[Drama 2013/2014] King's Daughter, Soo Baek Hyang 제왕의 딸, 수백향

pangia

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thanhdda10

It's really ironic that Solhi has always feels ashamed to have a mute father like Kucheon, but her father is risking his life to protect her until the end. I hope he won't die, because he is the only one left to tell the world that Solnan is the real princess while his daughter Solhi is impersonating....By the way he looks at her, I think he knows his own daughter pretty well.
Solhi might be ruined by the hands of her own father,  who knows....covet things that are not yours, should have a bad ending right?  I pity her. And I hope they do not take a whole 100+ episodes to get this unraveled.

The only historical fact we know is that she was supposedly the daughter or relative of Emperor Muryeong of Baekje and married her uncle who became Emperor Keitai of Yamato court of Japan. Keitai is believed to be the younger brother of Muryeong and descendent of Munju imperial line of Baekje. While her name isn't mentioned from Korean records, it's recorded in Nihon Shoki as powerful ruler who helped Keitai to restore power in Yamato Japan and claimed the imperial throne. According to Nihon Shoki, she came to Yamato with their 20,000 troops and overthrow Muyeol and restored Keitai as new emperor of Yamato.

Guest thanhdda10

watsupzzul said: The only historical fact we know is that she was supposedly the daughter or relative of Emperor Muryeong of Baekje and married her uncle who became Emperor Keitai of Yamato court of Japan. Keitai is believed to be the younger brother of Muryeong and descendent of Munju imperial line of Baekje. While her name isn't mentioned from Korean records, it's recorded in Nihon Shoki as powerful ruler who helped Keitai to restore power in Yamato Japan and claimed the imperial throne. According to Nihon Shoki, she came to Yamato with their 20,000 troops and overthrow Muyeol and restored Keitai as new emperor of Yamato.

Just had a catch up, just finished episode 17 with subs, up to now my favourite character is Gucheon, what a great father & husband he is, i believe he is still alive, because it looks like Chae-Hwa will probably die in the next episode, so besides her & Solhi (who isn't going to tell the truth) there will only be Gucheon left who knows the whole truth about the sisters true birth right. Maybe it's because Gucheon is my favourite character that i found episodes 16 & 17 a little hard to stomach, i know King Muryeong was Chae - Hwa's first love and the story needed to be moved along, but it almost felt like oh no Gucheon is dead but never mind he wasn't your real father anyway, the whole "it made me cry, seeing how sweet you were" it just made me feel like she felt nothing for Gucheon at all. If Gucheon is alive i can't wait to see what he is like, because i have a feeling he won't be the same man we have seen up to now

Hello fellow watchers;

The timeline for SN to discover her true identity will take a while mainly because it’s a 100+ episode drama.  The reasons are that (i) she has no clue (ii) Kuchon’s return which is bound to take a while as his injuries were very serious.  Plus there are other stories to tell in the interim, such as her revenge and foray into the spy world, more meetings with the people of Baekjae etc.  In a way I am sort of glad for that because it will allow her to have a relationship with MN in the future as once SH enters the palace he is likely to look at her as a sister and not a woman per se which can create future problems should SH wants him & the throne (ambition). As for Kuchon and Chae Hwa's relationship it has come a long way, the king was her first love, though she went to see him that night she changed her mind not only because  he was her past  but in her present life she loves Kuchon in her own way and he is her present.  In a way her visit to the king was a form of closure for her.

The key is as follows: Soo Baek Hyang (SBH), Crown Prince (MN), Seolnan (SN), Seolhi (SH), Grand Marshal (GM), Jinmu (JM). So lets’ get on with the recap.  

Episode 19

SN promises vengeance on those who destroyed her family and SH watches her.  Some time has passed and the girls are working at the restaurant - SN as a waitress and SH as a dishwasher.  SN is getting information about what is happening (life and politics in general with Baekjae, Shilla & Koguryo) by listening to the conversations of the customers.  SH is somewhat depressed as to their present life and wants to leave, SN tries to cheer her up.  SH later asks SN what was their mother’s last words to her as she wanted to find out if SN knew.  SN said it was something comforting but did not elaborate it was SBH & the meaning behind it. During this time MN is using his spies to find the princess; a spy saw SN and asked the owner as to her identity the lady called SN her daughter.  The spies meet MN’s guard & state that they had no luck in finding the girl.  MN is determined to find the princess for the king. The king shows the GM things he had prepared for his daughter.  The GM meets MN who discusses their search, the GM advises MN about the upcoming archery contest saying he should let JM win which he does.  JM receives praises from the king about his skill and JM is a good mood talks to his aide about something.  SN hears some interesting news and decides to leave the restaurant, she told SH as to why she was working there in the first place and gave SH something of their mother’s.  SH finds out that it was the hair pin which was what she needed to get into the palace.  SH decides to accompany her sister with plans to abandon her later.  From the preview it appears that SH is going to fake her death to go to Baekjae.

Take care everyone, until then.

Guest thanhdda10

@chasen8888
Thanks for the recap of ep 19, will you be able to recap like that from now on as the episodes aired? As for us international fans, we don't get to watch it until the English sub comes out, I love your recap.

Hello fellow watchers,

Thanks for the encouragement regarding recaps.  I plan to continue as long as my links works fine and the show holds my interest.  Keep in mind, that my recaps are from basic understanding of the show; I do not speak Korean but having been a k-addict for over 5 years one can get the gist of the story. Today not much happened & my link was out for 5 minutes, so I had to change link mid watch. By the way I am from the Caribbean, so I'm international as they come.  However, no matter when you look at it , at soompi we are one nation with a love for k-dramas.

