[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

Guest critics

@pegster:  Maybe GT is so eager to kill the three main lead (TH-SN-WY) that even in group pictorial, he doesn't want us to see them still alive and kicking.  :D - JOK -

"[They were] softened by court life and its voluptuous excesses, and cut off from the outer world by a screen of favorites and mistresses, literati and bureaucrats, and so lost virtually every vestige of their Mongol vigor. [They] dwindled away into feebleness, ineptitude, tearful vacillation, and in the hour of disaster, lamentation. Of the barbarian character, they retained only the inability to accustom themselves to the Chinese idea of the state as an abstract entity. Although occupying the throne of the Sons of Heaven, they remained a clan whose members wrangled in public, snatched power from one another, and destroyed one another. At the time of the Chinese rebellion, they were so hopelessly divided among themselves and so bitterly jealous that, rather than unite in face of danger, they let the Chinese overcome them one by one." -The Empire of the Steppes

Due to Emperor TH’s disinterest in governing in the later years, Empress Ki made moves to depose him. She planned to force the emperor to abdicate in favor of Ayushilidala. This was leaked to the emperor and caused further estrangement between the two. Many officials were caught up in this plot, and were either executed, dismissed or demoted, further weakening the government.

In 1363, she sent troops into Korea to replace King Gongmin, with a puppet king of her choosing. She was angered by King Gongmin’s (King CH’s brother) treatment of her family. Of the 10,000 Yuan troops and Japanese soldiers that were sent, only 17 escaped the crushing defeat at the Yalu River.

By then the country was facing rebellion from all factions. Some of the prominent factions included those who supported Crown Prince Ayu and those who were against him. The warlord Bolad Temur was one of those against Ayushilidala being the crown prince. In 1364, Bolad seized the capital, the crown prince fled and Empress Ki was arrested.

Though they asked the emperor to exile her, he refused. Bolad Temur then tried to curb the excessiveness of the emperor, he removed his spiritual guides, his tantric sex teachers etc. He might have garnered support in his new ministerial position, except he kept pushing for Ayu to be replaced as Crown Prince.

Later on, Empress Ki was able to secure her freedom, by sending beautiful Korean girls to him. Emperor TH tricked Bolad to meet with him, and then had hidden assassins execute him as he came through the door. He sent Bolad’s head to Ayu, who was still on the run. Ayu returned and even though TH did not abdicate, Ayu was made grand general of the Yuan armies and lieutenant general of the state. Around this time is when the Bayan Hudu empress died and Empress Ki was promoted to primary empress.

The prolonged infighting gave more power and support to Zhu Yuanzhang, who would become the Hongwu Emperor, the founder and first emperor of the Ming Dynasty. On August 25, 1368, Emperor TH met with his ministers and family and announced his decision to flee the capital. He fled at night with his wives, the crown prince’s wives and other members of the royal family. 

Subsequently, Zhu Yuanzhang captured the capital, with barely any resistance. TH Emperor, Empress Ki and Crown Prince Ayu fled north, were they later established the Northern Yuan dynasty. Some accounts say Empress Ki died a year later, some say she disappeared after Emperor TH died. Emperor TH died in 1370. So Empress Ki either died in 1369 or sometime after 1370. Crown Prince Ayu, went on to become Emperor Zhaozong, and died in 1378.

@critics and everyone - it was my pleasure. Thank you for permitting me to share this hobby of mine and for all your kind words. It has been an interesting experience, watching the drama as it aired and sharing feedback/discussion together. This as definitely been a very vocal thread
:D. Looking forward to the last 2 episodes and hope the EK team goes out with a wonderful bang \m/

