Lee Soon & Jang Ok Jung Couple Thread

JulieSean

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear SBS,

(Korean translation at the bottom)

We are international fans of Jang Ok Jung, Live in Love (JOJLIL). Our place of hang out is at soompi forum. To name some of the countries we are from, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippine, indonesia, New York - USA, and many more.

Many were skeptical when they start watching JOJLIL. We have doubts about the main casts pairing, we have doubts whether the drama can really deliver a fresh angle to a story that's been retold so many times. Many too, only started watching out of curiosity.

But, we were all hooked a few minutes into the first episode. The main leads, delivered such great chemistry, we all can't wait to see how their love will developed.

Kim Tae Hee (KTH), brought us a new Jang Ok Jung (JOJ). An intelligent, brave, full of hope, sensitive, gracious, nothing can take her spirit down. Despite her low status, she survived all obstacles and always held her head high. Her one dream, to bring her mother out off slave status kept her going.

Yoo Ah In (YAI), was praised by many for his portrayal of Lee Soon (LS). The crown prince, true to his people. Smart, perceptive, manipulative, and always one step ahead of his enemies. Constantly fighting off pressure from corrupt ministers. LS always put his royal duties first, despite his personal feelings. Every move he made was to wrangle power so that he has more control governing his people, and giving them a better life.

Fateful meeting after fateful meeting, their love story line developed. We fans anxiously waiting each mondays to come. No more “I hate Mondays” after we all discover our gem drama JOJLIL. We were so taken by their epic love.

All the skeptics in us were proven wrong. YAI delivered great acting, KTH win praises from people who have doubted and criticise her acting skill. The chemistry between the two was sizzling. The promise of JOJ re-interpretation spot on.

Obstacles after obstacles, their love pulled through. They stayed true to their feelings, and their characters. We couldn’t wait to see where their love story will take us.

Although the drama kept delivering great performance, yet ratings in korea stayed low. But, we international fans, can't have enough of the drama. Unfortunately, our voice doesn't count in the ratings.

But when ep 15 aired where she poisoned herself, all of us were shocked. JOJ did something so out of character and stupid, we couldn't believe it. Fans was so upset, forum was filled with disbelief. Many stopped watching.

No fans can believe, the intelligent JOJ, the one all of us admire and love in ep 1-14 can pull something so stupid. When ep 16 aired, the situation improved somewhat. Fans started to return, with the hope that the worst is behind us. That our complaint about JOJ’s unbelievable sudden stupidity were heard.

In ep 17, the birth of baby yoon, it was simply the best scene. It was perfectly acted, great writing, directing. That scene restored our faith in the drama. Ep 18 aired. We couldn't be happier.

LS, outsmarted all the ministers, OJ persevered, and their fights paid off. It's the JOJ and LS we know and fell in love with in ep 1-14. they are back.

As we again eagerly waited for monday to return, spoiler and stills for ep 19 and 20 devastated our hope.

Forum became the one place for us fans to voice out our disappointment. Not only we were fooled by the promised of re-interpretation, but, we were angry, that to justify the story line back to match what happened in history, the intelligent JOJ we know, were reduced to a deranged, unreasonable, incomprehensible behavior, out of baseless jealousy. There were no re-interpretation, it's the same depiction of JOJ, crazy, power hunger, as shown in previous dramas depicting JOJ.

Lame problems created out of thin air, to justify the ending. There's no truer description to what happened to OJ in ep 19-20 other then character assassination.

The writer presented us, with this strong JOJ. But, in the end, the writer, killed what she created and diminish it to nothing. With the latest character developments, it is an insult to the viewers and fans alike.

In early ep, LS was characterized as one man woman, JOJ was his love, his life, he would throw the throne for her, he sacrificed his life for OJ by throwing himself in front of the horse. When Yoon was born, LS had it all. Control of the palace, the woman he love by his side, and their love child as his heir. We were all swooned by his strong love.

Again, to justify the history line, LS supposedly just took the insecurities in JOJ and did nothing. He supposedly just watched and even distanced himself, when OJ went nutty and her actions mirroring those who tortured her in the past.

Some fans even chucked that the only acceptable reason behind the sudden inexplicable change of the strong JOJ we love, that aliens has possessed and took control of her body. Same goes with LS.

Fans of Jae Hee waited anxiously for his appearance on the show. After a 6 episode delay from what was originally planned, more disapointment awaits, his role of 2nd leading man, the other love interest of OJ disappeared. A major character in JOJLIL or so the promotion said, his role not only became so insignificant, due to lack of screen time, but was also confusing and inconsistent. Chi Soo (CS), whose supposedly returned with a vengeance and to win JOJ back, turned his back on JOJ and support the deposed Queen In Hyeon to bring JOJ down. Turning from 2nd love interest to the antagonist.

