20150729_g18.gif

Jeon Do-yeon as Seol-rang / Wallso

Lee Byung-hun as Deok-gi / Yoo-baek

Kim Go-eun as Hong-ee / Seol-hee

Lee Junho as Yool

Lee Geung-young as teacher

Kim Tae-woo as Jon-bok

Bae Soo-bin as Poong-chun

This is a story of three swordsmen, Jon-gul, Seol-rang, and Deok-gi, who led an uprising during the Goryeo era. When their desire for freedom and justice is about to be fulfilled, Deok-gi betrays them, leading to the death of Jon-gul, and to Seol-rang disappearing along with Jon-gul's infant daughter Hong-ee. When Seol-rang leaves, Deok-gi intones the prophecy that "You, no, not just you, but you and I both will be killed by Hong-ee."

Eighteen years later, Seol-rang, now called Wallso, is a blind woman with two children who manages a tea house at Byukran port. Determined to take revenge on Deok-gi, Wallso tries to teach Hong-ee to become a master of the sword, but Hong-ee (who changed her name to Seol-hee) is much more interested in day to day affairs than what happened to her father in the past.

One day, a big sword match hosted by the powerful military ruler Deok-gi (now known as Yoo-baek) is held in the market. Seol-hee participates in the match despite Wallso's objections. As the match progresses, she ends up fighting Yull, who is the master of the sword.

Yoo-baek realizes that Seol-hee's skill with the sword is similar to Seol-rang's, whom he had once loved. Yoo-baek orders his subordinates to catch Seol-hee, but she is able to run away. That same night, Seol-hee learns how her father, Jon-gul died. Wallso tells her that there are two enemies that Seol-hee is destined to vanquish: Yoo-baek, and Wallso herself. Shocked and desperate, Seol-hee leaves home: the beginning of a long journey of revenge. (Wikipedia)

dir_parkheungsik.jpg
user posted image 

user posted imageuser posted image

user posted image

'Memories of the Sword' Casts Lee Byung Hun and Jeon Do Yeon as Leads

CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo Translation Credit : Erika Kim

A giant of a movie is in the works, as Memories of the Sword announced it had cast Lee Byung Hun, Jeon Do Yeon and Kim Go Eun. On July 8, a source for the film announced that "Lee Byung Hun, Jeon Do Yeon and Kim Go Eun have been confirmed [for the film]. It will be a collaboration of the global star, the Cannes award-winning actress and the best rookie out there."

Memories of the Sword is about two women who train to have their revenge on a man. Seol Lang (Jeon Do Yeon) hides her identity as the best swordfighter in Goryeo to train her daughter Seol Hee (Kim Go Eun) as a secret weapon for her revenge. 18 years later, they come upon the man they′re aiming for, Deok Ki (Lee Byung Hun), who has been conspiring to overtake the throne despite his being a mere concubine′s son.

Lee Byung Hun said he "made the final decision while considering Memories of the Sword in a positive light," and Jeon Do Yeon said she joined "to keep the promise with director Park Heung Sik made in the time of the film My Mother the Mermaid."

The film now boasts a top cast, as Lee Byung Hun is known as a global star through Masquerade, G.I.Joe 2 and Red 2, Jeon Do Yeon is famous as the actress who won the Best Actress Award at the 60th Festival de Cannes and Kim Go Eun won numerous rookie awards at the Daejong Film Awards, Blue Dragon Film Awards and the Korean Association of Film Critics Awards last year.

Related Links

Asianwiki l LBH-soompi l JDY-soompi l KGE soompi l LJH soompiKTW soompi l BSB soompi

Lotte Ent FBEverythingLBH.com l MOTS Album Gallery 1 l 2

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July 8, 2013

Lee Byung-hun Cast in New Historical Film

by Lee Eun Ah TENASIA

hyeopyeo.jpg
Top Korean actor Lee Byung-hun has been cast in a new historical film along with actresses Jeon Do-yeon and Kim Ko-eun, the film’s promoter said on Monday.

An official with Lotte Entertainment told TenAsia over the phone that the three film talents were cast in historical film “Female Swordsman” (translated title).

The film will crank in during the latter half of this year and is most likely to be released next year, he added.

The film, set in the Goguryeo Dynasty, centers on Seol-rang who forges her identity as a female swordsman and trains her daughter in order to seek revenge against Deok-ki, who lusts to become king despite his low social rank.

Meanwhile, this will be Lee’s second time to be in a historical film since “Masquerade,” which sold over 12 million tickets last year.

