[Drama 2013/2014] King's Daughter, Soo Baek Hyang 제왕의 딸, 수백향

pangia

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 22

At the time this episode should have started there was baseball (wish this came on a sports channel only), tried checking other links and had no luck.  Therefore I am not sure if this episode was broadcasted. However, should it occur at a later time hopefully I can pick up the torrents and give you a recap.  By the way can someone please pm the torrent site, I was unable to get episode 20.  I do prefer watching it live and later download with English subs which allows me more freedom to enjoy & analyse.

Take care everyone.

@chasen8888, our drama was preempted by MBC's coverage of the baseball game.  I haven't been paying attention to the news the last couple of days because I am having trouble with my internet connection, so I didn't know that our drama will be preempted.  Our drama will return on Friday 11.01.2013.

Guest thanhdda10

Solhee is really sick now, she told Grand Marshall's wife about her story but she is putting herself as Solnan. She even told herself that the king was her father, and believed he was good enough person to be her father. Gosh I have never seen a child who is so ashamed of her own father, a father who is dying in protecting her, and yet...and making another man to be her father.  Life is a path the we have to constantly make a choice but parents is something we can not choose. 
Kucheon has to live to tell the world who Solhee really is, otherwise people won't believe Solnan if there isn't good enough proof. Solhee still doesn't know what is the meaning of her name (Su Baek Hyang) right? I have never hate a sister character as I do in this drama. Solhee is a selfish sister to Solnan, a horrible daughter to both her mom and dad...

I admit liking sports, not loving them and I do understand it being some country’s favorite past time.  But as you know from a k-addict perspective missing even one episode takes things out of whack in other words “ we don’t like it. We prefer the sport being on the sports channel so that we can enjoy our shows and no one loses out per se. 

Recapping time:-  I will use “SBH” to identify the fake name for SH or SH/“SBH”, the real one will not have any quotes or colour i.e.  SBH or SN/SBH.

Episode 22

It starts with SH saying SBH’s name aloud which arouses the curiosity of the king, councilors and royal entourage.  The king orders that SH comes to see him which sparks talks among the councillors as to why the king asked for her.  JM remembering her face orders his guard to spy for him.  SH is with the king relaying her name  as “SBH” as well as a bit of her past.  MN and GM are curious as to SH’s identity, MN comments about the meaning of SBH.  SH gives the king Chae Hwa’s hairpin and he remembers when he gave it to her.  The king asks about Chae Hwa, SH tells him of her death and he collapses, he orders GM to come in.  He believes that SH is now his daughter as well as the other parties.  During this time JM’s guard informs him of SH “SBH” ‘s identity, he is angry and is plotting her demise (since this over 100 episodes, I doubt it will come soon).  SH/”SBH” is sent to a room to wait.  MN is glad for the king and the idea of having a sister.  The queen later comes in upon hearing that the king has collapsed and is of the assumption that SH/”SBH” is to be the new woman for the king.  It was a somewhat funny scene and shows the immaturity of the queen as well as the fact that she could be possible future prey for SH/”SBH” .  The GM later explains to her the true identity of the person being that she’s the king’s daughter.  The king later awakes & calls SBH.  SN/SBH is at the hapless robbers’ hideout trying to encourage them to leave the place to look for SH, she convinces with the word “money”.  SN returns to the restaurant that she was working at with the men, one of them looks smitten at the owner.   The preview shows the king’s anger at Chae Hwa’s death promising to punish those responsible and the hunt.

As for my thoughts for the week episodes, admit being behind in watching the subbed episodes, but I should be able to let you know them before the week ends. As earlier requested could someone please pm the torrentz link for episode 20. I have my regular site that I use but that episode is missing.

Take care everyone and have a good weekend.

