Yoo Yeon Seok 유연석 (Upcoming Drama 2021 : Hospital Playlist S2)

kokodus

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoo discussion! Totes settling in right now.
Is there any significance to how none of the boarders have yet to go see Chilbongie play? -I think since Na Jeong is an integral part of Chilbongie's story arc, the majority of his scenes will revolve around Na Jeong. Also, due to time constraints with filming, I like to believe all the bromancin' and bonding happens off-screen. I think it's enough that the other boarders know and acknowledge Chilbongie's celebrity status but it's Na Jeong's approval that Chilbong seeks so the fact that they'd only show Na Jeong going to the games is to signify to the viewers that it's a Big. Effing. Deal. Like @PBJayism mentioned though, it's nice that they included that scene of just the boys hanging out at the bar sans Oppa just to give us a break from the RomAngst.
Did anyone else notice the subtle changes in NJ/CB? I LOVE LOVE LOVE just how comfortable these two are with each other and I can never get enough of Na Jeong touching Chilbong and him internally swooning n turn LOLOL. But it's also nice to see them being able to do things together with no romantic implications from Chilbongie's end like playing around with that Magic Eye book, eating a meal together at a restaurant, randomly calling each other, seeing each other at school, etc. It's a refreshing change from other shows *coughsHeirscoughs* to see a heroine being able to physically breathe around the guy who likes her. 
And you bring up a great point that no matter how good enough terms Chilbong and Na Jeong stayed on if Na Jeong eventually ended up with Oppa, I don't think Chilbong would be THAT involved in Na Jeong's life in 2013, so much so that he'd have no qualms taking a nap in someone else's master bedroom.  (Yes, I will forever be fixated on that sexy shot of him taking off his sweater as he walks to the master bedroom. Also, notice that he never came back out with it. Hmm. HMMMM.)
Any symbolism behind the fact that his confession was in the form of the magic eye puzzle - something that everyone else (including Oppa) could see but Najung couldn't? I'm pretty sure the Magic Eye image, besides from providing much-needed comic relief (LOLOL At Na Jeong and Dad's frustration at not being able to see anything. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree after all), was another frustrating metaphorical representation of Chilbong and Na Jeong's current situation. Chilbong wears his heart on his sleeve and I think, from his perspective, it should be obvious to Na Jeong  that she pretty much has him wrapped her finger. When he goes, "It's so easy! How can you not see it?", we all know he's not talking about the image anymore and is referring to his feelings. But Na Jeong is still blind-sided by her feelings for Oppa. But all it takes is just one word or action to nudge Na Jeong in the other (and hopefully right *crosses fingers*) direction and see Chilbong as a potential romantic interest and not just as a friend. Inevitably the air will start to change between them once Na Jeong is aware of Chilbong's not-so-platonic feelings for her. In a way, it was to indicate that as assertive as Chilbong's being in his actions, verbal confirmation is much more effective and he just needs to stop playing these cryptic games and tiptoeing around the issue and just say it already! (Yayy at him FINALLY confessing in the next episode!)
Where do you think this narrative is heading?
Ahh, I honestly don't know! I still have the feeling they're setting us up for a major reversal with Oppa as the husband and I am suddenly side-eyeing Hai Tai as a possible contender that I'm getting a little worried again. I think I'll get back to this question after the next episode since we'll have hit the halfway mark so hopefully by then. I'll have a clearer idea of where the story is going cuz there's still enough time to turn things around and into Oppa's favor. But judging from the spoilers, it looks like life-changing events are in store for our Sinchon boarders which could have important implications on Chilbongie's baseball career and relationship with Na Jeong. 

tumblr_mwc5xqotVR1qbxx00o1_250.giftumblr_mwc5xqotVR1qbxx00o2_250.gifcr: http://shura.tumblr.com/
tumblr_mwc4owbXe31qbxx00o2_250.giftumblr_mwc4owbXe31qbxx00o1_250.gif
tumblr_mwc4owbXe31qbxx00o6_250.giftumblr_mwc4owbXe31qbxx00o5_250.gif
tumblr_mwc4owbXe31qbxx00o4_250.giftumblr_mwc4owbXe31qbxx00o3_250.gif
“When you try to say the real point, tons of your thoughts are flowing up at once, sometimes you can’t open your mouth. When that happens, you have to breathe deeply and pick up all those floating thoughts one by one. As you’re doing that at one point in time, you realize that what you really wanted to say what just a simple matter with one or two words. Now you can start the word like this, ‘So what I really wanted to say is…’”
cr: http://shura.tumblr.com/

Guest cygnus109

Possible Symbolism and Foreshadowing
I know, I might just be deluding myself, but here are some things that might just have more meaning. I do believe that the magic eye puzzle has a meaning like @PBJayism and @candid59, but they already discussed this here and I don't really have anything to add, so I won't list it here anymore.

