Kim Go Eun ♥ 김고은 ♥ 金高銀 ♥ คิมโกอึน ♥ キムゴウン - Upcoming Drama 2024: Eun Jung and Sang Yeon

Lids

Kim Go-eun-I looks shy in curve-hugging dress

photo587886.jpg

In the afternoon on April 27th, the VIP preview event for movie, Kim Hye-soo and Kim Go-eun-I's "Coin Locker Girl" took place at Yeongdeongpo Time Square CGV, Yeongdeongpo-gu, Seoul.

Kim Go-eun-I showed off her slender body in the tight curve-hugging black dress.

Move, "Coin Locker Girl" depicts the surviving rules by the two women, who have been living in their own ways in China Town, where they say only useful ones survive. The movie will be released on April 29.

photo587887.jpg

photo587888.jpg

photo587889.jpg

photo587890.jpg

photo587891.jpg

photo587892.jpg

Source: Hancinema

• Like 4

April 28, 2015
Life in its harshest form in ‘Coin Locker Girl’
restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20150428
Kim Hye-soo and Kim Go-eun star in “Coin Locker Girl” (CGV Arthouse)
Darkness and isolation are the two constants in “Coin Locker Girl,” the feature-length debut from director Han Jun-hee. It is a crime drama -- violent, unpredictable and thrilling, but even amidst its unexpected twists and turns the film never strays from its central message: life is a hard, solitary endeavor.
That theme is counterintuitive to the fact that the central characters in the film call each other a “family” despite having no biological relation. In fact, it isn’t clear at first what the relationship between these characters is, or what they do together.
“Since this is a noir crime movie, I thought that the audience would develop prejudices about the characters if I showed what they do for a living from the beginning,” said director Han, speaking at a press preview at CGV Wangsimni on April 20. “I wanted the audience to see them first as a family. A strange family.”
Heading the family -- which is later revealed to be a vicious crime ring specializing in loans and organ trafficking -- is Mother (Kim Hye-soo), a cold, calculating woman who rules the dark underworld of Chinatown in Incheon. She has two “sons” and two “daughters,” her henchmen who scatter across the city to collect loan payments and to beat and torture defaulters. 
restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20150428Kim Hye-soo stars as Mother in “Coin Locker Girl” (CGV Arthouse)

There is no camaraderie in this family, no current of loyalty that underlies the blood-stained transactions. Mother tells her children repeatedly and outright, “When you become useless, I’ll kill you.” 
Of the children, the film focuses on Il-young (Kim Go-eun), a girl whose name means “1-0” -- named for the number of the coin locker she was abandoned in as a baby. After she is sold to Mother as a child, she methodically carries out Mother’s horrific commands to stay alive. She never questions her place -- until she meets Suk-hyun (Park Bo-gum), the son of a debtor who shows her kindness and a life other than the one she’s known. 
However, through a series of events Il-young is taught once again that she can lean on no one, that she can only trust herself in this dog-eat-dog world. In essence, she comes to understand Mother’s state of mind, and the audience realizes that Il-young is becoming the woman she hates so much. 
Throughout the film, the audience is teased with plot developments that never quite pan out the way they’re expected. There is no big moral or turning point, when darkness turns to light, or Mother finds her humanity. Chinatown always remains Chinatown, full of despair. The stark picture of the futility of hope is emotionally tolling, but captivating all the same.
restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20150428Kim Go-eun stars as Il-young in “Coin Locker Girl” (CGV Arthouse)

“Life is always hard, with just a few good moments to keep us going through the hard times,” said Han. “I chose this particular town, with its unique colors, because I felt it reflected that sentiment best.”
Han’s choice to have the events of the movie unfold in two leading female characters -- an unusual decision for a crime drama -- was also a conscious one, designed to amplify the mercilessness of life. 
“I think that women are stronger than men. They don’t make excuses for themselves, and they don’t have regrets,” he said. This strength, embodied in Mother and Il-young, are a welcome departure from the typical role female characters have played in past crime dramas. They are not dependent on the men around them; in fact, they do not and cannot depend on anyone, and rely solely on themselves for survival.
“Coin Locker Girl” is a fast-paced movie dotted with violence, yet it feels heavy and methodical because the audience realizes intuitively that it will be consistently dark and despairing until the end. This impressive debut from Han Jun-hee -- invited to the Semaine de la Critique at Cannes this year -- opens in local theaters Wednesday.
By Won Ho-jung (hjwon@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 2

Now Playing
Posting only relevant material

"Coin Locker Girl" (19)

Noir/ 110/ Korean

This film follows the story of a girl (Kim Go-eun-I) who was found in a coin locker and raised by a loan shark mob boss named Eomma (Kim Hye-soo), which means "Mother" in Korean.

