Yoo Yeon Seok 유연석 (Upcoming Drama 2021 : Hospital Playlist S2)

kokodus

@cygnus109 aww no bb, ignore them because it's not worth it! Here, have some Bong-ah!
tumblr_mweiecMjcm1s5dwico2_250.gif
cr: veealterego tumblr
Anyways, I-rewatched that scene where Chilbong comes down the stairs and acts all distant with Na Jeong but it's totally lost on her and she backs up to pull his hood down for the umpteenth time. Gosh, that sequence is just so cute but so heartbreaking at the same time because Chilbong looked so defeated and it occurred to me that maybe Chilbong was trying to give up his feelings on Na Jeong at that point. But goshdarnit, she does one cute thing and his resolve breaks. It kills me how he tried though. And then at the kitchen table where he clocks in Na Jeong's tense reaction to Oppa patting her head, I think he actually saw her pain (that so mirrored his own) in that moment and I LOVE that he put his own feelings aside and wordlessly went to help her with the dishes. 
Gah this show, stop giving my ship these beautiful quiet moments!!!
Btw @paradicez welcome! Make yourself at home here and fangirl about Yeon Seok and Chilbong to your heart's desire! :D

cygnus109 said:EDIT: Btw, can someone please explain why Chilbong said that he can't have a one-side love for 2 years? Didn't they meet in 1994 and that confession's dated December 31, 1994?

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aww, calm down in this safe space for now LOL <3 Hopefully more and more CB/YYS fans will find us haha. There was multiple incidents of deliberate and downright snarky jabs at not just Chilbongie the character and his relationship with Najeong but by extension their fans -.- So I gave up trying to even engage in proper discussion. Oh welp. 
I think what Chilbongie meant by his one-sided love not going on for two years ... is perhaps not letting it go unsaid for two years - it went unsaid for most of 1994 and he didn't want that again in 1995. In his eyes, once he confesses, she either gives him a chance or rejects him. He just couldn't let things go unsaid like a big elephant in the room. His urgency and acting in the now I thought was a plus for him (especially with all the buildup about that theme and making monumental decisions that can affect your future) but after ep 11 preview where Najeong states that her ideal man is one who is patient and waits and only loves her ... hmmm ... I'm starting to get worried again. Aish these writers. 
As for the grandma scene - ahh I guess I was just overthinking it when I thought it meant more than just a message for him to not delay his confession or else he'd regret it. It still could've been said much quicker LOL. I'm still wracking my mind over why they included Chilbongie's act of heroism with the drink Ahjussii. It was nice to see a side to his character but it just didn't have much to do with the "last time" theme I dunno. 
About Oppa leaving - I did think maybe the preview might be alluding to that. But then I don't know why he'd say he was living like trash all this time. And then there are those spoilers about the attractive senior class member making an appearance in Ep 11. I don't know - I have a theory that he might have lived with a girlfriend during the years when he was in Seoul alone without the Sung family (hence calling himself trash - which ties in to what Najeong's friends said about him living with his girlfriend after that meeting date) and that her parents do know. But I DON'T KNOW!! His character description from ep 0 said that he hasn't been able to maintain a steady girlfriend for more than 2-3 months. Sigh. The wait will be torturous. 

Guest cygnus109

@candid59 Thanks for the CB dose! ;)And nooo! If that episode title's actually for Chilbong and not for Najung... the feels!
@PBJayism I'm actually hoping more would join in. But when I see the number of people online in this forum... I get :-SAre you guys spying from the Oppa thread or something? It'd be great if you put your two cents in but please, :)>-
---
What's that about Appa and Umma Sung scene?
I was close to cringing, while watching it. Appa can be really insensitive at times and seeing Umma Sung almost crying but still placating her husband... I suddenly imagined how it would play out for Chilbong and Najung, since the parents and our OTP are the same in this regard - both guys' profession are baseball and both girls don't know anything about them.
Why did Najung say she wants a man who's consistently by her side?
Ouch. Is this going to be rebound-time? If ever she does give Chilbong a chance, would it be because she knows how it feels to have a one-sided love? Would she try to reciprocate his feelings not because she's ready to move on but because she empathizes with his situation?
Would Chilbong actually be that kind of man?
So I'd like to think that he's the type who would, but I think it's actually gone to a point wherein being the patient type man would be unrealistic... maybe? Would he give up now, later or not ever? And if he gives up now, would it actually mean that they won't be OTP since Najung still doesn't feel the same way?
What's with Oppa saying he lived like a trash before?
Woah. Show, writer-nim - you'd be so brave if you actually went there. Oppa's supposed to be a flawed person but if what Najung once lied about were actually true - if Oppa really lived with his girlfriend - then I think I'd suddenly be interested in his character and his search for redemption. It would explain why he's not close to his family right now and how he would think that he doesn't deserve Najung.
---
EDIT: So I just finished reading @PBJayism 's comment. I don't know if the character description would fit in either, but it's still possible since he's been in Seoul for years already and he's only single for 2-3 months.