The film will be helmed by director Park Heung-sik and this will be his second time to work with Jeon since their artistic film “My Mother, the Mermaid” (2004).

Korean rookie actress Kim Ko-eun most recently nabbed the Rising Star Award at the 12th 2013 New York Asian film Festival for her role in the controversial film “Eungyo” (2012).

June 24, 2013

Lee Byung-hun, Jeon Do-yeon to star in 'Hyeopnyeo'

By Bae Ji-sook The Korea Herald

Korean film stars Lee Byung-hun and Jeon Do-yeon will appear in a historical drama that will mark their first onscreen appearance together in 14 years, it was reported Monday. 

According to local news outlet TV Report, Lee recently decided to accept a leading role in “Hyeopnyeo,” which will be directed by Park Heung-shik, whose previous films include “Bravo, My Life!,” “I Wish I Had a Wife” and “My Mother, The Mermaid.” 

1372051690973_1_143535.jpg
Jeon, who has long been friends with Park and starred with Lee in the 1999 film, “The Harmonium in My Memory,” has already accepted her role. The winner of Best Actress at Cannes Film Festival in 2007 for “Secret Sunshine” has starred in “I Wish I Had a Wife” and “My Mother, The Mermaid.” 

“The initial idea of the film was conceived in 2004 while Park was filming ‘The Mermaid’ and shared it with Jeon, who encouraged him to keep on with the development,” the report said. 

“It is true that Lee had received the offer and looked over it. It is now a matter of scheduling as the actor is engaged in prior commitments such as promotion for his upcoming Hollywood feature ‘Red 2,’” said an insider at BH Entertainment, Lee’s agency. 

“Hyeopnyeo” is set in the late Goryeo (918-1392) period, and depicts Seollang, a blind vagabond, and her protege Cheongnyeo wandering the country for vengeance. Lee is highly likely to take the role of Deokgi, the subject of Seollang’s lifelong vendetta. 

Thanks to mistymorning at LBH soompi for the info on the movie title(s)

The Korean Title of the new movie is "Hyeopyeo" (the full title is Hyeopyeo: Memories of the sword ), which is identical to 1971  Taiwanese film, 俠女. 1971 film's English title was "A touch of Zen", and I suspect that's how some English news article is using that one.
So far I haven't seen any official proof that the new movie will use the same English title as the old movie, and I doubt it will, because aside from the title and the genre, they seem to be different movie. But we'll see. FYI, the the production company has the factbook page here.

July 8, 2013

Lee Byung Hun and Jeon Do Yeon to Team Up Onscreen Again After 14 Years

soompi.com

201307081330561122_1.jpg

Star power will not be lacking for a new film, “Swordswoman” (otherwise known as “Memories of the Sword” or “A Touch of Zen”) as A-list actors Lee Byung Hun and Jeon Do Yeon are signed up to play the leads.

According to reports in local news agencies, the film’s promotion company has announced that “world star” Lee Byung Hun and the “Queen of Cannes” Jeon Do Yeon are set to star in the historical, martial arts film.
Up and coming actress Kim Go Eun is also announced  in the cast.

In the film set in the Goryeo Dynasty, Jeon Do Yeon plays Seol Rang, the best female sword fighter of her time. She trains her daughter, Seol Hee, Kim Go Eun’s character, in order to exact revenge on Deoki (played by Lee Byung Hun), who is after the throne even though he is born of a concubine.

This will be the second time for Jeon Do Yeon to work with “Swordswoman” director Park Heung Sik. She and Park Heung Sik teamed up for 2004′s “My Mother, the Mermaid.”

It will also be a re-teaming for Lee Byung Hun and Jeon Do Yeon who once shared the screen for “The Harmonium in My Memory” back in 1999.

“Swordswoman” is set for a 2014 release.

July 14, 2013

Lee Byung-heon and Jeon Do-yeon reunite in action revenge sageuk

by dramabeans.com

leebyungheon10.jpg

It looks like we’ve got a pretty epic movie reunion on the way — Lee Byung-heon (Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King) is going from Joseon royalty to Goryeo warrior in the upcoming action sageuk Gallant Woman: Memory of the Sword, starring Jeon Do-yeon (Countdown) as the best sword-fighter in all of Goryeo. Badass. It’s been fourteen years since the pair of A-listers were in a project together (as lovers in 1999′s The Harmonium In My Memory), and this time they’ll meet as mortal enemies who fight to the death.

