Yoo Yeon Seok 유연석 (Upcoming Drama 2021 : Hospital Playlist S2)

kokodus

Guest 8001spring

@futterblies I think these are from a photoshoot. Sunki is a PR director in South Korea.
EDIT: They are from the Elle Korea Share Happiness 2013 photoshoot.

Also, thanks to all you who recommended Architecture 101. On an interesting note, if you watch from 16:40 onwards, the song '

was playing in the background when Jae-wook (Yeon-seok) was talking to Seo-yeon (Suzy) Familiar? It's Trash's beeper song in Reply 1994!!! Also, the one Sam Cheon Po danced to absent-mindedly when he came to call Najung and Trash for breakfast :D
Warm welcome, @CloisScherzy!

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jongfucius

Yay more people coming to out play! Welcome, welcome, WELCOME! Our thread has been so much livelier these days :)
Anyways have any of you guys seen "Oldboy"? It was directed by Park Chan-wook and was released on November 21st, 2003, starring Choi Min-sik, Yoo Ji-tae, Kang Hye-jung, and a very young Yoo Yeon-seok. This Thursday marks the film's 10th anniversary, the film has been remastered and will be rescreened in Korea on that day. The movie received so many positive reviews that Hollywood director Spike Lee is releasing his own remake of the film as well on Thanksgiving day.
As you can see Yeon-seok is pictured at the far left: 
tumblr_mwh0zoLjn41qbz2yto2_1280.jpg

I actually took the time last night to watch the film and if you're into bloody vengeance thrillers I'd highly recommend it, the movie is rather graphic both violently and sexually so be aware (NSFW). I won't comment on much else besides the fact that YOO YEON-SEOK starred in it, as the younger version of Yoo Ji-tae's character, Woo-jin. 
tumblr_mwh0zoLjn41qbz2yto1_500.jpg

My my my, he's grown up quite well eh? This was his debut film and I believe he was 19 at the time. 
[excerpt from one of his interviews]

Q. Your debut project was film “Old Boy” and you played the child version of actor Yoo Ji-tae’s character. How did you get cast for the role?

Yoo : I went to an acting academy when I was in high school and a close friend of mine joined the costume team for “Old Boy.” She introduced me to them [production team], saying she has a friend who looks like Yoo Ji-tae, so I auditioned for the role and they gave it to me. I think I was lucky.

If you'd like to watch his scene only and skip out on the movie as a whole, you could type in "Oldboy the siblings" on Youtube. Please note that the video is NSFW and you should view it at your own discretion.

Guest ineedpie

Thanks @candid59 for the warm welcome :x

I'm so happy that javabeans and girlfriday are in Team Chilbongie too. I know it shouldn't mean anything, but I've always always admired them and am so ridiculously glad that they are Chilbongie-biased too.

Here's their latest post:

http://www.dramabeans.com/2013/11/answer-me-1994s-cast-featured-in-vogue-shoot/

It took me at least a minute to read through the posts here. Thanks to all for the insightful posts in this thread. I was way too pessimistic before, but now I am more convinced that Chilbongie may be the endgame.What worries me is Jung Woo's popularity (which he deserved, because that guy nailed mostly all of his scenes) (I think I've said this before in the main thread.) and writernim who might/ might not find the childhood-friends-becoming-lovers thing novel and wonderful so he/she's going to incorporate that again in RM1994. Also, it's not helping that the posters are always emphasizing on Oppa and Na Jung. So I still remain a bit doubtful. I think it's a coping mechanism so that I won't get crushed in case Chilbongie doesn't get Na Jung at the end, and that baseball manager girl =((

You guys resonate so well with how I feel about Chilbongie being the husband instead of Oppa, but are better at articulating your thoughts here compared to me. I'm happy that there are people who is as emotionally invested as I am in the Chilbongie-Na Jung couple. I remembered the last time I was so invested in a couple and that was in Nice Guy. But I had no questions that Maru and Eungi will end up at last, whereas here it is more bittersweet because Trash Oppa still has a hold on Na Jung, and I can see writernim going that way.