tumblr_mwejyiA7kd1sjptmeo3_250.giftumblr_mwejyiA7kd1sjptmeo1_250.giftumblr_mwejyiA7kd1sjptmeo4_250.giftumblr_mwejyiA7kd1sjptmeo2_250.gif
tumblr_mwejyiA7kd1sjptmeo5_250.giftumblr_mwejyiA7kd1sjptmeo6_250.gif
cr: rabbitdd.tumblr.com
tumblr_mwehn2W6tb1so1tnbo1_250.giftumblr_mwehn2W6tb1so1tnbo2_250.gif
tumblr_mwehn2W6tb1so1tnbo4_250.giftumblr_mwehn2W6tb1so1tnbo3_250.gif
tumblr_mwehn2W6tb1so1tnbo5_250.giftumblr_mwehn2W6tb1so1tnbo6_250.gif
tumblr_mwehn2W6tb1so1tnbo7_500.gif
cr: ktobfinite.tumblr.com
tumblr_mwehifyJ3v1s5dwico1_250.giftumblr_mwehifyJ3v1s5dwico4_250.giftumblr_mwehifyJ3v1s5dwico6_250.giftumblr_mwehifyJ3v1s5dwico2_250.giftumblr_mwehifyJ3v1s5dwico5_250.giftumblr_mwehifyJ3v1s5dwico3_250.gif
cr: veealterego.tumblr.com
They are so beautiful it physically pains me :'( Why can't you be happy ... together? LOL
I was internally screaming at the hoodie scene and the kitchen scene - he is SO affected and hyperaware of Najeong, I can't understand how he is anything BUT sincere. 
I too also wondered whether the title of Episode 11 was about Chilbongie's first love and not Najeong's. Sigh. Oppa's voiceover saying that in order to end a one-sided love, you have to confess. I personally think Chilbongie will back off initially but might reconsider holding on after Najeong says she wants a guy who can be patient and wait. 

What's that about Appa and Umma Sung scene?
So I wasn't the only one who noticed some similarities between our OTP and Sung parents LOL. I do have to remind myself of the quieter moments and small things he does for his wife when he's screaming like that, in order to not cringe haha. But in all honesty, I couldn't imagine Chilbongie ever having that short a fuse with Najeong - he'll be frustrated with her lack of knowledge for the game but like in Ep 7 when he was trying to explain icing to her, he dropped the subject the moment he realised none of it made sense to her either way hahaha. What I'm excited about is the progression of innocent Chilbongie to the more aggressive and jaded one of 2013. It also should be noted that they've made remarks of how Najeong has become a lot more placating and "obedient" to her husband so IF Chilbongie does turn out to be Hubby - how did he manage to tame the wild Sung Najeong? (Another +1 in his favour. When they were trying to convince Najeong to drink Dad's soju, it was ultimately Chilbongie that convinced her in the end ;) hahaha I'm so biased it's hilarious) 
Why did Najung say she wants a man who's consistently by her side?
Yeh, this also really worries me. The course of the rest of the narrative depends solely on whether she turns to Chilbongie as a rebound or genuinely because she does feel something for him and wants to give it a chance. It's why I'm still telling myself that Oppa is endgame - to save myself more heartbreak :'( 
Would Chilbong actually be that kind of man?
I mentioned this briefly but your question just sent my mind a-ticking once more LOL. So far, everything we've been shown of Chilbongie - no I honestly don't think he's the most patient type. He's an athlete, primed to attack and take action. He also proved that he's not one to sit by and suffer one-sided love in silence. He confessed (mostly for himself) but it was also because he knew it was the only way to really move forward with Najeong. If he didn't say anything, another year would go by with her treating him like a friend and him angsting because of it. Him confessing, is in a way almost, forcing her eyes open to look at him at least a little differently. To him, his actions have been obvious but I think he's realised that she just didn't see, so he took action. As I said, I do think he'll initially back off (as he tried to at the beginning of Ep 10 - my feelz) but perhaps Najeong stating what her ideal man is like and maybe with Oppa's departure; he may be encouraged once more to enter the ring haha. I think his relationship with Najeong will be his learning curve - he'll learn to put another's feelings before his, he'll learn how to selflessly love, he'll learn how to be patient and wait. At least that's what I hope for him.(A possible foreshadowing? Yoonjin commenting how impatient the groom was on the wedding day and that he's been waiting for this moment so long?) 
---
EDIT (because I don't want to triple post and I'm still avoiding the drama thread. Too much tension for my liking ^^) 