The new film comes from PD Park Heung-shik of Heaven’s Kids and the drama My Sweet Seoul, and Jeon Do-yeon has worked with him before in Mermaid and I Wish I Had a Wife. The Goryeo-era martial arts film starts out with Jeon Do-yeon and Lee Byung-heon as part of a trio of the best warriors in the country. But Lee Byung-heon betrays them, kills the third member, and sets out on an ambitious path to become king.

Jeon Do-yeon is left to pick up the pieces and disappears with the daughter of the friend who died. She takes on the role of mother and teacher, and raises the young girl to become a weapon of revenge. The daughter will be played by rising young actress Kim Go-eun (Eungyo), who’s just starting her career and already riding a wave of critical acclaim.

Eighteen years later, the mother and daughter pair will set out to enact their revenge, just as Lee Byung-heon is amassing the power to make a play for the throne. That’s a pretty great premise. Mommy-daughter sword-fighting duo, kicking richard simmons and taking names? Yes please.

jeondoyeon_kimgoeun1.jpg

Via My Daily

July 14, 2013
Jo Jeong-seok, Kim Go-eun and Lee Jong-suk "Sophomore jinx?"
Source: DongA.com via Hancinema.net 
56446940.2.jpg

There's no sophomore jinx.
Many actors and actresses who are into their second year of acting are being focused on right now. The sophomore jinx which is a kind of slump one goes through at about their second year since their debut, does not apply to Jo Jeong-seok, Kim Go-eun and Lee Jong-suk. They have taken their places as mature actors and actress.
Jo Jeong-seok debuted last year with "Architecture 101" and continues to star in highlighted historical dramas "The Face Reader" and "The King's Wrath". They are both highly anticipated dramas due to their storyline and lineup starring Song Kang-ho. Jo Jeong-seok takes on the role of a killer who goes through hardships with Song Kang-ho and tries to kill the king, Hyeon Bin.
Kim Go-eun debuted with the movie "A Muse" last year and she chose to work with a top actor. She stars in the martial arts movie "A Touch of Zen" with world star Lee Byeong-Heon. Kim was also called 'the next Jeon Do-yeon' when she first came out and now she grabbed the opportunity to co-star with the famous actress in this movie within a year of her debut. She's currently filming the thriller "Monster".
Lee Jong-suk is also one who is irrelevant to the sophomore jinx. He debuted last year with the movie "Korea" and he's headlining movies in less than a year. He's currently busy with his first leading movie "NO-BREATH" which is about swimmers. He starred in "The Face Reader" as Song Kang-ho's son.
Their activities are being more noticed with the varying number of Korean movies produced. It seems like this is due not only to the abilities of the actors and actresses but also because the genre in which movies are being made, is becoming more and more diverse.

July 11, 2013
Lee Byung-hun and Jeon Do-yeon Headline Historical Epic
MEMORIES OF THE SWORD Will Also Star Rookie Kim Go-eun by Pierce Conran KOFIC
A new film is in the works, which will pair some of the biggest actors working in the Korean film industry for the first time in 16 years. Following their roles in the romantic The Harmonium in My Memory (1998), mega-star Lee Byung-hun and screen siren Jeon Do-yeon will become rivals in Park Heung-shik’s historical epic Memories of the Sword. Jeon will play Seol-lang, a female warrior who hides her identity as the best swordfighter in Goryeo while she trains her daughter Seol-hee (Kim Go-eun) as part of her 18-year plan for revenge. The object of her rage is Deok-ki, played by Lee, a concubine’s son who is conspiring to take over the throne. The project is already drawing keen interest particularly for the presence of Lee, who is redhot following his award-winning role in Masquerade and his Hollywood action turns in G.I. Joe: Retaliation and Red 2 (out later this month). Meanwhile Jeon is well know due to her Best Actress win at the Cannes Film Festival for Lee Chang-dong’s Secret Sunshine (2007) among many other notable credits. Kim is a fast rising star who scooped up all of last year’s rookie awards for her breakout turn in A Muse. Director Park, who has previously worked with Jeon on My Mother the Mermaid (2004), is now at the helm of what looks to be one of the biggest Korean projects on the horizon. The Lotte Entertainment period blockbuster will go into production at the end of August for an expected 2014 release.

July 16, 2013

"The Red" Lee Byung-Hun "Working with Jeon Do-Yeon again? I'm looking forward to it" 

Source: enews24 l image from maxmovie l translation by mistymorning-EverythingLBH.com
hyeopyeo_1.jpg

Interview article is about actor Lee Byung Hun's thoughts on working with actress Jeon Do Yeon and their upcoming movie project. He is really looking forward to work with his co-stars, actresses Jeon and Kim Go Eun.

