Have you ever felt like a song has affected you strongly?

la folie

I've always been interested in how music affects the brain and that we associate particular tunes with memories. Hence I'm doing my graphic design thesis project on this topic and I need your help! 
Have you ever been strongly affected by a song? What's the story behind it? Link the song or album if you like. 
I’ll be curating the collection of (anonymous) stories about the specific instances where music has left a significant impression on people. The final deliverable will be in the form of a book. Your responses would help greatly in the creation of this project. Thanks! Note: Keep in mind that this will be made into a physical book so I hope you're okay with having your responses being out in the open.
I'll start first: The song was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YURQicLo7Ik. I remember feeling a sudden rush of melancholia hitting me really hard when I first heard it on a night back in April 2012. It must've been 2-3am at that time because that's usually when I feel extremely sensitive to music. I felt very vulnerable around that time as I was going through some personal problems that led to poor performance in school and just feeling utterly miserable. The fact that I was away from home in a different country attending a new school didn't help either. I think even seeing the album cover , a close up of an unmade bed, had a big affect on me too because I was having trouble getting out of bed and I would hide under my duvet all day. I don't know much about the lyrics as I'm not one to usually notice the words but the melody of the song was an impression of my state of being at that time. Very very emotional for me.

Guest nana544

When Adele's two songs came out: Set Fire to the Rain and Someone like you. It reminds me of my first love; so sad....so sad. I literally cry and it makes me miserable. I usually don't cry, unless it really hurts. I feel related to the lyrics, the emotions and feelings of all the sadness that I experienced with that first love. Oh well, I'm over it.

Guest HERMIT

Welcome To The Jungle by Guns N' Roses.

It has affected my psyche deeply.
But I think it's mainly because my psychotic neighbor would play that song so loud at odd hours of the night.

The intro is ridiculous as is all the live intros he does, but the 48 minute to 50 minute mark of this is amazing.  I'm pretty sure he put that entire crowd into a 3 different emotional states.  I mean you can see it in their reaction, it's a great crowd.  You're listening to the buildup, then it happens and you're like "This...is...phenomenal."  

• 1 month later...

Archived