• The winning ball
Recap: The first time Najung went to Chilbong's game, Chilbong was at the field while Najung was at the audience stands. There was a net separating them. Wordlessly, Chilbong began to walk to the left side and Najung followed, until there wasn't a barrier between them anymore. Chilbong stopped and held out his hands, Najung copied him, understanding his silent request. He threw the winning balll at her hands and she caught it.
Possible meaning: To some, this analysis may be cheesy, but I was so on board with the symbolism I suddenly thought of when I watched, rewinded and rewatched this scene a couple of times. It's actually one of the reasons why I was so convinced Chilbong would be end game, because the allegory would be just genius, in my opinion. For me, Najung's feelings for Oppa served as a barrier between them - a barrier that didn't exactly hinder Chilbong from throwing the winning ball to Najung. He'll lead in their relationship, just like the way he inclined his head and asked her to follow him and Najung would follow, confused but definitely walking in the same direction, until there would come a time when the barrier wouldn't block their way anymore. He would throw the ball, which signified "his youth and his life itself" (from Episode 00) to her, the person "who made his heart feel more excited and more fired up than baseball" (from Episode 8), and she would accept his sincerity and dedication with a smile.
  • Oppa's reaction
Recap: In episode 6, Oppa and Chilbong were playing catch. Oppa complained about the strength of Chilbong's throw. Appa Sung challenged Chilbong instead and caught the best throw Chilbong could make at that time. Chilbong got scolded that the throw was weak, but Appa Sung's hand was actually shaking from the impact. Appa went back inside and Oppa gave Chilbong a strange look.
Possible interpretation: It felt out of place then - the amount of time spent on that camera shot and the serious expression on Oppa's face when he's rarely serious and such a surprise does not really warrant a serious look. If Binggrae was the one who surprised Oppa with a talent, I'd think Oppa would be more smiley about it. So I pondered more about the scene. It was farfetch but I thought it could be some sort of a foreshadowing of the time Oppa underestimates Chilbong's impact in Najung's life. The last part where Chilbong was wondering what went wrong with his throw was another tidbit. There might come a time in the story where Chilbong might not be so sure about his advances. He made his best "pitch with all his power to Najung" (from Episode 00) but it might appear to him that it didn't work, but it actually did.
Bonus: If I remember it right, Chilbong called Oppa, a "non-player/ non-athlete" (Episode 6) and it would be cool if it were to mean that Oppa wasn't really a player in the CB-NJ-O triangle. Although I do think that this tidbit is more farfetched than the others.
  • First time at a baseball field
Recap: Najung and Kim Gi Tae went to the baseball field to deliver the burgers Chilbong ordered for the team. Najung was amazed at the view. Possible interpretation: It would be just ironic if Najung were to actually appreciate baseball in her own way, after insisting Chilbong change his sports from baseball to basketball.The harmless comment at the dugout Recap: At the dugout, after Najung and Kim Gi Tae distributed the food to the players and Chilbong and Najung were sitting on a bench, chatting, Najung asked Chilbong if he was injured. Chilbong answered that his bandage is not for an injury, but it's called an "icing". He explained what it meant, but she just stared blankly and he stopped explaining. Chilbong asked for a cola from Mi Soo and Najung and Mi Soo got introduced. Chilbong said Najung was the daughter of Sung Il Dong, a baseball coach, and Mi Soo said, "And yet you don't know about icing?" A close-up was shown of a silent Najung.
Possible interpretation: That girl. I swear, that girl's got to play some role somehow. It's a waste of screen time if she won't and I believe in the AM production so I believe those screen time won't be wasted. Anyway, if ever Chilbong and Najung is going to end up together, they have a lot of things to know about each other. Najung not knowing enough about baseball might not mean just that. It might also mean that Najung does not really know much about his world. It would also be fair for Mi Soo to come back, in order to show how little Najung knows about his world. She's probably going to be flamed, but it would serve the story better if the relationship's not too biased and Najung would have her own insecurity in their relationship.