AHAHAHAHA Heechul the crazy fan of Najeong/Chilbongie couple. LOL I relate to his spastic reaction to Oppa/Najeong so acutely :P 

Guest cygnus109

What's with the Appa and Umma scene?
Oh, I have faith he won't be screaming like Appa, but I remember that time when Najung went utterly silent at the baseball field... I can't get that expression out of my head (=D> to Go Ara for pulling that off). Mi Soo judged Najung's ignorance and even though Chilbong defended Najung, she still got affected by what Mi Soo said. It probably won't happen again but that face... I seriously don't want to see it again. :o3 She might have been more sad from getting rejected but it didn't shut her down the way she did at that baseball field. After getting rejected, she gets hurt, she gets frustrated, but she actually fights back or laughs it off. I remember that second confession she made and I actually liked it because she kicked his shin for not taking her seriously and complained like a sister would to her brother. If only they'd just be siblings - less angst and more "aww" moments. I'm excited by the change in Chilbong, too, even though I'd miss innocent Chilbong. (And lol, that's why I love this thread. We can all be biased and no one's gonna mind.)

PBJayism

said:

I think his relationship with Najeong will be his learning curve - he'll learn to put another's feelings before his, he'll learn how to selflessly love, he'll learn how to be patient and wait. At least that's what I hope for him.

- YES to never wanting to see downtrodden/defeated Najeong. I don't like seeing her with an inferiority complex (partly why I get second-hand frustration and really upset for her whenever Oppa laughs off her confessions and she starts to question herself - like in the preview with Haitai I assume) 
- I'll always have a soft spot for innocent Chilbongie and I hope that once we finally wrap up the series and revisit the gang in 2013 ... he'll crack one of his sweet angelic smiles again .. perhaps when seeing his 3 kids? puahaha
- I think we ALL crave moar chilbongie interaction with everyone else. I felt cheated out of proper interaction with him and Binggrae (though I understand the reasons and why they've drawn a line as same-aged cousins). But we are getting a nice buildup of SCP/Chilbongie :D I love that SCP's grandma still mentioned Chilbongie up until 2013 lol. He's got a lot of growing up to do and plenty to learn and it would be a disservice to his character if it's all from the conundrums of his relationship with Najeong. What I would give for some more insight and scenes about his upbringing and family life. 
- Regarding Oppa and the preview. I do think Ep 11 will FINALLY deliver us on his backstory and why he is so reluctant to do anything about Najeong's feelings. Quite nervous but excited too - the episode would mark the second half of the drama and I do believe it'll be the turning point. Sigh. For Chilbongie, I'm quite sure the poor boy is going to be suffering one way or another. The situation that makes most sense to me right now is that Oppa has his own inferiority complex and doesn't believe he's deserving of Najeong's PURE first love.I'm not ruling out anything at this stage LOL but I do feel like a child out of wedlock would be too much to plausibly write into the story hahaha. 
EDIT; Public Announcement - to everyone reading or lurking ... please come out to play with us <3 hahaha. Share the Chilbongie/YYS love! :D Whether it be a single line declaring you're on the CB/NJ ship or some images - anything is welcome :) So far we've been word-vomiting everywhere but I think it's just because the drama brings out so much passion and feeeelz. 