Just wanted to highlight these parts from the article posted in the main thread about why Reply 1994 is so successful.
"I don't recall how many people auditioned because there were so many. I almost threw up at the number of people," shared director Shin Won Ho during a recent press conference.
According to representatives, "The director and writer personally conducted the auditions. They're both perfectionists and it took some time before they could find the perfect actors since they were not looking for someone who is popular."
In addition, they said, "Finding talented but fresh actors was not easy. We needed someone who can speak the dialect and could understand the background of their character."
By taking a leap of faith and casting actors based on their potential rather than experience, the "Reply 1994" team proves to be consistent in producing top quality star from their dramas. At the same time, with the immense success that the drama is receiving, it is clear that their hard work and dedication had paid off.
Aww, it gives me warm fuzzies to find out that the director and writer saw through Yoo Yeon Seok's potential and gave him a chance to show off his acting chops apart from playing the antagonist/rival/villain and breathe so much life into the character of Chilbongie as if he was born to play this part. I do hope he'll be given more meaty and complex material to play with in the next episodes so he can showcase his range. It is a shame that he is still being a little overshadowed by Jung Woo's popularity but I do hope that some of the national audience can look past that and appreciate him as an actor as well. I hope that Yoo Yeon Seok can be made aware of how much love his character is getting internationally!
Also, I wish there was a way we could see the auditions or casting process. It always blows my mind when I look up a character from a show/movie I love and find out who else auditioned or was considered for that role. 
@ineedpie  aww, well it sounds like you're doing just fine at being able to express yourself. I don't consider myself to be all that smart and I loathed having to write papers and essay back in school but I have so many thoughts about this show that I just HAVE to articulate it and sometimes it's a challenge to do so coherently. Doesn't stop me from trying though as you can see :P I haven't been this invested in a couple in general since Ron and Hermione from the Harry Potter books. Drama-wise, the only couple that comes close is So Yi Joung and Kim Ga Eul from "Boys over Flowers" but here we are getting a real treat with Chilbong and Na Jeong. I'm also happily surprised with Go Ara's chemistry with YYS because that's equally as important for me to get on board this pairing. It's different for everyone of course but I just can't buy Na Jeong and Oppa as anything more but siblings, even though Jung Woo and Go Ara have been slaying with their performances.
@jongfucious Holy shiii- it just occurred to me that I've seen the trailer for the upcoming Oldboy movie and had no idea it was a Korean remake! The trailer (the remake) looked quite intriguing and made me consider watching it. I might just watch it now after all now that it is connected, in a way, to Yoo Yeon Seok. :)) Or better yet, I should watch the original!

Guest Onie Tadlas

@jongfucius He looked different in Oldboy, like a really younger version of Yoo Ji Tae. He really grew up well, hehe. Would love to see his childhood or high school graduation pictures. :D

Guest Onie Tadlas

futterblies said:
IMHO, I don't want to see any scandal from him  as of now (e.g. dating) … my heart won't be able to take it… unless its a wedding announcement. Then it's another story. >.<

As a new fan of Yoo Yeon Seok...I never thought that he would be 30 right now! He look so much younger :)

I've never watched Old Boy (and I don't think I would ever watch it anyways because thrillers are not my type of movie! too scary for me) but I searched up Yoo Ji Tae and whoa, they do look alike haha :)

finally i found this place
my hope is YYS can find happiness
CB for me is lot of charisma than any other cast cause i don't know how but slowly he show how he is kind and how he is actually slybut i like the fact that he always try to be independent and full of optimism, love when he really wins after say to NJ that he might be lose if NJ didn't come, he is changed and different ep episode, he become a better man but still not perfect the drama show he is kind because almost his scene is with na-jungwell did anybody know CB's birthday?

Guest JunnieZa

Does anyone know if YYS has serve his enlistment? I do hope he will not disappear from our screens for 2 years like Song Joong Ki (who is around the same age and is currently serving)

Archived