And why? Because CS wanted to run away with JOJ and she refused? Does the writer think that she can even run away without LS's men hunting them down? Their family clan would be executed! A king's woman will always be a king's woman. Any idiot knows that. Especially when she just gave birth to Yoon. So how can the writer make the character of CS so dense? So is his role another victim of alien invasion? And a total waste of talent of Jae Hee’s calibre.

Forum still flooded with ranting of disappointment and full anger. Please come check it out yourself.

Hallyu wave hit the world, we international fans, want our voice to be heard too. We want the JOJ and LS we love back. We want their characters restored.

But, please do note, that, even though we are crazy mad about the story going down to crazy land. We can't heap enough praise in KTH and YAI acting. Even with the crazy script, they still deliver the performance of their life.

We were planning to petition writer and director of the drama, demanding they stopped butchering our drama, and to bring back OJ and LS characters. But, with only two more weeks to go, we are afraid, we will not have time to have our voices heard, when it still matters.

The production team have so much going for them. The chemistry of YAI and KTH was out of this world It was supposed to be re-interpretation. Or so we thought. They started out so well. Hooked everybody in so deep, then butchered everything so thoroughly, none can recognize the characters now left standing. Aliens?

Please, help us convey our voices. Many of us, were prepared to promote JOJ to our local tv station, to have them buy the rights to air it in our country. But, that's all on hold now.

And it ‘s not just the fans at soompi who are going crazy over where this train wreck is headed for, even Baidu forum (from China) has everyone up in arms over the irrational character developments. They have more than 3000+ over threads on JOJ. They have the exact same sentiments as us at soompi.

Thank you, if you need anything else from us, please do not hesitate to contact any of us at soompi forum, JOJ thread.

Regards,

On behalf joj international fans @soompi

Amilia @ratgirlina, @juliesean, @pelicancharm, @dreamdoll, @princessme2515, @rosesinbloom, @ohoheli, @briseis, @seagafanlady and manymore

Ps. We will post this letter to sbs joj board.

Korean translation.

안녕하세요,

우리는 soompi 포럼에서 활동하고 있으며 <장옥정, 사랑에 살다>를 사랑하는 외국인 팬클럽입니다. 우리 팬클럽 구성원의 국적은 말레이시아, 싱가포르, 필리핀, 인도네시아, 미국 뉴욕 등 매우 다양합니다.

<장옥정, 사랑에 살다>를 시청하기 시작했을 무렵에는 회의적인 시선이 많았습니다. 남녀 주연 배우의 캐스팅도 의심스러웠고 이미 여러 차례 드라마로 제작된 바 있는 이야기를 새로운 시각으로 조명할 수 있을까 하는 의구심도 들었습니다. 물론 단순한 호기심으로 드라마를 보기 시작한 사람도 많았죠.

그러나 1회가 시작되고 불과 몇 분도 채 지나지 않아 모두 드라마에 푹 빠지고 말았습니다. 남녀 주연 배우가 보여준 환상적인 연기 호흡을 보면서 우리는 두 사람이 어떻게 사랑을 키워갈지 궁금해 안달이 날 지경이었어요.

김태희씨는 전혀 새로운 장옥정의 모습을 완벽하게 소화해냈습니다. 김태희씨가 열연한 장옥정은 지적이고 용감하며 희망차고 감수성이 풍부하며 관대하면서도 무엇으로도 무너뜨릴 수 없는 불굴의 의지를 지닌 여인이었습니다. 천한 신분에도 불구하고 장옥정은 모든 난관을 극복해내면서 살아남았고 당당함을 잃지 않았습니다. 장옥정은 어머니를 노비 신분에서 구하겠다는 일념으로 모든 역경을 꿋꿋하게 헤쳐나갔습니다.

유아인씨는 이순을 리얼하게 연기해 호평을 받았습니다. 백성을 진심으로 아끼는 세자는 총명하고 통찰력이 있으며 능수능란하고 적들보다 항상 한 발짝 앞서가는 매력적인 인물입니다. 부패한 대소신료들의 압박에 굴하지 않고 꿋꿋하게 맞서 싸웁니다. 이순은 사사로운 감정을 절제하고 임금으로서의 책무를 무엇보다 앞세우는 인물입니다. 이순이 하는 행동은 모두 신료들을 제압하고 권력을 쟁취해 백성을 잘 다스리고 그들의 생활을 더 나아지게 하기 위한 것입니다.

