[Variety] Noonas Over Flowers 꽃보다 누나 *Hulu Ep 8 Updated*

class="titleNews" style="font-size: 23px; font-family: arial, dotum, Helvetica, AppleGothic, tahoma, verdana, sans-serif; margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 10px; line-height: 28px; border-bottom-width: 3px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(80, 80, 80); color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;"Lee Seung Gi and Actresses of ′Nunas Over Flowers′ Pay Respect to Kim Ja Ok at Memorial Altar

With the passing of Kim Ja Ok, her colleagues have been saying their final goodbyes. 

After ailing from lung cancer, Kim Ja Ok passed away on November 16. 

With news of her sudden passing, all those in the entertainment industry who greatly respected the actress expressed their sorrow in losing Kim Ja Ok. 

Yun Yeo Jeong, Kim Hee Ae, Lee Mi Yeon, Lee Seung Gi and Na Young Seok PD, who especially became a tightly-knit family with Kim Ja Ok on tvN′s Nunas Over Flowers, visited the memorial altar and shared the grief with the family. 

Lee Seung Gi and Actresses of ′Nunas Over Flowers′ Pay Respect to Kim Ja Ok at Memorial Altar

A friend of Kim Ja Ok told Newsen on November 18, "The family is having a very hard time, but holding on well. Their health is okay too." 

"Kim Ja Ok′s very close friend, Yun Yeo Jeong and Lee Seung Gi visited. Lee Seung Gi paid his respects on November 17." 

Through December′s broadcast of tvN′s Nunas Over Flowers, Yun Yeo Jeong and Kim Ja Ok boasted their friendship of more than 40 years, warming the hearts of viewers. During an interview in the program, Yun Yeo Jeong stated that she highly recommended Kim Ja Ok to join the trip to Croatia. 

"I′ve seen her since she was in middle school. Because I′ve seen her for a long time, I know what kind of person she is. She also knows what kind of person I am." 

Kim Ja Ok had also expressed much fondness over Lee Seung Gi, who was the youngest to participate on the program. 

"You′re like my son," said Kim Ja Ok during the program. "When I see Seung Gi, I′m reminded of my son." The program showed Kim Ja Ok playing around and joking with Lee Seung Gi, who went along with everything. 

Lee Seung Gi and Actresses of ′Nunas Over Flowers′ Pay Respect to Kim Ja Ok at Memorial Altar

Lee Mi Yeon also visited the memorial altar. Her representative stated, "Lee Mi Yeon visited Kim Ja Ok′s altar on November 17. As it is not a happy event, she was in unexplainable sadness and grief." 

In the last episode of Nunas Over Flowers, Kim Ja Ok had told Lee Mi Yeon duiring a conversation, "I wish you would be happy. I want Mi Yeon to be happy. I want you to live happily." The statements moved Lee Mi Yeon to tears. Lee Mi Yeon had confessed that she has been in several slumps in her acting career, and Kim Ja Ok had sent encouragement for her junior. 

Kim Hee Ae and Na Young Seok PD also paid their respects. Na Young Seok PD stated, "When we were filming Nunas Over Flowers she looked so well...." 

Kim Ja Ok debuted in 1970 in the second tier of MBC actors. For 40 years, she received much love as an actress from fans. Upon news of her death, many people from the entertainment industry came to pay their respects. Her funeral will be held on November 19. 

Joint Press Photo Commons, tvN MWAVE ENEWSWORLD

Rest in Peace Kim Ja Ok

‘Sisters Over Flowers’, mourn for 故 Kim Ja-Ok “We were happy a lot”

11968_1.jpg

The production crew of tvN entertainment program ‘Sisters Over Flowers’ mourned for 故 Kim Ja-Ok. In 17th through the official Facebook, the production crew of ‘Sisters Over Flowers’ said “We can’t hide pain and sorrow. We were happy to be with Ja-Ok sister. She always said about affirmation, hope, courage and happiness. We hope it comes to more people. Please rest in peace.”With the message, they uploaded the photo of ‘Sisters Over Flowers’ which left with Kim Ja-Ok. The photo has the scene Kim Ja-Ok told Lee Mi-Yeon that “I hope Mi-Yeon will be happy in life. Hope to be happy.”In ‘Sisters Over Flowers’ broadcasted early in this year, Kim Ja-Ok went trip to Croatia and Turkey with Yoon Yeo-Jeong, Kim Hee-Ae, Lee Mi-Yeon and Lee Seung-Gi. She left a deep impression to audiences with always bright face and positive mind.In 17th 7:40 am, Kim Ja-Ok passed away after a fight with lung cancer.
[Picture=’Sisters Over Flowers’ Facebook]INNOLIFE

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

class="titleNews" style="font-size: 23px; font-family: arial, dotum, Helvetica, AppleGothic, tahoma, verdana, sans-serif; margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 10px; line-height: 28px; border-bottom-width: 3px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(80, 80, 80); color: rgb(68, 68, 68); background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;"Lee Seung Gi and Actresses of ′Nunas Over Flowers′ Pay Respect to Kim Ja Ok at Memorial Altar

With the passing of Kim Ja Ok, her colleagues have been saying their final goodbyes. 

