[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

Guest sicknine

@KyoRean I don't think Gi Cheol character will appears in this drama because he's busy to take the throne in Goryeo :))But maybe if they show Empress Gi childhood story first, we likely will see Gi Cheol as her brother kekekekekeke

Ha Ji Won to Play the Role of Empress Ki in "Hwatu"

Ha Ji Won

It has been a great year for historical kdramas, especially those that consider the lives of women in Korea's history. "Jang Ok Jung" took a new look at the life of the much-despised concubine and the upcoming "Goddess of Fire," starring Moon Geun Young and Kim Beom, will relate the story of the royal potter Baek Pa Sun.

And now a new drama, "Hwatu," starring Ha Ji Won, will reexamine the colorful story of a real-life historical figure, Empress Ki.

In 50-plus episodes, this saga will tell the story of Lady Ki, who was sent to the Yuan Dynasty as a tribute. Lady Ki was said to be beautiful and so talented in singing, dancing and poetry that she captured the heart of the emperor.

She first became a royal concubine then bore the emperor a son that eventually ruled the Yuan dynasty. Ki was promoted to first imperial consort and helped shape the future of the Yuan Dynasty as well as politics in her own country. She engaged in a lot of political maneuvering and in the end disappeared without a trace, so "Hwatu" is bound to be rich in plots and schemes.

According to the production company, this drama will also focus on her love story.

"The empress' ardent love story, which has never before been told, is beautiful but sad," said a representative of the production company. "Ha Ji Won will bring her unique sensibility and charisma to the role."

Ha Ji Won is most famous for playing stuntwoman Gil Ra Im in "Secret Garden" and was recently seen as the North Korean secret agent Kim Hang Ah in the drama "King 2 Hearts," as well as playing Jin Ok in the film "The Huntresses."

She is a very dedicated actress who spends a lot of time preparing for roles, whether that involves learning martial arts or learning how to ride a motorcycle, so it will be interesting to see what her preparation for this role entails. The actress also recently discussed how seriously she takes her roles and how difficult it can be to leave her characters behind. She admitted that she was so invested in her role in one film, that she needed counseling to process the film's traumatic ending. Hopefully this version of Empress Ki's history will have a hopeful ending.

The rest of the cast has not yet been chosen. The drama is written by Jang Yeong Cheol and Jeong Kyeong Soon I, who worked together on "Giant" and "Salaryman."

Han Heui will direct. He directed "Dr. Jin" and "Over the Rainbow."

Credits: KDramaStars

Guest OreoVampire

sicknine said: @KyoRean I don't think Gi Cheol character will appears in this drama because he's busy to take the throne in Goryeo :))But maybe if they show Empress Gi childhood story first, we likely will see Gi Cheol as her brother kekekekekeke

Korean Actress Ha Ji Won To Play The Role of Empress Ki in “Hwatu.”

The article was already posted by @e3bulli3nt. :)) In 50-plus episodes, this saga will tell the story of Lady Ki, who was sent to the Yuan Dynasty as a tribute. Lady Ki was said to be beautiful and so talented in singing, dancing and poetry that shecaptured the heart of the emperor. (I would love to this side of Ha Ji Won in a different era! so exciting :x )

She is a very dedicated actress who spends a lot of time preparing for roles, whether that involves learning martial arts or learning howto ride a motorcycle, so it will be interesting to see what her preparation for this role entails. The actress also recently discussed how seriously she takes her roles and how difficult it can be to leave her characters behind. She admitted that she was so invested in her role in one film, that she needed counseling to process the film’s traumatic ending. Hopefully this version of Empress Ki’s history will have a hopeful ending. 

Just reposted the excerpts that I loved. :x 

Guest OreoVampire

mssegacrazy said:  Lady Ki was said to be beautiful and so talented in singing, dancing and poetry that shecaptured the heart of the emperor(I would love to this side of Ha Ji Won in a different era! so exciting :x )

HJW character in here should be more challenging & tumultuous than HJY in a sense that Empress Qi or Gi Ja-o (奇子敖) is quite manipulative in terms of politic and she climbed her way up the ranks (she started as palace maid and tea server) and she have to fight against her husband (Emperor Huizong, the last emperor of Yuan dynasty) primary wife and Mongolian ministers to put her son on the throne.
There's even a rumor saying that she was given to Zhu Yuan Zhang (Emperor Hongwu of Ming) as concubine after Yuan dynasty fell. 
Costume wise, I think MBC is going with the costumes similar to [Faith] (which is historically inaccurate, but I don't think it matters to Korean audience anyway coz they still look lovely onscreen. Though it will be quite humorous for Chinese based audience like me seeing Faith costumes in Yuan court settings. Influenced by nomadic Mongolian culture, the Yuan robes are normally more heavy & tight fitting, and they like braiding and beading ornaments.
U1326P28DT20130313144926.jpg

Guest cunn

I read about Empress Ki/Qi on Wikipedia, sound interesting. Can't wait to see how Ha Ji Won embody Empress Qi character.
Want to share fanmade video of my dream couple HJW-LJK. They look good together :)

class="post-title"Ha Ji Won Gets Leggy for Crocodile Lady 

By Joanne+ on May 17, 2013 | 0 Comments

Ha Ji Won

Ha Ji Won shows off her Girls’ Generation level legs for casual brand Crocodile Lady’s new Smart Merrill Pants. The actress is modeling colorful skinny pants like that of Girl’s Generation “Gee” fashion, showing off her sleek hourglass figure.

Crocodile Lady’s design team director Jung So Young explained, “The ‘Smart Merrill Pants’ use micro-fiber fabric with excellent ventilation and drying effects, illustrating soft fit and elastic features. Also, applying the full dull method for UV protection is perfect for the spring weather.”

The director added, “This spring’s trend is candy color. We launched this product incorporating this flashy design, allowing for a stylish look even matching with a single white shirt. Also, with such eagerness nowadays, a boxy-styled jumper or tailored jacket would match, creating a cheerful casual look to a sophisticated office look.”

Smart Merrill Pants come in a total of six variety colors such as black, navy, red, gray, and beige, with a price tag of $94.00.

(Source: nate news)
http://blog.dramafever.com/2013/05/ha-ji-won-models-for-crocodile-lady-spring-edition/
  [ /spoiler]

Guest aemi

Re: Empress Ki being given to the Hongwu emperor as a concubine (at age 45!), that story was nonsensical and a complete myth that was likely invented to slander the Yongle emperor.

Empress Ki was surely a strong woman. I am glad she is the main character. Usually in sageuks the men are the central of the stories and the women are supporting. I am glad this time the woman will be equal to man. I am curious who will be the male lead. I don`t have a favorite. Many good actors could fit the role. I have to wait and see their choices.I am sure I will be pleased.

From what I read about the real history of Empress Ki, the ending of this will be quite mysterious. They could create a proper ending. It could be tragic, bittersweet, happy or open. I trust the writers of Hwatu to write a good script.

Guest pandora460

cunn said: I read about Empress Ki/Qi on Wikipedia, sound interesting. Can't wait to see how Ha Ji Won embody Empress Qi character.
Want to share fanmade video of my dream couple HJW-LJK. They look good together :)

GREAT VID @cunn

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bashful

OMG I will be seeing her on small screen for 60 eps....I am happy!!!! I love her acting....I hope they chose a cute male lead.....If his acting is not great it's ok becuz HJW will make him shine too

Empress Gi was featured in Shin-Don and not a sympathetic character, it will be interesting to learn more about her.  Very much looking forward to this one.  SOOOOO happy it will be as long as it is projected to be, love to settle into something of this length :)