Guest canhnhuoctran

thanhdda10 said: Solhee is really sick now, she told Grand Marshall's wife about her story but she is putting herself as Solnan. She even told herself that the king was her father, and believed he was good enough person to be her father. Gosh I have never seen a child who is so ashamed of her own father, a father who is dying in protecting her, and yet...and making another man to be her father.  Life is a path the we have to constantly make a choice but parents is something we can not choose. 
Kucheon has to live to tell the world who Solhee really is, otherwise people won't believe Solnan if there isn't good enough proof. Solhee still doesn't know what is the meaning of her name (Su Baek Hyang) right? I have never hate a sister character as I do in this drama. Solhee is a selfish sister to Solnan, a horrible daughter to both her mom and dad…

canhnhuoctran said: thanhdda10 said: Solhee is really sick now, she told Grand Marshall's wife about her story but she is putting herself as Solnan. She even told herself that the king was her father, and believed he was good enough person to be her father. Gosh I have never seen a child who is so ashamed of her own father, a father who is dying in protecting her, and yet...and making another man to be her father.  Life is a path the we have to constantly make a choice but parents is something we can not choose. 
Kucheon has to live to tell the world who Solhee really is, otherwise people won't believe Solnan if there isn't good enough proof. Solhee still doesn't know what is the meaning of her name (Su Baek Hyang) right? I have never hate a sister character as I do in this drama. Solhee is a selfish sister to Solnan, a horrible daughter to both her mom and dad…

Guest thanhdda10

I think mark on Solhnan's shoulder is not a tattoo but a birth mark. Yeah I also think this birth mark has something to do with the royal. Does that mean Myungnong and Jinmu also has these too

Because of more than 100 episodes  so there will be a lot of boring scenes ...I'm very sorry to say

I only like  SH & SN 's acting ... we can see  the King + even Crown Prince  acting too slow talking ... boring ..

all of them ....acting the  same thing with all historical dramas before ...

Some of Korean writers they must write for 50-100 hours acting so ... some day they have no idea to write then they make someone  eating, drinking ,pooping, peeing, farting .on the show . etc.....enough for 100 episodes so ... we have to watch them ....so boring ...

I 've found a very good drama Empress Ki .... very fast moving ...interesting

Guest Rinachan

thanhdda10 said: I think mark on Solhnan's shoulder is not a tattoo but a birth mark. Yeah I also think this birth mark has something to do with the royal. Does that mean Myungnong and Jinmu also has these too

Hello fellow watchers,

As promised these are my thoughts for the week’s episodes, it’s long.  Got to admit doing a marathon watch from episode 14 to 21, a bit of research on the cuckoo bird (characteristics – social/brood parasite, small thing is very vicious from birth), characteristics of the first born and finally poisonous flowers. Reason – all these define SH and SN true natures.  I even went back to the 1st episode for the 5 minutes introduction to understand the significance of mom’s last words to SN in episode 18 & 19 and how it was used as a weapon against her by SH. SH called SN her owner (what extreme arrogance, but in a way true). However, there are cases where the owner must be eliminated by the servant in order for peace and happiness to reign this is applicable to SN which I hope happens (won’t be soon though).

When I think about it I somewhat blame the parents for this in the way they raised both girls – SN is the responsible one to always look after SH the flower.  Yes they loved their daughters, but SN is the 1st child & must look out for the younger (advantage is abused here by SH). However, this is the case where the flower being raised is actually poisonous which appears to be the image used in the closing aspect of the show.  I am not saying that as an excuse for her evil behavior but it was somewhat manifested with the “entitlement behavior” that no matter what happens it is SN’s responsibility to take care of her like a “flower” because in the family that is what she is “a lovely flower”.  SH chose not be a “lovely flower but a poisonous one” a sycophant.

For a very long time SH has always hated her life, her father (who in our eyes, Chae Hwa's, others & SN's eyes is an amazing person), life of so called poverty etc (not poor but not rich either, just getting by), she is also jealous & in some way hated her sister’s relationship with mom.  What is very sad is that though the symptoms were there & seen, it was not nipped in the bud from early more likely ignored believing she'll grow out of it.  Hence it grew itself into something worse as time goes by.  SH will stop at nothing to get what she want and as far as she is concerned it is SN’s job to protect her no matter what as she is her owner.  Not once did I see a scene where the parents told SH that although she is younger to also look out for SN as well.  SN does it because it’s how she was raised. Why because SH is the flower and weak (it appears they do have a bit of strength though). That’s why I made those earlier statements on both girls.