A top actress in Korea, Kim Hye-soo received a lot of press attention for her astonishing makeover in this film after she was given a big belly, gray hair and bad skin. Her character is a cruel woman who never hesitates to kill anyone found to be useless.

Kim Go-eun, one of the most promising Korean actresses in her 20s, plays Il-Young, who never doubted Eomma before she met Seouk-Hyun (Park Bo-geom), whose way of living is totally different from hers.

Eomma notices Il-Young's conflicting emotions and gives her a daunting mission.

This film has also sparked interest because two actresses are in the leading roles, which is unusual for a noir film.

The harmony that rising star Kim Go-eun-I and veteran Kim Hye-soo have in this female-driven film has garnered much attention.

• Like 1

May 12, 2015

‘Coin Locker Girl’ draws 1.26 million viewers

The movie “Coin Locker Girl” known as “Chinatown” in Korean, took in nearly 40,000 viewers on Monday to be ranked No. 2 at the Korean box office.

According to industry data, the movie has now been seen by more than 1.26 million people. 

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20150512

Starring actresses Kim Hye-soo and Kim Go-eun, the movie follows the story of a young girl who was abandoned as a baby. 

The girl, played by Kim Go-eun, is raised by a ruthless loan shark played by Kim Hye-soo.

While the girl is raised by the loan shark and trained to be just as ruthless as her “mother,” she turns against those who raised her when she is ordered to murder a boy whose father defaulted on a loan. 

By Choi He-suk (cheesuk@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 2

May 12, 2015

'Coin Locker Girl' Achieves Better-Than-Expected Results at Box Office

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

2015051201728_0.jpg

The noir film "Coin Locker Girl" passed the 1 million mark in viewership on Saturday, some 10 days after its release on April 30.

The film's viewership performance came as a surprise because it faces a number of box-office disadvantages. 

It received an R rating, which greatly limits the audience, and had to contend with competition for filmgoers' cash with Hollywood blockbuster "Avengers: Age of Ultron," which has virtually monopolized cinemas across the country. 

Thanks to a positive reception from audiences, however, it has been able to get screened in more cinemas.

"Coin Locker Girl" concerns the relationship between a girl who was abandoned in a coin locker at a subway station at birth and a crime boss who raised her. 

The film will be screened as part of International Critics' Week at the 68th Cannes Film Festival, which kicks off on Wednesday.

• Like 2

Now Playing...

photo593761.jpg

"Coin Locker Girl" (19)

Noir/ 110/ Korean

This film, which was invited to this year's prestigious Cannes International Film Festival, follows the story of a girl (played by Kim Go-eun-I), who was found in a coin locker and raised by a loan shark mob boss named Eomma (Kim Hye-soo) which means "Mother" in Korean.

After opening in local theaters two weeks ago, the film has stayed firmly at No. 2 on the weekend box office amid the influx of many new movies opening for the summer season.

It has garnered more than 1 million viewers so far.

A top actress in Korea, Kim Hye-soo received a lot of press attention for her astonishing makeover in this film after she was given a big belly, gray hair and bad skin. Her character is a cruel woman who never hesitates to kill anyone found to be useless.

Kim Go-eun-I, one of the most promising Korean actresses in her 20s, plays Il-Young, who never doubted Eomma before she met Seouk-Hyun (Park Bo-geom), whose way of living is totally different from hers.

Eomma notices Il-Young's conflicting emotions and gives her a daunting mission.

This film has also sparked interest because two actresses are in the leading roles, which is unusual for a noir film.

The harmony that rising star Kim Go-eun-I and veteran Kim Hye-soo have in this female-driven film has garnered much attention.