@candid59 have you read through some spoilers on the main thread? I've been avoiding it like the plague because everyone's losing their marbles LOLOL. 
Just a general recap that mainly pertain to Chilbongie
- Najeong is excited by the snow and is in general in a happy mood that morning. She again confesses to Oppa and they actually share a sweet moment sitting side by side looking out at the snow- Chilbongie comes down the stairs and sees Najeong coming out of Oppa's room and he literally goes COLD. Like he barely responds to her and my heart.aches. She is still all happy and asks if he's going out for a run and then proceeds to pull him closer and puts his hood up. He's internally DYING. You can see it in his eyes. AISH THIS GIRL. But then she skips off and he smiles at her AGAIN. Ahhh he's got it BAD.- Gang decides to go up to SCP's home. Binggrae, Oppa and Chilbongie are unable to make it - Chilbongie due to practice and Oppa due to hospital duties. Chilbongie is at his coach's office and is told training is off and he literally rushes off to SCP to be with the gang :) Interesting enough - this scene was intercut with Oppa getting leave from hospital as well and rushing off somewhere ... turns out to be the pool hall with his med friends.- Chilbongie gets there and asks a neighbour for directions. He finally arrives at SCP's home. Yoonjin is left at home helping out with chores while HT/SCP/NJ are at a rally protest. Chilbongie sits with SCP's grandma and is fed - they have a realllly long conversation and the woman is clearly charmed by our Chilbongie LOL - Meanwhile NJ faints from the smoke fumes let off at the protest and HT carries her home. She is given some medicine and put to rest. - A neighbour comes running to SCP's home and exclaims that her husband is in the ocean (possibly wanting to drown himself?) and that's he drunk so not capable of swimming. Chilbongie actually came across the drunk man earlier. They ask if he can swim ... they all run down the waters and Chilbongie leaps in and forcibly drags the screaming drunk man out of the waters <333 - He is freezing and has caught a cold - coughing and sneezing .. but lies down next to a sleeping NJ (it was her in the previews! she just had on some ointment on her upper lip lol). Sidenote Chilbongie is dressed in country gear and LOLOLOL he looks like such a bumpkin I crey. - He gets up late in the middle of the night to catch the 6 hr bus back to Seoul. He accidentally coughs but covers it up hoping to not wake NJ. She wakes anyway and asks where he's going. Knowing that he's leaving SHE insists on coming to the terminal with him. Before the leave the house, he tries once again to tell her to go back inside and that's he's alright. She links arms with him and says it's fine- AT THE TERMINAL. OMGGGGGG. He CONFESSES TO HER. Holy crap. If it isn't the most sincere and heart-wrenching confession I've heard yet. He asks her why she thinks he did all this - travel 6 hrs to and from .. only to stay at SCP's place for a few hours .. He believes she already knows .. but he'll confirm it anyway .. it was to see her .. because he likes her. He continues saying that he's not confessing as a way to ask her to return his feelings because he knows she loves someone else :'( but that he can't start the new year with a one-sided love gone unsaid *sobbing* ... He also says .. what can I do? I just like you. SIGHSIGHSIGH MY HEART. And then he counts down 10 seconds to midnight .. before he says HAPPY NEW YEAR. And lays a kiss on her <3333333 EEEEEEEPPPPPPPP. - Najeong starts her narration of a first love and the 20s ... and an unpredictable kiss .. unpredictable love starting.- ALSO; meanwhile SCP/YJ share THEIR first kiss on a boat in the sunrise. /FAINTS. DID THE WRITERS JUST IMPLY OUR TWO ENDGAME COUPLES????? hehehehehe - 2013 scene: The gang are sitting together ... and YJ suggests they open Dad's soju .. NJ isn't sure but then Chilbongie speaks out and tells her to go ahead and they have this little eye exchange and errrrrmahgawd I'M DYING.. MY FEELZ. There was also another 2013 scene at the start where she calls out Chagiyahh and winks LOLOL and all five of the guys return with their brand of aegyo and Chilbongie the awkward derp does this RAWR hand action with a wink too.. /SLAYED. THEIR 2013 CHEMISTRY IS KILLING ME. 