The only proof of SN’s identity is the birthmark which cannot be seen easily (remember that time factor – modesty, it’s not so easy to compare it with the king very few may know about it) & dad Kuchon.  Does SN want to be a princess – she does not care, just wants to be happy and live the life before tragedy struck the family.  Is it possible – not for a good while.  These upcoming episodes will show her growth but at the same time I wish for goodness (kdrama’s very nasty habit of not truly punishing all types of evildoers excluding cop out suicide or rewarding evil) sake that SH etal gets some real punishment & failures due to SN.

What SH has done is made herself into “SBH” and poor daddy due to his guilt will do anything for her, MN wants a sister.  As far as she is concerned the king is her father never mind that the one who literally died to save her evil, ungrateful, wutless a-- etc etc.  He does not exist once she found out SN true identity and father. So our flower will become more poisonous in the future.  Also though Kuchon has survived, his reappearance will not be soon and I would not put it past her that should he come to reveal the truth, he’s a threat and must be eliminated.  That's SH for you.

As of now, one of the GM’s biggest mistake is making his daughter queen – as she is such a ”child” with her antics, no wonder the king will never be into her.  He is old enough to be her father, its a real mature woman that he is likely to go for, she is so young & immature.  The image of them “together” is so very wrong. As stated before in that current mental state she can become prey for “SH/SBH” in the future because with that personality, there is no way she can fight her.

JM, I find him evil yet funny, his immaturity, discussions and thought process is a bit interesting because he wants the approval of the king but at the same time his death due to the aide’s influence.  Surprisingly, I sort of like JM.

What I found interesting though from watching the subs is how much an addict I am with the fact that MBC subs though give better understanding of the story are not so great because of watching so many kdramas & reading the subs you are a translator yourself hence able to understand the nuances, read the story better & enjoy it.

Other - @spring123 - we are talking MBC here with their history of messed up dramas both historical sagueks and current especially of their lead characters of late, I'm literally afraid of them because of it, actually taking a huge risk here with this show, hopefully the story is told smart enough to keep all our interests for the long haul & me recapping.  This is the 1st time I'm doing something of this size.

We all must hold on to a string of hope that this story is told intelligently, fun and interestingly especially with their leads.  The string becoming stronger as each episode is shown. There is no doubt in our minds as to SN character but it is up to the PDs etc to put those wishes into reality.

Thanks again for sending the link, its appreciated.  Take care everyone until next time.

Guest canhnhuoctran

thanhdda10 said: I think mark on Solhnan's shoulder is not a tattoo but a birth mark. Yeah I also think this birth mark has something to do with the royal. Does that mean Myungnong and Jinmu also has these too

My link was acting iffy but got most of it all the same.

Episode 23 Recap

SN convinces the 2 hapless robbers to go with her to deal with bandits with promise of money, they go with her to the restaurant where she told the owner what happened.  It appears that the owner & the taller robber are attracted to each other.  SN went to her room and took something out (money).  She left the restaurant with the robbers.  In Baekjae the councilors are discussing the arrival of SH/”SBH”.  The GM meets SH/”SBH”, talks to her and asks about SN her response was that she was dead.  The king meets MN and asks him to find the killers of Chae Hwa to avenge her death.  MN leaves with his bodyguard and 2 additional guards assigned to him by the GM to Gaya.  On their way, the guards ask the bodyguard about things that he was carrying with him on his horse to which his response was that it was for MN.  From this you get that MN has a very picky somewhat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) personality which was a bit funny.  SN talks to the robbers that night about her family and they relayed some information about themselves as well.  MN tells the bodyguard and others that he does not think that Chae Hwa’s death is as simple as it appears (not just bandits) and that there is more to it.  The next morning, the hapless robbers stole the money from SN, she had tricked them with rocks and a little money in the bags.  They return to her upset and left her on her own, insulting her with a gas departure.  MN and the guards heard a sound, MN get the guards to leave him to check.  He heard another sound, saw the rabbit was a bit relieved and then fell over a hill.   He shouts out for help to which SN ran to the sound, it ends with the second meeting of SN & MN which is going to be funny as they recognized each other from the first visit.

Until the next episode and take care.

Archived