Guest JunnieZa

I did not thought that I would be in the CB/NJ ship intially but I was "wooed" by Chilbong's actions and the way he look at Najung (his abs were bonus points ;p) and frustrated with Oppa with his lack of actions (if he likes/don't like NJ more than oppa/dongseng just say so, quick pain is much better than a long prolonged pain!). The way CB steal glances and smile at NJ makes me smile. It is exactly how you react when you like someone more than a friend... I really hope he is the end game... 
For me, Ep 10 is good. There are so many things that happen in the ep.-The scene at the staircase - It seem (to me) he wants to keep his distance with NJ but failed... -That look that he gave NJ when NJ look at Oppa during the meal. He knows how NJ felt and its exactly how he felt. *Heartbreak*
-He started to help NJ with the dishes without a word. 
-Going to Samcheonpo just to see NJ. He must have missed her lots!!
-Chilbong confessed. He is seriously smooth with words! And the kiss with NJ! She will be thinking of it for days!!! Its her first kiss after all (those drunk ones dun count)!!

Reply 1994 is a very very good show!!! With all the kdrama (or any other type of drama) I watched, I was not as emotionally invested as in reply 1994. Writer-nim and PD-nim are the best! If not for them, I dun think the cast are able to give such a spectacular performance.
PS. I like this thread... There is more analysis and thoughts about CB actions. 

Guest 8001spring

PBJayism said: What's that about Appa and Umma Sung scene?
So I wasn't the only one who noticed some similarities between our OTP and Sung parents LOL. I do have to remind myself of the quieter moments and small things he does for his wife when he's screaming like that, in order to not cringe haha. But in all honesty, I couldn't imagine Chilbongie ever having that short a fuse with Najeong - he'll be frustrated with her lack of knowledge for the game but like in Ep 7 when he was trying to explain icing to her, he dropped the subject the moment he realised none of it made sense to her either way hahaha. What I'm excited about is the progression of innocent Chilbongie to the more aggressive and jaded one of 2013. It also should be noted that they've made remarks of how Najeong has become a lot more placating and "obedient" to her husband so IF Chilbongie does turn out to be Hubby - how did he manage to tame the wild Sung Najeong? (Another +1 in his favour. When they were trying to convince Najeong to drink Dad's soju, it was ultimately Chilbongie that convinced her in the end ;) hahaha I'm so biased it's hilarious) 

Guest cygnus109

ep10-3.jpg?dl=1&token_hash=AAGFrS9yZEdIMep10-4.jpg?dl=1&token_hash=AAHz3kjPOEBWc

The feels of Chilbong's look... It's as if he thinks this is the last time. I suddenly remembered what Yoon Jae said in AM1997 - that he confessed because he wanted the one-sided love to end. On the other hand, I totally could not decipher Najung's expression.
And after that kiss, the way he wanted to ran away at that point...
ep10-5.jpg?dl=1&token_hash=AAEVbnzJjVeax

</3
---
- Maybe (Yes, please!) to that angelic smile when he sees his kids. (EDIT: I just realized how I said "when" and not "if". Lol. I'm so not ready if Oppa-NJ's the endgame)
- And about that child out of wedlock, hahahaha. I know, right? This show's making me think of all this ludicrous thoughts.But it would be totally hilarious if this would be the case. I could just imagine the reactions of the viewers. It's gonna be like <:-P in AM threads.
- Regarding that scene at the staircase, btw, I couldn't see that he was trying to move on... or maybe it's like the magic eye thing? If he did, though, it would definitely be realistic. All those frustrating times when you decide to get over your crush and suddenly your crush does something that makes you fall harder for that person... it's ironic and bittersweet at the same time <3
EDIT: Is it me or is Yoon Jin's hair longer in the preview? ... So we get a time jump?