Edited by irilight
Link did not work earlier
  • Like 2

Cannes 2015 Review: COIN LOCKER GIRL Offers New Perspectives On Standard Thrills

rsz_2015_-_coin_locker_girl_still_2-thum

Against a parking lot bursting with saturated colors, a person lies on the ground, at the mercy of another standing above them who wields a sashimi knife still dripping red from its last kill.

Dark, bloody and stylish, this could be the beginning of just about any Korean noir. But Coin Locker Girl is trying something new, as these two characters are played by none other than Kim Hye-su, one of Korea's most glamorous leading ladies, and Kim Go-eun, its latest fresh-faced starlet.

Han Jun-hee's debut seeks not to redefine the thriller genre in Korea so much as it tries to update it to reflect a new Korea, one in which people are beginning to resist patriarchal norms, and where immigrants can no longer be brushed aside as an afterthought (it's no accident that the story takes place in Incheon's Chinatown, the Korean title of the film).

Abandoned by god knows who, Il-young's journey in life begins as a wailing infant trapped inside a subway coin locker. Seven years later she's lifted by a shady opportunist who sells her to a seedy loan shark madam in Chinatown. A decade on and she's part of the madam's 'family', and has become rather effective at collecting debts. But the gruff and tomboyish Il-young discovers another side of herself when she meets a young man saddled with his father's debt. Feeling empathy for the first time, she crosses her matriarch, whose reaction is swift and brutal.

The female leads are an undeniably fresh touch, but it must be said that Coin Locker Girl offers nothing new to the gangster/revenge pantheon of Korean cinema. A loyal foot soldier disobeys a boss when romance wafts into the air, is severely punished and then seeks revenge. Sound familiar? Though grittier and more emotional, Han's film bears more than a passing resemblance to Kim Jee-woon's A Bittersweet Life (2005).

What Coin Locker Girl does have, and plenty of it, is style. The production and costume design is earthy, the colors are rich and the cinematography is gorgeous, but above all the whole mise-en-scene adds up to more than the sum of its parts, boasting the keen touch of a director who's willing to see what he can wring out of his talented crew and is not afraid to experiment. A former assistant director on the comic melodrama Ba: Bo (2008) and writer for the psychic thriller The Gifted Hands (2013), Han's resume didn't inspire much confidence. But his debut, as well as its invitation to Cannes' Critics' Week, has announced him as someone to watch.

She may be buried under frumpy clothes, padding, makeup and a frizzy wig, but the smouldering charisma of Kim Hye-su, star of Tazza: The High Rollers (2006) and The Thieves (2012), is still very much present in Coin Locker Girl. Rather than tone down her sex appeal to play the domineering but homely matriarch, she channels it into a threatening performance that hovers over the whole film despite her relatively brief time on screen.

Appearing in most of the film, young star Kim Go-eun, who shot to fame as a precocious high school girl in Eungyo (2012), is the real lead of the film. She holds her own against her veteran co-star (who receives top billing) with a turn that is at first gruff, eventually empathetic and confident throughout. Still it's a big part and Kim, though gutsy, is a little green around the edges, at times trying too hard and not always able to land the film's many emotional beats. Simply put, she's a good lead, but her best work is definitely ahead of her.

Also worthy of mention, though appearing in a much smaller role, is Jo Bok-rae, who plays the man she sells the young Il-young. Jo was the standout in this year's otherwise lacklustre C'est si bon and he once again shows boundless charisma here. He's a talent to watch and with any luck, he'll become a big name before long.

It may not break any new narrative ground, but genre fans should find plenty to like in Coin Locker Girl. With its strong female characters and earthy style, Han's debut is a sharply staged affair that does enough to differentiate itself from the over-saturated Korean noir field.

Source: Twitch Film

Edited by irilight
Link did not work earlier
  • Like 2

Director, cast attend 'Coin Locker Girl' screening at Cannes

The director and actors of the Korean film "Coin Locker Girl" attended the Cannes Film Festival on Saturday, during which the film was screened.

The feature-length debut by director Han Jun-hee was screened under a non-competition category at the 68th edition of the festival.

"I never expected the film to be invited (to Cannes)," said Han on Saturday, thanking the actors and crew members.

