Guys: Do You Pay For Dates?

Guest mickeyd

Guest lovehearts70

Traditionally, the men pays for dinner/dates, asks the girl out, buys engagement ring, proposes, pulls out the chair, opens the door, is the breadwinner.

In marriage Girls cook, clean, make dinner, manages bills, etc. 

But then again we live in a imperfect world. And the feminist movement happened. People get divorced. Love doesn't always work. Some people are gay. Some women makes more money or/and are more educated. etc...

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest soy.milk

speedredefined said: 87lena said:

if a guy can afford to have his wife be a homemaker, of course she should be one. children should spend their time with their parent, not dumped at a daycare. i used to volunteer for a while at a daycare, and trust me, after you have worked or volunteered at a daycare, you would never want to send your child there.

so, if the girl is agreeing to be a homemaker and leave her job, the guy should be happy that family comes first to her and be grateful that she's stepping down from her job to take care of the family. what i don't get is how some of you can complain that the wife isn't cooking top quality meals. like you gotta be kidding me, the girl is already sacrificing her job/career for her family, and all you can say is that her cooking "isn't top quality"? really now? at least shes learning how to be a homemaker.

I know many girls who didnt know how to do any house chores until they got married. Because their husband earned enough money, these girls can afford to be a homemaker amd decided that family comes first and they gave up their job/career and learned how to be a homemaker. the husbands were so happy and grateful to their wife. the cooking and other household chores weren't done topnotch because they were learning, but the husbands were grateful regardless.

I'm sorry but some of you men are so ungrateful. I feel sorry for your future wife who will give up her job/career for you and your family, and all you can do is complain about how her cooking "isn't top quality"

@87lena 

Startup costs are so low now it's perfectly feasibly to be of middle-class to upper middle-class background, and became rich.  The sillocone valley mints new millionaires every day.  
If you're in tech and you have a good idea, you just have to take it to Y Combinator.  They'll fund it, you have your team, when you go public you make multi-millions/billions.
Justin Kan has done it a few times to the tunes of millions.
Neither Jerry Yang or Tony Hsieh came from wealthy backgrounds or had a lot of money to start, they became billionaires.  Yang off 1 idea (Yahoo!), and Hsieh off 2 (LinkExchange, Zappos).  Zuckerberg, Sean Parker, Jeff Bezos all of these examples are recent (ideas started in the mid-90s, exploded in the 2000s).  
 If you have the smarts (all of the guys listed above went to Top American colleges), you should be fine.  Nowadays, you really just need an idea, and a couple other smart, trustworthy people who you should know if you went to an elite school anyways (1 Finance guy, a couple programmers)
@AJLee613

Wait, so if your husband was racking in big bucks like I said (where he got you a Manhattan penthouse), he's working at least 12 hours a day, stressed out.  You can't even go to the wharf to get a lobster, and put together more than a dish for him?  Because you "have to take care of the kids"?  Doing the laundry takes 1 hour, most of which is idle time, vacuuming the house might take 90 minutes if you're slow.   I'm sorry, but what were doing for the 6.5 hours while the kids were at school?    
He's giving you a first-class lifestyle and you can't even bother to cook him a first-class meal?  Nice, how considerate.  
@soymilk

Guest soy.milk

^ When I replied, I was thinking more of the time when the kids are still young (under 5-6 years old), and you were talking about 10 course meal with a fresh lobster that have been caught by myself and killed. But if you were just talking about making fresh lobster without the whole 10 course meal while the kids are at school, then yes I would assume that could be done.

And anyway, your idea of a Manhattan penthouse with a first-class lifestyle for the wife doesn’t apply to what I was talking about lol. That would generally mean that the wife isn’t even a typical housewife. She would have a housekeeper at least, right? She wouldn’t even have to the things that a typical middle-class housewife have to do every day (cooking, cleaning, etc.). That’s what I am assuming when you said “a Manhattan penthouse bought for the wife with a first-class lifestyle”. However, I’m talking about a typical middle-class family where the man goes to work and supports the family financially while the wife stays at home taking care of the house and kids without help from housekeepers.

Guest hearthealer

speedredefined said: 87lena said:

if a guy can afford to have his wife be a homemaker, of course she should be one. children should spend their time with their parent, not dumped at a daycare. i used to volunteer for a while at a daycare, and trust me, after you have worked or volunteered at a daycare, you would never want to send your child there.

so, if the girl is agreeing to be a homemaker and leave her job, the guy should be happy that family comes first to her and be grateful that she's stepping down from her job to take care of the family. what i don't get is how some of you can complain that the wife isn't cooking top quality meals. like you gotta be kidding me, the girl is already sacrificing her job/career for her family, and all you can say is that her cooking "isn't top quality"? really now? at least shes learning how to be a homemaker.

