Yoo Yeon Seok 유연석 (Upcoming Drama 2021 : Hospital Playlist S2)

kokodus

cygnus109 said: And lol about you comparing yourself to the Il Hwa scene. Should we try to call the writer non-stop, too? It would be great if we are in different parts of the world, so that when you're sleeping, I would be the one to nag her and vice versa. Good luck with writer-nim sleeping. Lol.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jongfucius

@cygnus109 I've scoured Korean news portals but my limited Korean has defeated me and I have given up lol. Therefore I don't really have a solid answer to your question, though I'd like to believe that the whole situation with Suzy has far been done and over with... with the exception of a few bitter ahjussi's who still harbor hate for poor Yeon-seok lol jk. I find it amusing yet saddening that his previous roles have left such deep impressions like that on people. 
@candid59 you're welcome and thank you ~ I totally resonate with you about the potential switch and change in the ending due to Jung-woo's popularity. 
While I'm happy that Jung-woo and Kim Sung-kyun have immensely gained popularity I hope that the rest of the cast will as well... especially Yoo Yeon-seok because I'm so friggin' biased! The man deserves himself some lovin' too! Not that he hasn't earned any. I've noticed that Yoo Yeon-seok has starred in various projects both big and small, but still hasn't really gained recognition for them. I'm sure a vast majority of people acknowledge him, but don't remember him since most of those projects either garnered little fanfare or were overshadowed by the popularity of other actors/actresses he worked alongside. 
Yoo Yeon-seok has stated himself, that he isn't fixated on fame and popularity but rather expanding his skills as an actor, by taking on various projects in which he could refine his versatility. Ok. Whatever floats your boat dude! But that's not going to stop me from praying that you'll catch a break after this drama! ;) 
Anyways, I'm glad that he's slowly receiving more and more love from International fans <3

Guest futterblies

sukaiburu said:

When I watched him in 'A Werewolf Boy' I really hated his character. But he played it so well that I was so surprised
with his character as Chilbong! I never thought he could be that gentle and adorable! Hehehe. I also hope some Korean audience
will get over his character in Archi 101. I heard he got a lot of hate because of that. :'( 

@sukaiburu I know how you feel about the 180 degree change in character.I can't believe the once obnoxious guy is now our loveable Chilbong-ie. *applaud for the transformation* Hopefully we'll get to keep seeing him in many more movies and drama to come :D 

PS: someone please help me with this formatting of comment thing. I am really new to this and I honestly don't know what I am doing.

Guest jongfucius

Here's an excerpt of what Yeon-seok stated in their recent interview with Vogue Korea: "I want to become Na Jung's husband to go from being known as 'the nation's bad guy' to 'the nation's gentle guy'."
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ~
Aw puppy we want you to be her husband as well! I just hope that if he turns out to be the husband, the vast majority of Oppa shippers (mainly in Korea) won't attack him for "stealing" Na-jung away just as he supposedly did with Suzy's character lol. 

OMO OMO BTS of the cafe scene and confession/kiss scene in episode 10!

Yeon Seok-ie's part starts around 1:47. Omg, why so cute Yeon-Seokie? And Go Ah Ra, omg please don't make me IRL ship you two, too hahaha. Also LOL at the split-second change in expression from adorably laughing to srs bznz. at 2:16. Anyone care to translate because I would love to know what they're saying (and what the little bubble captions mean as well). Such is the limitation of being a non-Korean speaking kdrama fangirl. @jongfucious AWWW he needs to stop he's just making it even harder with that comment!

