[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

52 minutes ago, Nodame said:

Hi All!

I am considering joining Empress Ki. I always wanted to watch this drama. I haven't watched ep 1-2 yet. But def would like to join the party. 

My one friend LOVES this drama and was surprised I had not watched it yet.

Just wanted to stop in and say hi! I am part of the "The Moon Embraces the Sun" rewatch party as well.

Cheers and take care.

Nodame

YAY!

Come play with us. :)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Nodame said:

Hi All!

I am considering joining Empress Ki. I always wanted to watch this drama. I haven't watched ep 1-2 yet. But def would like to join the party. 

My one friend LOVES this drama and was surprised I had not watched it yet.

Just wanted to stop in and say hi! I am part of the "The Moon Embraces the Sun" rewatch party as well.

Cheers and take care.

Nodame

@Nodame You should most definitely join the re-watch party! :heart1:

We have watched the first two episodes! Last day to comment on those is tomorrow, but feel free to comment later whenever you have a chance to start watching the drama! :)

Starting on Wednesday, we are allowed to comment on ep 3, 4 and 5.

We just decided to increase the weekly episode number to 3 (from the original 2), as the drama is so long.

By increasing to 3 episodes per week, we should be able to finish the drama by Christmas.

• Like 6

Thanks for the warm welcome and touched to see familiar names. I appreciate it!

@Jillia @partyon @chickfactor Very sweet and lovely welcomes to join this Empress Ki watch party. :glee:

I cannot wait to tell my friend I am FINALLY watching it! I agree 50 episodes watching alone was daunting and I admit I was not thinking of any incentive to watch it on my own. But with others and being able to talk about it would be LOVELY. I already know I love the actors in this DRAMA and think the MEN are HOT. So glad to have a reason to watch this classic drama. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 8/24/2020 at 12:48 PM, Nodame said:

I already know I love the actors in this DRAMA and think the MEN are HOT. So glad to have a reason to watch this classic drama. 

Yes, the emperor is cute.

Goryeo king is hot.

And Tal Tal is very hot. (that voice!)

And let's not forget how awesome Ha Ji Won is as Seung Nyang.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Guys, I am watching ep 4 now! Will post my thoughts after I've watched ep 5.

JCW showed his abs!!!!!

:rip:

photo370152.jpg

Gotta give it to him! His abs have grown more defined the older he's gotten.... I'm not complaining, though.... :D

The bath scene was so funny. :D

AAAABcFrljfRcKN08rPGb8ITYN-uOcUhRU7-J1iU

fc730de25e356c4bd4268ce0245e7cdb.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, partyon said:

Guys, I am watching ep 4 now! Will post my thoughts after I've watched ep 5.

JCW showed his abs!!!!!

Gotta give it to him! His abs have grown more defined the older he's gotten.... I'm not complaining, though.... :D

He had some crazy abs game going on during warrior baek dong-soo/ bachelor's vegetable store days too :D

I'm late for the party. I'll catch up with the episodes this week.  :dead:

• Like 2
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@Fandomized Q

Do not worry! :D No pressure here. It's all supposed to be fun.

But definitely post your thoughts when you get to the episodes it's gonna be interesting to read different point of views. :D

Agree @Fandomized Q ! Take your time!

My thoughts will be incoherent. :D I'm still struggling to understand the history and I am giggling half of the time, which is worrisome because I have been told this is not a comedy... :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Wow, Ep. 4 was amazing.

First, the epic love triangle is in place. You've got her and the Yuan Prince playfully diving on each other in the water after a beautiful slo-mo horse ride on the beach. Then you've got the Goryeo king feeling jealous but not knowing why, having dreams about her, feeling sexually confused... hahaha.

The fun doesn't last, though. Because this episode is when stuff gets real. Seung Nyang's father finding out who she is was heartbreaking. And then you've got the Yuan prince having an amazing moment. He's been acting like a whiny baby all this time, but you see that he's dealing with a lot of fear, grief, and really does have the weight of the world on his shoulders. And when he talks Bayan out of assassinating him, it's pretty great to watch. He does have strength, wits and smarts. And I loved the ZOMG look on Seung Nyang's face.

El Temur is the worst! So cruel. Chews the scene so deliciously. Great villain.