After ailing from lung cancer, Kim Ja Ok passed away on November 16. 

With news of her sudden passing, all those in the entertainment industry who greatly respected the actress expressed their sorrow in losing Kim Ja Ok. 

Yun Yeo Jeong, Kim Hee Ae, Lee Mi Yeon, Lee Seung Gi and Na Young Seok PD, who especially became a tightly-knit family with Kim Ja Ok on tvN′s Nunas Over Flowers, visited the memorial altar and shared the grief with the family. 

A friend of Kim Ja Ok told Newsen on November 18, "The family is having a very hard time, but holding on well. Their health is okay too." 

"Kim Ja Ok′s very close friend, Yun Yeo Jeong and Lee Seung Gi visited. Lee Seung Gi paid his respects on November 17." 

Through December′s broadcast of tvN′s Nunas Over Flowers, Yun Yeo Jeong and Kim Ja Ok boasted their friendship of more than 40 years, warming the hearts of viewers. During an interview in the program, Yun Yeo Jeong stated that she highly recommended Kim Ja Ok to join the trip to Croatia. 

"I′ve seen her since she was in middle school. Because I′ve seen her for a long time, I know what kind of person she is. She also knows what kind of person I am." 

Kim Ja Ok had also expressed much fondness over Lee Seung Gi, who was the youngest to participate on the program. 

"You′re like my son," said Kim Ja Ok during the program. "When I see Seung Gi, I′m reminded of my son." The program showed Kim Ja Ok playing around and joking with Lee Seung Gi, who went along with everything. 

Lee Mi Yeon also visited the memorial altar. Her representative stated, "Lee Mi Yeon visited Kim Ja Ok′s altar on November 17. As it is not a happy event, she was in unexplainable sadness and grief." 

In the last episode of Nunas Over Flowers, Kim Ja Ok had told Lee Mi Yeon duiring a conversation, "I wish you would be happy. I want Mi Yeon to be happy. I want you to live happily." The statements moved Lee Mi Yeon to tears. Lee Mi Yeon had confessed that she has been in several slumps in her acting career, and Kim Ja Ok had sent encouragement for her junior. 

Kim Hee Ae and Na Young Seok PD also paid their respects. Na Young Seok PD stated, "When we were filming Nunas Over Flowers she looked so well...." 

Kim Ja Ok debuted in 1970 in the second tier of MBC actors. For 40 years, she received much love as an actress from fans. Upon news of her death, many people from the entertainment industry came to pay their respects. Her funeral will be held on November 19. 

Joint Press Photo Commons, tvN MWAVE ENEWSWORLD

Rest in Peace Kim Ja Ok

‘Sisters Over Flowers’, mourn for 故 Kim Ja-Ok “We were happy a lot”

11968_1.jpg

The production crew of tvN entertainment program ‘Sisters Over Flowers’ mourned for 故 Kim Ja-Ok. In 17th through the official Facebook, the production crew of ‘Sisters Over Flowers’ said “We can’t hide pain and sorrow. We were happy to be with Ja-Ok sister. She always said about affirmation, hope, courage and happiness. We hope it comes to more people. Please rest in peace.”With the message, they uploaded the photo of ‘Sisters Over Flowers’ which left with Kim Ja-Ok. The photo has the scene Kim Ja-Ok told Lee Mi-Yeon that “I hope Mi-Yeon will be happy in life. Hope to be happy.”In ‘Sisters Over Flowers’ broadcasted early in this year, Kim Ja-Ok went trip to Croatia and Turkey with Yoon Yeo-Jeong, Kim Hee-Ae, Lee Mi-Yeon and Lee Seung-Gi. She left a deep impression to audiences with always bright face and positive mind.In 17th 7:40 am, Kim Ja-Ok passed away after a fight with lung cancer.
[Picture=’Sisters Over Flowers’ Facebook]INNOLIFE

• 3 weeks later...

[bnt interview] Jung Il Woo’s Next Work, ‘Noonas Over Flowers?’ ②

v0optswwqchnxaywnmtxhqczvxsb6otq.jpg
[by Star Media Team, translated by Sora Ghim] ‘Eat, Pray, Love.’ The beautiful blue ocean of Bali reminds of Julia Robert’s romantic smile. The grains of sand hugs the toes as they wiggle around, dragging the feet deeper into the ground. You stop for a moment to look at the bright waves as they crash onto the shore. 

