[Variety] Beating Hearts / Heart is Beating (심장이 뛴다)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kjmcth said: ONETVASIA ALREADY PROMOTION NEW SHOW N THEIR CHANNEL 5 JUNE 2014

MEAN ONLY 1 WEEKS -  TODAY/TONIGHT 29 MAY 2014 HEART BEAT ON ONETVASIA??  SO SAD NOW....
:((

kjmcth: could that possibly just be the pilot that they're airing then (on June 5)?  And then they'll switch back, so they're just following the exact schedule SBS did?  I don't know how long the delay is for that channel, but it doesn't seem like there would be enough time for them to have that many episodes of the new show ready to air if they haven't even aired on SBS yet...

Don't give up hope yet   And if nothing else, since your episodes are behind the SBS ones, you can always find the raws and at least watch those, right?

@kjmcth: Search for raws!  I can help you figure out what episode they left off on if you need :)
Desperate times call for desperate measures...I've been watching them raw this whole time, since the viki subs never really materialized.

Bleh...

SBS Variety Shows “Beating Hearts” and “Challenge 1000 Songs” Canceled

SBS‘ variety programming is going through changes, as it has canceled “Beating Hearts” and “Challenge 1000 Songs” while moving around many other shows.

The cancellation of “Beating Hearts” has especially met with much criticism. “Beating Hearts” was a public service program which featured celebrities joining real-life firefighters on missions. The show even carried out the “Miracle of Moses” campaign to encourage citizens to move their cars for ambulances and fire trucks. For the campaign, the show starred Park Ki Woong, Jo Dong Hyuk, Choi Woo Sik, Jun Hye Bin, and Jang Dong Hyuk, who personally took to the streets to shoot public service announcements and give out stickers.

The show was known for taking on serious social issues such as drunk driving and suicide. However, it was canceled due to its low ratings in the 2% range, along with member Park Ki Woong’s sudden military enlistment. The last episode will air on July 1.

“Challenge 1000 Songs” was canceled after running for 14 years. Despite decent ratings, the lack of advertising sales led to its cancellation.

source: soompi

Guest adikkeluangman

The cancellation of “Beating Hearts” has especially met with much criticism.
So who critic them the netizens? If this show in KBS, I think it will stay. But 20+ episode for this kind of program is too long. Not that I mean negative but from my POV based on my local TV observation. By the way, Choi Woo Shik and Jeon Hye Bin also just got casted for dramas. Maybe this will be among the reason why it got cancelled. 

adikkeluangman said: The cancellation of “Beating Hearts” has especially met with much criticism.
So who critic them the netizens? If this show in KBS, I think it will stay. But 20+ episode for this kind of program is too long. Not that I mean negative but from my POV based on my local TV observation. By the way, Choi Woo Shik and Jeon Hye Bin also just got casted for dramas. Maybe this will be among the reason why it got cancelled.

I agree that it seems like a good stopping point, and I'm sure that's what SBS thought too.  I've been expecting this news for a while, I guess.  I would disagree that it's gone on too long, though.  But I do think that once they started focusing so much on the Moses Miracle stuff, that they focused on it to the extent that it started to feel a little repetitive to me at times.  So in that way, I guess, I can see that viewpoint.  But the show existed before that, and they had plenty of things to air then, and I'm sure that they would come up with things to fill the airtime with no problem if they moved beyond the Moses Miracle stuff.  But with two original cast members gone already, and as you said, adikkeluangman, others that would soon be MIA from the show because of drama commitments, it does seem like a natural stopping point.

The thing that I feel was lost to some extent with the Moses Miracle focused episodes is the camaraderie of the cast and the interactions with their co-workers. Basically, the fun parts (the taping of cardboard-JDH to the ceiling, the foot sniffing, arm wrestling, fire hose bowling...).  I'm glad the show found its purpose, but I've missed that part of the equation lately.  I'm still sad it's ending, but I'm glad they're at least going to air the remaining episodes.

adikkeluangman said: There will be an episode air tonight. :)

Awww, those pictures are precious. Hurm, maybe the show should release more behind-the-scene pictures. So we got 3-4 episode more or less to be air. 

ecs707a

said: I agree that it seems like a good stopping point, and I'm sure that's what SBS thought too.  I've been expecting this news for a while, I guess.  I would disagree that it's gone on too long, though.  But I do think that once they started focusing so much on the Moses Miracle stuff, that they focused on it to the extent that it started to feel a little repetitive to me at times.  So in that way, I guess, I can see that viewpoint.  But the show existed before that, and they had plenty of things to air then, and I'm sure that they would come up with things to fill the airtime with no problem if they moved beyond the Moses Miracle stuff.  

adikkeluangman said:I agree on part of they focused on Moses Miracle project. I wonder if it came later when they started doing this program or it's part on the earlier concept. We can have two scenario like first. After few episode aired, this program got good feedback they got idea to the project or maybe it is in their early proposal but they wait until public familiar with this show and proceed. Either or it become double sword to the program.