Lee Byung Hun further stated that "even though the genre is martial arts movie, it is actually a really sad and beautiful love story". "A lot of people thought my role is just a villain, but the role cannot be defined that clearly as villain." 

July 17, 2013
Kim Tae-woo likely to join "A Touch Of Zen"
Source: Enews24 via Hancinema.net
35498620.JPG

Actor Kim Tae-woo from the SBS drama "That Winter, the Wind Blows" is about to join the movie "A Touch of Zen".
"A Touch of Zen" is about Seol-lang (Jeon Do-yeon) who raises a warrior named Seol-hee (Kim Go-eun-I) as a mother and a master to take revenge at the end of the Koryo times.
This movie has been the topic of issue for a while with the casting of world star Lee Byeong-Heon and rookie actress Kim Go-eun.
Kim Tae-woo's addition to the movie should give it another boost. Lee Byeong-Heon and Kim Tae-woo have already met once through the movie "JSA - Joint Security Area".
There is also word that Kim Tae-woo and Jeon Do-yeon will reunite as a couple ever since the 1997 movie "The Contact".
"A Touch of Zen" will finalize casting and start filming in August.

Guest new-nu_i

rubie said:
July 14, 2013

Lee Byung-heon and Jeon Do-yeon reunite in action revenge sageuk
by girlfriday dramabeans.com
leebyungheon10.jpg
It looks like we’ve got a pretty epic movie reunion on the way — Lee Byung-heon (Gwanghae, The Man Who Became King) is going from Joseon royalty to Goryeo warrior in the upcoming action sageuk Gallant Woman: Memory of the Sword, starring Jeon Do-yeon (Countdown) as the best sword-fighter in all of Goryeo. Badass. It’s been fourteen years since the pair of A-listers were in a project together (as lovers in 1999′s The Harmonium In My Memory), and this time they’ll meet as mortal enemies who fight to the death.
The new film comes from PD Park Heung-shik of Heaven’s Kids and the drama My Sweet Seoul, and Jeon Do-yeon has worked with him before in Mermaid and I Wish I Had a Wife. The Goryeo-era martial arts film starts out with Jeon Do-yeon and Lee Byung-heon as part of a trio of the best warriors in the country. But Lee Byung-heon betrays them, kills the third member, and sets out on an ambitious path to become king.
Jeon Do-yeon is left to pick up the pieces and disappears with the daughter of the friend who died. She takes on the role of mother and teacher, and raises the young girl to become a weapon of revenge. The daughter will be played by rising young actress Kim Go-eun (Eungyo), who’s just starting her career and already riding a wave of critical acclaim.
Eighteen years later, the mother and daughter pair will set out to enact their revenge, just as Lee Byung-heon is amassing the power to make a play for the throne. That’s a pretty great premise. Mommy-daughter sword-fighting duo, kicking richard simmons and taking names? Yes please.
The film is planning on a 2014 release.
jeondoyeon_kimgoeun1.jpg

Via My Daily waiting to see this..I like kim go eun she's beautiful. and Good Luck to you:) KIM GO EUN   

• 1 month later...

Related Hyeopyeo excerpt only, full articles at 10Asia (links provided)

July 23, 2013
[iNTERVIEW] Actor Lee Byung-hun – Part 1 & II 

by Jessica Kim TENASIA Part 1 l Part 2

user posted image
Actor Lee Byung-hun [Lotte Entertainment]

Q. You must be busy with having to promote “Red 2,” shoot your next movie, and prepare for your marriage.

Lee : I’ve already gone back and forth between the U.S. and Korea several times for “Red 2.” And I’ll start filming “Female Swordsman” (translated title) soon so I need to take part in meetings for those, and I need to get married. I don’t even know anymore if I’m doing a good job. I think I’m best at doing one thing at a time. It’s hectic having to do three big things at once.

Q. What’s the most difficult to do?

Lee : They’re all difficult.

Q. Why resume your activities in Korea when you’ve gotten your career going in Hollywood?

Lee : I actually don’t see Hollywood as my final destination. It’s also not like I’m focusing on it more either. I won’t suffer much loss even if I don’t get to do anymore Hollywood films because I’m doing what I’m good at in Korea. It’s [Hollywood] more like an exploration for me that I’m taking on with half worry and half anticipation of what more will come up and happen for me. I know I have a handicap, both in terms of culture and language.