Guest cygnus109

Speaking of baseball and Najung, I'm not sure what my reaction would be if he has to choose between both. I appreciated that scene where Chilbong said that a true ace player doesn't rely on jinx but on skills; that he's a love sick puppy, but he's not that love sick that it would affect his own sense of worth or his baseball. So I do think that choosing between baseball and Najung would definitely be a catalyst for a character development... it's just that I don't think I'd like to see him choose.
If he chose baseball, I think my heart would break a little because I'd be thinking about all those smitten Bong-ah looks and I'd be saddened that this would be the way it would end.
If he chose Najung, well... there goes my ideal Chilbong. I'd give him credit for being sincere, but I'd be mad at him for being foolish. Then again, they're in their youth and I can't really clean my hands and say that I've made the most sensible decisions at that time.
Actually, that last episode, Chilbong had already made decisions that might be detrimental to his baseball career. I doubt he was well-rested for the meeting with the Japan team since he did go to a 6-hour trip twice - one to Samcheonpo and another back to Seoul. He did swim to save the drunk man even when it was winter and even got bitten by him. Granted, it was a life-and-death situation and he had to do what he had to do, but life's not really that kind and it won't hear any excuses. Chilbong would have character development if he would lose baseball, but... the feels. I hope he won't have to.

cygnus109

said:

it's just that I don't think I'd like to see him choose.
Actually, that last episode, Chilbong had already made decisions that might be detrimental to his baseball career. I doubt he was well-rested for the meeting with the Japan team since he did go to a 6-hour trip twice - one to Samcheonpo and another back to Seoul. He did swim to save the drunk man even when it was winter and even got bitten by him. Granted, it was a life-and-death situation and he had to do what he had to do, but life's not really that kind and it won't hear any excuses. Chilbong would have character development if he would lose baseball, but... the feels. I hope he won't have to.

Guest cygnus109

candid59 said: I'm really hoping it doesn't go to that extreme because I think Chilbongie could make both work. Also, it just too dramatic and I get frustrated whenever this happens in other dramas because I always ask why can't it be both? So yes, I hope that if he does get to that point he's like, "Screw all y'all, I can have both!"

Guest jongfucius

Found this video while searching for a particular song I had heard on the show, and what a coincidence... Yoo Yeon-seok starred in what I'm assuming is the MV for this song :) 

Anyways, the song was featured in episode 8, and I just thought I'd share with you guys ~ 

Guest JunnieZa

@candid59 glad to be on board this ship! :D
I was looking at ep11 preview, NJ seem to be nervous, drinking all the cups of tea (or beer?) before the shot of CB. I hope this is not a scene of rejection... 
At this moment, there is a lot of barriers for CB/NJ if they get together (if it is Oppa/NJ there is also another list)- NJ put in a situation where she realize she also like CB- CB would have a lingering thought about Oppa since he is NJ first love (like how NJ mom is) and have to get over it and still remain good friends with Oppa (which I find it is hard base on how my friends react...)- There should be a separation period? since they got married only 2002- Since CB is an ace, there should be like more female fans? I dun see this... Maybe some jealousy at NJ end? Personally, I don't see NJ understand that CB is a sports celebrity like her Lee Sung Min. There was only shots of her understanding CB is good at baseball but not the degree of how famous he is...- CB and NJ understanding each other interests. NJ seems clueless about baseball and CB have yet to see NJ in action (cheering for basketball).
cygnus109 said: I think I rewatched episode 7-8 around 5 times and I don't feel like rewatching episode 9-10, except for the NJ-CB and SCP-YJ.

@jongfucius thanks for sharing the vid! LOL at his hair but aww he still looks like a bb. :3  Junnie said:At this moment, there is a lot of barriers for CB/NJ if they get together (if it is Oppa/NJ there is also another list)- NJ put in a situation where she realize she also like CB- CB would have a lingering thought about Oppa since he is NJ first love (like how NJ mom is) and have to get over it and still remain good friends with Oppa (which I find it is hard base on how my friends react...)- There should be a separation period? since they got married only 2002- Since CB is an ace, there should be like more female fans? I dun see this... Maybe some jealousy at NJ end? Personally, I don't see NJ understand that CB is a sports celebrity like her Lee Sung Min. There was only shots of her understanding CB is good at baseball but not the degree of how famous he is...- CB and NJ understanding each other interests. NJ seems clueless about baseball and CB have yet to see NJ in action (cheering for basketball).

