[Variety] Grandpas over Flowers 꽃보다 할배

BLUFEATHERS said: @scullaaay Grandpa Baek's temper can be a little short due to his knee pain and he really disliked walking for too long. There was a segment in one of his trip his wife packed some beef dishes for him and it was pretty heavy after he put it in his luggage. When he saw he needs to climb up a flight of stairs, in a pique, he threw his packed beef....and of course there were other small moments when we could literally 'hear' his growls.. ;)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@tilac I totally agree with you. CJW is one valuable helper. Their flow synchro nicely together. From Dubai to Greece, he was able to detach himself from the group to book a restuarant, arrange to hire a car, no need to crack his brains on cooking... becos CJW is there to share his duties. Just look at his trails of dimples.... I'll bet among the fine sands in the desert at Dubai, at night when it's all dark, rather than the stars, we would find his dimples sparkling instead! :)) :))

I'm watching ep 4 for I don't know how many times already :P (hey it's also a good way to learn Korean you know! hahahah)

Anyway, I'm highlighting the scene where Seojin, Jiwoo and Na PD gather on one table to look for their next hotel. I kinda amused and wondered before, how did it started for Seojin and Na PD? I mean after their first work collab in 2d1n, they were like an unseparable duo, and also very close outside of work. They look like they have very different personalities, but I noticed from previous trips and this trip that they have a similar weird taste of humor hahahaha

The convos started with Achilles and Hermes hotel, then to Brad Pitt in Troy, and Conan (my friend Conan, Detective Conan the anime and Conan the barbarian). It's so weird but so funny at the same time, and Jiwoo's expression was like "wth are you two talking about?" muwahahaha I can't stop laughing watching it

@BLUFEATHERS  I think the two tasks that LSJ felt so relieved to have CJW there were #1. COOKING #2 KEEP THE HALBAES ENTERTAINED cuz these 2 things are not his cup-a-tea but he's very good at everything else especially when it comes to money management. It's his family trait, I guess. 

@tilac LSJ is definitely a guy who know his monies and thank to this trait, we all get to enjoy the 'battle' betwn him and CJW over $$$! So looking forward to their next money matters! Heeheee....actually It would be interesting to see LSJ cook again... I wonder if he would in the next ep?! 

I think for NaPD experience is the best teacher. While the unpredictability of whatever happens during trips makes for good tv, sometimes the risk doesn't outweigh the potential problems they might encounter later on. This was best shown when he shocked the halbaes at the beginning of the Spain trip that they will be Seojinnie-less upon arrival. It gave a tremendous amount of stress to Soonjae halbae so much so that he was sick (but still a trooper!!!) for the rest of the trip. I was so worried for him I honestly thought this would be his last GoF trip with the group. That said, the 4 halbaes + porter/s formula works best.

id="post-headline" class="opbandit" data-opbandit-taxonomy="Syndicated" data-opbandit-author="Samantha Shankman" style="font-family: Adelle, 'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 2.25em; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 100; line-height: 1.25em; margin: 0.5em 0px; width: 370.225006103516px; display: inline; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; color: rgb(33, 31, 31); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Popular TV Show Draws South Koreans to Europe in Unseen Numbers
Seonjin Cham and Kyunghee Park, Bloomberg

Vašek Vinklát  / Flickr

For Pyeon Hyun Ja, the plunging euro, falling flight prices and a television show about backpacking grandpas all pointed in one direction: Europe.

“I finally made up my mind after watching TV shows like ‘Grandpas Over Flowers’ that I wanted to see Europe before getting too old,” said the 62-year-old housewife from Seoul, who this month went on a nine-day tour to nations including Austria, the Czech Republic and Hungary with her friends.

A boom in South Korea’s tourism to Europe has boosted the shares of Hana Tour Service Inc. and Modetour Network Inc. to records this month. Interest in the continent surged as the euro plunged 19 percent in the past year against the won and Korean airlines slashed fuel surcharges more than 80 percent. The nation fell in love with the reality show in which four actors in their 70s raced across Europe, getting lost, grumbling about foreign food and pining for lost youth.

“It’s as good as it gets for the travel industry,” said Sung Junewon, analyst at Shinhan Investment Corp. in Seoul. “TV shows are helping fuel demand for high-margin, long-haul travel.”

The number of Koreans traveling abroad using Incheon, the main international airfield, rose 16 percent from a year earlier to 6.15 million in the first three months of this year, according to data by the airport. Traveler numbers to Germany grew 17 percent and those bound for France increased 16 percent.