운명적인 만남이 여러 차례 이어지면서 남녀 주인공의 러브 라인이 발전해나갔습니다. <장옥정, 사랑에 살다>를 사랑하는 우리들은 월요일이 오기만을 초조하게 기다렸습니다. <장옥정, 사랑에 살다>라는 멋진 드라마를 알게 된 뒤에는 “월요일이 싫어”라는 말을 하는 사람이 사라졌습니다. 남녀 주인공의 위대한 사랑 이야기가 우리 마음을 사로잡았던 것입니다. 처음에 품었던 회의적인 시각은 기우에 불과했다는 사실이 분명해졌습니다. 유아인씨의 연기는 훌륭했고 김태희씨도 연기력이 부족하다는 그간의 혹평을 딛고 훌륭한 연기를 보여주었다는 찬사를 받았습니다. 남녀 주인공의 사랑은 뜨겁게 타올랐습니다. 장옥정을 재해석해 보여주겠다는 약속이 지켜진 것입니다.

남녀 주인공은 많은 난관을 헤치고 나가면서 사랑을 키워갔습니다. 자기 감정에 솔직한 남녀 주인공의 캐릭터는 정말 사실적이었습니다. 두 사람의 러브 라인이 어디까지 갈 것인지 궁금해서 미칠 지경이었어요.

<장옥정, 사랑에 살다>는 좋은 드라마였지만 한국에서의 시청률은 저조했습니다. 그러나 외국인 팬들은 <장옥정, 사랑에 살다>에 뜨거운 성원을 보내고 있습니다. 외국인 팬들의 반응이 시청률에 반영되지 않는 사실이 안타까울 뿐입니다.

그런데 자기 목숨을 걸고 중전을 모함하는 내용이 방송된 15회를 보고 우리 모두는 충격에 빠졌습니다. 장옥정이 한 짓은 캐릭터에도 맞지 않을 뿐 아니라 어리석은 짓이었기에 우리는 우리 눈을 의심하지 않을 수 없었어요. 팬들은 당황했고 포럼은 불신감을 토로하는 글로 채워졌습니다. 시청을 중단한 팬들도 많았습니다.

1화부터 14화까지의 장옥정은 지적인 인물이었고 우리는 그런 장옥정을 사랑하고 존경했습니다. 그런데 그런 장옥정이 15회에서 그렇게 어리석은 짓을 저지르다니 도저히 믿을 수 없었습니다. 16화에서는 상황이 개선되는 듯 했습니다. 최악의 상황은 다 지나간 것이기를 바라면서 팬들이 하나 둘 돌아오기 시작했습니다. 장옥정의 난데 없는 어리석은 행동에 대한 팬들의 불만이 제작진의 귀에 들어간 것 같았습니다. 17화에서 장옥정이 아들 이윤을 낳았습니다. 정말 최고의 장면이었어요. 연기는 완벽했고 대본은 훌륭했으며 연출도 탁월했습니다. 덕분에 팬들의 믿음이 되살아났지요. 18화를 본 팬들은 더 없는 행복감을 맛보았습니다.

이순이 대소신료들보다 한 수 위였음이 확인되었고 장옥정은 인내로 어려운 시기를 이겨냈습니다. 두 사람의 투쟁은 결실을 맺었습니다. 1화에서 14화를 거치면서 사랑을 키워나갔던 바로 그 이순과 장옥정이 팬들의 곁으로 돌아왔던 것입니다. 팬들은 다시 월요일을 기다리기 시작했습니다. 하지만 19화와 20화 예고편은 팬들의 기대를 산산이 무너뜨렸습니다. 포럼은 <장옥정, 사랑에 살다>에 대한 실망감을 표현하는 장이 되었습니다. 팬들은 장옥정을 재해석하겠다는 약속에 속았습니다. 게다가 제작진은 역사적 사실에 부합하는 이야기 전개를 정당화하는 말을 늘어놓았죠. 팬들은 분노하지 않을 수 없었습니다. 우리가 알고 있던 지적인 장옥정은 온데간데 없고 권력에 눈이 멀고 근거 없는 질투심에 사로잡힌 채 비합리적인 생각에 몰두하면서 납득할 수 없는 행동을 자행하는 인물만이 남아있었습니다. 바로 과거의 드라마들이 보여주었던 장옥정의 모습 말입니다.

결말을 정당화하기 위해 설득력이 부족한 설정이 난데 없이 등장한 것입니다. 19화와 20화에 등장한 장옥정의 모습을 보면서 캐릭터 죽이기라는 생각을 지울 수 없었습니다.

