[Drama 2014] Emergency Man and Woman / Emergency Couple 응급남녀 (JH + JH's interview on p627)

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mywebfoot

Hello everyone
Just decided to catch this on a whim this weekend and… o…
Song Ji Hyo/ Oh Jin Hee got me ooof, right in the feels, when she went home and cried over her textbooks. And then she got me again as everybody said, in the slo-mo in the emergency room. I'm also what some might call an 'old student' and oh, to achieve your dreams when people tell you that you can't or shouldn't. Her ex-husband… hmmm… he's a kid. He rescued himself from being written off by me, when he wasn't completely mean to her in the cafeteria, but since he himself doesn't seem to be struggling at this point, I haven't invested in him. Right now I hope he's the one to fall BACK into love FIRST, because I want to see her unintentionally walk all over his privileged pretty face. Gotta say though, if he keeps doing that low voice thing, I might be on his side again. *shrug* WHAT? I like deep voices. :)
The side characters are all pretty fun at this stage, with special mention to Ah Reum, who completely breaks the pretty face stereotype by being honest to a fault and not into herself. 
The show overall… hmmm, I find myself wishing it would have more confidence. It can't seem to decide if it wants to be a serious hospital show, with a side of laugh and love on the side, or be a rom-com, with a side of hospital background. So far, my favorite bits have been the quiet emotional beats, not the ra-ra hospital ER or the childish bickering. For example, the punctured lung patient - I wish he had died (sorry, patient!) because then we'd get to see the characters tossed into ER life with a vengeance while having to deal with their emotions. It's like the show almost wants to go there, and then suddenly backs up to show… what was the point of the punctured lung scene again? 
I'll keep watching, but only for Oh Jin Hee right now. She's quite the heroine. 

@mywebfoot A death would make life as a doctor "real" and I think emotional wise we have anger, frustration, belittlement all of them negative at the moment. It's a rom-com and I hope it remains that way coz then there will always be light at the end of tunnel. This is because I think in later episodes we'll probably get to deal with Jin-Hee's supposedly "weak heart". I love me lots of Happily ever afters. So let the atmosphere be light but not too airy without any substances. I think so far the plot incorporate just the right amount of emotion in each episodes.

In EP2, if the patient had died then there might be too much sadness in it coz we already have Jin-Hee's flash back on how hard she worked to be here. The mistake she made in drawing the blood. The interns labeling her as a failure. Chang-min constant bashing on her self-esteem. With the death of the patient, how will she ever cope? (she will though but I rather not put that on her :P)

Another thing I don't get is why the constant reminder of AGE? And the other interns labeling her...two mistakes and she's a goner. That married guy who called her according to the translation "dumb-wit" is a little too much. I'm feeling on her behalf coz I'm a goner too. (gone so far from reality that is)  :))

Guest mywebfoot

If it is a rom com, then yeah, the death could possibly have been too much at this stage @eccent To me, this show is trying to decide if it wants to be Grey's Anatomy or Scrubs. Both have comedy, love and hospital drama, just in different measures. I hope it will edge more into the Scrubs territory and have lots of laugh out loud moments. (The Pee Toss Scene was a good start!)
About coping: hehe I like to put characters into tough situations and then turn the wringer just one more notch up. It makes for great watching :P and since they are all fictional people anyway, I have no guilt for wishing them tough times. :)
About age-linked labels: I think they mentioned she's 33? I think it's possible. She's about 5-6 years older than the expected age for internship. I understand her being ostracized, as I shared earlier. In competitive, urban asia, there are a lot of expectations to perform 'on time' in your career. Eg. done with studying at 26, married by 30, kids by 35 etc. On top of that, she's isn't genius-brilliant, so she may seem 'slow' to the other high performers. Not that I'm defending the married guy's behavior, just explaining how inadvertently mean people can be to an older female student.