Tal Tal with the velvet voice and the velvet hair continues to be his velvet self.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Okay, I finally finished ep 3, 4 and 5.

I am starting to get the hang of sageuks (thank you to all the chingus @Jillia @Lmangla @Berou @Sleepy Owl who have been patiently explaining things to me like I am a 5 year old.... :joy: )

Anyway, I am really liking the story, and surprisingly enough I am feeling quite invested already in JCW prince (Toghon Temür) and Seung Nyang. I like that we can already see him starting to understand that his own actions are quite selfish and that he's a spoiled brat. Seung Nyang is risking her life for him (albeit because she wants to save her father), but he's realizing that he needs to step up and think of her too. She is inspiring him to become more courageous and think of his people. She is really helping to form him into an emperor.
I am glad to see character development this early into the drama, even though he will have a lot of traumas to overcome (poor baby is having nightmares a lot).

It's almost like they are friends at this point already, even though she must be feeling very conflicted about it, as his empire is the ultimate reason her mother died and the people of Koryeo are suffering...

Lol at the Coffee Prince "why am I starting to have feelings towards Seung Nyang - he's a man!" :joy: Both the King and JCW prince are thoroughly confused at their sexual desires awakening when she is around.... Totally brings back memories of Coffee Prince, no?

screen-shot-2013-12-17-at-1-28-11-pm.png

screen-shot-2013-12-17-at-1-29-19-pm.png

(credit: https://drunksondrama.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/empress-ki-episode-5/)

Finally someone has realized that Seung Nyang is a woman, but I still can't believe the main male leads are so dense that they haven't caught on that they are attracted to a woman, not a man.... :D

Also:

• I hope they don't kill any more dogs in this drama
  • "Kill me!" must be the most used phrase in this drama?
  • And please explain to me why there are so many old evil ugly dudes in this sageuk?

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

@partyon everyone wanted to have the power to rule the country or have alliance with the people who had the power.

I have always likes the villains in sageuk.  because usually they are complex individual who believes that they are the best choice to country. Not every villain are jealous to the king(the main woman loves the king not them.)  we have had those villain as well.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

HI Gang!  Apologies for going MIA - I had some work and family issues pop up this past month that needed dealing with.  But I'm back and hope to join in on #2 of my favourite sageuks (WBDS being #1, of course).  I actually own the Japanese version of EK on DVD, and still can't believe the drama is as fresh as it was when released in 2013!

There was a massively huge kerfuffle that arose when the premise was first mentioned in the press.  I wrote about it in my long-dormant personal blog back then:  ‘Empress Ki’ – A Pre-Cap (aka “Why All The Fuss, People?”).

If time allows, I'll try to catch up over the Labor Day holiday weekend.  In the meantime, enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1

@faithwalker @cherkell Welcome both to the fabulous Empress Ki re-watch party!!!!!!!!!!

Yay!
:getmygrooveon:

We just started the re-watch a few weeks ago. We are allowed to start posting our thoughts about new episodes every Wednesday.

That means that we are allowed to post about episodes 6, 7, 8 next week's Wednesday.

Some people here (e.g. @Jillia and myself) are watching this for the first time, but there are plenty of people here who are watching it for the nth time. :)

Feel free to join in on the fun at any point! :kiss_wink:

EDIT: @cherkell Thanks for sharing your blog post :kiss_wink:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Empress Ki Poll 3: OED (Old Evil Dude)

A new poll is up! Yay!

Let's talk about Old Evil Dudes (OED).....

Seems sageuks are full of them.

Now is your time to vote on the most evil OED in Empress Ki. Some may even be OEUDs (Old Evil Ugly Dudes) - ugly because they have an ugly heart.... :triumph:

Just answer the questions on top of the page and feel free to add your comments and thoughts in the thread.

1. Who is the most evil OED (Old Evil Dude) in the drama?

Wang Go (OEUD 1)

photo365858.jpg

El Temür (OEUD 2)

eltemur.jpg

2. Who of the younger characters are on the road to become OEDs (Old Evil Dudes) as they age?

Tangqishi (aka Taeyang)  (look at the blood AND the smile on his face....:scream:)

photo388019.jpg

Yeom Byung Soo (yeah, so you had a sad childhood... that doesn't justify your attempts to kill oppa!)