Q. You’ve done a lot of actions movies so far but your next film is martial arts films “Female Swordsman.”

Lee : It’s a martial arts film in genre but the story itself is about a deep love. That’s what I thought was unique about it and drew me to it.

Q. You’ll be working with actress Jeon Do-yeon for the first time since 1999 when you did “The Harmonium In My Memory.”

Lee : I’m looking forward to it because it’s been a while. I considered her a good actress back then as well but ever since, she’s also been recognized overseas through various films. I’m curious to what sort of synergy effect the improved she and I will create. Plus the great starlet Kim Go-eun will be with us as well so I’m looking forward to that too.

Q. You’ve become an actor whose projects the Korean audience will watch because they believe in you. Doesn’t that put pressure you?

Lee : It puts pressures me and also makes me feel more responsibility because I’m human. But there’s no end to feeling the pressure once it starts. I’d run out of steam so fast that I wouldn’t be able to shoot movies. So I’m cautious with the choices I make and then do my best, yet try not to pay too much attention to the outcome. That’s the only way I can be free within myself.

imageWedding Ceremony August 10, 2013

201308101617521112_1.jpg

Tidbits to share: Lee Byung Hun invited his Hyeopyeo co-stars to his wedding on August 10. :) Filming will soon start in September, FIGHTING!
20130810000194_0.jpg
Jeon Do Yeon
852209_0_500760_99642.jpg
Kim Go Eun
ktw.jpg
Kim Tae Woo

August 26, 2013
2PM’s Junho confirmed for ‘Memories of the Sword’ movie
By Korea Star Daily | KpopFighting.com
1377489066_19162633-7.jpg

2PM’s Junho is set for a return to the big screen, after accepting an offer to star in his second movie ‘Memories of the Sword’ (director: Park Heung Sik).
JYP Entertainment said today, “Junho was confirmed for a role in the upcoming movie ‘Memories of the Sword’ by the movie company. We are currently liaising with them for the details.”
Junho will be playing a supporting role in the movie which has already garnered much attention with its big names like Lee Byung Hun and Jeon Do Yeon. The movie is set in the waning years of the Goryo Dynasty, and revolves around the best sword fighter in Goryeo named Seol Lang (Jeon Do Yeon). She lives in recluse and trains her daughter Seol Hee (Kim Go Eun), so that they can take revenge on Deok Ki (Lee Byung Hun), who betrayed Seol Lang 18 years ago. A twist ensues however as Deok Ki is harbouring thoughts of taking the throne despite being the son of a concubine.
Junho had previously starred as Detective Squirrel in movie ‘Cold Eyes’ earlier this year, and won praise from viewers from his stellar acting despite it being his debut role.
By: Yoon Hyo JungCopyright@KpopFighting.com

August 27, 2013

2PM Junho Cast in Lee Byung-hun’s Historical Film

by Lee Eun Ah TENASIA

Boy band 2PM’s Junho at the press preview for his screen debut film “Cold Eyes,” held at the CGV movie theater in Seoul, Korea on June 19, 2013. [1st Look]

K-pop boy band 2PM member Junho has been cast in a movie starring film heavyweights Lee Byung-hun and Jeon Do-yeon.

An official with his agency JYP Entertainment told TenAsia over the phone on Tuesday that the singer-actor is in the process of finalizing the contract for upcoming historical film “Female Swordsman” (translated title).

The film, set in the Goguryeo Dynasty, centers on Seol-rang (Jeon) who forges her identity as a female swordsman and trains her daughter (Kim) in order to seek revenge against Deok-ki (Lee), who desires to become king despite his low social status.

Junho, who debuted as a member of 2PM in 2008, made his film debut through horror film “White,” starring T-ara member Eunjung, in 2011.

He then made a breakthrough on the big screen with a role nicknamed Squirrel in hit thriller pic “Cold Eyes,” starring top stars Jung Woo-sung, Han Hyo-joo and Seol Kyung-gu.

The film sold more than five million tickets following its release on July 3, making it the fourth most-watched Korean film this year.

Reporter. Euna Lee domino@tenasia.co.krEditor. Jessica Kim

August 27, 2013

Jun-Ho to Join Jeon Do-Yeon & Lee Byung-Hun in ‘Hyeob-Nyeo’

by kpc K-PopCulture

(K-popculture) – - 2PM’s Jun-Ho is to join the movie ‘Hyeob-Nyeo: A Touch of Zen’ directed by Park Heung-Sik.

2PM’s agency JYP Entertainment informed a medium by telephone on August 26 “Jun-Ho will join the move ‘Hyeob-Nyeo’.”