Guest luvjinhyuk

@mywebfoot I remember when the chief Dr was doing roll call he called out oh jin hee's name and mentioned her bday and the year 1982 so she's 31 but in Korea time she's 32

Just finished watching the second episode with English subtitles. If I liked it a lot yesterday, I like it more today. There's so much feels in this. I just noticed that four of the leads have deep voices. I really like their tone when speaking their lines.
I have mentioned that in the first episode, it was my first time to see a kissing scene right away. And on the second episode, it's my first time seeing a female lead taking a bath (bath scene) for I usually see the leading men/supporting actors doing it. Hee. 
Love the interaction between our two main leads:
1. When Oh Chang Min was surprised to see both of the women in his life - his mother and his ex-wife. Seeing his reaction when he saw that the women might see each other again, he didn't think twice to run towards Jin Hee. It feels like between the two, his heart will always choose (consciously or unconsciously) his ex-wife over his mom. It was proven true once, I suppose.
2. When Chang Min laid his hand on Jin Hee's mouth to shut her up from speaking, Jin Hee's reaction was so cute. She touched the part where the fingers of her ex-husband touched her. I think she misses how he was or how they were when it comes to skinship before. 
3. When the ER Chief Kook Cheon Soo was scolding Jin Hee and the the members of Team 4 were eavesdropping, Chang Min somehow thought of the way on how the members won't hear the embarrassment of Jin Hee. 
4. When they were in line to get food for lunch/dinner, although they bickered at first and Chang Min let Han A Reum to get in line first, he still pulled Jin Hee to come in line ahead of him. I think he still cares on how she'll see him even though he was trying to let Jin Hee know what his type of woman is when they (all of Team 4 members) were off to go home.
Love some scenes between Oh Jin Hee and ER Chief Cheon Soo:
1. When he scolded her and forgave her afterwards. It was supposed to be dramatic, but I found it so hilarious when Jin Hee couldn't get up properly, and she held on to his pants. Haha. If the pants were pulled off, that'll be so embarrassing again for her.
2. When they were drawing blood on a patient where Jin Hee showed her skills when it comes to identifying what the problem was (after she was yelled at both by Chang Min and Cheon Soo). I think the ER Chief somehow saw that she has a potential.
3. Can I say I love how his stares at Jin Hee are? I know we are still at the early stage of the show, but there's something in the way he looks at her that makes me wonder why.
Love these scenes as well:
1. When Chang Min asked Cheon Soo to let him be transferred to another department to which the ER Chief asked whether it was because of Oh Jin Hee. It's nice that he can somehow see the reason behind it even though he wasn't certain about it. 
2. How the mothers of the main leads were introduced:
a. Chang Min's mother - Even though she wasn't that shown as a smart woman, she was shown as a very manipulative, calculative, and capable woman. She can easily do things with her money. She thinks that money is power.
b. Jin Hee's mother - How endearing it is to have a proud mother, and a mother who can lashes out visitors who talk badly about her daughter and her past. I think she was so supportive of Jin Hee.
Just curious about these:1. How did Chang Min and Jin Hee get to know each other? 2. How did the two of them fell in love?3. How did Chang Min propose?4. How did they end up marrying each other without having a witness from their family?5. How did the ER Chief and Shim Ji Hye know each other? What was their relationship before?6. How did Chang Min's uncle become the ER Chief's classmate?7. Lastly, I want to know how it was for Jin Hee and Chang Min to live without each other after all the past six years. 
Gosh! I am so drawn to this drama, so please pardon me for all these thoughts that both my mind and my fingers agreed to type. Hee. Good to know that the episode had increased last night. I am looking forward to the next two episodes on Friday and Saturday. Fighting!~
Off to read the last few threads I've missed to read. Hihi. Hello to all who are here! :)

Guest gabriellexis

victorb said:  A few things bugged me, nothing big but just things that come up in medical Kdramas : Why does the dr. doing the teaching have to yell and belittle the interns who are there to learn? 