/FLAILING
HE HAS SO MUCH AEGYO. I didn't even think it was possible to love him any more than I already do. This loveable pup. Stahp it.  
LOL The hands cringing action as they're going about shooting the kiss scene :P AWWW. And he and Go Ara are so cute!! They're originally from the same hometown too LOL (iirc) 
/FAINTS YAHSSSS YEON SEOKKIE. You MAKE a stand. I know it might just be because they haven't posed the same question to the others but boy do I love that even IRL, Chilbongie's actor is more than happy to say (and hopefully go for) what he wants ;) 
On a slightly serious note - I'm amazed at the overwhelming support for Chilbongie/YYS from the international audience, at least compared to the national audience. Because while I'm sure there are Chilbongie fans in S.Korea (apparently they're quite the vocal type as well HAHAHA) the general reception is heavily skewed in Oppa's favour. And only having filmed half the drama ahead of airing still gives them plenty of creative license to do a complete 180 in the second half (which is where I think they're headed). I did toy with the idea of Najeong waiting for Oppa in that preview and Chilbongie just happens to turn up instead :P 
EDIT A lovely soompier translated an article about Chilbongie's "name" on the back of his jersey in the drama thread and all I have to say is - I'm glad the PD put that rumour to rest. Of course his name isn't Kim Sun Joon or Kim Dong Joon ... it's Kim Jae Joon >:) >:) >:) lolol 

Guest JunnieZa

sukaiburu said:When I watched him in 'A Werewolf Boy' I really hated his character. But he played it so well that I was so surprisedwith his character as Chilbong! I never thought he could be that gentle and adorable! Hehehe. I also hope some Korean audiencewill get over his character in Archi 101. I heard he got a lot of hate because of that. :'(

Go Ara's comment about there possibly being another contender is doing a number of things to my sanity though. I've been side-eying Hai Tai ever since those fakeout previews and now I am suddenly getting suspicious of how vocal he is in the 2013 scenes. But he's not tall enough though..?

Gah I hope Ara is just trolling too. This show needs to stop playing with my feelings.

^ I've been wrought with anxiety and side-eying Haitai ever since they revealed Yoonjin married SCP. I thought they were heading towards a secondary love triangle but now that that's been effectively nipped in the bud, I too fear that Haitai will enter as hubby contender #3. It makes me sad because I adore his platonic friendship with Najeong but I guess because of that - it IS possible to tease a potential romance between the two of them.

^^^Wahhh but I'm too far down the Chilbongie rabbit hole already...Which is a shame because I actually like Hai Tai and he's awesome with how caring and considerate he is with not just Na Jeong but with everyone (fussing over Binggurrae, telling Chilbongie to eat, speaking highly of SC, etc.) but dammit writers, now you're just being unfair!
Anyways, it cracks me up how many people, including me, are like "YYS was that evil jerk in Arch 101/A Werewolf Boy/Oldboy?!?!? Whaaaa???" and I too hope that he gets more positive recognition for his role as Chilbongie! You've been holding out on us boy, you knew we wouldn't be able to handle you asdjkhakhd
ETA: And LOLOL at me calling him boy when he's already 29 years old x]
ETA 2: I'm beginning to think that I'm a troll for spamming this thread with my presence. >.<
tumblr_mwhzssQ6TO1slswoko2_250.giftumblr_mwhzssQ6TO1slswoko1_250.gif
Source

cygnus109 said: Possible Symbolism and Foreshadowing
I know, I might just be deluding myself, but here are some things that might just have more meaning. I do believe that the magic eye puzzle has a meaning like @PBJayism and @candid59, but they already discussed this here and I don't really have anything to add, so I won't list it here anymore.

