[Drama 2013] Answer Me 1994 / Reply 1994 응답하라 1994

StaRix

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ko Ah-ra in "Answer Me 1994"

Source | 2013/06/20 |

photo320328.jpg

Actress Ko Ah-ra has been cast as the leading character in the upcoming tvN drama "Answer Me 1994".

Sports Hanguk reported that the negotiation looks positive although the contract hasn't been signed yet".

SM Entertainment also claimed the same thing.

"Answer Me 1994" is another season of the drama "Answer to 1997" from last year. It is highly expected by many as the first one was a great success. Based in a home-stay house where people from all over the country reside, it is to deal with various social matters like Seo Taiji, the American World Cup, basketball and more. Ko Ah-ra takes on the role of the daughter of the home-stay owner.

Source : news.nate.com/view/20... ( Korean )

http://www.hancinema.net/ko-ah-ra-in-answer-me-1994-57372.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

tvN tweeted this but Google translation isn't reliable at all. I can't still understand it. Hope someone could translate it. It's about Reply 1994.  :-/

tvN DRAMA ‏@CJnDrama7m

전국 각지에서 상경한 대학생들의 눈물나는 적응기! 가장 유력히 이야기 되고 있는 고아라-정우-유연석-김성균, 이 네 분이 어떻게 그려질지 2013년 가을, 응답해볼까요? <응답하라 1994> 커밍 순:)http://twitpic.com/cyb5o8 

783221624.jpg?1371794992

https://twitter.com/CJnDrama

Guest jjsweeter0211

DRAMA CASTING & NEWS
Go Ara and Yoo Yeon-seok headline Answer Me 1994 cast

by girlfriday | June 21, 2013 |

GoAra_YooYeonSeok1.jpg

Finally, some movement on Answer Me 1994, otherwise known as the follow-up drama to last year’s huge cable hit Answer Me 1997. Casting is in full swing with offers out to Go Ara (Heading to the Ground) and Yoo Yeon-seok (Gu Family Book) to star. But here’s my question: Are you still going to insist on going with Basketballopalooza, or have we learned from our mistakes?

It seems they have, because everyone’s back to calling it Answer Me 1994 for now. What I’m most excited about is that the drama will be set on a college campus, which YAY. Why don’t people make college dramas anymore? Where are the Neukkims of dramaland? What’s great about it is that college dramas were all the rage in 1994, so making one now set in that era seems like the perfect pop culture homage that the 1997 team is so good at.

Jung-woo, aka You’re the Best, Lee Soon-shin’s Bread Man, and movie actor Kim Sung-kyun (Covertly Grandly) will round out the leading foursome. Along with Yoo Yeon-seok, they’ll be three boys from Kyungsangdo who room together at a boarding house while attending a university in Seoul.

JungWoo_KimSungKyun1.jpg

Sung Dong-il and Lee Il-hwa (1997′s awesome Mom and Dad pair) run the boarding house where the boys live, and Go Ara will play their daughter. Cute. So basically, it’s like the sitcom Three Men Three Women, crossed with Neukkim/Feelings and Answer Me 1997. All things I love.

It’s been a while since Go Ara has done a drama (since 2009′s Heading to the Ground and 2008′s Who Are You), but she can be good depending on the role. I see her fitting a bygone-era youth drama with no problem, and as long as her character’s got spunk, which is thankfully almost a given with this writer, I think we’re good. Yoo Yeon-seok has been great in a streak of high-profile, popular projects, from Introduction to Architecture to A Werewolf Boy, and despite his character going nowhere in Gu Family Book, he’s been good in the role. Bread Man Jin-wook is just awesome, so I can’t wait for more hilarity from him.

I had my worries, but the project seems to be shaping up okay. I don’t know that it can recreate the lightning in a bottle that was 1997, but as a cute campus comedy it sounds promising. The cast still has to finalize and sign on the dotted line, but according to the PD, it sounds like they’re a lock.

Answer Me 1994 starts shooting in July for a September broadcast on tvN.

Via TV Report

Guest iheartyou1518

class="entry-title" style="margin: 0px 0px 20px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 2.4em; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: inherit; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); line-height: 1.375;"B1A4 Baro to Join “Reply 1997” Season 2Posted on 2013/06/21 by Kang Jung Yeon in TV with 0 Comments

B1A4 BARO

Korean boy group B1A4 member Baro has been cast in the second season of popular series “Reply 1997.”