Under the hot sun, the burnt bodies of surfers are seen as they flash white smiles and refreshing laughs. Watching them, Jung Il Woo’s body started to itch. After an unexpected situation in China and having to spend tiring days there, coming to an island with the warm sun and cold waves, this was a haven for him. Especially because Jung Il Woo is the type to enjoy leisure sports and loves trying new things. 

Jung Il Woo declares he’s going to ‘return to Bali to surf all day.’ When mentioned that the goods have to arrive from Hawaii first, he said, “I will go to Hawaii to enjoy sports,’ giving an invigorating laugh. A man who passionately runs toward something he loves. He is someone who makes the atmosphere around him energetic and amiable. 

His drama ‘The Night Watchman’s Journal’ wrapped up its last episode with the number one viewer percentage in its time slot. As the leading man of the drama, Jung Il Woo endlessly worked hard, finally taking a breath to reenergize. 

With the resolute decision, “Since choosing the path of an actor, let’s not live a regretful life, he takes another look at his work. Like the quote from George Orwell, “He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past,” Jung Il Woo coolly overlooks his past and concentrates on preparing for the future. He got less sleep during those four busy months and the exhausted Jung Il Woo grabs a hold of himself as he draws out the future. 

As the weather gets closer and 2014 comes to an end. The arrival of the New Year comes to mind. We look back on the year and anticipate what is to come as smiles creep onto our faces unknowingly. With that exact feeling, we close Jung Il Woo’s 4-month diary and look at his new story. 

★ The Night Watchman’s Jung Il Woo, Putting down the brush

u5c8p5vkdyh5x6w00es1k2borkbscxfx.jpg
▷ ‘The Night Watchman’s Journal’ ended in October. What did you do during the past two months?
▶ I went to Bali for a pictorial shoot and also did interviews. I was pretty busy. Right now I’ve spend time mostly preparing for the most important schedule, the Asia tour. 

▷ You probably didn’t even have time to get shut eye during the four months of preparing for ‘The Night Watchman’s Journal,’ did you rest well?
▶ Honestly, I wasn’t able to fully rest even after the completion of the drama. I’m sustaining right now by eating foods good for the body. I eat gongjidan and ginseng consistently and also vitamins. I’m not the type to usually eat health foods but since I’ve been busy lately, I’ve been eating it. I’m holding up mentally. 

▷ The results of your hard work are very good. The drama ended successfully. How do you feel now that it’s ended?
▶ I’m proud that it ended first among its time slot. I concentrated on filming without thinking of the end so it still hasn’t hit me even though it’s done. After wrapping up a drama I usually feel relieved but this time, the feeling of emptiness is greater. 

★ As I take a deep breath, I look at the road I’ve come on

▷ It seems like you are more attached to this work than others. To the point you even participated in the OST.
▶ The empty feeling comes from not being with the staff and co-stars who were always there. During 4 months, we were a bundle but now that it’s ended, it feels void. I heard that many women liked the OST. I think it was a song that touched the emotions of women well. Although I’m sad that the drama ended, I feel proud that I was able to show a serious acting until the end. 

▷ If you had to choose a famous scene, which scene is most memorable for you?
▶ There is a scene where the grandma gets stabbed in front of Lee Rin’s eyes and he weeps. (The ‘2-stage cry’ scene?) It is a scene that many people complimented me on. The grandma saved me and died in my place, and I cried while looking at her face, it was a really sad scene. That scene remains in my head the most. If I had to choose another scene, it would be when Lee Ri was possessed and became another person. It was a new experience to play two characters in one. 

▷ It seems you will start looking for your next project soon.
▶ I have thought about my next work and since my latest work was a period drama, I think I’ll end up doing a contemporary drama. I’ve always wanted to do a dark and heavy character. If a good work comes in, I’m going to take it up without hesitation.

eue6z2o8gqcmg78p4sipf3z1jpbg3qo8.jpg
★ Dreaming of a new challenge with seniors

▷ You rarely appear on variety shows. Is there a program you wish to appear on?
▶ The program I originally wanted to do was ‘Infinite Challenge.’ I was able to appear on the show’s Brazil World Cup special and it was really fun and a good memory. I really like soccer and so I really enjoyed going to the land of soccer and personally seeing world-wide players. After coming on ‘Infinite Challenge’ another show I want to try is the ‘-Over Flowers’ series. 