• The winning ball
Recap: The first time Najung went to Chilbong's game, Chilbong was at the field while Najung was at the audience stands. There was a net separating them. Wordlessly, Chilbong began to walk to the left side and Najung followed, until there wasn't a barrier between them anymore. Chilbong stopped and held out his hands, Najung copied him, understanding his silent request. He threw the winning balll at her hands and she caught it.
Possible meaning: To some, this analysis may be cheesy, but I was so on board with the symbolism I suddenly thought of when I watched, rewinded and rewatched this scene a couple of times. It's actually one of the reasons why I was so convinced Chilbong would be end game, because the allegory would be just genius, in my opinion. For me, Najung's feelings for Oppa served as a barrier between them - a barrier that didn't exactly hinder Chilbong from throwing the winning ball to Najung. He'll lead in their relationship, just like the way he inclined his head and asked her to follow him and Najung would follow, confused but definitely walking in the same direction, until there would come a time when the barrier wouldn't block their way anymore. He would throw the ball, which signified "his youth and his life itself" (from Episode 00) to her, the person "who made his heart feel more excited and more fired up than baseball" (from Episode 8), and she would accept his sincerity and dedication with a smile.
  • Oppa's reaction
Recap: In episode 6, Oppa and Chilbong were playing catch. Oppa complained about the strength of Chilbong's throw. Appa Sung challenged Chilbong instead and caught the best throw Chilbong could make at that time. Chilbong got scolded that the throw was weak, but Appa Sung's hand was actually shaking from the impact. Appa went back inside and Oppa gave Chilbong a strange look.
Possible interpretation: It felt out of place then - the amount of time spent on that camera shot and the serious expression on Oppa's face when he's rarely serious and such a surprise does not really warrant a serious look. If Binggrae was the one who surprised Oppa with a talent, I'd think Oppa would be more smiley about it. So I pondered more about the scene. It was farfetch but I thought it could be some sort of a foreshadowing of the time Oppa underestimates Chilbong's impact in Najung's life. The last part where Chilbong was wondering what went wrong with his throw was another tidbit. There might come a time in the story where Chilbong might not be so sure about his advances. He made his best "pitch with all his power to Najung" (from Episode 00) but it might appear to him that it didn't work, but it actually did.
Bonus: If I remember it right, Chilbong called Oppa, a "non-player/ non-athlete" (Episode 6) and it would be cool if it were to mean that Oppa wasn't really a player in the CB-NJ-O triangle. Although I do think that this tidbit is more farfetched than the others.
  • First time at a baseball field
Recap: Najung and Kim Gi Tae went to the baseball field to deliver the burgers Chilbong ordered for the team. Najung was amazed at the view. Possible interpretation: It would be just ironic if Najung were to actually appreciate baseball in her own way, after insisting Chilbong change his sports from baseball to basketball.The harmless comment at the dugout Recap: At the dugout, after Najung and Kim Gi Tae distributed the food to the players and Chilbong and Najung were sitting on a bench, chatting, Najung asked Chilbong if he was injured. Chilbong answered that his bandage is not for an injury, but it's called an "icing". He explained what it meant, but she just stared blankly and he stopped explaining. Chilbong asked for a cola from Mi Soo and Najung and Mi Soo got introduced. Chilbong said Najung was the daughter of Sung Il Dong, a baseball coach, and Mi Soo said, "And yet you don't know about icing?" A close-up was shown of a silent Najung.
Possible interpretation: That girl. I swear, that girl's got to play some role somehow. It's a waste of screen time if she won't and I believe in the AM production so I believe those screen time won't be wasted. Anyway, if ever Chilbong and Najung is going to end up together, they have a lot of things to know about each other. Najung not knowing enough about baseball might not mean just that. It might also mean that Najung does not really know much about his world. It would also be fair for Mi Soo to come back, in order to show how little Najung knows about his world. She's probably going to be flamed, but it would serve the story better if the relationship's not too biased and Najung would have her own insecurity in their relationship.

Hello everyone! Our Chilbongie... I mean Yoo Yeon-seok was very cute and adorable right? I haven't watch his other works, only Reply 1994. :) I really like his character there and I was so shocked when I found out that he is 29 years old.. He looks so young right? It makes me sad that we have a long gap but I still ship myself for him..haha! Thank you so much for making this thread alive. :)

Guest ineedpie

I can't believe I only went to this thread once and forgotten all about it. I'm reading everybody's posts here and I feel so much more at home here compared to the RM1994 thread, as a hopeless Chilbongie shipper. Thank you! I'm going to backtrack and read it all in one go and abuse the 'awesome' buttons!

Also, that BTS video just cements my adoration for Chilbongie more. I love him and really want him to be the endgame (and yet I'm so very pessimistic because writernim might gravitate towards the childhood-friends being the endgame again.) to the point that I know I can't really enjoy the show anymore if they're going to go the other way.

Yoo Yeon Seok is like a puppy omg. I'm internally squeeing when I watch the BTS. Like, I'm trying to keep it all in but I can't help making strange noises come out of my mouth in the process.

