Quantcast

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest staticlullaby

Difference between a friendship, companionship and a romantic relationship?

Guest staticlullaby

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on how they perceive these three types of relationships. I know for some people they consider friendship and companionship the same thing and for others, it's different.

Friendship:

A feeling of commonality and connection. You can be yourself and comfortable around this person. Lots of things to talk about and there is no such thing as awkward silences.

Romantic Relationship:

It's Friendship (as described above) plus physical attraction and lust. Contrary to popular belief, friendship is absolutely necessary to long-term romantic relationships. You won't always feel lust for each other and want to tear each other's clothes off. You need to have a genuine connection.

Companionship:

What does this mean? Friends with benefits?

Guest Krrypton

Friendship is something which never lets you down. There are no rules(even if there are, you can always break them!). Friendship requires nothing but a genuine smile. Sharing capacity-almost everything. Negative points are not much just that it hurts more when a friend ditches.

Companionship I guess is the same as friendship. It connects two people through thick and thin. They are actually to say best friends!

Romantic relationship is far more advanced than friendship as it needs not only a compassionate heart but also a thinking mind. I mean, who has never gotten hurt in relationships because of listening to their heart? Romanting relationships has boundaries. Unlike friendships, everything gets awkward after a fight. It also takes more guts to go through a relationship, keep it moving. So I guess for me, Friendship and Companionship are almost the same, but a romantic relationship is a totally different thing. :)

Friendship & companionship is a same thing for me. Someone that you got to be there for you no matter how hard it is. Someone that will actually stab you in the front, telling you the ugly truth just to keep you stay sane. And off course, someone to have fun with.
Romantic relationship... umh it sounds like Romeo & Juliet story for me lol. Where all are about fairy tales. And yes it is on higher level compared with friendship/companionship but I do not see romantic relationship as something that I would do if I'm thinking about future-family-of-mine. It is more like two people who are being in love, there are passion in there, those sexual attraction, and some intimacy, a feeling for being attached, closeness, and so on. But I do not see much commitment in there. Like I said, it is just more like "being in love" rather than loving someone.

Friendship in general is a building block of romantic relationships. Friendship involves intimacy, trust, loyalty, and companionship (doing stuff together). Romantic relationships encompasses all that but also involves sex, point blank. There is a desire to procreate, leading to feelings of "I want to spend the rest of my life with this person." Romantic relationships, then, include deeper levels of friendship, commitment and sexual attraction.

Guest atarie

friendship/companionship is sorta the same for me as well. I guess it's someone you can relate to and have fun with. You can talk to them and not feel awkward. You have their back and they have yours. Or sometimes you just have theirs. Someone important in your life.

romantic relationship: Someone you can see yourself marrying. Spending the rest of your life with.

I will say that i don't think girls and guys can be CLOSE friends w/o one falling for the other though. (if that's not being too random lol)

Guest cristolephe

When we're down to the last doughnut:Friends: Rock paper scissorsCompanions/close friends: Let's splitRomantic relationships:  If you don't want it I'll take it, but you take it if you want it yay.
plot twist: I hate sweets.

friends look out for each other.
companions look out for the relationship, stand by each other even if it is the harder choice to make.
romantic relationship is like companions more than friends. if your lover has a choice to persue a great new career, but that means the end of the relationship, you dont let them go. you hold on, period. because lets face it, in life there are COUNTLESS opportunities that will come. if you leave your companion or lover for each of them, you will be married and divorced 10 times before you end up dying alone. 
in a friendship if it is best for the future of a firned for them to move away, you support them on that. and say your goodbyes. a companion is a partner that you dont want to see go away "its both of us or nothing" 
a romantic relationship also involves exclusivity, a companion maybe your partner/best buddy but other than that title and maybe more time spent together, they dont really have anything special that is tangable.  However in a love relationship there is sex and intimacy. this makes you special to eachother because it is something u do that neither of you do with anyone else. you have sex, you cuddle, you share intimate information etc. a romantic relationship is something you cant let go. if you can watch them walk away, they were always just a good friend to you and nothing more.

Guest johnpatric

A friendship is a relationship, technically, but a relationship is not necessarily a friendship. 

You can have a bad relationship with someone (maybe you don't get along, or you used to but have had a falling out) and then you would not be friends...or you can have a good relationship -- you are friends. 

Sometimes people use the word "relationship" to imply a romantic relationship, so the word "relationship" has that connotation. You would not say in conversation that you are "in a relationship" with your best friend, but you would say that about your boy/girlfriend/wife/husband. 

The answer to your question depends on whether you mean "relationship" generally (in which case, my first answer would apply) or in terms of a romantic relationship (in that case, the only way to find out the answer is by looking at individual relationships to see if they're romantic or platonic!)

Guest wayofthereagan

I think friendship and companionship are the same right? U can be friends with anyone. Friends are people u hangout with for fun and know will be there for u if u need them. As for relationships, u can't rly just pick anyone. Everyone has their own type and preference. U just kinda pick someone that u like, ya know? Everyone has their own qualities that they look for and want when determining whether they like someone so that's up to u. And once ur in a strong relationship that involves a physical relationship then u tend to only have physical feelings for that person. And I definitely think it feels different when ur with a boyfriend or girlfriend than when ur with friends. The person is very special to u and spending time with that person just feels like the best thing in the world. If ur in a relationship where u don't feel like that then maybe u don't rly like the person as much as u thought. This kinda changed topics but yeaa....

Guest wayofthereagan

atarie said: friendship/companionship is sorta the same for me as well. I guess it's someone you can relate to and have fun with. You can talk to them and not feel awkward. You have their back and they have yours. Or sometimes you just have theirs. Someone important in your life.

romantic relationship: Someone you can see yourself marrying. Spending the rest of your life with.

I will say that i don't think girls and guys can be CLOSE friends w/o one falling for the other though. (if that's not being too random lol)