For me, the production should think for the future of the show. Let's said if they thought it will run for 10 episode. Then make it things happened around that. With the project and what not. HB is not show where you put celebrities at some village to do house-farm work every week. I think they want to follow Infinity Challenge concept. Where they got one big project at a time.

Yeah, I wonder too if the Moses Miracle stuff was the plan from the start, or if they kind of lucked into a concept.  I tend to think that it was not in the original plan, and they decided at some point that they needed more of a theme or unifying concept, so that's what they chose.  And they had such a perfect illustration of the need for such a thing (episode 14!), so it worked well.  But I do think they needed to think longer term too, plan a little better, and not rely so heavily on that one concept.  But I still found the show enjoyable, even though I was getting a little tired of the same point being made repeatedly.

Anyway, if they're going to cancel it, they chose a good time to do it, and they really did keep it going for a longer time than ratings alone could account for.  So thanks to SBS for that.

I don't know if anyone's been following this at all, but someone made a petition to un-cancel the show, and they reached (and exceeded) their goal of 10,000 people after just a few days.  I don't think it'll actually convince SBS (and one could argue that it shouldn't), but I think it's interesting anyway.

And now for more old Busan photos!

These four are all from part one of the pilot, I believe.
This one's from the second pilot episode:
source

The last one is the same scene that's in one of the photos that CWS posted on Twitter recently...I'll probably post those at some point too, unless someone else gets to it first.

I think they shouldn't cancel the show as it's a meaningful and educational show. Yes, it does get repetitive at times but it's still a good show overall. In my opinion, they don't need the original cast if the celebrities are busy but they can change the cast and make it into a "second season". The main point is not about having the same cast but making such an educational show stay and let more people have the chance to know about this show. There's so many variety shows airing in Korea but none has the human-documentary feeling that this show exudes and as educational as this show. This show is a great mix of reality-variety and educational documentary.

c_gunawan541 said: I think they shouldn't cancel the show as it's a meaningful and educational show. Yes, it does get repetitive at times but it's still a good show overall. In my opinion, they don't need the original cast if the celebrities are busy but they can change the cast and make it into a "second season". The main point is not about having the same cast but making such an educational show stay and let more people have the chance to know about this show. There's so many variety shows airing in Korea but none has the human-documentary feeling that this show exudes and as educational as this show. This show is a great mix of reality-variety and educational documentary.

I'd watch a second season.  There are still plenty of topics to be covered.  The main thing that I felt was repetitive was when they kept using the same footage (of other cars not getting out of the way) over and over every time there was a car in the way.  But since ratings are always low, maybe they felt like it was safer to assume that there were people out there who missed the last episode (or all the episodes), and would benefit from the reminder or something.  I don't know.

But I still like the show (if I like it enough to have watched all this time without any subs, I must really like it).  I wish it wasn't canceled, but it seems more or less inevitable.

I watched this week's episode last night, and it got me thinking about something.  When Hye Bin went to try to rescue the kittens, there was this crowd in the street.  I wonder how often that's been happening, but they've never shown anything like that before.  There was only that one time with the group of 4-5 teenage girls.  It may be a good thing, in a weird way, that the show isn't all that popular, or stuff like that might happen more often.  It would be a very bad thing if crowds started to interfere with them actually helping people.  So I think they'd have to choose a new cast carefully--like who's popular enough to increase ratings, but not popular enough to attract crowds?  It's possible that they've considered that, and decided that it's not worth the risk (or that those two things are incompatible).  Which I couldn't blame them for, if that's the case.  There's only so much you can do to keep filming locations secret.

I don't know.  I'll miss the show, but if they're going to end it, it seems like as good a time as any to do so.  But it is really a unique show, and they've executed it well.  It's sad that a show so good (and with such good intentions, and so much heart) has to go.

I just wrote another essay, and now I'm all sad again...

But I also just noticed that Jang Dong Hyuk went on a crazy Twitter-updating spree on June 3, and there are a bunch of photos I've never seen before, or haven't seen in a long time.  So go look through them, if you're feeling nostalgic.

Also, another old pic of unknown origins, from the Suwon episodes:

found here

• 2 weeks later...

Some articles about the Moses Miracle project inspiring some discussion of changing laws and tougher enforcement of existing laws (from what I can gather from Google translate; just posting headlines and excerpts):

'Moses' miracle' open policy debates for the Road Traffic Act

The SBS 'heart beats' pass interference in the broadcast of the first cases of emergency vehicles gathered to watch and edit the video right after the debate in the National Assembly Hall in a car parked directly in lawmakers' Moses' miracle' stickers attached.