Episode 20

SN and SH leave the restaurant to go to Baekjae, with SH thoughts as to her plans not to live like this anymore.  In Baekjae, MN receives news as to the possible princess and his people are bringing her in.  The king is holding court with the councilors regarding a situation with Koguryo, they are giving him advice in which the GM is against.  The king supports the councilors decision, later MN visits the king and questions why was that decision made, the king gave his reasons, they talked a bit more.  Meanwhile SN and SH are in the forest, SN says some things, SH thoughts are that her mother preferred SN because of her father being the king and has some negative thoughts about her own father (ungrateful, wutless chit).  SN decides to get something and SH disappears, when SN returns she does not see her sister. SH decides to fake her death by wounding herself and putting that cloth to give the impression that she is either hurt/dead.  While SN was frantically looking for SH, she fell down a hill and is unconscious.  SH heard her and still went on to Baekjae.  SH reaches Baekjae and faints.  She is aided by a kind lady who took her in and helped her, ironically she so happens to be the GM’s wife.  While recovering SH got some information in contacting the king (think it had to hitting a drum).  SH thanks the wife at the same time the GM arrived at home, she leaves to go to hit the drum.  During this time MN’s guard return with the girl, who he questions as to her identity.

SH hits the drum which arouses the attention of the king, JM, MN and SN awakes from her fall.  The preview shows the challenges that SH has in trying to reach the king and SN in a revenge mode.

Take care everyone.

chasen8888 said:

Hello fellow watchers;

The timeline for SN to discover her true identity will take a while mainly because it’s a 100+ episode drama.  The reasons are that (i) she has no clue (ii) Kuchon’s return which is bound to take a while as his injuries were very serious.  Plus there are other stories to tell in the interim, such as her revenge and foray into the spy world, more meetings with the people of Baekjae etc.  In a way I am sort of glad for that because it will allow her to have a relationship with MN in the future as once SH enters the palace he is likely to look at her as a sister and not a woman per se which can create future problems should SH wants him & the throne (ambition). As for Kuchon and Chae Hwa's relationship it has come a long way, the king was her first love, though she went to see him that night she changed her mind not only because  he was her past  but in her present life she loves Kuchon in her own way and he is her present.  In a way her visit to the king was a form of closure for her.

The key is as follows: Soo Baek Hyang (SBH), Crown Prince (MN), Seolnan (SN), Seolhi (SH), Grand Marshal (GM), Jinmu (JM). So lets’ get on with the recap.  

Episode 19

SN promises vengeance on those who destroyed her family and SH watches her.  Some time has passed and the girls are working at the restaurant - SN as a waitress and SH as a dishwasher.  SN is getting information about what is happening (life and politics in general with Baekjae, Shilla & Koguryo) by listening to the conversations of the customers.  SH is somewhat depressed as to their present life and wants to leave, SN tries to cheer her up.  SH later asks SN what was their mother’s last words to her as she wanted to find out if SN knew.  SN said it was something comforting but did not elaborate it was SBH & the meaning behind it. During this time MN is using his spies to find the princess; a spy saw SN and asked the owner as to her identity the lady called SN her daughter.  The spies meet MN’s guard & state that they had no luck in finding the girl.  MN is determined to find the princess for the king. The king shows the GM things he had prepared for his daughter.  The GM meets MN who discusses their search, the GM advises MN about the upcoming archery contest saying he should let JM win which he does.  JM receives praises from the king about his skill and JM is a good mood talks to his aide about something.  SN hears some interesting news and decides to leave the restaurant, she told SH as to why she was working there in the first place and gave SH something of their mother’s.  SH finds out that it was the hair pin which was what she needed to get into the palace.  SH decides to accompany her sister with plans to abandon her later.  From the preview it appears that SH is going to fake her death to go to Baekjae.

Take care everyone, until then.

I watched it, got the gist but could not understand most of what was said in today’s episode.  However, the focus today was on SH and not SN.  I’ll give my thoughts at the end of the week.  Do appreciate receiving fast subs as its just 1 episode behind. Recap time.

Episode 21

SH beats the drum drawing the attention of the king, JM, MN and SN awakes from her fall.  A guard asks SH if she was the one who hit the drum and she said yes, she follows him.  SH was directed to an office where a government worker asks her to wait while writing the complaints (which are many), since she’s pretty he gave her priority in writing her complaint and getting it sent to the king.  The king’s aide brought the written complaints/concerns of the people to read and decide.  SH waits outside the palace compound at night, the worker tried to encourage her to go with him, she rejected his offer.  SH went by the GM’s house and was welcomed by the wife.  SH said things to the wife about her past (using SN memories) the wife later said something to her maid about SH character. The next day the king is meeting with MN for breakfast and discussing country’s matters.  He encouraged MN to read the complaints/concerns of the people, SH’s among them.  The king, MN, JM and the councilors are meeting the public  in an open area to discuss their issues and resolve them.  JM seems to take pleasure in this type of meeting finding it funny, SH is part of the crowd.  An issue is brought to the king with the parties present – the king in resolving this matter showed his wisdom bringing the awe of the people and the admiration of SH who calls him her father mentally.  The king was about to leave when SH pushes herself forward calling the king and her sister’s name SBH which made him pause.  During this time SN is slightly awake and is helped by Kuchon’s 2 hapless robbers  (we met them twice - Kuchon & later both girls at night).  They took her in, fed her and relayed some news.  Upon hearing the news SN reveals the destruction of her family to the hapless robbers and plans for revenge.

The preview shows SH’s meeting with king and she tells him about Chae Hwa’s death causing him to collapse. 

Archived