she has no idea what a music sheet is, and the spoiled, ill-educated, abusive and ignorant daughter who has no idea of her duties as a school administrator. Hye Won is the only person capable of running the school but she does not get credit and even gets physically abused by the crazy daughter. Yet Hye Won tolerates them all and goes on with her life. It is as if she has buried her true self. Will she realize what Seon Jae said? It is true that they were destined to meet, because they need each other to fulfill their destinies. She will give Seon Jae the chance to fulfill his desire to become an accomplished musician and he will help her find and free herself from the bondage of her husband and the toxic environment of the school. Seon Jae is very perceptive.

• Like 2