@critics Thank you sweetiepie! I'm glad you've enjoyed this ride... for me it's gotten a bit hard, (yeah, I'm becoming bitter...muahahaha) I have not even gotten the guts to watch 49 with subs; this is getting too tragic... TH's character has turned for the worst (I can't stand watching him) - Please note I'm not a hypocrite, I accept I've bashed this character a lot; NOTE THE WORD CHARACTER-, poor TH he's become my anger management pillow hahahaha...I don't understand SN anymore (what does she want? I don't get her), and WY's character it's now so tragic that I'm wishing for him to have an honourable death and join his beloved Byul in the afterlife - of course, by honourable death I mean not being killed by his nemesis - . My only respite in the past episodes has been the awesomeness of TalTal''s character... since I've been her "proud supporter" for a long time... smirk, smirk
All in all, with a weird script, not so great direction, I believe the actors have done a great job within their respective roles. I hope the next role for JCW is something sweet and light; so his fans don't identify him with this character anymore, it demanded too much from him and TH's character it's a hard pill to swallow... For JJM, well, what can I say, I'm bias towards him, I love him doing sageuk I'd like to see him doing another roll as an assassin, I loved him in Bicheonmu...(it's the only drama I've seen like 3-4 times)... for HJW I hope she doesn't do another tragic love triangle soon, although she's so shippable hahaha... And well for our charismatic JYH I'm already on line for his New Leaf drama, dying to see him wearing business suits...
What do I expect for the last two eps... Please Director-nim just give us a good ending, the drama has to end, I won't accept an open ending or a GFB ending...although is too late for requests, I'm sure it's been already filmed... whatever, I stuck with it 'til the end...
Cheers to all, even to you haters of StClaus, that's ok you don't know me and I don't know you so Peace to all and once EK ends MOVE ON AND ENJOY LIFE! All the actors WILL move on, so it's not fair to them to get them stuck within their characters in this drama and turn it into a never ending circle... 
In my side of the world, finally Spring is around the corner (yes we still had snow yesterday), time to plant, ride a bike and shop at every single farmer's market in town. (of course I can't totally leave my k-drama addiction, you may see me commenting in other forums, hope to see some of you there)
Kun Bae!!!!!

Guest chaudinh1609

pegster said: Group photo of EK cast (excluding Ki, TH, and WY) posted by GT on his instagram...could this be those who will be eliminated in the next episode?

Credit: EK DC
New BTS photos from EP 50, saw them on EK Baidu DC.  
Hmm...is it odd that they gave WY a new outfit...let him die in new clothes, or does it mean something else?

Guest adjani1430293095

@critics: thanks babe, you do need to keep up the witty comments ok, must see you in another thread.. well you and the mighty pegster and cherkell :P 
As for the end... I don't have any views... I just want it to be logical :) come what may! 

Guest lorac

I recall that Jang Soon-Yong knew that Bayan and TalTal, along with Dang Ki-Se and his brother were the ones trying to kill Ta Hwan while on the island (episode 2 or 3). How did he ever survive and continue to have such influence with Dowager Empress? Did no one ask why he was able to leave the island when everyone else was killed? His only saving grace was that he was not part of the killing crew, but he sure knew what was going on.

@stclaus - RE: "I don't understand SN anymore (what does she want? I don't get her)"
THANK YOU. for voicing something I've been angsting over for many episodes...like, a dozen.
The writing could have made every other character ride off the rails and I would not have been *too* upset ~but they (writers) skewed the LEAD in such a way that I've been cheesed-off at the whole production for weeks now.Obviously not enough to stop watching altogether  - because even as addicted as I am to Kdramas - I WILL drop a drama that sucks like a black hole *cough-Mirae's Choice-cough* .
Just so you know ~even though I've been a very vocal Ta Hwan supporter -- I would flip 1,000 tables if Wang Yoo's life is wasted in these final hours by some form of Noble Suicide. F-that. Give him a fine horse and let him ride back to Goryeo with his crew ~is that tooooo much to ask?
(prepares to flip tables ~   (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ )

Guest critics

@adjani said to critics: thanks babe, you do need to keep up the witty comments ok, must see you in another thread.. well you and the mighty pegster and cherkell

You're welcome, chingu! and thanks for your invitation - so flattered!  :P

Wish this EK drama has no end - LoL

@DJG - it's our pleasure and advantage also to have you here as our history teacher.  When I took history subject, I almost got a failure grade, glad that my teacher just let me sing our National Anthem as part of my removal test otherwise there will be no other chance.    :D

@pegster, good eyes, good observation about the group picture. I didn't realize that the "villains" of the drama are in the pic until I read your post. Maybe I can have high hope that the main leads won't die. Writers, please, I need a happy ending!!!  :)>-

Guest larabn

@critics
Thank you sweetie, you're so sweet and I will surely miss your funny pics and sense of humor :) *big bear hug*

