[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

I say this as a person who doesn't ship Nyang with either of the two main love interests.
You know, even halfway through the show I never thought of Ta Hwan as a serious love interest for Seung Nyang and I didn't think the writers would go there but when they had her declare her love in a random episode I was perplexed because like prior to the last 10 episodes, their love story has mostly been one-sided. Lord knows Ta Hwan did nothing of worth to make her fall in love with him and he doesn't have any of the qualities she values in a person. But oh well.
I think my biggest problem with Ta Hwan is how uninteresting he is. I've liked evil characters. I've liked bad characters. And my favorite characters have mostly been grey (leaning more into their dark selves). But Ta Hwan is just.. there. Bad characters make for interesting character studies. They are cunning, manipulative, smart, and most of them are brave and have conviction. Ta Hwan has none of those qualities. You could substitute him with a sock just propped there to act as emperor and it wouldn't make a difference (I'm talking about the character but the actor himself is BRILLIANT). I hope they make him interesting in the last two episodes and we see him actually HAVE conviction and take a stand about something that actually matters and not just act rashly and do stupid things. I doubt that'll happen though. If he does die and his death causes a reaction then that would be the most interesting thing he ever did. 
At this point I don't think she should end up with anyone. Although I've seen traces of her love for Wang Yu every now and then, it's been a long time and so much has happened. There are loves that are worth fighting for but this isn't one of them. I can't see them ending up together either. I don't know what ending to expect but I hope it ends well for my two favorite characters at least. They better not kill TT off or I will rage. 

TT must have woken SN fm her sleep to alert her that TH left to go after WY? Here he disclosed WY's role in the grain distribution as well as counterfeit currencies to topple Eagle House? Being surrounded and just as TH is about to strike at WY, SN arrives and pleaded to spare WY's life and Maha is dead and is now history for WY and herself?
It has to be something really convincing and exceptional plea by SN.. during the ceremony TH had that look of nervous contentment when he took SN's hand.. as if thinking to himself.. "WY can now go to Hell 'cos SN finally convinced me that she will never ever leave my side again?"

Guest Issy_1

I am so shocked to read such hatred towards TH in previous pages . Even if it wasn't meant to be on this thread, But To wish him such death? It's fine if you don't like the character but to be this harsh and cruel?

I'm witnessing the sad side of fandom in which such hateful views are expressed so easily ignoring the facts that they are only fictional characters in a drama, written with previous intentions in writers minds.

It's a shame that you spend the whole 6 months hating & bashing the other character when you could have fun and enjoy yours.

Just remember, it's only a drama!

Good day everyone. Did you see the picture of Th with the matured look. I don't know how to post it here but I seen it in Facebook. I am excited for Monday and Tuesday for EK. I just wish it will be nice ending. Thank you to all. I am still enjoying all the post and insights of everyone. We are in 1348 post now from the last time I check. This thread is really active. You will feel different emotion while reading the post & insights.sometimes you can't control your emotion and the result is debating with each other in the end of the debate you will learn a lot. Really amazing how we analyze each other post and insights. The point of view and the research that other do was really great. For that I give bravo to all and more power. Love you all and fighting empress ki until the end.

@Issy_1 I agree, I was very horrify by that person's comment I couldn't even continue reading that. I wouldn't wish that kind of death on my worst enemy. To make such cruel and disgusting comments really makes me sad because I come here to escape my life of work, college, and stress. This thread was created for everyone who watches and love Empress Ki to come together and share thoughts. We might sometimes disagree on some characters but we have to be careful not to cross the line and post comments that are just harsh and cruel. 

@ChelseaS Looks like a dream sequence, maybe a nightmare.

Thanks for the picture. Only 32 Hours until episode 50 airs.

Maybe Ki is having a nightmare and TH is next to her, he hears her calling out his name, telling him not to leave her behind. He takes her hands and wakes her up, they hug tigtly and TH decides that he needs to protect her no matter what so goes after WY.

Yep. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Apparently that person meant to post it on wanyang forum, but accidently posted on this forum instead, but Either way it was extremely rude and harsh of that person. The level of hatred towards ta hwan from that single person had exceed to the maximum.

@Jericho0810 @Issy_1 @everypart Since there are one two episodes left, lets just let go of everything and enjoy the drama as it unfolds, we have no say in it.

Regardless of who we like, TH, WY, TT, DK...they are all characters that are meant to be different from each other. If we had the same character for all of them, then it would be a bore.

Anyway, the most handsome, smartest, bravest, most loyal and totally awesome male in the drama is...

1932064311_9c64cf92.jpg

Got two kings falling in love with him didn't he, even attracted a psycho and a genius as well.