맨 처음 작가는 우리에게 강인한 장옥정의 모습을 보여주었습니다. 하지만 결말에 이르러서는 자기가 창조한 인물을 아무 것도 아닌 인물로 격하시키면서 죽여버렸습니다. 자기가 창조한 인물을 그렇게 만들었다는 사실은 시청자와 팬들을 모독하는 행위나 다름 없는 일입니다.

드라마 초반 이순은 자기가 일생을 걸고 사랑한 한 여인, 즉 장옥정의 남자였습니다. 이순은 장옥정을 위해서라면 왕위도 버릴 수 있었고 어떠한 희생도 감수할 수 있는 인물이었습니다. 그리고 이윤이 태어나면서 이순은 모든 것을 이루게 되었습니다. 대소신료들에 대한 통제권을 틀어쥐었고 사랑하는 여인, 장차 보위를 이을 세자와 더불어 살아갈 수 있게 되었기 때문입니다. 두 사람의 굳건한 사랑이 너무 황홀해 기절할 지경이었어요.

그러나 역사적 사실에 부합하는 이야기를 전개하려 하다 보니 이순 역시 장옥정을 불신하게 될 것으로 보입니다. 이순 역시 결국 원래의 캐릭터를 잃어버리게 되겠죠. 추악해져 가는 장옥정, 과거 자기를 괴롭혔던 사람들이 자기에게 한 악행을 고스란히 반복하는 장옥정의 모습을 그저 멀찌감치서 바라보며 방관하게 될 것으로 보입니다.

일부 팬들은 자포자기하는 심정으로 우리가 사랑했던 강인한 장옥정이 귀신에 홀리지 않고서야 그렇게 갑작스레 돌변할 수는 없는 것이라고 토로하기도 합니다. 이순 역시 귀신에 홀리지 않고서야 그렇게 갑작스레 돌변할 수는 없는 것이겠지요.

재희씨 팬들은 재희씨가 등장하기만을 오매불망 기다렸습니다. 재희씨는 원래 등장하기로 계획되어있던 것보다 무려 6화나 늦게 드라마에 모습을 드러냈죠. 하지만 재희가 장옥정을 사랑하는 한 남자로서 비중 있는 남자 조연으로서의 역할을 다하리라는 팬들의 기대는 산산이 무너졌습니다. <장옥정, 사랑에 살다>의 주요 등장인물이라는 홍보 내용과는 다르게 재희씨가 맡은 역할은 등장이 늦어지고 분량이 축소되면서 지나치게 초라한 인물로 격하되어 버렸습니다. 게다가 일관성 없는 행동으로 시청자들의 혼란만 가중시키는 인물이 되었어요. 장옥정을 되찾고 복수를 하기 위해 돌아온 인물인 것으로 보였지만 결국 치수는 장옥정에게 등을 돌리고 폐서인이 된 인현왕후와 결탁해 장옥정을 끌어내리려 합니다. 장옥정을 사랑하는 비중 있는 남자 조연에서 장옥정에 맞서는 적수로 돌변한 것입니다.

왜 그랬을까요? 장옥정과 함께 도망치려 했으나 장옥정이 거부했기 때문에 그런 건가요? 장옥정이 도망치면 이순이 사람을 풀어 장옥정을 찾으리라는 사실을 작가는 정말 모르는 것일까요? 한번 왕의 여인이 된 여인은 영원히 왕의 여인입니다. 게다가 장옥정은 이윤의 생모이기도 하지요. 바보라도 그런 사실을 알 겁니다. 작가는 도대체 무슨 생각으로 치수를 바보도 알만한 사실조차 모르는 멍청이로 만들었을까요? 치수도 귀신에 홀려버린 또 다른 희생자란 말입니까? 그저 재희씨의 재능과 연기력이 아까울 뿐입니다.

포럼은 실망감과 분노를 표출하는 팬들로 여전히 시끌시끌합니다. 한번 와서 확인해보셨으면 합니다.

한류 물결이 세계를 강타하면서 많은 외국인 팬들이 생겨났습니다. 우리 외국인 팬들은 우리의 의견도 반영되기를 바라는 마음입니다. 우리가 사랑했던 장옥정과 이순이 돌아오기를 바랍니다. 남녀 주인공이 본래의 캐릭터를 되찾았으면 좋겠습니다. 그러나 이야기가 산으로 가고 있다 해도, 그래서 미쳐버릴 것만 같다 해도, 김태희씨와 유아인씨, 두 주연 배우의 연기에는 아무런 불만이 없다는 것만은 부디 기억해주시기를 바랍니다. 두 사람의 연기는 너무 훌륭해서 아무리 칭찬해도 부족한 형편입니다. 대본은 미쳐가고 있지만 두 연기자는 장옥정과 이순으로 완벽하게 분한 탁월한 연기를 보여주고 있습니다.