Hana Tour, the nation’s biggest tour operator by market value, surged 94 percent in the past six months to close at its highest ever on Monday. Modetour, the second largest, climbed 78 percent and touched a record last week. The benchmark Kospi index gained 11 percent in the same time.

Charter Flights

Korean Air Lines Co. plans to expand charter flights to Europe this summer to meet rising demand, the nation’s largest carrier said in an e-mailed reply to questions.

“Even after the positive share performance this year, there’s further room for them to rise given industry fundamentals are so strong,” Justin Kim, analyst at NH Investment & Securities Co. said by phone in Seoul on April 13.

While Korea’s rising currency is hurting earnings at the nation’s major exporters, the strength is boosting spending power for tourists overseas. The won has gained against all but four of the 31 major currencies worldwide tracked by Bloomberg over the past 12 months. Crude has plunged 46 percent in New York during the same period, reducing flight costs.

Grandpas Over Flowers is now into its fourth season, where its stars visited Greece. In previous series, the program traveled to countries including Austria, Taiwan and Spain. South Korea’s population is aging faster than any other OECD country, with the population over 65 set to triple by 2060.

The won climbed 0.4 percent to 1,079.21 a dollar and gained 0.3 percent to 1,163.26 per euro on Monday. The three-year sovereign yield was at 1.69 percent, below the central bank’s benchmark rate of 1.75 percent.

Stock Valuations

For Sung Chang Hoon, head of equities at Shinhan BNP Paribas Asset Management Co., stock gains have already priced in increasing overseas travel.

Hana Tour trades at 28.5 times projected 12-month earnings, the highest in at least five years, while Modetour is valued at 18.2 times. The Kospi has a multiple of 11.2.

“While travel demand will continue rising, I think expectations are already in the market,” Sung said in Seoul in an interview on April 14. “It’s time to take profit.”

Government action to support the nation’s biggest companies may reverse gains in the won, curbing Koreans’ interest in globetrotting. The Bank of Korea has cut its benchmark interest rates three times since August.

European Shipments

Exports fell in each of the last three months and the central bank on April 9 lowered its 2015 projections for overseas sales and economic growth, while shipments to the European Union shrank more than 20 percent in the first quarter. Hyundai Motor Co., Korea’s largest automaker, reported a 14 percent drop in net income for 2014 as it sold fewer vehicles abroad.

Declining costs and improving demand will help increase earnings at Korean travel operators, according to Kim Young Il, head of equities at Korea Investment Management Co.

Hana Tour boosted fourth-quarter net income by 51 percent to 8.9 billion won ($8.2 million) from a year earlier, according to Bloomberg data. Modetour’s revenues jumped 14 percent in the same three-month period from the previous year.

“Lower oil prices as well as the stronger won are reducing people’s burden for overseas trips, lifting demand,” Kim said by phone in Seoul on April 14. Korea Investment counts Hana Tour shares among its $32 billion worth of assets. “I don’t expect fundamentals on the shares to deteriorate in the short term.”

To contact the reporters on this story: Seonjin Cha in Seoul at scha2@bloomberg.net; Kyunghee Park in Singapore at kpark3@bloomberg.net To contact the editors responsible for this story: Michael Patterson at mpatterson10@bloomberg.net Richard Frost, Sandy Hendry.

This article was written by Seonjin Cha and Kyunghee Park from Bloomberg and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network.

http://skift.com/2015/04/20/popular-tv-show-draws-south-koreans-to-europe-in-unseen-numbers/

April 21, 2015

Grandpas Over Flowers in Greece: Episode 4
by girlfriday | Dramabeans 
greece04-00151a.jpg
javabeans: It’s morning in Athens, and one by one everybody starts getting ready. Soon-jae halbae checks that the weather report is on target, while Geun-hyung halbae enjoys a walk outside in the morning air. Ji-woo puts on her makeup while Seojinnie does his hair in the adjoining bathroom, which of course looks just like a married couple.

girlfriday: They’re already like an old couple with a morning routine!
javabeans: I burst out laughing when Seo-jin asks why Ji-woo is putting on makeup, adding, “Did you always wear makeup?” LOL. It’s that thing men do of saying they like women who are bare-faced, not knowing that the “bare face” is layers of artfully applied makeup.
Read the rest of the recap at dramabeans, of courseimage 

Archived