[Variety] Beating Hearts / Heart is Beating (심장이 뛴다)

Guest adikkeluangman

Looks like someone forgot to tweet earlier and just remember it now. The show is on today!

#최우식 의 SBS '심장이 뛴다'가 방송 중입니다~ 함께 시청하고 계신가요? :) Are you onto watching #Choiwooshik 's SBS '심장이 뛴다' at the moment? :)

— JYPACTORS (@JYPACTORS)

June 24, 2014

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

adikkeluangman said: Looks like someone forgot to tweet earlier and just remember it now. The show is on today!

#최우식 의 SBS '심장이 뛴다'가 방송 중입니다~ 함께 시청하고 계신가요? :) Are you onto watching #Choiwooshik 's SBS '심장이 뛴다' at the moment? :)

— JYPACTORS (@JYPACTORS)

June 24, 2014

Yeah, they've probably just given up on it already, lol.  It's the second to last episode today...

Guest adikkeluangman

Backtrack and looking back at their picture that shared. They're really comfortable and enjoy their time being a fire-fighter and paramedics. 
Just Choi Woo Shik in his fire-fighter mode. Sometimes I wonder if he is the youngest even among the fire-fighters that they get to work with.BkDKKW7CQAAljiX.jpg

Guest adikkeluangman

Just Choi Woo Shik eating pizza. Maybe this during the filming Heart Beat brea or something. From his twitter: No one ate the pizza. Thank youBkYV5n0CEAA_Cmv.jpg

Guest adikkeluangman

The end is tonight. Although I'm no longer watching this program because it already cut off from OneHD but I will come to post update if available especially if related to Woo Shik. 

Tonight at 11.15PM(KST), the final story of #Choiwooshik 's SBS '심장이 뛴다' will be on air. Stay tuned :)

— JYPACTORS (@JYPACTORS)

July 1, 2014

I just watched episode 32.  I didn't really mean to; I was just going to watch the beginning, I swear :)

It was kind of a strange conglomeration of an episode.  But I guess they probably had lots of footage to fit in and loose ends they wanted to tie up.  They had the "normal" part of the episode, at the final location; the part where they go camping; a little more about the government or whatever; and the end part, where they give their final thoughts after they found out the show was canceled.  But they also did a little before and after, retrospective-type thing for all of them, which was nice.  Jo Dong Hyuk really did get a lot of the belligerent and/or drunk people, haha.  And it was definitely Woo Shik who made me cry this week.  With the old lady, and then his crying at the end...way to break my heart, Woo Shik.  They've really all come such a long way, but I think one could make the argument that he showed the most growth over the course of the show.

I think I'm really going to miss this show.  And I feel like I might have more to say about it at some point, which I'm sure no one cares about, but I'll probably say it anyway :)

Guest adikkeluangman

More pictures of Choi Woo Shik and his Heart Beat gang from his twitter. :DBpNS9GRCQAArYAU.jpgBpNS93pCQAEAPLn.jpgBpNS99mCcAANQE0.jpgBpNS9UOCQAA5ibz.jpgFrom what event that the guys wear tuxedo and where was Bin? The camping trip was only the guys with the crew or they invite the guys from the fire station? Which fire station is that. Just realised that Jo Dong Hyuk is not really camping appropriate like the rest...
I really love the relationship between them. Not sure why but CWS don't really hangout with same-age friend if I noticed from his twitter. He is young basically the same age as other boys from other idol group. If in JYPE he is the same age as Chansung from 2PM.

adikkeluangman said: More pictures of Choi Woo Shik and his Heart Beat gang from his twitter. :D
From what event that the guys wear tuxedo and where was Bin? The camping trip was only the guys with the crew or they invite the guys from the fire station? Which fire station is that. Just realised that Jo Dong Hyuk is not really camping appropriate like the rest...
I really love the relationship between them. Not sure why but CWS don't really hangout with same-age friend if I noticed from his twitter. He is young basically the same age as other boys from other idol group. If in JYPE he is the same age as Chansung from 2PM.

Thanks for posting those photos adikkeluangman. I saw them a while ago, and forgot to ever put them here.

The one where they're dressed up is from the SBS Entertainment Awards, and she was there, but I guess not in this photo.  Only Jo Dong Hyuk wasn't there that night, which is how they ended up with the cardboard version of him (the one that got taped to the ceiling, haha).