I will not go to naming cuz I know I will miss out people and then I will feel bad for forgetting to mention them
so pardon me for speaking in general :)
EK experience wouldn't have been the same without you guys and I'm happy to get to meet really nice and great friends and soompiers through here. I hope we meet in another thread with another HJW drama :) Thank you all for the great posts whether it's live recaps, funny screencaps, insightful posts, news, BTS, gifs and pics, translations and insightful arguments. I also would like at the end of this drama to apologize if I offended anybody in any of my posts :)
*big group hug* OMO there are way too many people in this group hug, my arms hurt now :P

I watched the preview yesterday but I didn't dare to even comment about it cuz, first, as usual it will be misleading maybe and second, I've prepared myself that it might be a tragic end and that I will go through Kdrama depression after it ends like WHIB. I hope not but I think it will be sad ..... I loved how SN looks with her hair down and riding a horse in the preview, she looks gorgeous :)

6 more hours and we will be flipping beds and sofas now since I'm sure the tables and chairs in your house are all ruined already :P

I'm ready for the spoilers from those who will get to watch empress ki finale first :D but first of all I've got to focus on doing my behind the wheels, lol I know for a fact that I'll be distracted by thinking of empress ki. Hopefully I'll come back in one piece.

Empress Ki Wrap Up Party originally scheduled to be held on the 30th but decided to cancel the event due to Sewol Ferry Accident

Cr: ladykate1023 Twitter

EDIT:
10299657_278357589004918_19500009_n.jpg

Cr: bangchigu IG

EDIT 2:

Taltal meets Baek Jin Hee

10173548_281759121984844_837413971966890

Cr: MBC, muchadoaboutlove Twitter

Guest critics

@larabn said:  6 more hours and we will be flipping beds and sofas now since I'm sure the tables and chairs in your house are all ruined already

Me, I will be watching EK at the treetop :P at least if ever one, two or all of my favorite 3 main leads die (hope the writers/pdnim will not be as morbid as me), only my loptop will be ruined and I still have a bed to lie down, a pillow to hug - representing EK soompiers, and a blanket to wipe out all my tears of frustrations. 

@larabn:  You're welcome! I will be missing your posts and wits also.
=D>

Guest adjani1430293095

sally_b: I don't ship either of the male leads and I too also think they could have done better with TH as well as some of the other bits like the suddenly evil Golta, sorry the dude was so cute in the beginning that his menacing ways in these last few episodes just makes me want to laugh all the time .... like when he took off his mask and EL Plague and Curly hair went "... AH... GOL.... TA"... sorry, I just laughed.. I was in no way menaced...
For TH, I liked him because well he is human very much like most emperors in history, not great but trying to be... very rarely are there very great emperors and I liked SY helping him.. just like in WY case, it was him leading SY and her following. 

And similarly with the new empress.. other than stirring "richard simmons" er... what was her role? To fit history? She was like some spoilt sociopath that just set out to "hurt" people because she could as an empress but to no real end? sigh... and I could go on.. but well its a drama... and there will generally be some discontent or dislike of something. 
My only fav in the entire drama is TT.. for consistency, and good treatment of character.. could be even better but no real discontent for that one. 
Now whats left is the ending .... we shall all wait and see if we end up throwing the kitchen sink at the writers, have a huge disparity between those who loved it and those that hated it ... or ... dun dun dun! :P 

Guest geilbladder

I didnt fix my bedroom when i woke up for work today. This is preparation for flipping everything within my reach. :)) also i've prepared my tissue (2 boxes). I am soo ready. I'm glad i was able to kill time in the office. Now the dilema of waiting for 4hours. The only way to kill the remaining time is to sleep. Good thing i'm tired. I hope not to over sleep or else i'll flip the whole house. Hahahaha! =)) >:):)) >:):))

@geilbladder i'm so nervous about tonight episode. Don't know why, it's remind me how i feel when it's time to reveal the husband in Reply 1994. Refresh the page just in case there are some spoiler, feel sad in the same time coz next week will feel different with the drama end. ARRGGGGGG   ~X( Feel frustated even it's not aired yet.
I decide not to join the live recap until it's 30 minutes aires. Just incase my heart can't cointain for someone being dead. Though now i can't sleep either 8-}