Jun-Ho successfully made his film debut playing the ace of the surveillance section nicknamed ‘Squirrel’ in the movie ‘Cold Eyes’ which reached 5.5 million mark, and won a part in the movie ‘Hyeob-Nyeo.’

The movie is drawing a lot of attention for its heavy-hitting cast including Lee Byung-Hun, Jeon Do-Yeon and Kim Go-Eun. It is a chivalrous action movie depicting fates and a reunion between Seol-Lang(Jeon Do-Yeon) who was the best swordsman in the late Koryo but hid her identity to raise her daughter Seol-Hee(Kim Go-Eun) as a secret weapon to take revenge against her enemy and Deok-Gi(Lee Byung-Hun) who is the enemy born of a mean concubine but desiring to be crowned as king.

Jun-Ho will play ‘Yul’ who is Deok-Gi’s subordinate dealing with Seol-Lang, and take melodramatic shots with Kim Go-Eun.

The movie directed by Park Heung-Sik known for ‘My Mother, the Mermaid’ and ‘I Wish I Had a Wife’ will begin the shooting early next month to be released in the second half next year.

by Lee Yi-Seul(ssmoly6@gmail.com)

August 26, 2013

2PM's Junho To Play Supporting Role in "Memories Of The Sword"

THE IDOL, WHO WON PRAISE FOR HIS DEBUT ROLE, HAS NOW BEEN CAST IN ANOTHER FILM.
KpopStarz

2PM's Junho is taking up the sword for a new role in the movie "Memories of the Sword." It's a historical film about swordplay, betrayal and revenge. There are no details yet as to which role Lee Junho will play, but it will be a supporting one in an already impressive cast that includes Lee Byung Hun, Jeon Do Heon and Kim Go Eun .

According to a representative of his management company, JYP Entertainment, "Junho has been confirmed for a role in the upcoming movie, "Memories of the Sword." We are currently working out the details."

It will be Junho's second film. Although he is still a rookie actor, he won praise for his debut performance as Detective Squirrel in the popular film "Cold Eyes," which co-starred Sol Kyung Gu, Jung Woo Sung and Han Hyo Joo.

Despite being nervous about his debut, he managed to stand out among his well-known co-stars.

August 27, 2013

Junho to appear in ‘Hyeopnyeo’

By Cha Yo-rim The Korea Herald

2PM member Junho will be appearing in the movie “Hyeopnyeo,” directed by Park Heung-shik, alongside Korean film stars Lee Byung-hun, Chun Do-yeon and Kim Go-eun. 

A specific role for the boy band member has not been revealed yet, but the production team announced that official filming for the movie will begin in September. 

This will not be the first time Junho has made an on-screen appearance. He made his film debut playing the role of the host of a music show in horror flick “White: The Melody of the Curse” in 2011. He gained acclaim for his most recent role in “Cold Eyes,” which opened in July, as the confident and likable youngest member of a surveillance team. 

“Hyeopnyeo,” set in the last days of the Goryeo (918-1392) period, revolves around a female master swordsman, Seollang (Jeon Do-hyun), who hides her identity and raises her child Seolhee for the sole purpose of taking revenge. The subject of Seollang’s vendetta is Deokgi (Lee Byung-hun), who schemes to ascend to the throne. The film explores what happens when the three cross paths for the first time in 18 years. 

August 23, 2013
Period Films on the RiseTHE FACE READER and Period Film Craze by Tae Sang-joon KOFIC