@Junnie nice! I love speculating about possible obstacles they'll have to overcome in order to be that married couple by 2002. And I agree with what you listed! All the more reason why this OTP has so much potential and that 10 episodes is just enough to cover all those barriers. On that note, I would like to find out more about Najeong's interests - it can't be solely the Yonsei Basketball team right? HAHA. And I'm excited to see what sort of career she'll choose. They spent half the drama on 1994 and now I feel like the second half will be jumping through the rest of the years.
The main reason why I'm ~cautiously~ optimistic is that in my personal opinion, I can't see them plausibly dragging out Oppa's reluctance to reciprocate Najeong's feelings for at the very least 5 more episodes. And that is the only true obstacle in those two being endgame. Which is why, I still think that they're heading down a road where Najeong will have to say goodbye to her first love and make a decision to move forward with a new one. It could just be wishful thinking but I think we'll know in a couple episodes time. 
Also, just some spoilers for the preview scene. 
dress.jpgtwitter.jpg
cr: Blue's Electric Ground She was filmed on Yonsei Campus all prettied up (same outfit as the preview scene) ... so she either has a planned meeting with Chilbongie or they randomly bump into one another at university. 
EDIT BRB flying to Korea to hug Yoo Yeon Seok :'( 

OMO OMO ... So MUCH amazing discussion going on about Chilbongie/Baseball/Najeong. 
For me, part of Chilbongie's appeal is his passion and professionalism when it comes to baseball. I squealed, swooned and then fist-pumped when he said a true ace doesn't rely on jinxes/luck but skill and talent. He's worked hard to cultivate his innate talent and that passion and pride in his pitcher skills is a large part of who he is. I don't think I'd ever truly reconcile with the possibility of Chilbongie parting ways with baseball by choice. 
I don't even think he's the type of character as yet to choose love over baseball - definitely not at this stage, because despite his feelings growing stronger each day ... he thinks of Najeong only once baseball is taken out of the equation. She's his first thought once he no longer has that obligation (going to her immediately but only after being given leave) I too think he's the type of character to want both and make it work - that tenacity is also a large part of his appeal. ACKKK. He really is my ideal character/man /faints
As for the Sampoong Department store collapse. OMO OMO OMO OMO. It CAN'T be pure coincidence that they dropped a subtle hint about Chilbongie living opposite that department store right???? So spoilers so far have Binggrae in a patient's gown and possibly Najeong sitting in the back of the ambulance. Strangely no signs of Chilbongie other than one witness saying they MAY have seen him filming. They're keeping things on lockdown in terms of Chilbongie right?? This is so sadistic of me, but I really AM so hopeful and excited of what this tragedy will do in terms of the story and that I really need it to have affected Chilbongie ... because OMG the potential conflict, angst and .. hurrdurrr feeeeelllzz. 
EDIT: JUST FOR THE LOLZ
Behold ... the beauty of viki timed comments LOLOL. I remember cackling when I saw that caption.tumblr_mwg01fTzKi1ri73u9o1_500.jpg
cr: lol-viki.tumblr.com

Chilbongie the character just gets me in all the right places. He's such a stud, but surprisingly modest. Confident, but a total goofball when it comes to Na Jeong. Self-assured, yet also very vulnerable. Sigh. If I didn't like Na Jeong so much, I'd have him for myself if I could.
@PBJayism LOLOL Guuuuurl your flaily fangirly comments crack. Me. Up. Especially since you're one of the most insightful soompiers that I've come across on the thread so I'm glad to also have you sailing this beautiful heartbreaking perfect ship. But yes, I was wondering if the spoiler pic of Binggrae in a hospital gown is also the same day as the collapse or a separate incident. I hope it's the latter (for more Oppa/Binggrae moments because they are my guilty crack ship, gay or not) because I'm such a sucker for teh angst and like you, need it to involve Chilbongie because there's nothing like tragic events and the risk of losing someone to bring out the feelings and obligatory Na Jeong tending to Chilbong's injuries and fussing over him. Cliches be damned! But what other reason is there for Na Jeong to ride a bus near the Sampoong dept store if not to go see if Chilbong is okay right? I mean, she ain't definitely buying no expensive delicious melons! akfjaskldjalskdja
Bahahaha the timed comments on Viki give me so much life! I love reading lulzy fan reactions!

Archived