Warning: spoilers for Ep 10 and MAJOR TL;DR ahead!!!
@PBJayism - Aish, it's a bit of a pain to go in there and my restraint and patience gets tested every time but omg, some people are just SO pressed it's hilarious! Again, thank you for the recaps because then I could just skip to those scenes without any problem.
This episode was definitely a game-changer. If I was a little unsure before, now I'm definitely confident that this story is heading towards a Chilbong/Na Jeong endgame. I refuse to believe that the writers are devoting this much time to develop Chilbong and Na Jeong's relationship only for Oppa to finally get his act together and swoop in.And by now we've hit the halfway mark of the show and Oppa is still as ambiguous and mysterious as ever, that I just can't get behind his character anymore even if he does returns Na Jeong's feelings. I feel like he's making things more complicated than he should be by not even giving Na Jeong a chance or providing her an explanation of what it is that's exactly holding him back. And with the possibility of him leaving, it's really unlikely he's going to make a move now. He might realize some things, but by then it'd be too late. And looking up quotes from 1997, it's just becoming even clearer to me where this story wants to go this time around:
First love is a time. Once it passes, it’s gone. Now you have to give a new love and a new time a chance. It might not be the experience or the purity of first love, but out of that scar is a love that grows and becomes a little more mature—you have to wait for an adult love. Only those who wait can dream of love. 

“If you give up on now because of laziness or a lack of courage, there is no hope of another opportunity. If you love now, the best timing is now. You have to go before it’s too late, and you have to confess now. Because you never know what’ll happen later. The next opportunity might never come.” 

Here's an interesting one from Tae Woong:

“You have to be content with a dream that’s close. If you chase after one that’s far away, your heart will hurt and your insides will burn. A futile passion only leaves heartache. That’s why life’s stupidest thing is a one-sided love. But the reason that stupid one-sided love is worth trying is… that passion can sometimes make miracles happen… sometimes go the long way around to help you fulfill a dream… and even if it doesn’t allow you to realize that dream, it allows you to linger near it and find happiness.” 

Luckily for Yoon Jae, all it took for Shi Won to act on her feelings was a a confirmation of Yoon Jae's feelings for her, even if it took him so long to finally 'fess up. Once she knew, there was no stopping her in going after him. Oppa had like, what, 3 opportunities? (Oh the symbolism, guys! The overarching baseball theme!) Why is it taking so long for him to move if they both want the same thing? Sorry bud, but 3 strikes means you're out. It kills me every time Na Jeong puts her heart on the line only to be bogged down by hesitation on Oppa's part. He might have reasons (and they better be damn good ones) to hold back but their relationship has just been tainted with too much cowardice and missed opportunities that I'll only feel happy for Na Jeong for her endurance when I should be happy for both of them. And 1994 is chock full of moments themed with urgency and "living in the now" that I just can't chalk them up to just pure coincidence anymore. 

“When you like someone, you have eyes for her in the sides and the back of your head. And that if you don’t knock, there will be no answer. Standing in place will not get you what you want. There’s no such thing as fair play anymore.” –Yoon Jae

“The easiest thing we can do for the person we love is to throw ourselves away. The strength to do things that aren’t in our nature — that’s love.” — Yoon-jae

And whenever I read people questioning the sincerity of Chilbong's feelings for Na Jeong, or how he doesn't even know Na Jeong enough to like her, I think back to what Yoon Jae said about how he first fell in love.

“Bumping into someone on the street, reaching for the same book at the library, or running under someone’s umbrella… I thought that falling in love would be special. I couldn’t imagine… that I’d fall because of something like this. Spring of 1996. My first love began that suddenly.” – Yoon Jae

Yup. Yoon Jae might have known Shi Won since they were wee little babies, but all Shi Won had to do was finally get contact lenses and he was a goner. Just like that. And then there's Joon Hee's reasoning:

“The reason I like you? Because you’re that person. Because you’re you. Is there another reason besides that one? I’d rather know the reason if there was one. Then I could find a way to not like you. If I can’t avoid it, then there’s only one thing I want: to remain by your side, unchanged, for long time. Here’s to our love, that chills our hearts.” 

(And just like that, I'm reminded of why I fell in love with this series.)

I'll come back later with more coherent thoughts about episode 10 but I just HAVE to comment on the kiss that followed the confession. Okay, I'm not one for kisses without permission but I do think it was more of a heat-in-the-moment thing than a "I like you. I kiss you. Now love me!!!!" thing. If you notice, Chilbong himself looked quite taken aback at what he just did and at least had the decency to look sheepish about it. It still doesn't excuse his behavior but all that I'm saying is that I could see that the reasoning, albeit impulsive, behind why he did it had no ill intentions whatsoever. And it was sweet and I'm glad Na Jeong was finally sober that time LOL. And it was a FREAKING New Year's Eve kiss.  Geez, our Chilbongie is quite the sap, eh? But don't get me started on the implications of that kiss being at the start of the new year and Na Jeong's narration about how their "unpredictable" (like that kiss!) love started.