I know many girls who didnt know how to do any house chores until they got married. Because their husband earned enough money, these girls can afford to be a homemaker amd decided that family comes first and they gave up their job/career and learned how to be a homemaker. the husbands were so happy and grateful to their wife. the cooking and other household chores weren't done topnotch because they were learning, but the husbands were grateful regardless.

I'm sorry but some of you men are so ungrateful. I feel sorry for your future wife who will give up her job/career for you and your family, and all you can do is complain about how her cooking "isn't top quality"

@87lena 

I worked for a major software company, and coming from a decent school with a strong STEM program, I have quite a few friends that work at startups, and other major software companies.  So what I'm getting isn't from "reading articles", and how you would get that idea from what I wrote I would have no idea (if you've "founded" startups, what I wrote should be standard knowledge).  
Why would an investor throw down money on your company, if they already have millions in these other companies that u are trying to takeover? 

You realize that major software companies throw hundreds of millions of dollars into investing into other companies, right?  I have a friend who flies around for a major tech company who just advises them on whether they should acquire another company or not.  You do it simply for the fact that it adds to your assets.  You, individually want to be a diversified investor, major corporations are no different, hence they have large, diversified portfolios .  
For those reading this not from a finance/tech background, to give you an idea, simply look up the vast number of companies Microsoft owns or partly owns, their portfolio is gigantic. 
not only that, once you get it off the ground the various road blocks are there with high incentive to sell it off. 

i'd like to give u solid examples but due to confidentiality agreements and other types of NDA stuff, i cannot. but let me tell you.

If you have a tech idea, particularly software related that investors have a strong feeling will bring profit, you can get investment money behind it from Y Combinator.  Getting the idea is no easy feat, but if the idea is profitable, the money comes quick in silicone valley - anyone who has worked for a tech company in the silicone valley will tell you this.   
Again, like I mentioned prior, people from Y Combinator will cut you a cheque to get you going.  There are various other companies like this.  Google use to basically have versions of "open mic" nights, where you had a couple minutes to either pitch them an idea to improve Google or an interesting tech idea that'll intrigue them.  
(I'm assuming there are a lot of Chinese/Taiwanese-American students at top colleges who browse this forum.  The majority of startups are founded by Chinese/Taiwanese and White/Jewish dudes in the science/engineering fields, they've probably been to hackathons where they got to put their ideas into action).  
And I never said "the idea" was easy.  I said startup costs in tech are way less costly than in other businesses due to low overhead (you can program in your dorm room or your parent's basement), so starting up is easy.  And if the idea is there, funding from companies like Y Combinator will follow.    Add a team of smart, motivated coworkers (if you come from a good school, you'll know a few), and you'll see why there's a reason Silicone Valley mints so many batches of new millionaires.  

Guest severus

If you have a tech idea, particularly software related that investors have a strong feeling will bring profit, you can get investment money behind it from Y Combinator. Getting the idea is no easy feat, but if the idea is profitable, the money comes quick in silicone valley - anyone who has worked for a tech company in the silicone valley will tell you this.

Again, like I mentioned prior, people from Y Combinator will cut you a cheque to get you going. There are various other companies like this. Google use to basically have versions of "open mic" nights, where you had a couple minutes to either pitch them an idea to improve Google or an interesting tech idea that'll intrigue them

Companies like Y Combinator provide investor networks and guidance, but if I remember correctly, the success rate is pretty damn low for YC. Out of the companies that actually secure venture capital, an extremely small % actually make it...out of all the ideas that investors deemed worthy of dumping millions into. For the founders of the startup, the startup's typically the primary source of livelihood. For those investing and making money from money however....it's one of their countless revenue streams.

Yes there are outliers, typically those are the ones you would witness working in Silicon Valley.

I think girls should pay for dates, I mean how hard have people fought in the past for men and women to have equal rights, so you should pay equally too ^_^

Guest dolcedor.

I think it should be 50/50, but my boyfriend insists on paying most of the time. He's very insistent when it comes to paying, and it also doesn't help that when the waitress comes back with the cheque, they tend to automatically give it to him without checking with either of us. I think there's definitely a social expectation for guys to pay.

I honestly wouldn't mind paying more often - maybe 60/40 or even 70/30 - because I do have more disposable income than him. But I think he likes paying for me because he likes that aspect of being a provider. At the end of the day, it's not a huge deal to me as long as he lets me pick up the cheque from time to time.

Guest hearthealer

dolcedor. said: I think it should be 50/50, but my boyfriend insists on paying most of the time. He's very insistent when it comes to paying, and it also doesn't help that when the waitress comes back with the cheque, they tend to automatically give it to him without checking with either of us. I think there's definitely a social expectation for guys to pay.

I honestly wouldn't mind paying more often - maybe 60/40 or even 70/30 - because I do have more disposable income than him. But I think he likes paying for me because he likes that aspect of being a provider. At the end of the day, it's not a huge deal to me as long as he lets me pick up the cheque from time to time.

• 4 months later...

Archived