The period film in Korean cinema has been an unpopular and outdated genre until only recently. Back in the 1960s, during Korean cinema’s golden age, the genre was very active, featuring diverse personas and settings from the past. However, the recycling of similar narratives and endless remakes eventually burned out the genre, resulting in a loss of audience. Along with the burnout of the genre, another factor for its downfall was a budgetary issue. To produce a well-made period film, a huge budget is a must, which became one of the reasons for movie studios to turn their back on the genre. To meet historical details, the basic producing cost of building sets and making costumes could easily reach KRW 10 billon (USD 10 million). Controversial perspectives on historical facts and events could also bring risk to commercial films, resulting in another important reason why this genre was avoided.
Things have clearly changed today. With an average viewing rate of 42.4%, The Moon Embracing the Sun, one of the last year’s TV series, became a huge hit, announcing that the period drama has now become a rising star both in TV and cinema in terms of viewer ratings and box office profits. The prosperity of this genre can be proved by numbers. The PARK Hae-il starring action movie War of the Arrows, released in August 2011, reached 7.45 million accumulated viewers, and KIM Dai-seung’s (Bungee Jumping of Their Own, 2001; Traces of Love, 2006) low budget period film The Concubine sold 2.6 million tickets, turning out to be a veritable sleeper that hardly anybody saw coming. The Grand Heist, a period film featuring CHA Tae-hyun, almost topped five million viewers. Most outstandingly, the LEE Byung-hun film Masquerade became the biggest hit ever among period films in Korean cinema. Directed by CHOO Chang-min of Mapado (2005) and Lost in Love (2006), Masquerade attracted 12.3 million spectators, ranking at the third place in the all time Korean box office chart between The Thieves and Miracle in Cell No. 7. tdxONYRFqrzycnzFVXzv.jpg
There are certain keywords to explain this unprecedented prosperity of period films in Korean cinema today. They are “fusion” and “faction.” While, in the past, period films were limited within a traditional generic framework, the 21st century version of this genre cleverly blends with other genres such as the thriller, medical drama, comedy, fantasy and so on. Furthermore, historical events and personas are freely adjusted and updated, resulting in totally new stories and characters. Moreover, projection of modern issues and modern perspectives in the narrative avoid the stereotype of the boring period film.

Dealing with Seobinggo, the traditional freezer of Joseon Dynasty, The Grand Heist successfully appealed to the 21st century’s viewership thanks to the narrative of modern class struggle which eventually punishes the ruling class, and the ‘multi-casting’ of diverse characters. In addition, featuring a controversial historical figure Kwang-hae-gun, Masquerade questioned the virtues of a leader and blended into the real life political agendas of the presidential and parliamentary elections, resulting in big issues outside of the movie house as well. In the meantime, The Concubine appealed to audiences with its unclear narrative background. While the audience accepts the background setting in a period film as a fact, fusion and faction in the drama stretched audience’s imagination even further.
FfuXhGWjagEjapwaByZx.jpg
The period film craze marches on. With The Face Reader, to be released on September 11th, a number of KRW 10 billion budget period films are lined up for the coming seasons. The Face Reader is among the most awaited films in the second half of this year. Its scenario won the grand-prix at the KOEIC scenario awards in 2010. Directed by HAN Jae-rim, seven years since his last film, whose previous works include Rules of Dating (2005) and The Show Must Go On (2007), The Face Reader is a drama set in the 15th century, featuring a genius physiognomist trying to change the destiny of Joseon, his motherland. This film deals with the dramatic ups and downs of this face reading specialist, who found himself in the middle of a historical bouleversement, and his fatherly love, along with diverse personas and their different desires.
 To be sure, the high anticipation towards this film has certainly to do with the casting, presenting a wonderful ensemble of greatly celebrated actors. Nae-gyong, the main character, is played by none other than SONG Kang-ho, known to be the most reliable actor in Korean cinema today, who starred in Memories of Murder (2003), The Host (2006), Secret Reunion (2010) and most recently in Snowpiercer. Also, LEE Jung-jae and KIM Hye-soo from The Thieves (2012), the second most profitable Korean film ever with almost 13 million viewers, now again co-star in The Face Reader, as the ambitious Suyang Daegun aiming at the throne and Yeon-hong the geisha. Furthermore, BAEK Yoon-shik from Tazza: the High Rollers (2006) and The Taste of Money plays the historical figure Kim Jong-seo, adding to the dramatic impact of the film. Two promising rookies, JO Jung-suk (Architecture 101, Almost Che) and LEE Jong-suk (As One, Soar into the Sun) play Nae-gyong’s brother in law ‘Pang-hun’ and Nae-gyong’s son ‘Jin-hyung’, respectively.
rUJDzkjBSWHXjVePUCPd.jpg
The list of promising period films in progress looks endless. It seems as if the big players in Korean cinema are all exclusively working on the period film genre. Showbox Mediaplex Ltd, The Face Reader’s producer and distributor, is planning on two additional period films with The Huntresses and Kundo: Age of the Rampant through this year and the next. The Huntresses, featuring HA Ji-won and KANG Ye-won, aims to be a “character comedy period film.” With director YOON Jong-bin (Nameless Gangster) and star HA Jung-woo collaborating again, Kundo: Age of the Rampant has already become a newsmaker during its pre-production stage, as it is also GANG Dong-won’s (Woochi, 2009; Haunters, 2010) first work since his army dismissal. It takes place in the 10th year of King Chul-jong of Joseon when corruption in the government and abject poverty in the people reached their peaks, featuring a group of thieves who were on the people’s side and struggled to help them get by.
CJ Entertainment, behind The Berlin File and Snowpiercer, is working on Battle Of Myeongryang, featuring CHOI Min-shik, RYU Seung-ryong. It is the fourth film of KIM Han-min (whose filmography includes 2007’s Paradise Murdered and War of Arrows). It is a blockbuster presenting the great battle of Myeongryang with Admiral YI Soon-shin, who defeated Japanese invaders in 1597 with only 13 vessels, which was merely one tenth of his opponents’ fleet.
Lotte Shopping Lotte Entertainment Ltd. of The Terror, LIVE is getting as many as three KRW 10 billion won budget costume dramas ready for 2014. Memories of the Sword has already become a newsmaker by featuring LEE Byung-hun and JEON Do-yeon. It is a martial arts movie presenting the best swordwoman in Goryeo Dynasty, Seol-lang (played by JEON Do-yeon), and Duk-gi (LEE Byung-hun) from the lowest class, who is nonetheless aiming at the throne. It is to be directed by PARK Heung-sik of My Mother, the Mermaid (2004) and Bravo, My Life (2005).
Pirates (working title), which can be easily referenced as a Korean version of Pirates of the Caribbean, features KIM Nam-gil and SON Ye-jin and presents a story of a woman pirate and a bandit, going after a whale which has swallowed the royal seal of Ming. It is the fourth film of LEE Seok-hoon, whose filmography includes Dancing Queen and Two Faces of My Girlfriend (2007). TV mini-series director LEE Jae-kyu, whose TV works include Damo (The Undercover Lady Detective) and The King 2 Hearts, will attempt a screen debut with King’s Wrath, a thriller costume drama taking place around the assassin of King Jeong-jo in Joseon. The film will feature HYUN Bin, JUNG Jae-young and JO Jung-suk.  By TAE Sang-joon