Road Traffic Amendment is now more than 20,000 won to 50,000 won less urgent car violation fines to suspend concessions, more than 200,000 won to 300,000 won or less raised was that the content submitted to the National Assembly for the day.

'Heart beats' the miracle of Moses project, Congress moved

Lawmakers are sympathetic to the purpose of the project last March 14 of the first passage of emergency vehicles and to increase penalties for interfering with a vehicle, emergency vehicles used in emergencies when other applications to enhance the punishment to the main point, some amendments to the Road Traffic Act took the initiative.

'Heart beats' the miracle of Moses project, moved to the National Assembly

'Moses' miracle' project earlier this year 'heart beats' late into the hospital two have to live with a lifelong disability stories dealing with patients after amputation daegukmin campaign was developed. In the first car must pass lawmakers to interfere with emergency vehicles to increase penalties for emergency purpose other than an emergency vehicle to enhance the penalties available to the gist of amendments to the initiative was part of the Road Traffic Act.

SBS 'heart beats' the miracle of Moses project, the Parliament amendment initiative

Prior to full-scale debate 'heart beats' emergency car which was first broadcast in case they pass interference was introduced video. It is the way of the emergency fire engine sirens, or rather out of the way does hamper the scene, fire trucks, etc. This anger inside jangdonghyeok jodonghyeok thumping and a scene look back and chest tightness was a sad scene. Imnaehyeon joint initiative by the bill Senator (New Politics Democratic Union) and Senator Kim, Young - Woo (per saenuri) to "reduce the need for the amendment of the cars 'heart beats' the miracle of Moses became the catalyst for the project," he said.

The amendments are brought to a safe state administrative committee as early as October, at the latest by end-goal is to pass Congress. Apart from the emergency vehicle for the driving test, including how to compromise amendment to the Decree countersigned by state lawmakers to 93 people, which is expected to soon pass to the Minister of Safety Administration.

Guest adikkeluangman

Another new episode tonight. I think there is no last week right.

오늘 저녁 11시 15분, #최우식 의 SBS '심장이 뛴다'가 방송됩니다 :) Tonight at 11.15PM(KST), #Choiwooshik 's SBS '심장이 뛴다' will be on-air :)

— JYPACTORS (@JYPACTORS)

June 17, 2014

Episode 30, starting at about 4:40 mark: Josh Ritter, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C81SyunWMAQ.  First Thao Nguyen, now Josh Ritter?  Oh show, stop making me love you even more than I already do right before I have to say goodbye to you...

Last PKW episode, and they're still in Busan.  So 30 is the 5th episode in a row in Busan (and really it's more than that, since 25 even had that part with them touring the city at the end).  So now I'm really confused about what the last two episodes are going to be.  Even more Busan?  That would be totally okay with me.  Seems fitting to both begin and end in the same place.  Full circle and all.  But I guess I have to wait until next week to find out for sure.

But I think it's going to take me a while to finish this episode.  I don't want to get to the sad part yet...goodbye letters and crying and the woman from episode 14...I don't think I'm ready yet.

Looks like Hye Bin mentioned the show at the press conference for Joseon Gunman.  A few headlines and a short, sort-of-intelligible excerpt:

Chosun gunman 'jeonhyebin "After the accident I'll CPR"
PgNl7hJ.jpg

Jeonhyebin "'heart beats', opened your eyes to see the world"
"Heart beats' repeal regret," 'Chosun gunman' standing in smoke

Jeonhyebin Chosun gunman 'press conference collections' heart beats' jongbang Greetings "and wanted to do more" regret

He said, "You can not live in a lifetime experience, or a person to experience the pain of relationships and communication can be significantly open eyes to see the world seems to be," he said. Yet "That was a lot of love. I wanted to do more," he expressed his regret that kind of room.

He said, "<heart skips> the stepping stone to try to work harder" and "The <Joseon gunmen> that seems to be the starting point," the resolution said.

I don't know why Google translate thinks she's a boy...

Episode 30 is so sad...
But I liked seeing people from past episodes, and it was a very nice sendoff for PKW.  The video, and the letters, and the hugs (there are lots of hugs, lol).

Some fun stuff from the goodbye video:
Remember this picture I posted a long time ago?
pkwsign_zps99b7b314.jpeg~original
That shirt is on the wall at the Incheon station where they were:
30-incheon_zps5da3dd33.jpg~original
And remember the kitten from episodes 5-8?  Kitten is all grown up now :)
catcompep8amp30_zpsdb771bf5.jpg~original
No more PKW on the show, and only 2 episodes left.  I suspect we won't get a proper goodbye episode for the rest of the cast.  It seems like the cancellation took everyone by surprise.  Maybe they filmed something specifically for that though, separately from the regular filming.

Oh, and the end of episode 30 is somewhere other than Busan.  So only 2 episodes, plus 10 minutes or so from episode 30, of the last location.

Archived