[Mainland Chinese Drama 2014] Bu Bu Jing Qing 步步惊情

sugarplum892

I know that there has been some confusion over the versions of the drama that is available on the various streaming sites. According to Wikipedia,the full version should be 39 episodes long. The cut versions have had about 100 hours of content cut from them to remove all of the elements of time-travel, due to the governmental ban on time-travel dramas. This issue is quite controversial among fans and viewers (understandably so), and there are several forum posts/blog posts etc that try to figure out which version is which.

The consensus seems to be that:

1. NONE of the online streaming versions are complete and uncut. This is including all of the ones that say 'uncut', 'unedited', 'full', etc etc.

2. Sohu (搜狐) appears to be the only site with the complete version. The complete version apparently opens with the Qing Dynasty and Nicky Wu's character, not with Cecilia Liu's character in modern-day. HOWEVER, Sohu only has the first 4 episodes available for streaming. They have stopped updating the uncut version due to policy. The videos are restricted to Mainland IP addresses, but there are YouTube users who have been able to transfer the videos.
This version appears to be Mandarin-dubbed. Some viewers who have been comparing versions think that even this version may not be fully complete.

3. TVB's paid channel 煲劇2台 is currently airing a non-Mandarin-dubbed (the Mandarin speakers can be heard in their own voices and their own accents) version in Hong Kong. This appears to be the truly complete, uncut version. TVB can do this because Hong Kong is not under the time-travel ban.
The only thing is, because it is the paid channel, it has been very difficult to find streams of this version online. There are copies of it on Youtube, but how long they stay there remains to be seen, and they are also under various copyright restrictions.

4. CTV in Taiwan also has the license to air BBJQ. As Taiwan is also not under the time-travel ban, it is expected that this will be the complete, uncut version as well, perhaps with altered theme songs.

This is a big sore point with the fanbase/viewer-base, and even Sun Yi-zhou had a few words to say on his Weibo. A lot of the negative noise around this drama comes from the confusion that is caused from having the scenes removed (plot doesn't make sense, scenes don't make sense, things are choppy, etc), obviously because removing the time-travel-related scenes noticeably changes the plot and the interpretation of the character motives etc, etc, etc. From what I've read from people who have been able to catch the unedited versions, is has the potential to live up to the name of BBJX's sister-production. It's just a shame that this is happening to it.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone tell me who is that girl that clings on Kang Si Han?  
Spoiler! Do not read if you don't want to know yet... I was told that Lan Lan and Zheng Xiao might be twins...and somehow Lan Lan has to sleep with Kang Si Han? I don't know how it will play out but this is what my friend told me..

Guest QinYiY

thunderman1 said:

Can someone tell me who is that girl that clings on Kang Si Han?  
Spoiler! Do not read if you don't want to know yet... I was told that Lan Lan and Zheng Xiao might be twins...and somehow Lan Lan has to sleep with Kang Si Han? I don't know how it will play out but this is what my friend told me..

Not sure where the drama is heading. Looks like a repeat of BBJX :-( Hopefully the director will spice things up quickly ~ 
Episode 3 Recap: http://picadrama.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/bu-bu-jing-qing-episode-3-recap/
Episode 4 Recap: http://picadrama.wordpress.com/2014/05/14/bu-bu-jing-qing-%E6%AD%A5%E6%AD%A5%E6%83%8A%E6%83%85-episode-4/

picadrama said: Not sure where the drama is heading. Looks like a repeat of BBJX :-( Hopefully the director will spice things up quickly ~ 
Episode 3 Recap: http://picadrama.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/bu-bu-jing-qing-episode-3-recap/
Episode 4 Recap: http://picadrama.wordpress.com/2014/05/14/bu-bu-jing-qing-%E6%AD%A5%E6%AD%A5%E6%83%8A%E6%83%85-episode-4/

Guest nana544

I try watching this, but I don't really like it.

I really like the period one. This one doesn't catch my attention.

Guest QinYiY

@nana544 
I also agree that the period BBJX was much better. In my view, BBJQ tries to mirror most of the things in BBJX, even the plot too, which makes it less attractive. Viewers are only concern if it will be a HE since BBJX wasn't 

^ Well at least we got our HE ^_____^  I, too, prefer the period drama version. The part where they were filming the period drama in BBJQ, I felt they could really have invested in another Qing palace drama. I would watch that!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally waded through this drama. And what I can say is that, it was okay (in the early parts) and then pretty bad in the latter stages. So what overall rating is that? Mediocre? From my DP, you can see that I am a big fan of the original, and one of those who were eagerly anticipating the sequel. To say the sequel was a letdown, would be an understatement.

On one hand, if they had just called this a modern drama and not attached it to the BBJX train, would people have been more accepting? But expectations were so high, and the drama didn’t even come close to meeting any of it. I understand that some of the dialogue had to be redone, in order to meet the no time-travel stories ban. But even just from the acting and the direction the story was going in, before the re-dub, one could see the impending train wreck.

My goodness Lui Shi Shi must have needed eye rest after this drama. She cried in pretty much every scene, she cried when she was happy, sad, worried, every single emotion. It got really tedious and one started to wait for when she would cry in a scene. The drama had a high budget, a good looking cast and an excited audience. But the final product was hum drum.

They did not capitalize on their strong suit, which was the chemistry between LSS and Nicky Wu. What was the twin story even about and then the nonsensical return from the dead, and then the ridiculous multi ending, like they couldn’t figure out how to end the drama. Overall, no Bueno.

Archived