Baro will be acting in tvN drama “Reply 1994” [translated title] alongside Korean actress Go Ara, actor Jung Woo, actor Yoo Yeon-seok and actor Kim Sung-kyun, B1A4′s agency WM Entertainment told TenAsia on Friday.

“Reply 1997,” which was on air from July to September 2012, featured teenagers living in the city of Busan and showed the fan culture that emerged in the ’90s when first-generation idol groups such as H.O.T. and Sechs Kies were popular.

However, the upcoming show will be set in Seoul and will show main characters who were born in different parts of Korea yet are living in Seoul, an official with the show’s producer CJ E&M said.

The drama, set to premiere in September, will go into shoot after wrapping up casting by early July, the official added.

Reporter. Kang Jung Yeon atoz@tenasia.co.kr
Photographer. Chae Ki Won

Editor. Jessica Kim

cr: tenasia.com

Thanks for the updates @jjsweeter0211 and @iheartyou1518! :-bdI'm glad that they are now giving us some news about the casts and what would be the story of the drama. It seems comical too, like Reply 1997, since it would be set in a college campus. Now we have 5 more casts, aside from the "parents". :)
@Miky88Agree! I believe it will be very interesting.

I'm also curious if they're gonna do "flashbacking" again, like what they did on Reply 1997. If it would start in a Highschool/College Reunion too. Well in July, they will start filming the drama. Excited for the script reading! :Dexcited-gif-06.gif

Tiny-G's Dohee has confirmed that she will indeed feature in the spin off of the hit tvN drama, 'Reply 1997', 'Reply 1994'! 

Tiny-G notified fans over Twitter as they wrote, "Have you all heard the good news?? Tiny-G's Dohee will be featuring on 'Reply 1994'!!! Please look forward to 'Reply 1994', the sequel to 'Reply 1997'!!!", along with a gorgeous selca of the member.

As mentioned before, 'Reply 1997's Shin Won Ho PD and writer Lee Woo Jung will team up once again for the sequel to the hit drama, 'Reply 1994'.Go Ara is currently intalks to play the lead role of the daughter of Sung Dong Il - Lee Il Hwa's boarding house, while Jung Woo, Yoo Yun Suk, and Kim Sung Kyun will play the college students living in the dorm. Others who are said to have been cast for the dramainclude B1A4's Baro and actor Son Ho Joon.

'Reply 1994' will begin filming next month and air this coming September! 

CR:ALLKPOP

SUPER.NANA

said:

Tiny-G's Dohee has confirmed that she will indeed feature in the spin off of the hit tvN drama, 'Reply 1997', 'Reply 1994'! 

Tiny-G notified fans over Twitter as they wrote, "Have you all heard the good news?? Tiny-G's Dohee will be featuring on 'Reply 1994'!!! Please look forward to 'Reply 1994', the sequel to 'Reply 1997'!!!", along with a gorgeous selca of the member.

As mentioned before, 'Reply 1997's Shin Won Ho PD and writer Lee Woo Jung will team up once again for the sequel to the hit drama, 'Reply 1994'.Go Ara is currently intalks to play the lead role of the daughter of Sung Dong Il - Lee Il Hwa's boarding house, while Jung Woo, Yoo Yun Suk, and Kim Sung Kyun will play the college students living in the dorm. Others who are said to have been cast for the dramainclude B1A4's Baro and actor Son Ho Joon.

'Reply 1994' will begin filming next month and air this coming September! 

CR:ALLKPOP

laquetahodge

said: I'm excited for the cast, I have been reading that many are worried about Go Ara's role in this drama. Some are worried about the ratings since she's not exactly a person who can pull them in and her acting has been questioned within the last 10 years. If this doesn't do well then her agency, SM, will be blamed for the drama tanking. I really do hope it does well and receives positive attention. 

