[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

On 3/22/2016 at 11:29 AM, lisafransisca said:

@africandramalover YG must have paid her a hell lot of $$$$ :D

I BET!! I can hear the sound of all those WON rubbing together. But they will also make lots of money off of her. Cha Seung Won makes 10m USD p.a. in endorsements, 10% of that is 1 M USD.... I think the agent fee to will repay itself in a few weeks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kim Hee Ae praised Yoo Ah Ins writing skill (and some more) in her recent SK-II campaign event :D

http://sbsfune.sbs.co.kr/news/news_content.jsp?article_id=E10007644765

Basically she said she was surprised reading articles written by Yoo Ah In (he's editor in chief for Tom Greyhound's fashion magazine called 'Tom Paper' and wrote some short articles for some mags too), and was impressed with his acting in 'Punch' movie. She said that he seemed to have read a lot of books so that's why he became a very smart actor. And then they took us back to the 2014 SLA press conference where KHA talked about YAI's appeal again (like "hot but cute at the same time, especially when he's playing the piano" stuff :P  )

30000527719_700.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had a strong case of second lead syndrome over Yoo Ah In when I watched Sungkyunkwan Scandal back in the days, but my love for him eventually tapered away as I got into other dramas and Fashion King didn't really appeal to me. Then recently I just watched Six Flying Dragons and it absolutely rekindled my love for him and I was busy hunting for his past projects, thus encountering Secret Love Affair. 

I'm so glad that I did, because to call this drama a kdrama just does not seem to do it justice. Somehow, it doesn't fit into the common stereotypical imaginings of how a kdrama is like, and this is coming from me who had been watching kdramas for more than a decade already. The writing, the acting, the dialogue, the directing - everything seemed so precise and so purposeful that they all came together to form this piece of art that is worth marvelling over. Yoo Ah In's interpretation of a 20-year-old, from his basic mannerisms, the way he moved (awkwardly with his back hunched) just spoke of how much thought he had put into his acting. 

Anyway, I'm sure that whatever praise I give this drama had been said in this forum already. I'm just rather sad that I discovered this beauty so late, but just felt the urge to drop a comment on this thread - as if to leave a proof of my love for this work of art behind. 

• Like 3

SLA is in Netflix and I am so glad I can view it in bigger screen I re watched the drama. Details of conversations and their deeper meaning that I missed when I first watched, I appreciated in this re-watch. When SJ had the conversation with HW about how he was confused because HW told him she did not remember their first kiss and slapped him. SJ said he practiced how to say to her what he was telling her then, that she was the one who inspired him to play the piano when he came to her in deepest agony that he thought of killing himself because his mother died crossing the street to buy him hand warmers.  He said “that is when a man kisses a woman”. HW looked like it was her first time hearing so sincere a love confession from a man. In many ways these two people saved and inspired each other to walk a better path in life. She inspired and showed him to appreciate the full extent of his talent and he showed her a morally better way to pursue hers. They opened each other’s heart.

One of my favorite scenes were when he took her in his motorcycle to walk the streets of the market place, the night before she was going to be indicted. SJ told her that they were just ordinary people, that she could be a shop owner and he a delivery guy holding hands and walking, that he wanted to do that for a long time. She said that was what she also wanted, and he said I am walking with my girl. She laughed, then they hugged and kissed. He was making her forget all the troubles she is facing and give the experience of being his girl, of togetherness, of lovers walking carefree. I cried.

The whole drama is exquisitely beautiful. I recommend a re-watch.  

• Like 3

@zenya22 How lucky you are! Today I checked on yesasia to buy the DVD but apparently right now the stock was empty :tears: I'm so sad I didn't buy the DVD as soon as possible. I will absolutely re-watch it this weekend!

@sunblind Better late than never! :D I just read some new recaps/reviews on SLA from people who just watched it recently. It's truly a masterpiece and hidden gem!

• Like 1

In his latest interview after finishing Six Flying Dragons, YAI mentioned SLA twice. First, he said

“I always said that my all-time favorite character was Lee Seon Jae from Secret Love Affair. But at the moment, my favorite character is Lee Bang Won. Last year my favorite was Prince Sado, but it has changed. Maybe because I grew attached to Lee Bang Won since I played as him for a long time. I put a lot of time to study the role and the interpretation of Lee Bang Won, and I felt something new while I was acting as Lee Bang Won. There was a feeling of the character’s development in the scene, and it was refreshing. To capture and recognize ‘this man has changed’ as part of the perception, I was able to show the essence of acting. As he grew, I grew up too.”

And in the second interview, he said

Now, since I played ‘Veteran’, ‘Sado’ and ‘Six Flying Dragons’ simultaneously, you might think I only like those rough roles. As a matter of fact, the role I can play the best is that of Lee Seon Jae from ‘Secret Love Affair’ (laughed).