It was only the cast that went camping from what they showed (although you know that whole crew was probably there too, haha), but I think they didn't take anyone else from the fire station.  And I guess I'm using "camping" loosely, lol.  They showed tents, and they were at a campground, but they didn't really show if they even spent the night.  I just assume that they did   The only part they showed (in ep 32) was the eating and then sitting around talking for a while.  And for episode 32 they were at Namyangju.  (BTW, I do have the filming locations by episode in the first post.  I put it there because I kept forgetting which episodes were at which location.)

Maybe Woo Shik is just closer in general to actors than idols?  JYPE doesn't have many actors, do they?  I don't know.  It would make sense that he would have more in common with actors, but it's probably just more that he's close to this particular group because they've spent so much time together.  It seems like with actors, that even if they work with someone on a drama or whatever, it's still only for a few months.  But this show was airing for 9 months, and I think they filmed for even longer since I assume they shot the pilot episodes at least a month before they aired on TV.  So almost a year, really.  It really seems like that's one of those unintended benefits of doing a show like this, especially for a young actor like him.  He probably felt right at home in a cast full of actors (and a comedian).

The show was recognized by the Korea Communications Standards Commission as a "Good Program of the Month" for April.  Or something like that.  Which I think means it's wholesome, family TV, judging from the other winners (mostly documentaries, I think).  Or maybe I shouldn't be so snarky and just say "educational TV". :)  A few (Google translated) headlines and a couple of very short excerpts:

'Heart beats' Moses' miracle hand, a good program of the month award
Korea Communications Standards Committee reason for selecting "dispatched emergency relief efforts caused traffic problems during the prime time to light the importance of informed, recently breech of security in our society is faced with the viewer's awareness awakened," he said.

KCSC, 3.4 month Month, a good program "60 Minutes piece contained a total of nine awards selection

'Heart beats - Moses' miracle', a good program of the month award
SBS 'heart beats - a special miracle of Moses'

Hmmm...that "special miracle of Moses" wording shows up in more than one article.  So it seems like this would be singling out just one episode, maybe?  The month of April had episodes 21-25, so it's possible they're talking about the special (ep 24).  Which I thought was super boring because I actually watched all the other episodes, lol.  But congrats to the show.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone from the Gwangjin fire station (I assume) uploaded some photos of the cast when they were there (episodes 17-20).
From episode 18, when they did the ice rescue training:
july22014_zpseb75a7ea.jpg~original
july292014a_zps0c1dcc3c.jpg~original
PKW, CWS, and Jo Dong Hyuk's signatures:
july192014_zpsf27c7b94.jpg~original
Some others:
july212014_zpsa57e0b2d.jpg~original
july252014_zps5e85361f.jpg~original
july292014b_zps5fe45a70.jpg~original
Source: kang3611 twitter (photo 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

• 1 month later...
Guest adikkeluangman

Jeon Hye Bin prepares a special trips to Phuket for her manager and stylist
20140917111942_5418efbe751df_1.jpg

Jeon Hye Bin prepared a special trip to Phuket for her manager and stylist.
Recently, actress Jeon Hye Bin left to Phuket with her manager and stylist after finishing drama 'The Joseon Gunman.'
Jeon Hye Bin always expressed her gratitude to her team members for their efforts, and Jeon Hye Bin decided to pay for a short trip to Phuket.
It is said that her manager and stylist were deeply touched by her great care. Jeon Hye Bin recently drew many people's attention by buying drinks for all of the fire fighters who she met through SBS 'Heart Beats,' and her great care her staffs is becoming a hot issue among many people.
A representative of Jeon Hye Bin's management agency said, "People tend to forget the preciousness of others who are always with them, but Jeon Hye Bin never forgets showing great care for everyone. Paying the trip itself could have been a difficult choice to make, but she happily suggested the idea. Please show lots of supports for her in the future as well."
Meanwhile, Jeon Hye Bin played in 'The Joseon Gunman' as Choi Hye Won.
http://en.starnnews.com/news/index.html?no=327226

Some old news from July 28 about the show's PDs donating prize money from an award they received to benefit Gangwon firefighters who died in a helicopter crash (sources 1 2)
uNYUuV1.jpg

The show's been off the air for a couple of months now, but it's nice that there's still news every once in a while.  I think the cast and crew haven't forgotten the show and the people they met for sure. 

• 1 month later...