@laquetahodgeYeah, I'm not sure why they are blaming the agency. It has nothing to do with them, it still depends on the actor/actress. I read they gone through several auditions for the role, so I think she's now better. I believe the production would not insist her to be the lead if she didn't show something good on the auditions. But I think it's still depend on the story. As long as the script is consistently good, then the drama's fine. And the director and writer are really good! They made AM1997 perfectly fine though both of the lead actors didn't have much experience in acting.BTW, while reading the comments on dramabeans, I notice they brought up a lot of names to compare to her, or just to say their thoughts... They compared her to Sooyoung as our MY, then PSH, Yoona, Shin Se Kyung, Suzy, Lee Yeon Hee and Yuri. Had fun reading their arguments... hahaha ;))

Go Ah-Ra likely to join drama ′Reply 1994′
829259_0_500681_54256.jpg

The cast for 'Reply 1994', which is the sequel to the hit drama 'Reply 1997', has been confirmed. 
On June 21, director Shin Won-Ho said, "We are currently in talks with Go Ah-Ra, Jung Woo, Yoo Yeon-Suk, and Kim Sung-Kyun. Although they have not signed a contract yet, they will likely feature unless something major comes up."
He said, "I will discover charms and attractiveness from actress Go Ah-Ra that have never been exposed before. Jung Woo, Yoo Yeon-Suk, and Kim Sung-Kyun are the actors who received a lot of praise for their previous works and I believe they are the right ones for the cast."
In addition, B1A4's Baro, Tiny-G's Min Do-Hee, actor Son Ho-Joon will be joining the cast. 
Meanwhile, 'Reply 1994' will follow various cultural events in 1994, including the emergence of K-pop group Seo Taiji and Boys, and the Korean Basketball League. The story will begin in an university dorm where students from all over the nation come together.
Source : Asia Today

I know Go Ah Ra isn't the best k-actress. She actually received criticisms on her skills. But I believe Director Shin will bring the best out of her. He is a really good director. He can prove them wrong. GO DIRECTOR SHIN! :-bd
Shin_Won-Ho_-_director-p1.jpg

Guest jamaatunrohmah

Don't really interested to the casts, but I believe the writer and the PD will bring the best out of them to make their characters alive. I am in for this drama. :D

Guest jamaatunrohmah

Hi @jamaatunrohmah! :-hWelcome to our thread! Agree on what you said! He's a great director. He brought out the acting skills of the lead actors of AM1997 though they're both newbies on acting, and they started as idols. So I believe he can do that to Go Ah Ra as well. :)

Thanks for a warm welcome. Exactly. Answer Me 1997 / Reply 1997 is what makes me believe in Reply 1994. :)

Guest jjsweeter0211

class="cb b15" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 15px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; line-height: 30px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; letter-spacing: -0.5px; clear: both; "“Reply 1994” Cast Set For Fun Nostalgic Drama

Yoo Yeon Sook
Go Ara

When "Reply 1994" airs in the fall, viewers may be surprised at how much of it seems familiar. Not only will the tvN show recycle at least part of the formula that worked so well for their hit "Reply 1997" but the storyline is expected to feature a generous helping of 1994 nostalgia.

"Reply 1994" will follows the story of several students from around Korea who come to Seoul to attend university. Since it's 1994, they will no doubt listen to music by Seo Taiji and the Boys, Lee Seung Chul and Kim Gun Mo, watch the drama "Star In My Heart" or  "Last Match" and follow the Korean Basketball League.

Several members of the cast will also be familiar to kdrama fans as they have recently wrapped up or are currently appearing in popular dramas.

Yoo Yeon Soek who played Park Tae So in "Gu Family Book" and Jae Wook in the film "Architecture 101," will play one of three men living in a boarding house while attending Seoul University. Playing his roommates are Jung Woo, who played Seo Jae Wook in "You're the Best Lee Soon Shin," and Kim Sung Kyun, who has a cameo role as a detective in "I Hear Your Voice."

The female lead is actress Go Ara, whose last drama appearance was in "Who Are You?" which she acted in with Yoon Kye Sang. In the last few years she has focused on making films, with her most recent role being Joon in the film "Papa."

Making the drama even more appealing to kpop fans is the addition of Baro of B1A4. The rapper of the group, Baro is the one whose name contributes the B1, as he is the only group member with type B blood.

"Reply 1997" centered on the lives of five friends in Busan, who meet at a high school reunion dinner. The 16-episode story moved back and forth between their lives, starting when they were 18 in 1997. It ended in 2012 when one couple announces they are getting married.

"Reply 1997" was a surprise hit, earning decent ratings and making stars out of its cast. So, there was naturally some discussion on how a sequel might work and what year it might be set in. No one is sure why 1994 was the year chosen for the sequel but there is some speculation that it happened because that was the year director Shin Wo Ho attended university in Seoul. Shooting this film would provide a great opportunity for Shin to indulge in some nostalgia about his own university years.

Shooting for "Reply 1994" begins in a few weeks.

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/9766/20130623/reply-1994-cast-set.htm

Archived