I hate to say it as much as I love that opening scene initially with all it’s grandeur, and questions of doubt, sadness of loss that it evokes, it probably handicapped the writers in the end as they had to bend the evolving storyline to correlate with that scene much to detriment of the overall drama and the character development. Hence the nonsensical ludicrous plot lines, inconsistent, and erratic characterizations.
We all have differing opinions about the story and the characters and that is fine. But to express an opinion with such bitterness and anger because the story is not going the way you want is really not called for. 
Joo Jin Mo is  a fine actor but the writers never fleshed out his character enough to make him relatable to the general audience or at least to me. Admittedly, the lesser screen time did not help but to his credit as a veteran actor JJM has made the most of it.  Stoic, dignified, and unwavering are all fine admirable qualities but if there is barely any evolution in the character then it’s really hard to keep the audience interest especially if it’s a main character in my opinion.
Also, Ta Hwan is no longer a puppet emperor, he is a misguided and impaired Emperor, as the writers decided to make him an alcoholic, drugged and insane. If having insecurities is a flaw, then we are all guilty of that and it's a sign of being human. Ta Hwan has felt everything from loneliness, despair, fear, anger, rage, hate, love, joy, jealousy to insanity. That’s what makes his character so interesting for me, I  guess because my personal preference is to watch a human rather than an ideal.
That said, I am looking forward to this journey’s end and hope for the best ending possible for each of the characters.

palilsan said: I hate to say it as much as I love that opening scene initially with all it’s grandeur, and questions of doubt, sadness of loss that it evokes, it probably handicapped the writers in the end as they had to bend the evolving storyline to correlate with that scene much to detriment of the overall drama and the character development. Hence the nonsensical ludicrous plot lines, inconsistent, and erratic characterizations.
We all have differing opinions about the story and the characters and that is fine. But to express an opinion with such bitterness and anger because the story is not going the way you want is really not called for. 
Joo Jin Mo is  a fine actor but the writers never fleshed out his character enough to make him relatable to the general audience or at least to me. Admittedly, the lesser screen time did not help but to his credit as a veteran actor JJM has made the most of it.  Stoic, dignified, and unwavering are all fine admirable qualities but if there is barely any evolution in the character then it’s really hard to keep the audience interest especially it it’s a main character in my opinion.
Also, Ta Hwan is no longer a puppet emperor, he is a misguided and impaired Emperor, as the writers decided to make him an alcoholic, drugged and insane. If having insecurities is a flaw, then we are all guilty of that and it's a sign of being human. Ta Hwan has felt everything from loneliness, despair, fear, anger, rage, hate, love, joy, jealousy to insanity. That’s what makes his character so interesting for me, I  guess because my personal preference is to watch a human rather than an ideal.
That said, I am looking forward to this journey’s end and hope for the best ending possible for each of the characters.

palilsan said:Also, Ta Hwan is no longer a puppet emperor, he is a misguided and impaired Emperor, as the writers decided to make him an alcoholic, drugged and insane. If having insecurities is a flaw, then we are all guilty of that and it's a sign of being human. Ta Hwan has felt everything from loneliness, despair, fear, anger, rage, hate, love, joy, jealousy to insanity. That’s what makes his character so interesting for me, I  guess because my personal preference is to watch a human rather than an ideal.

@everypartYes, we have differing opinions on Ta Hwan. I guess it depends on how you define maturity. If maturity means not having any insecurities or at least being able to hide them then Ta Hwan is not mature because he still coping with them. I disagree that Ta Hwan has not grown. Ta Hwan has changed a lot from the unconditional lovestruck puppy for Seung Nyang.  A few episodes back after the governors ask for WY’s release and their confrontation afterwards, he asked how she got the backing of the governors and she replied it was WY that helped her fund it. He said you did not believe in me and told her her to get out. He actually stood up for himself where the old Ta Hwan would have just taken it. He also surprised SY when she gave him the ultimatum of her or Baekhan and he said both or neither.
He has tried to become more independent, unfortunately being saddled with an addiction to alcohol, being drugged and lunacy, as well trusting the wrong people around him, his attempts have been severely hampered. I would not call it immature for trying. In fact I think he’s gone far from immature to sadly a more darker, scarred person. His reactions to situations considering the condition he is understandable in a sense. This is not an excuse for his behaviour but part of the makeup of his character currently. Maybe he’s not worth your time, that is fine. Then there is no need to discuss him any further. As for me, I still have hope for his character and am rooting for him to work through his demons whether brought on by himself or others. I’m not willing to give up on him nor his relationship with Seung Nyang and the love they have for each other. Ta Hwan is what is keeping my interest going in this drama and I understand that may not be your reason.

SN trust TT & WY not TH

because of politic so she must love TH ,If SN is not wisdom enough ... she would be die by stupid TH ....many times ....

Empress can love all 3 super men ... why not ?? the King can have 10-100 women right ???

Guest ThaoL1430293631

Sure, TH is the character keep me watching EK not a perfect character. A perfect chacracter is boring, unreal. if want to see a interesting hero, I can see Jumong, Iron man, Spider man,walking dead...The love between TH and SN keep me watching with so much emotion. I love HJW and JCW.