Spoiler

38644372684cd52302cd536e2a456b63079723ff

Bayan (why didn't you get a wig in the drama? - it would make you look even more evil!)

Spoiler

MV5BMDMzMzM0MjYtODFmMy00NTdiLWE1ZTItNmRj

Tal Tal (you're cute and all but let's not forget that you tried to assassin oppa!)

Spoiler

original.jpg

Talahai (despite your nice wavy hair, you can't fool us)

Spoiler

3ef5e1579a94d15be8132d2fd4288eab.jpg

Hmmmm.... Wonder what hair products he's using?

tagging: @Lmangla @Jillia @Sleepy Owl @cherkell @faithwalker @chickfactor @joccu @MayanEcho  @Nodame @Fandomized Q

@Lmangla @kehrite @MVM

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

@partyon ~ it is hilarious but many of those guys on the list have gone on to play as a baddie/questionable character in so many dramas that the moment I see the face in a drama, immediately alarm bells ring -- evil dude! don't trust him! :lol:.... but sometimes, they play good characters as well that it can be bit confusing.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

On 8/29/2020 at 10:31 PM, partyon said:

Yeom Byung Soo (yeah, so you had a sad childhood... that doesn't justify your attempts to kill oppa!)

This actor is great. He plays a lot of bad guys - I recently saw him play a super-evil guy in "99 billion won woman." And he won one of those end-of-year awards for it. When he gave his speech, he said, "Thank you. But I would like to play someone nice. I think I could do well in a nice role like in 'When Camellia Blooms'." It was funny.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Hi Everyone!

I am excited and slow late start to the party. I have to read the other pages (sorry I have not yet ). I am at work 

I just watched ep 1-2 last night/early morning. If it was not 3am I would want to marathon a bit  more. OMG love it!

Awwww thoughts so far:

-Hunky men in costume--JJM, LCW and the actor as Tal Tal as the top three in my head

-I love Ha Ji Won but SERIOUSLY they thought she was a MAN ---really? Not believable she is too PRETTY

I mean the Crown Prince and all note her scrawny frame, then when the Crown Prince tried to teach her to play the instrument and noted her SOFT hands and the many times she PUSHED Him off her and even smacked him for trying to look at her wound on her leg (from the arrow). Big signs. Looking forward to him falling in love with her

(She was gorgeous in ep 1 in full Empress Regalia.)

-Just saw Ji Chang Wook in ep 3, hmmm interesting he is sickly and nervous and from Yuan. Then in beginning of Ep 1 --he in love with Ha Ji Won's character but seems a bit obsessive.

Saw the actor as Tal Tal this episode (though I never saw the drama before now), my friends all told me the HUNKY men and showed me their scenes 

-The beginning of Ep 1 to see that Empress Ki saved her former Crown Prince's life now King of now Korea

(dang hints of how the Emperor is obsessed with Empress Ki). The concubine now Empress, she claws her way from orphan of woman who was being sent to China as part of Korea's tribute. Then finding her dad finally, OMG so far she has not told him. I loved how her skills caused him to immediately hire her ---her prowess with the bow and arrow (seeing the early years imagining her bleeding hands) to perfect her archery skills

-Love The Jackal's tribe behind her in front her dad the Commander saying to protect her and she is leading them to get back their female members back from China. I loved how her dad --let her go hearing this. Especially RIGHT after hearing his beloved and his daughter were "killed" 10 yrs prior after searching. The matching Phoenix/Dragon ? rings are gorgoeous. I guess she really had it hidden i was surprised it did not come out for the Commander to see -but she had it deeply buried under her clothing.

Looking forward to the time the former Crown Prince now King finds out that the Jackal is a woman (did see stirrings of attraction ) also the fact he said--I miss Jackal and want him by my side

-I saw the Chinese Prince in Korea and stumbling upon the Jackal bathing. So he falls in love with her first after finding out her identity? Hmmm not sure.

Thanks for humoring me as I am slowly catching up.

I need to go back and read the pages I missed in this rewatch party. Again so excited to join and FINALLY see this epic drama I have been MEANING to see.

• Like 4
  • Love 2