Source: here and here

• Like 3

9 hours ago, lisafransisca said:

In his latest interview after finishing Six Flying Dragons, YAI mentioned SLA twice. First, he said

And in the second interview, he said

Source: here and here

You know, I just realized that YAI romance love affairs in his dramas never ended in happily ever after, LOL. In Fashion King he had the girl but died at the end, in SS he never got the girl, in JOJ  he got the girl, married and had a son with her then  killed her in the end, in SLA he got the girl but in she went to prison, and in SFD he loved the girl dearly but let her go somewhere far and they both ended lonely. I hope if he ever has another romance drama that there will be some happy ever after ending. 

• Like 3

I was looking through the thread listings for a different drama and was surprised to see there was recent postings for SLA. Of course I had to take a look because SLA is just that stunning.

On 2016-04-16 at 9:03 AM, sunblind said:

I had a strong case of second lead syndrome over Yoo Ah In when I watched Sungkyunkwan Scandal back in the days, but my love for him eventually tapered away as I got into other dramas and Fashion King didn't really appeal to me. Then recently I just watched Six Flying Dragons and it absolutely rekindled my love for him and I was busy hunting for his past projects, thus encountering Secret Love Affair. 

I'm so glad that I did, because to call this drama a kdrama just does not seem to do it justice. Somehow, it doesn't fit into the common stereotypical imaginings of how a kdrama is like, and this is coming from me who had been watching kdramas for more than a decade already. The writing, the acting, the dialogue, the directing - everything seemed so precise and so purposeful that they all came together to form this piece of art that is worth marvelling over. Yoo Ah In's interpretation of a 20-year-old, from his basic mannerisms, the way he moved (awkwardly with his back hunched) just spoke of how much thought he had put into his acting. 

Anyway, I'm sure that whatever praise I give this drama had been said in this forum already. I'm just rather sad that I discovered this beauty so late, but just felt the urge to drop a comment on this thread - as if to leave a proof of my love for this work of art behind. 

Very well said sunblind. It is a stunning piece of art and rewatching it is highly recommended. There are ,more things to see every time I think. There are three articles over at k-drama today about SLA that I enjoyed.  Also the discussion is from people who mostly watched it later. The first one is http://www.koreandrama.today/review/secret-love-affair-series-review/

It really is just so good. Now I immediately want to go watch selected scenes again. If only I could get my friends to watch but they just laugh at me when I try.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I am so late in watching this drama, just started it after rewatching SFD haha and liked it! (Even tho not as much as SFD)

And I saw some names from SFD forum here!!

Dunno if anyone is going to visit this forum here anymore haha, I like going to places that appear in drama when I go to Korea, so I searched for a few places that appeared in SLA also, for those of you who are interested, please check out my page.

http://bit.ly/1TyZyBx

http://bit.ly/1T7xE58

http://bit.ly/1VRJGA9

http://bit.ly/1WmZZFO

I will probably post another one more tomorrow

• Like 5

have started watching it now.. and my oh my.. with every series of YAI..i seem to fall for him all the more..

In ll other shows..she plays this nobleman and hence his gait and speech, the whole demeanour is so prince like..so when i watch this show.. i am able to appreciate the change in his entire body language..

Wonderful series..i am so tempted to take piano lessons..

I can see that some people may find it slow and boring..and others who get the artistic touch..would so love the series.. its b'ful passionate love story

PS: What's with YAI and older women love stories .. lol..like for likes too is abt his love for an older woman..

• Like 2

million dollar question

Can this ever happen in real life.. young man falling for an older woman.. for real..

Just impossible.. because the stories can be written but i guess..physical appearance always plays a crucial role ..  i(indeed personality is very important..but so much of age diff.. is fantasy)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lisafransisca said:

@oohhkkay Hahaha welcome to YAI ship :D You're so lucky to understand his interviews. I'll check them out! Thanks for sharing!

This interview is in Chinese, his Korean interviews are much more difficult to understand, my friend said what YAI said is like graduate school level when others were talking in high school level  hahahaha, I am trying to challenge my Korean reading and recently reading some of his Korean writings, but frankly I don't dare to translate them, worried that I might have misunderstood

1 hour ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Wonderful series..i am so tempted to take piano lessons..

I have just bought a digital piano lol, after watching SLA. (I have stopped learning piano when I was in primary school, hahahahahahaa)

• Like 2

@oohhkkayI got what you mean! :D I've been a fan of him for like 6 years and every time he wrote a long article on SNS or had a long interview, I was like...oooh nooo here we go again! Then worked hard trying to figure out what he said. Even after reading his English translations, I have to re-read it twice or thrice to grasp the meaning, because after we re-read we get another meaning again! LOL! He's effin genius! Anyway, thanks for your hard work! I enjoy reading your translations :wub:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...