My opinion for ep1

I think CM was the one who initiated the idea of getting married. He seems to be in lead and went to his former prof church so that they can get married (there was a mass being held at the time too). When he took out the ring and put on JH finger, she has a shocked expression. So she may not expected that CM actually prepared a ring for her.

CM belittle his wife because he thought that JH does nothing other than lying down at home, he didnt know how severe her illness is. He just gave her some random drug which was why JH thought that CM was trying to kill her.

roshan90 said:@stuartjmz @victorb
I accept "Instruction By Abuse" is a bad thing too.. But these people are doctors and when Lives are at stake here, I dont mind when the Chief got angry at Jin Hee.. And yeah the Chief should loosen up a bit LOL. And I also dont get why people have to kneel down to stress their point too.. But in that scene where Jin Hee knelt before the Chief, he was also shocked and a bit flustered too.. I am sure 
there will be quite a meaningful transition for his character..  :)>-

Yes, that scene made it clear that he was surprised into wondering if he'd gone too far. He's also second lead, which means he's genetically pre-programmed to be nice to the lead female. :)

@LavelyShai - It's not just you. I love them, too! Hope they realize that they still love each other too! Kekeke. :)
@saranghaechoiseunghyun - Thank you for the screen captures as well as the videos. More, please! Kkk~ :)
@booha - Thank you for the translation.
@iloveporkandbeans - Love all your edited captioned pictures. Keep it coming. Lol.
@kimbo39 - Thank you for saying the title of the song, I was actually looking for it. You're such a savior. Hihi. 
@anjshin - It will be good if the ER Chief will confirm that fishy feeling of smelling something. Hihi. At least then, he'll realize as to why those two seem to be like what they don't seem to be. Haha.
@clockwatcher - I agree! I think he's just doing the pretense for his defense. :)
@stuartjmz - I think he will be more likely surprised to see her still does what he asked to do in spite of him being 'mean'. I think there was this scene where i-don't-know-how-to-call-the-short-haired-girl-who-wears-orange-uniform mentioned that two interns dropped/had quit due to his ways. I think he'll be amazed how tough Jin Hee is in the future.

@shaym - yes, you're probably right about her toughness surprising him. I definitely agree with @victorb that the level of abuse he was dishing out was excessive, especially on the first day. It was unrealistic and exaggerated, not qualities I associate with K Dramas. 

I found that scene too long and over the top (and I even got a little turned off and watched something else for a bit) but on the contrary, I think unrealistic and exaggerated is very common in Kdramas, especially in the early episodes of comedies to hook the audience. 
But we also have to remember how she even got to the ER and his first impression of her. Plus he later got to see that she's quite a capable doctor and even noticed something with the patient that he brushed off. So all's well that ends well, I suppose. 

victorb said: gabriellexis said: @victorbIt also happens outside the kdramaland. Grey's Anatomy is a good example. The seniors may not be as mean as the sunbae's in kdramas, but they are rather strict and meticulous. 

Sometimes, I feel like I was watching a comedy version of Grey's Anatomy. :))

I got my wife to watch Episode 1 this morning before she went to work, and successfully doubled the number of fans of the show in our household.  I was also thinking again about Episode 2, and the scene where for me CM gave away that he does still care. It was in the closet, with these words: 
busted.jpg

The question he should have asked himself is "why should I care what happens to her?" If he really hated her, why rush to hide her from his Mum? Why not get out of the way, and LET his Mum destroy her? Of course, we know the answer, but I thought that it was a wonderful way for the writers to reveal his inner feelings without revealing them, as it were. And, very much unlike him that scene, when I say this I am not taking the p.i.s.s.

Thanks to @booha for the English translation! ERMW is a drama that full of fun!!
Here is the official Promo for Epi 3&4 with English subtitles and captions.
Translation: boohaProduction: PolarisCat* Re-upload is prohibited without consent.* Re-post the video link, please kindly give proper credit. 
Thanks & enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFaou1sidAc

Archived