Guys, the feels! They're too strong with this one!!!!

@cygnus109 What kind of beautiful and in-depth writing...I'm glad to have you on board this ship because I don't think I could ever come up with such well-thought and deeply insightful analyses. You managed to make me love the winning ball scene even more than I thought possible! I'd say more but I'll save it again for later since I've think I've obnoxiously exhausted my limit. :P

I know, I'm totally taking over this thread. (Long hurr, duncurr) but just wanted to pose a very important question to discuss:
Now that Chilbongie's feelings are out in the open, what's next? Will Chilbong back off? Will he persist even more? Will he ignore Na Jeong altogether? Will Na Jeong re-evaluate her feelings for Oppa and consider moving on with Chilbong? Or will she kindly turn down Chilbong and continue with her Oppa pining? 
tumblr_mazrps3r7n1r49x5ro1_500.gif

Guest cygnus109

I'm definitely not changing ships, but my interest got piqued at one of the comments in the other thread. That person said that Oppa's character is stuck right now and I just felt like, "Hey, that's what they said about Chilbong, too!" but I saw all the cracks and changes in Chilbong's character. So maybe someone out there could decode Oppa, too?
@candid59 Ikr! I'd like it if Najung would try to give Chilbong a chance, but I do believe it would be more like her character to actually reject Chilbong by saying she's not yet emotionally available at the moment. 
Please, writer-nim, choose the former and make it have some sense.   [-O<

Guest cygnus109

So, yeah, I'm definitely on a roll, but the more I watch, the more I just love the little things about Chilbong.
---
Chilbong and the Boarding House - The Little Things

• Appa
I love how Appa Sung's such a fan of Chilbong. Apparently, it's not only the daughter Sung who can be a fan, but also Appa, with the way he ranted off about Chilbong's stats and scolded Umma Sung for not making a big deal out of it. Appa Sung also challenges Chilbong to do his best and asks him to take care of his body more. Appa Sung has been shown to have a tendency to spoil Chilbong by giving him gloves and by allowing the group to sleep at the airconditioned living room because of him.

Guest 8001spring

cygnus109 said: Oppa's reaction
Recap: In episode 6, Oppa and Chilbong were playing catch. Oppa complained about the strength of Chilbong's throw. Appa Sung challenged Chilbong instead and caught the best throw Chilbong could make at that time. Chilbong got scolded that the throw was weak, but Appa Sung's hand was actually shaking from the impact. Appa went back inside and Oppa gave Chilbong a strange look.
Possible interpretation: It felt out of place then - the amount of time spent on that camera shot and the serious expression on Oppa's face when he's rarely serious and such a surprise does not really warrant a serious look. If Binggrae was the one who surprised Oppa with a talent, I'd think Oppa would be more smiley about it. So I pondered more about the scene. It was farfetch but I thought it could be some sort of a foreshadowing of the time Oppa underestimates Chilbong's impact in Najung's life. The last part where Chilbong was wondering what went wrong with his throw was another tidbit. There might come a time in the story where Chilbong might not be so sure about his advances. He made his best "pitch with all his power to Najung" (from Episode 00) but it might appear to him that it didn't work, but it actually did.
Bonus: If I remember it right, Chilbong called Oppa, a "non-player/ non-athlete" (Episode 6) and it would be cool if it were to mean that Oppa wasn't really a player in the CB-NJ-O triangle. Although I do think that this tidbit is more farfetched than the others.

Now that Chilbongie's feelings are out in the open, what's next?