Till we have English updates on this.. I think, Hyeopyeo have finalized its main casting with the addition of actors Lee Kyung Young and Bae Soo Bin.
So, there are now..
Lee Byung Hun Jeon Do Yeon Kim Go EunKim Tae WooJunhoLee Kyung Young Bae Soo Bin
Source: Nate
201309030848591110_1.jpg

September 2, 2013
2PM Lee Juno in cast of new historical film Memories of a sword
BNT News
[by Joy Kim] 2PM’s member Lee Jun ho who made impressive screen debut from Cold Eyes (2013), will be on same film with Hollywood star Lee Byung hun. 
The movie Memories of sword (tentatively translated) is a historical film and it will be directed by famous film director Park Heung sik. The story is about a female swordsman planning a revenge on a man who stole her daughter. As a skillful swords woman, she raises a secret weapon to assassinate the man who took everything from her. After 18 years, she finally gets a chance to pay back.   
Earlier on, the film’s casting result became an issue over the internet. Starting from top actor Lee Byung hun who will play the man who wishes to be a king, Canne Award winner actress Jeon Do yeon will play the heroine who seeks revenge. As Jeon’s secret weapon, actress Kim Go eun will play Sulhee.  
Lee Jun ho will play the young swordsman Yul, who wants success and falls in love with Sulhee in at first sight. For his character, he will portray a young man in love and show some actions.      
Meanwhile, Lee Jun ho’s first movie Cold Eyes (2013) reached 5,500,000 audiences and invited to Toronto International film festival (TIFF). He gained good reputation from the movie and proved his possibility in acting career. (photo by JYP Entertainment)  

2PM's Junho to star in "A Touch of Zen"
Source: Hancinema.net l Nate++
20130903_1378174153..JPG

2PM member Junho is starring in the Lee Byeong-Heon and Jeon Do-yeon movie "A Touch of Zen".
Lotte Entertainment claimed that Junho, Lee Kyeong-yeong, Kim Tae-woo and Bae Soo-bin are going to start filming early this month.
"A Touch of Zen" is a story of Seol-lang (Jeon Do-yeon) who hides her identity and raises her daughter Seol-hee (Kim Go-eun-I) as a secret weapon for revenge but reunites with Deok-gi (Lee Byeong-Heon) who desires the position of king.
Junho stars as an ambitious warrior named Yool. Lee Kyeong-yeong stars as Jon-bok, master to Deok-gi, Seol-lang and Poong-cheon and son of a very powerful man. Bae Soo-bin is Poong-cheon, a head of a group he put together with Deok-gi and Seol-lang.
Director Park Heung-sik has the megaphones this time.
"A Touch of Zen" is to be released next year.

Archived