드라마 작가와 드라마 연출에게 드라마를 더 이상 망치지 말아달라고, 우리가 사랑했던 장옥정과 이순을 돌려달라고 호소해왔습니다. 하지만 이제 2주 밖에 남지 않은 상황에서 우리의 의견이 반영될 시간이 없을 것이라는 생각이 들어 아쉽습니다.

처음에는 제작진이 정말 드라마를 잘 만들었다고 생각합니다. 유아인씨와 김태희씨, 두 주연 배우의 연기 호흡은 이 세상 사람이 아닌 듯 정말 환상적이었습니다. 그리고 장희빈 이야기를 다룬 기존의 드라마들과는 분명 차별화된 재해석을 보여주었습니다. 아니 적어도 우리들은 그렇다고 생각했습니다. 드라마에 푹 빠져서 헤어나오지 못했죠. 그런데 어느 순간 완전히 망해버렸습니다. 드라마 초반에 등장했던 매력적인 캐릭터는 온데간데 없이 사라지고 귀신에 쓰인 것 같은 요상한 캐릭터만 남게 되었습니다.

부디 우리 의견에 귀 기울여 주시기 바랍니다. <장옥정, 사랑에 살다>를 열렬히 응원하는 우리 외국인 팬들은 고국의 방송국에 <장옥정, 사랑에 살다> 판권을 확보해 고국에서 방영해달라고 요구할 마음의 준비가 되어 있었습니다. 하지만 드라마 내용이 산으로 가고 있는 이상 일단은 그런 생각을 보류한 상태입니다.

soompi 포럼의 외국인 팬 말고도 드라마가 산으로 가고 있다는 사실에 마음이 상한 외국인 팬은 많습니다. (중국의) Baidu 포럼의 팬들도 캐릭터가 비합리적으로 변해가는 모습을 보면서 실망을 금치 못하고 있습니다. Baidu 포럼의 경우 장옥정 관련 스레드가 2천 건이 넘습니다. 그리고 거기 올라오는 의견은 대체로 soompi 포럼의 외국인 팬들이 가진 의견과 비슷합니다.

끝까지 읽어주셔서 감사합니다. 우리 의견이 필요하시다면 언제라도 soompi forum, JOJ thread의 아무에게나 부담 없이 연락주세요.

<장옥정, 사랑에 살다> 외국인 팬 일동 @soompi

ratgirlina said:

I am calm enough. I am determined i will watched and will try to stream live last ep. Lagging as it will. I will not missed kth and yai acting for anything.

Will broke my heart to pieces. But gonna enjoy it anyway

I can't, i haven't worked up my courage to watch Ep20 !

@juliesean

Oh, i am skipping all ep in between. Just gonna watch last ep. It will be epic in tragic.

@PeggyTan So you were the one with the "alien" comment that set of world war 2 ! LOL
Same here. I keep procrastinating on my work and everyone is chasing me for stuff. URGH!!!!
All I do is park myself at this thread and feel depressed over our OTP !

Guest dreamdoll

ratgirlina said:

JulieSean

wrote:

»

ratgirlina said:<br />

I am calm enough. I am determined i will watched and will try to stream live last ep. Lagging as it will. I will not missed kth and yai acting for anything.<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Will broke my heart to pieces. But gonna enjoy it anyway<br />

<br />

<br />

I can't, i haven't worked up my courage to watch Ep20 !

Guest Peggy Tan

I was never a fan of KTH & YAI until this drama...I didn't see YAI potential in Fashion King back then. Watched Stairway to Heaven & remembered KTH in it as the evil sister or something, both previously leave little impression on me. Only in this drama I noticed how beautiful they both are & amazing chemistry...will love to see both them in modern drama...

Peggy Tan said: I was never a fan of KTH & YAI until this drama...I didn't see YAI potential in Fashion King back then. Watched Stairway to Heaven & remembered KTH in it as the evil sister or something, both previously leave little impression on me. Only in this drama I noticed how beautiful they both are & amazing chemistry...will love to see both them in modern drama...

Guest maxga

Peggy Tan said: I was never a fan of KTH & YAI until this drama...I didn't see YAI potential in Fashion King back then. Watched Stairway to Heaven & remembered KTH in it as the evil sister or something, both previously leave little impression on me. Only in this drama I noticed how beautiful they both are & amazing chemistry...will love to see both them in modern drama...

Archived