GREAT QUESTION. And it's why I don't have any qualms with the confession+kiss. I don't mind people feeling uncomfortable over it or even thinking it's inappropriate; but it is unfortunately a well-loved kdrama trope used to up the stakes in a love triangle. I feel like the writers needed to do something MORE to really ignite this love-triangle and they did it with that kiss.One thing I've noticed about Chilbongie is that he has a one-track mind (lending to his baseball talents and ability to focus on the game when it matters) and when he loves and is passionate about something he really IS all in or nothing. It was baseball all his life and now it's also Najeong. He's also quite impulsive and I would call him a selfish man. And that's why he is such a fierce opponent to Oppa's completely "selfless" nature. It's also why we can't be sure where the story will go - because in order for Najeong to move on from her first love she does NEED a guy like Chilbongie who is self-assured and confident in how he feels. I like his assertiveness and I like that he's willing to go for broke and that he won't leave things unsaid because he knows he'll regret not taking action. THAT alone deserves an epic story and payoff. I can't tell you how frustrated I am over Oppa's cowardice and hesitation - it's cooled me off to the point where even if a really touching story of "upholding promises to his decease best friend" is the reason behind it all, I still don't think I can be 100% invested and sold on Oppa/Najeong. It needs to be mentioned also that if we were to fault Chilbongie for his stubborn and direct pursuit of Najeong - then we should say the same for her. I find it curious that for two people so different (temperament-wise, interests-wise, background, attitudes to family just to name a few) they are freakishly similar when it comes to matters of the heart. A lot of people have been saying that Chilbongie has burdened and confused Najeong with his confession and kiss, but what of Najeong's multiple confessions to Oppa even while knowing how uncomfortable and awkward it's made things between them. Like Chilbongie has said - he knows she likes another guy, he knows she may not return his feelings but what can he do? He just likes her. She too has said to Oppa he doesn't need to return his feelings, she just needs to tell him. These two are cut from the same cloth when it comes to how they let their hearts rule and it makes me invest so much more in THEM possibly making it work in the future. So much passion bubbling beneath the surface. 
I appreciate that at least someone is willing to show Najeong how amazing and desirable she is. This girl has been knocked down far too many times in the span of a few months by her crush and it makes my heart ache that her biggest insecurity is not being seen as a woman to her Oppa. 
Anyway - as for the implications of the confession and kiss. It needed to happen and it will strengthen Chilbongie's chances with her. She is now aware of his feelings and won't act so carelessly around him. They too will have their awkward tension and it DELIGHTS ME. 
I don't know whether Chilbongie will back off - a part of me thinks he will and the previews slightly imply that. Also the idea that he needed to confess because he can't hold onto a one-sided love for 2 yrs ... leads me to believe that he's made his move, the ball is now in Najeong's court. I appreciated that to be honest. That after everything was said and done and given that he does have an entitled nature (not used to being told no), he still had the decency to not demand or request anything of her. He's leaving things up to her and that the choice is hers and hers alone. Though in saying that, I don't think he'll lie down and do nothing and I'm sure will be seeing a lot more frustration and jealousy on his end. Possibly some sneaky acts to woo her LOL.  
Chilbongie's "selfish" and assertive approach to love is both his biggest strength and weakness. I admire that he'll do whatever it takes to hold onto Najeong but there will come a point in time where I believe he'll need to step back and let her sort through her feelings and confused heart on her own. I hope that we won't have to wait too long.
/EDITWatching ep 10 now ... and OMG CB/NJ in 2013 are SLAYING ME. THESE FEELZ CANNOT BE CONTAINED. The way the groom tried to grab Najeong's hand from her father .. ERMAHGAWD. THAT'S ALL CHILBONGIE. The mannerisms are so uncannily the same (see the way he tries to give Najeong the phone when he calls Sangmin). Also, when the groom and Najeong were standing together in Ep 6 - the groom does this cough and puts his fist up to his mouth and stands with one hand behind his back ... AGAIN ALL CHILBONGIE. I know the groom in the wedding scenes is a stand-in but WHY make it so obviously Chilbongie? Are they just trying to mess with us? 
Also when Yoonjin asks the groom - he must have had a hard time waiting since he's liked her for so long. FEELZFEELZFEELZ. Chilbongie would have been the one who would have waited the longest since he confessed in 1994. I can't see why Oppa/Najeong would wait long once Oppa has sorted out his feelings. I find it suss that a Seoul Twins baseball player turned up to the wedding. I know Najeong's father could have easily invited some of his players but COULD IT BE that Chilbongie became a pro baseballer and had some teammates come? Also - when he asked Najeong DIRECTLY about Kim JaeHyun (baseballer) coming to the wedding ... and she responds saying she couldn't think straight that day. Sounds like a couple who had forgotten their guests ;) And then when Najeong says that she thinks her husband is more handsome. CHILBONGIE SCOFFS. He's the only one to react ... and then she follows up immediately with her sleazy Chagi-ahh and wink. OMG. They can't just be deliberately messing with us now are they? There were plenty of obvious signs in 94 that Yoonjae was the husband ... and when you look back at all the future scenes ... there was always more indication that Yoonjae was her husband than Taewoong. 