From left: Director Han Jun-hee, actors Kim Go-eun and Go Kyung-pyo at the Cannes Film Festival, Saturday.

The host for the non-competition category said the film was "energizing" and that lead actress Kim Go-eun looked set to be the next Jeon Do-yeon, who has attended the Cannes Film Festival four times.

Kim, attending the Cannes Film Festival for the first time, plays a young girl abandoned as a baby and raised by a ruthless moneylender in "Coin Locker Girl."

"There were times during filming that I even thought I couldn't do it," said Kim. "In the future as I continue doing projects, I think I will remember this film when I feel burdened or face difficulties."

Kim, 23, said that she hopes to become like fellow actress Jeon, who also attended this year's festival for the film "The Shameless."

"Coin Locker Girl" and "The Shameless" are among four Korean films invited to the Cannes Film Festival this year.

Source: Kpop Herald

• Like 3

68-cannes.jpg

May 20, 2015

Interview Director HAN Jun-hee and Actress KIM Go-eun of COIN LOCKER GIRL

“We’re grateful to be nominated for the Caméra d'or”

by CANNES=NA Won-jung / KoBiz

wuWuXgTmhBKpgLJKgGLr.jpg

Being invited to Cannes as a new director and actor carry a special meaning. After being invited to the Cannes International Film Festival with his debut film Coin Locker Girl, director HAN Jun-hee had arrived at the festival with his actress KIM Go-eun. As a newcomer, he is nominated for the Caméra d'or. The duo looked excited to be at the festival, and was enjoying every moment while they waited for their first official screening.

What are your thoughts on being invited to Cannes?
Director HAN Jun-hee(HAN) : I think Cannes is a place where after a long period of hard work, good filmmakers gather for their brief moment to shine. What I also want to do most here is to watch as many films as I can. It’s too bad there are a lot of official festival events I have to attend and do not have much time for screenings. I’m honored and happy to be here, but waking up early in the morning to prepare for a shoot is what I think of when talking about films. As a director, it’s important for me to take care of the film’s investors, staffs, and actors.

Actress KIM Go-eun(KIM) : I’m enjoying every day at Cannes. I saw Ewan McGregor at a restaurant yesterday. Also, going to parties in beautiful dresses every night is a lot of fun. Although I want to watch a lot of films as well, what I really want to do is to enjoy the beach with a glass of wine.

MrcabeFeUebRDGxhOCiw.jpg

What was the best thing about being invited to Cannes?
HAN: As Coin Locker Girl is nominated for the Caméra d'or, the official jury members will be watching the film. I’m honored that the Coen brothers will be watching my film. I have many doubts about myself so I’m not sure what kind of director I will become, but after coming to Cannes, I have a strong desire to make many more films.

KIM: What I was most proud of at Cannes was when JEON Do-yeon, who I respect very much, did her introduction on stage for The Shameless. Watching the audience response was interesting and when I saw that everyone had their eyes and ears on her, it made me proud as a fellow actress.

What did Coin Locker Girl bring to you?
HAN: Not too long ago, the film hit over 1.4 million admissions in Korea and went over the break-even point. I’m thankful that I was able to attend Cannes with this film.

KIM: Even just before the shoot started, I had doubts about how well I could perform in Coin Locker Girl, and had many second thoughts. But solving each of the problems was enjoyable especially through working with the director to make the film. Whenever I have any difficulties in my acting career, I think I’ll be reminded of my experience shooting Coin Locker Girl.

KIM Go-eun, you have another film preparing for release titled Memories of the Sword, which you’ve starred with JEON Do-yeon. It seems like you’ve worked with two of the most respected Korean actresses, KIM Hye-soo and JEON Do-yeon.
KIM: I worked with JEON in Memories of the Sword and KIM in Coin Locker Girl. The two seem very different, but they carry a lot of similar characteristics. What I was most touched about is that they treat all other actors the same, despite my lack of experience. I was proud to be working with them. KIM Hye-soo unfortunately had arrangements for volunteer work and was unable to attend Cannes. But she prepared the outfits for those of us attending Cannes for Coin Locker Girl, including all staff members, from small items like accessory to clothes. She’s someone I respect a lot.

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1