Here are some of those articles about JHB giving drinks to firefighters back in August.  I forgot to post these before.
6J2Kn1O.jpg
Drinks delivered to jeonhyebin 'heart beats' firefighter 'express loyalty Ladies'

Drink jeonhyebin, the 'loyal maid' Fire + video letter across the country

Also, I keep seeing articles about how the show keeps doing unexpectedly well in the VOD ratings.  Here's the latest one I've seen:

Browsing content 'witch hunt' overwhelming No. 1, the strong unexpected "heart beats"

Maybe it's not just me that misses the show and still rewatches episodes. :(

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Gaah.  It's been over a year since this show ended.  I still miss it. 

There have been some interviews from Jo Dong Hyuk and Choi Woo Shik posted over the past few months on this blog, both of whom mentioned the show in various places.  I'll just post a few excerpts here.

[November 2013 – Cuvism] Choi Woo Sik – Interview [1/2]

Experiencing all these tense situations together must have brought you closer.

We really became close because we experienced difficult situations together. I live a long time abroad, so I wasn’t used to the sauna culture in Korea. However, one day Jo Dong Hyuk-hyung told me “let’s go! We must go to be clean fast!”. And since that day, I think we became closer as we even showered together with the mindset that we were now a group. We’re all very busy, so even if we can’t see each other, we talk a lot in our SNS chatroom. And we’re also very close with the rescue team. Especially those we worked with in Busan, they’re real gagmen. (smiles) Like even now if a scandal breaks out, they call me to ask me if it’s true. (smiles)

The rescue moments are probably full of fear and tension, but it must feel like it’s worth it, right?

Every time the rescue team was on a mission, I felt that it was really worth it because we helped saving someone’s life, even if it was not from the beginning to the end and even if it was just a little. When we wear the rescue team outfit and we arrive on the scene, all gazes are on us. When it happened, it felt like the joy an actor feels when he’s on stage. I think it’s really an addictive feeling. (smiles)

Read the rest here

[November 2013 – Allure ] Jo Dong Hyuk, the man – Interview

You’ve spent so much time doing this that you’ve become a real firefigther. This is nice to see.

When I hear the fire siren, it goes straight to my heart. You can hear the radio in the fire truck. We don’t really recognize them, but firefighters do right away. There are many times when they listen to the radio message and they could just go without their fire suits and come back. Yet, when they put on quickly their fire suits, you think “somthing really bad happened”. From that moment, my heart beats hard.

How do you think you will remember this year?

Filming “Beating Hearts” made me feel that I have been living without taking time to think all these years. When I meet people as a firefighter and not as an entertainer or an actor, I think to myself “we really lead selfish lives”. I hate selfish people. That’s why I was very ashamed. I think this is what I felt this year.

Read the rest here

[October 2014 – Elle] Jo Dong Hyuk – A Man among men – Interview

You were in variety program “Beating Hearts” not long ago.

To be honest, it was really exhausting because it was 100% real. We couldn’t create a real set. A set dealing with life and death of people is no joke. To be honest, there weren’t many times when we were deeply involved. One mistake could have been a big problem and it would been an excuse to criticize even the program.

We saw you cry in the last episode, you must have really cared about this program.

Honestly, when people think about a fire station, they just think it as a place where people who put out fires are, but they are so much things that they do. Whatever their problem is, people call 119. There was even one time when it was just because they wanted us to unlock their door (laugh). Yet, they do it without any complaint. Without them, Korea wouldn’t function.This program allowed to find out the treatment these fire fighters endure. I was really angry to find out that they can’t receive fair treatment. That’s why I hope this program would help them somehow. Despite the fact there are discussions about it, they’re not provided with what they need, so there are many fire fighters who buy their appropriate equipment with their already little monthly pay. This aspect was definitely not shown in the program. We were always assigned the best fire station. It only showed the best image, even when they borrow something from another neighborhood when they needed something. I wanted to help them by showing this reality, but the show got cancelled, so I was sorry toward the fire fighters and to the team members too. That’s why I felt quite emotional.

Read the rest here

All translations by onesunnylady – thesunnytown.wordpress.com

• 5 months later...

Someone from the Seoul Metropolitan Fire and Disaster Headquarters uploaded a bunch of photos and stills from the show just a few months ago.  All in very nice quality, no watermarks, and at least a few I hadn't seen before!

List here.

A sampling of some I don't remember, or I'd only seen tiny/poor quality versions (but I'm just posting the smaller versions here; you can download/view the original size at the link above):

1024px-2013%EB%85%84_8%EC%9B%94_%EB%B6%8

All of these were from August 2013.

Archived