Guest cygnus109

Chilbong and Najung - The Little Things (That Made Them Fit Like A Puzzle)

• The popularity
With Najung, Joon is not Chilbong, the national representative. He's Bong-ah, the person who stays at their boarding house. With Najung, he doesn't have to live up to expectations. He can be who he really is. And since Najung is unaffected by his popularity, it becomes so easy for her to knock him down a peg or two when the need arises.

Ahhh I've tried to hold back in putting too much stake on the clues/hints because it's not a case of looking for hidden clues but that the writers/PDs are trying to mess with us. I just can't trust anything anymore LOL
- I found it VERY suspicious that while Yoonjin chastised her husband for being too familiar and "at home" and looking through their friend's fridge; she was the one who very casually told Chilbongie to go sleep in the room. 
- They're going to have to work VERY hard to convince me that Chilbongie isn't the husband because not only did he walk off to (what I assume is) the master bedroom, he walked there with no reservation and knew exactly where to go. There were multiple doors along that corridor and I assume that an apartment housing 3 kids, Sooksook and a couple would have many bedrooms. So for him to know where to go, no questions asked, and for no one to speak up - it's too big a "hint" to ignore. 
- The coffee scene. I do think of all the boarders, Chilbongie will always be closest to his cousin and Najeong ... but again, not only did he casually and naturally take her coffee and magazine ... they discussed SookSook and how late he's been coming home. There was also just delicious banter and the conversation was far too intimate and couple-like for anyone to convince me otherwise. That same scene - Yoonjin pokes fun at the husband for wearing makeup on his lips and Chilbongie does look up and over towards them and laugh. Perhaps because he's the one they're making fun of? 
- The "go buy me beer" scene! I know Oppa looked back at the cans when she said Yeobo. But when she chastised the group and yelled out Kim Jae Joon - Chilbongie does look up and stares towards her while doing that cute irritated squinting of his eyes thing that has become more prevalent in 1994 scenes :) 
- Don't get me started on the parallels between him throwing the winning ball for Najeong to catch the very same episode she throws her husband his wallet to catch. Also people have been saying that it was Chilbongie who yelled out "nice catch" ... but it was actually Oppa. I replayed that a billion times and its definitely Oppa. Say Chilbongie was the one who caught the wallet, it makes sense for the others to comment and applaud it
- I ALSO noted that it was peculiar that she only addressed the group (and her husband) about the mail once Chilbongie sat down. She saw him come in and sit down and then proceeded to notify them about the mail. 
- On final observation; they've recently started adding more Oppa scenes in 2013 - the one where he came out of the bathroom and acted most familiar with SookSook and actual interaction with Najeong in the kitchen only for her to sigh and mull about his age and maturity alone in her room. And it seems to good to be true but WHAT IF ... Oppa is there to throw us off the scent? I know everyone believes Chilbongie is there just as a distraction .. but just what if it's the other way round.
There's been way too much foreshadowing and meta for me to truly invest and believe in anything but Chilbongie/Najeong endgame. Bias aside. 
Oooh also - what did you guys think of grandmother's talk with Chilbongie. I know it was there to remind him to confess to his first love lest he regret it ... but the way she talked of her first love being a close Oppa though she ended up marrying another man??? a slight nod to Najeong's situation?? UGHHHH this drama is driving me crazy