▷ The ‘-Over Flowers’ series gave a lot is inspiration on traveling to viewers. What is the reason you want to appear on this show?
▶ The only time I get to see my seniors is during a drama or another project. There aren’t many times I get to meet them outside of the set. Like the ‘-Over Flowers’ series, I want to listen to their stories and learn a lot as we travel together. Also get life advice and acting advice. I think it will last a long time in my heart. While I’m going on the trip, I would like to go with my female seniors? (laughs)

★ “As I continue to march forward~” The future Jung Il Woo will meet

▷ Jung Il Woo’s future. As time passes, what kind of home do you want to live in?
▶ I want to live in a house I built. I would like a modern style with a tidy atmosphere and full-length windows to clearly see the outside. The city is too suffocating so I would like to build it around the Hannamdong area where I can see the Han River. (laughs) When I was little, there was a time I lived in a house my parent’s built. Of course now we rent out the place and live elsewhere, but I loved that house. There are a lot of happy memories. When I’m around my mid-thirties, I want to build my own house and live there. 

▷ Instead of domestic, have you thought about abroad??
▶ I have thought about buying a house in Canada and living there. (laughs) (You were the ambassador for the Canada BC Tourism, right?) Yes. It’s quiet and nice, and the welfare is good too, and the leisure sports I love is good there too. (laughs) So I thought, ‘it would be nice to have a house in Canada.’ If someone says they’ll give me a present, I’m going to choose between a house, car, and villa. (laughs)

soi5io3xl0ovlca3is3gdhd2xmgp0ews.jpg
There is a saying that in order to live as a human, you need to have passion for something. Jung Il Woo is like that. In order to feel that he is living as an actor, he does challenge upon challenge and zealously lives to go towards his desired future. He feels alive whenever he goes into a new project, meets new coworkers, and studies new characters. 

The chilly weather that wraps around the body and the wind that brushes past your back signifies the arrival of winter. Jung Il Woo suits the spring sun which encompasses the clouds. We anticipate the next story he will bring to his fans. (photo by bntnews DB, Jung Il Woo’s Instagram)

• 4 months later...

Youn looks back on 40-year career

Seasoned actress says she appreciates her experiences ahead of release of latest film

14051637.jpg
Actress Youn Yuh-jung has a career that spans more than 40 years, but just a couple of words are enough to define her image: Charismatic and picky.

Her roles playing an arrogant version of herself in “The Actresses” (2009) and as a ruthless wife in “The Taste of Money” (2012) have only fortified the reputation she has as hard to please. 

However, in Kang Je-kyu’s “Salute D’Amour,” which opened at theaters nationwide on Thursday, the 67-year-old dropped much of her dominant image, playing a shy grandmother who enters a relationship with a man in his 70s working at her town’s market. 

In a recent interview with Ilgan Sports, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily, the seasoned actress talked about her new movie and what spending almost 40 years acting in Korea has meant to her. 
14051650.jpg
Q. Your upcoming movie “Salute D’Amour” handles various kind of emotions. Did you find the character difficult?

A. You know, I’m not in the stage where I can grumble about acting certain kinds of emotions. Even if the script asks for explosive or unhappy emotions, I just do it. It’s my mission. 

The film includes a lot of young actors. Did you give them any advice on acting?

From a point, I don’t give advice to anyone. Who am I to give advice? I’m not their teacher. Even if they’re younger and have less career experience, they are professionals too. It’s the job of a director to give them tips and advice. 

What was it like to work with a director who is younger than you?

At the moment, the only director who is older than me would probably be Im Kwon-taek [laughs]. Younger directors can feel uncomfortable around me, so before going into the shoot I always remind them to use me if I am their tool. There are no right answers when it comes to acting. We are a team that has to work things out together. If the director feels nervous and can’t control me, that’s a loss to me.

Do you still feel that acting is difficult?

The more I act and build on my career, the harder acting gets. When I was a newcomer and didn’t know anything, everything was all easy. If someone said that I gave a nice performance, I really believed it. But as you age, you realize that it’s not true at all and that’s when you come to understand how intimidating the public is. 

It feels like ever since you appeared on Na Young-seok’s popular variety show “Sisters Over Flowers,” you have a more positive public image. Do you agree?

Yes, because in the past when I was out on the streets I only heard people murmur behind my back, but now they come up to me and say they really enjoyed watching the traveling variety show. It’s the first time this has happened to me.

If Na asks you to do another show with him, will you do it?

Who can say no to Na these days? I have to join the trend [laughs]. 

How do you want to be remembered by the public?

To be frank, I don’t wish to be remembered by the public for a long time. Of course, as an actress, and therefore part of pop culture, you can never ignore what the public thinks, but they are not the ones who are always right. They can admire you today and condemn you harshly tomorrow.So I don’t want to be a popular actress, I just want to hear that I’m an actress who works really hard. 

What does being an actress mean to you?

It’s just a profession that I appreciate so much. There’s nothing extraordinary about being an actress. It’s just a peculiar job that doesn’t have a strict working time. 

I’m now 69 years old [Korean age], and most people my age have to retire. I’m just grateful that my job allows me to work until now and I also feel very lucky to realize this sense of appreciation before I die. 

BY LEE SEUNG-MI [jin.eunsoo@joongang.co.kr]

Archived