He just nails the cute, doesn't he? He's like a man-child in the BTS. He reminds me of Kim Nam Gil actually, in the BTS of Shark. They're both playful.

I find it quite amusing that if in the future people went to this soompi thread, they'll find mostly Chilbongie-related posts in the first few pages.

Guest JunnieZa

@candid59 I am being like you!!! This is the only thread I am active in... The rest - I lurk... :ar!
Even though I am on the CB/NJ ship, I don't mind that if NJ ends up with someone else only if the story is freaking well written. I just hope that CB has a happy ending (but the best ending is of course with NJ). But with 10 ep left and all the time skips, there is just not enough time to dive into another pairing... 

Guest cygnus109

candid59

said: Baha, this literally made me lol! But now it makes me wonder if the production is aware of how popular and well-received it is internationally and if our say matters as well! It also worries me how much they're holding back on Oppa and I think that's one of the reasons why an Oppa/Na Jeong ending bothers me. Even if it does make sense and is executed well, Chilbong had such a strong presence in the first half of the show while Oppa had so little and I'd feel emotionally manipulated if he really was just a catalyst all along (and I know I wouldn't be the only one). Speaking for myself, a Trash/Na Jeong ending would have more of an impact

had we been privy, even just once in awhile, to Oppa's inner turmoil from the start

so I could also root for him from the start, and not halfway through the show. The writer needs to prepare me for an Oppa/Na Jeong ending at least! . I don't like my emotions being jerked around and all the heartbreaking Chilbongie scenes aren't helping matters either!

:P

Anyways, I came across a new theory about the drunk ajjusshi. What if Chilbong's dad was also an alcoholic and thus, the reason why his parents divorced? There's still so much mystery about his familial relationships that I hope will be unveiled in future episodes. There are other and better plot devices to showcase Chilbong's selflessness or potentially hurt his future as a professional baseball player but this 

felt too contrived to be one of them. Those drunk ajusshi scenes seemed so out of place during that episode and knowing the writer of this show, there just HAS to be a reason why there were put in there, which will be revealed in the later episodes.

Guest 8001spring

9FkW7Po.jpg오늘 칠봉이이야기 너무 물어봐서... 사진 한장 서비스! 바쁜시간쪼개서 남성미 물씬나게 화보찍었으니~ 기대하세여!#ELLE #응답하라 1994 #칠봉이 #유연석

n5wkM6B.jpg
'응답하라1994'의 칠봉이 칠봉이 어쩔거야~울 연석이 2달만에 봤는데!살이 쪽빠지고 더 멋진남자가되버림!오늘 넘 고마웟고방가웟고 잼났당ㅎㅎ넌 그날을기억해라!! 알앗지!#응답하라1994 #칠봉이

tIQIOGB.jpg
응답하라 1994가 난리구나~~ 오늘은 특히 내주변에 울연석이 칠봉이 팬뿐! #응답하라1994
Credit: Sunki Hong

Thanks @candid59 for the videos! Ahhh so much love for this show!
Welcome @hongchae @Onie_Tadlas and @sukaiburu to the thread!
P/S: Anyone who's fluent in Korean here? Please feel free to translate the Korean captions above.

Guest Onie Tadlas

@futterblies @JunnieIt really takes a good actor to transform from a villain you really hate into an adorable gentle Chilbongie! :DI do hope that after Reply 1994 he will try on more roles that will show his versatility as an actor. Maybe a ganster (a lovable one, hehe),a casanova, or a brooding type corporate man, etc.. hehe..
@8001springThanks for the welcome! :D

Guest futterblies

@onie tadlas
I really want to see him in roles that melts the nation's heart and have him win over those who had developed an initial dislike towards him in Architecture101. But then again any role would be good (cause we get to see more of him) Hopefully he picks up a lead role soon. I just want to see him grow and improve as an actor/entertainer. 
IMHO, I don't want to see any scandal from him  as of now (e.g. dating) … my heart won't be able to take it… unless its a wedding announcement. Then it's another story. >.<

Archived