@PBJayism Slaaaaay. ^:)^ You're practically picking at my brain right now.
I find it funny that someone over in the drama thread commented on the CB/NJ being too simple (paraphrasing here since I can't find the exact post for reference) and would easily be solved if Na Jeong returns CB's feelings when it, in fact, applies more to Na Jeong and Oppa's situation. And I don't think I'm being biased anymore when I say that there is just sooo much beautiful buildup for the CB/NJ couple that it would be SUCH a big waste for it to go nowhere but Forever Friendzoned BFF-dom. The beauty of not knowing/having a main/second lead (although arguably, Chilbong is pretty much a main lead at this point) is in not knowing if the OTP is going to make it in the end, making the anticipation greater, the payoff all the more satisfying, and the wait soooo worth it. And that is why I find myself so invested in these two finding happiness. If it's not with each other, then great, but if these two can meet each other halfway, both in love with each other and at the same time, I'd just about cry happy tears for them. 
I just finished Episode 10 and I think I've done enough deciphering for the day but I found it extra fishy that they brought up grandma in the 2013 scene, when grandma's conversation with Chilbong played a pivotal role in spurring him into action and finally confess. I'm still trying to figure out what the point of the drunk ajusshii was. Could it be an extension of Chilbong's need to act on his feelings? I don't know, it seemed too random and I hardly think it was just another gratuitous "Chilbong takes off his shirt" scene but I just can't seem to connect its significance within the storyline. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
And yes, whyyy do they insist on baiting us with those 2013 scenes? Now I'm curious to read the script to see if that scoff was just an ad-lib by YYS or if he was deliberately directed to do that. And then Chilbong's rawr + wink (okay, that was just to make me swoon since they all responded so excuse me while I do just that). And again with the baseball clues with the appearance of that mystery #7 baseball player guest note that Chilbongie's #77). And I'm pretty sure I'm not exaggerating when I say that Chilbongie is getting a disproportionate amount of screentime compared to the other hubby candidates. Like what is up with all the lingering shots on Chilbong if not to intrigue the viewers and wonder if he's really the husband?
On a random note, I do hope we take a break from the angst because I miss crazy fangirl Na Jeong lol. I hope we see more of her in the upcoming episode, but this time, with an exasperated Chilbong in tow as payback for constantly annoying her with invitations to his baseball games bwaha.

Adding in more 2013 clues. We should just compile a master list LOL
- Na Jeong speaking with a Soeul accent on the phone with her husband (have we actually confirmed that it's her husband though?) as a throwback to Chilbong always imitating her satoori accent? 
- The couple that met through Na Jeong and Trash only thanked Na Jeong for setting them up, when Trash also played a part. A clue? Or just the writers covering their tracks?
- Chilbongie naming all the games Na Jeong played on her phone. Not to mention, before that, the cryptic smile he has on when he says "She can't fix it. She can't fix it." when Binggurrae said that Na Jeong will always be a sore loser. (That last one is probably reaching though)
- Chilbongie returns to the living room without his sweater on. It's a housewarming party, why would he be leaving his clothes in another person's room. And the master bedroom at that? 
ETA: Also guys!!! How can I forget to mention the juxtaposed scenes of Chilbongie and Oppa Trash rushing to go somewhere, with Chilbongie ending up in Samcheongpo and Oppa hanging out with his friends? Not only was this a BIG point for Chilbongie, it was also a great parallel to SCP rushing to the bus terminal to meet Yoon Jin's mom, and falls perfectly in line with the theme of "Best Timing is Now/Making Choices of a Lifetime" I'm so fixated on haha.

Guest cygnus109

candid59

said:

I just finished Episode 10 and I think I've done enough deciphering for the day but I found it extra fishy that they brought up grandma in the 2013 scene, when grandma's conversation with Chilbong played a pivotal role in spurring him into action and finally confess. I'm still trying to figure out what the point of the drunk ajusshii was. Could it be an extension of Chilbong's need to act on his feelings? I don't know, it seemed too random and I hardly think it was just another gratuitous "Chilbong takes off his shirt" scene but I just can't seem to connect its significance within the storyline. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

On a random note, I do hope we take a break from the angst because I miss crazy fangirl Na Jeong lol. I hope we see more of her in the upcoming episode, but this time, with an exasperated Chilbong in tow as payback for constantly annoying her with invitations to his baseball games bwaha.

Glad that I found this thread...so now I can go crazy about Chilbong (specifically Yoo Yeon Seok keke) without getting judge. xD (Now don't get me wrong, I love Trash and the other cast too)

I never noticed him in other movies or drama but I have watched Architecture 101.. wow totally surprising :D

PBJayism said
Oooh also - what did you guys think of grandmother's talk with Chilbongie. I know it was there to remind him to confess to his first love lest he regret it ... but the way she talked of her first love being a close Oppa though she ended up marrying another man??? a slight nod to Najeong's situation?? UGHHHH this drama is driving me crazy

Guest cygnus109

About Oppa leaving... Someone had spoilers about them before and that supposedly, Oppa would leave by episode 10 or 11 and the title of episode 11 is "How to Forget Your First Love". I'm not sure if I missed it, but I think the preview for episode 11 didn't show him leaving though?
---
I'm just reading the posts in the other thread and I found out... apparently, I've been trashed as a "diehard fan". Okay, breathe in, breathe out. Please calm me down chingus!

Archived